Harmonies
Eagleheart  

Chapters

Author's Note
Prologue

1. Overture
2. Rubato
3. Scherzo
4. Vivace et Affettuoso
5. D.S. al Coda
6. Dolente
7. Harmony and Dissonance
8. Impetuoso
9. Morendo



I like Cyr. I’ve mentioned this before, but it’s worth bringing up again, because I really, really like Cyr. She’s got to be one of the nicest people on the face of the planet. Cyr should be a mother. She’d be very good at it. She sort of gathers a group of people together and takes care of them. One time, I came home from a mission in Icicle and came down with a cold, or the flu, or pneumonia, or something. I dunno what it was, if it was even anything, but it was one of those things where you lie in bed for days on end, just wishing to die.

Anyway, Cyr hadn’t seen me around for a few days, and was kinda worried about that, so she had the maintenance guy get my apartment open for her. Then she yelled at me for a while, because I hadn’t had the sense to call somebody. And then she spent the next few days making sure I didn’t die. Or whatever. I’m sure I would’ve gotten over it eventually, but it sure helped to have Cyr around.

The reason I mention this is because, a couple days or so after the thing in Costa del Sol, she came and found me alone in the lounge, gluing the pages of all St. Andrew’s porno magazines together. He keeps them hidden on a ledge on the underside of the pool table, and I don’t think he thinks anybody knows about them, but I do. Or I did. He’s moved them since, and I haven’t found them again yet, but I probably will.

It’s weird. I have one hell of a time devoting attention to most important things. I’m bad at concentrating on them, because I guess they make me nervous. But, when I hit upon the right stupid and pointless activity, I have the ability to put a remarkable amount of effort and energy into it.

In any case, Cyr happened across me, sitting beside the pool table, with a tube of glue, diligently gluing the pages of St. Andrew’s magazines together. “What in the world are you doing?” she asked critically.

“I’m gluing all Andrew’s porn together,” I told her brightly, not looking up.

“Why in god’s name are you doing that?” Cyr questioned incredulously.

I stopped and looked down at the stack of magazines I’d finished gluing, and the open pages of last one, which I was working through. There was absolutely nothing to be gained by gluing the pages of Andrew’s porn together, except maybe a small victory for the moral minority, though it wasn’t really, because he’d just go out and buy more, thus fueling the industry. I don’t particularly care about the relative morality of St. Andrew’s obsession with naked women. I don’t even actually have anything against St. Andrew. I just wanted something to do. “Well. Hmm. I didn’t really stop to think of a reason. I don’t honestly know why I’m doing it. I just am, I guess. Wanna help? I’m pretty near done, but he might have more under the couch and I could find more glue…”

Cyr stared at me for a few moments, then laughed. “Sometimes, Reno, you’re just too much,” she said affectionately, and patted me on the head. Cyr also pats people. It’s weird, but I guess I don’t really mind. “He’s going to be very mad at you when he finds out you’ve done this, do you know that?”

I shrugged. “That’s assuming he catches me at it. I’m almost done. And he’s upstairs making a report to Tseng right now. So he won’t catch me. But if you tell him, I’ll deny it.”

She laughed again. “I won’t tell him. I was looking for you. Are you busy tonight?”

“No…why? Whatcha have in mind?”

Cyr shrugged. “I’m rounding everybody up for a picnic. As soon as Andrew’s done reporting to Tseng, they’ll both be coming down to join us. And Tseng will be bringing a new Turk with him.”

“New Turk! Hey, a new Turk!” This was news. And good news, too. I like other Turks. “Guy or girl, Cyr?”

“A guy, I think. I don’t know for sure. Are you going to come along and meet him?”

“Yeah! Are you ready to go with all the stuff? Can I bring anything?”

Cyr smiled. “Blankets. Old ones. And then bring a car around to the elevators. Don’t try to cook anything. Is that all right?”

I also like it that Cyr doesn’t make me feel stupid about what I can and can’t do. I can’t cook. Not to save my life. Cyr doesn’t mind, though, and she doesn’t make me feel badly about it. “Yeah, I can do that. Are we going soon? Is Rosalind going to come?”

“I don’t know yet, I haven’t asked her. But I would imagine she is, yes. I’ve asked everybody else, I’m just going to grab my picnic basket and see if she has anything to contribute. Then we’ll be down.”

“All righty. I’ll see you downstairs, then. What sort of car should I get?” I questioned, finishing with Andrew’s magazine and stacking them neatly before I tucked them safely back in their spot.

“Umm. There’s nine of us, so I would suggest an SUV. Rude’s getting the same. Now get going, we need those blankets.”

I got up and nodded. “Right. I’ll see you down there. Remember, don’t tell Andrew on me.”

Cyr laughed again. “I won’t, I won’t. Get going, now.”

I headed to my apartment and retrieved four or five old blankets from one of my closets. I wonder where I got them. I don’t remember buying them or anything, but then, if it’s not something important, I won’t remember it. Even if it is something important, I’m not likely to remember it. Then I headed down to the parkade and checked an SUV out from Lloyd, the guy who’s in charge of all the cars. The Turks don’t really need cars of our own. We don’t commute and Shinra will arrange whatever transportation we need otherwise, so there’s really no point to owning a car just for the sake of leisure. It’s hard to keep up with those things, given the price of gas and all.

In any case, I brought the car around to the elevators, where Rude was already waiting with his car, and Tseng was standing by the doors, with a short, muscular looking guy, in cargo pants and a sweater. He had darker skin and brownish hair, the sort of coloring Cyr might have if she hadn’t taken after her father. “Hey, Tseng! Who’s the new guy?” I called, getting out of the car and going over. “Hiya.”

“Hello,” he nodded to me politely and extended a hand. “My name’s Rafe.”

“I’m Reno. What class’re you?” I asked.

Tseng answered for him. “He’s a fourth. He just recently graduated from the Academy in Junon and they transferred him here. We’re glad to have him.”

Rafe inclined his head slightly. “And I’m glad to be here. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Reno.”

“Likewise. C’mon, Rodney and the girls will be down soon. You wanna ride with me?” I offered. So far, I liked this guy. He was nice enough, probably a bit older than thirty. It’s weird, how there are people who are older than me, and yet I outrank them. I’m not entirely sure what basis rank is assigned on. Skill, I guess, and merit. And ability to command, and stuff. That’s why Tseng’s a first class. It’s lucky rank doesn’t really matter to me. I’ll take orders from anybody, if I like them well enough.

I was about to climb into the driver’s seat, when Tseng caught my shoulder. “I’ll drive, I think.”

“Aww, but…”

“This is Rafe’s first time in Midgar, he doesn’t deserve to see the sights at the speeds you usually drive at,” he told me firmly.

“But you drive like a little old lady!”

Tseng sighed. “Little old ladies adhere to the speed limits. Come on, Reno. You can sit in the front.”

“Hmph.” I reluctantly circled around and climbed in the passenger seat, not really wanting to appear too difficult in front of the new guy. “So what were you doing before you became a Turk, Rafe?” I asked him, glancing in the rearview mirror at him.

“I worked for the police force, in Junon. A detective.”

That was a new one. But then, we all come from varied backgrounds. “Hey, cool! Junon, huh? You should talk to Rude later. He grew up in Junon.”

Rafe nodded. “I’ll make a point of that, yes.”

I heard the elevator doors open and climbed up on the passenger seat, slipping through the open sunroof and waving at Rosalind and Cyr. “Hey, over here!” I glanced over at the other car, where Samantha and Rodney were climbing in, Samantha with a big picnic basket in hand. “I don’t think there’s any more room in there, come ride with us!”

Rosalind scurried over and opened the door on Rafe’s side of the car. “Oh! I’m sorry, I didn’t know you were here. I’ll go around…”

Rafe declined immediately. “Oh, no. I’ll move over.”

I watched in the side mirrors as Rosalind flushed slightly and climbed in. “Thank you.”

“Not at all. My name is Rafe.”

I feel like kind of a creep for doing this, but I watched in the rearview mirror as she smiled and blushed again when he grasped her hand firmly. “I’m Rosalind. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Rafe,” she said shyly.

It was just for a second, and I really shouldn’t have made anything of it, but for half an instant I was suddenly insanely jealous of Rafe. It’s wrong of me to be so possessive, but I privately considered that little smile to be for me, not anybody else. What’s more, she called him by his first name. She’s never called me by my name. “She likes you,” I commented, managing to keep the resentment out of my voice. “She didn’t try to call you ‘sir’.”

Rafe laughed at that, and turned his attention to Cyr. “And who are you, pretty lady?”

I didn’t like this guy so much any more. He was a flirt. And, what’s worse, he was good at it. He fell to chatting with Cyr. Rosalind tried to enter the conversation a few times, but then their talk switched to stuff about fist fighting, so she dropped out of it and watched out the window. That made me feel a bit better. It’s a really bad thing that I’m so possessive of her. I haven’t got any right to be. I’m just the guy who worships the ground she walks on, I don’t own her.

So we got to the park. It was autumn, so the Shinra Memorial Park was just gorgeous. I love Midgar. It’s the perfect city. I’ve been all over the world, so I can say that and be pretty damn convicted about it. Crime is down, employment’s up, development’s increasing, poverty is decreasing. Pollution is being reduced, green spaces are being added. The only problem with Midgar is the money it costs to live in the city. It’s an expensive kind of place. And that’s not really a problem, because it keeps the population steady.

I climbed out of the front seat and stretched. It hadn’t been a long ride, really, but I was a little stiff from sitting on the floor all afternoon. The sun was already getting low in the sky. It would be winter in a month or so, and the days were definitely shortening. So it was probably best to make the most of them.

Rafe opened his door and helped Rosalind and Cyr out. I felt all jealous again when he offered Rosalind his hand to help her down, but it faded quickly. “May I take your basket for you, Cyr?” he asked politely, relieving Cyr of her burden.

Tseng came around to the other side of the car, just as Rude pulled up into the parking space beside us. “Did you bring a picnic basket, too?” he questioned, getting out of the driver’s seat as St. Andrew pushed open his door and struggled for a few moment’s with the enormous basket Samantha had brought.

“Yeah, Cyr brought one.” I told him, going over and taking out the heap of blankets I’d brought, handing them over to Tseng. St. Andrew pawned the basket he was carrying off on Rude and grabbed a football from the backseat. “You brought a football?”

“Yup.” St. Andrew tossed the ball up in the air and attempted to spin it on his finger. “Anyone fancy a game? Looking to have your ass kicked Reno?”

“Not by you.”

“I’ll play,” Rafe agreed.

Samantha climbed out of her car and giggled. Then she went over to Rodney and rubbed a hand over his chest. Oh, right. They’re together. Forgot about that. “Are you gonna play too, Roddy?”

He grunted. “Yeah, I’ll play.”

She giggled again and pressed her head against his shoulder, rolling her eyes at him. “ If St. Andrew’s taking bets, I’ll put all my money on you…” There’s something about Samantha that’s sort of disgustingly ingratiating. She’s a nice enough person, but really. I mean, good god, woman. You’re twenty-three years old. Stop acting like a spoiled six year old.

I glanced over at Rosalind, partially because I wanted to see her reaction, partially because watching those two made me slightly ill. Given her expression, the way she wrinkled her nose a little bit and arched an eyebrow, she felt approximately the same way. She’s so cute when she disapproves.

Cyr apparently had gotten sick of this too, because she tied her hair back and took her picnic basket back from Rafe. “Rosalind, Samantha. Come with me. The boys can go have their fun, we have work to do.”

“Aww, Cyr, get off it. We just wanna play…” St. Andrew sighed, tossing the football up in the air a few more times.

“And leave all the work to us? My, you’re such a gentleman …”

Andrew shrugged. “You’re women. Women like to work. It’s what they’re good for.”

St. Andrew’s kinda stupid, really.

Cyr didn’t react immediately. She handed her picnic basket back to Rafe and cracked her knuckles once. I would’ve taken that as an indication to run, but Andrew just sorta stood there with his big dumb face hanging out.

So he kinda deserved it when she slugged him in the gut. I mean, it’s one thing not to have the sense not to insult her, it’s entirely another not to run the hell away when she cracks her knuckles like that. And Cyr punches hard, so it was really only natural that he fell over. It might’ve been a bit much when she stepped on his head, though.

She leaned over and said something to him, very quietly. I didn’t catch it, but I think Rosalind might’ve, given how intent she looked. Andrew nodded once, as vigorously he could with her foot on his head. “R-right, Cyr. Sorry, Cyr.”

“Not at all, dear,” she answered placidly, letting him up and dusting the gravel off his sweatshirt. “Just don’t do it again.” Cyr’s a funny sort of person. She’s incredibly dangerous when she’s mad, but as soon as she’s gotten her point across, she’ll be right back to being nice and happy.

“Cyr, d’you wanna play football? You can be on my team…” I offered, once she’d let him up. It would be good for a girl to play. None of the guys on the other team would hit her, but she wouldn’t share the reservation.

Cyr shook her head and grimaced. “Gods, no. You’re all too competitive, you play too hard and too rough and afterwards you all stink. No, we’ll be quite all right. Rosalind, Samantha, come now.”

So Cyr went sweeping off down the hill, with Rosalind and Samantha trailing along behind her. Girls are weird.

Then Rude and Rafe sort of realized that they had the food and that they should probably follow along, so they did. “We should probably go see if we can help,” Tseng spoke up, shifting his armful of blankets slightly.

“Yeah, you go on,” St. Andrew gasped, still a little winded from getting punched and all. “I’ll be right there.”

Tseng went trumping off down the hill that sloped away from the parking lot, and I stayed with Andrew for a minute, scooping up the football he’d dropped. “You okay?”

He nodded and straightened up, taking a few deep breaths. “God, why does she always hit me?” he complained.

“Maybe she likes you.”

“So she hits me? If she likes me, I can think of some goddamn better ways she could show it!”

I shrugged. “Maybe if she didn’t like you she’d hit you harder.” I didn’t know, really. I knew she didn’t hate him. So she must be hitting him because she liked him. Like I said, girls are weird.

Anyway, we headed down to try and help, but Cyr made all of us go away. She really doesn’t mind the work. I think she likes it, actually. She just doesn’t appreciate people thinking it’s the only thing she’s good for.

So instead we went to play football. I would’ve preferred soccer, personally, because I’m sort of better at it than anybody else, but that might’ve been why Andrew picked football. I was on the same team as Rafe and Tseng and St. Andrew, Rude, and Rodney were a team. That was fair. Rafe and Rude are both big guys, Tseng and St. Andrew are about the same size, and Rod’s the only guy who can come close to running as fast as I do.

Of course, Turk football is a bit different from regular football. Just a touch or a tackle isn’t good enough, if the other guy wants the ball, he’s gonna have to fight you for it. I’ve said it before; it’s really a surprising thing that none of us have killed each other.

The game went well enough, we were winning (though if you asked the other team they’d probably disagree with that), until apparently some sort of plot to kill me sprang up.

I’m not a very big person. I’m tall, sure, but I’m kinda on the scrawny side. Pretty much every other guy I know has got more muscle and more weight on me. And so when the lot of them spontaneously decide to gang up and try to kill me, I’m at a bit of a severe disadvantage.

I suppose they think this is all in good fun, and I guess it probably is, but it’s still one hell of an unnerving thing to have five guys tearing after you, their only motivation being that you’re the one with the ball. So naturally, and because I have more sense than St. Andrew, I ran.

Rodney, apparently, has been working on his running, because he just about caught me. And he had the goddamned switchblade again, this time I was sure of it. I don’t know what the hell his game is. He’s can’t really be trying to kill me, because both times I’ve seen him with a knife, it’s when there are other Turks around. And, if he decides to stick a knife in me, I know for a fact that most of them aren’t going to take it well. Maybe he’s just trying to scare me.

As such, I made for the little hill where the girls had set up. It was a nice little hill, with a big old tree on top, and they’d spread their blankets out and gotten out glasses and were sitting around chatting and drinking wine. I hope I didn’t interrupt them too badly when I went running through their conversation, but I felt I very badly needed to get up in that tree.

I like trees. I like climbing trees. This one was no exception. I got comfortably up among the branches and got ready to defend myself against anyone who’d have the nerve to try and climb up after me.

And, as it turned out, no one did. Climb up after me, I mean. But St. Andrew did show up at the bottom and yelled up at me for a while. “Reno! Get down from there!”

“No!” I shifted on the branch I’d chosen, trying to get more comfortable. “Why should I? All you guys want to kill me! What the hell brought that on, huh?”

“You run too damn fast!”

“That’s not my fault! And you think I’m going to slow down because you lot are chasing after me? Fat chance!”

“You do run very fast,” Tseng called, from back where the blankets were spread out. I glanced down at the picnic. Rude and Rafe were trailing along up the hill, and it looked like Tseng had settled down with a glass of wine. I couldn’t see Rodney anywhere, but I figured he was probably around somewhere.

“I’m not coming down until someone tells Rodney that there are no switchblades in football.”

St. Andrew sighed and rolled his eyes at me. “He doesn’t have a switchblade. You’re just making excuses.”

“I am not! He’s got a knife, I’ll swear to it! I’m not coming down. What do you care if I stay up here?”

“You’ve got the goddamned football!”

Well, that was true. I did. I’d sort of forgotten to drop it. Remarkable that I got up the tree, really. It’s a cumbersome sort of thing. “Why, Andrew, do you want your football back? I’m only too happy to oblige.”

It might have been a bit malicious of me to pelt it at him like that, especially because it did nail him right on the head, but in my defense I wasn’t actually aiming for him. Just sort of near him.

He growled a bit about that, and I started looking for other things to throw at him as he started to attempt to climb up the tree, when Cyr called him off. Everyone else had gone to start eating. So Andrew kicked at the tree and then went to join them.

I stayed up there for a little while longer, just to be safe, but it was getting cooler, so I decided it was probably best to go down before all the food got eaten. So I clambered down and went over to sit by Rosalind on the blankets. She looked very pretty, in jeans and a denim jacket and a pale green sweater. “It’s cold up there.”

Cyr passed me a glass of wine and a plate of food. I really like Cyr. Trust her to make me a plate so I wouldn’t go hungry. “It’s getting a bit nippy, yes. We’ll have a fire later, how’s that?”

“Sounds good to me.”

We all sat around chatting about stuff for a while, eating and drinking and whatever. Then Samantha giggled. “Who else knows about the party Shinra’s throwing?”

If you want to know office gossip, talk to Samantha. She’s the best connected in the company. If you want to know what’s going on businesswise, though, you talk to St. Andrew. He can weasel information out of just about anybody. He’s pretty damn shrewd, for all his antics.

Tseng looked slightly taken aback when Samantha said this, however. “How did you find out about that?” he asked incredulously.

Samantha waved a hand and giggled again. She was more giggly than usual. Probably had been drinking a little bit hard. “My daddy has connections all throughout the company. They tell me absolutely everything. I’ve known for ages.”

Tseng was silent for a few moments. I couldn’t tell why, but for some reason, that information upset him. He shook himself out of it, though, and cleared his throat. “Oh. Well, I found out yesterday. Yes, there’s going to be a party. Mostly members of the Shinra Exec will be attending. And so will we.”

Beside me, Rosalind started. “A…a party? Why are we going to a party?” she asked, sounding a little nervous.

“We’ll be security,” I explained to her. “It’s all well and good to have SOLDIER there, but really, a bunch of fully armed guys in body armor really detract from the atmosphere you’re going for at a party like what this one will be. We look classy.”

We do, too. I love being a Turk.

“Oh. We’ll just be patrolling, then?” she asked, sounding immensely relieved. “I can go in uniform?”

“Umm…well, I don’t know. I’ll be in my dress uniform, myself, but I think you’ll probably be required to wear something a little more feminine. A cocktail dress or something. You’re supposed to be part of the party.”

Rosalind paled slightly. “Part of the…you mean like a guest? I can’t be a guest! I’ll be working! Where will I put my gun?”

I didn’t really know why she was upset. It was just a party. “Rookie, it’s all right. It’s no big deal. We’ll just get you a dress holster.”

“You mean I’d wear my sidearm in plain sight? But…”

“We’re not undercover, Rosalind,” St. Andrew interrupted. “All the people will know who we are and what we’re doing there. It’s just like if some of the guests were to bring their bodyguards. So long as everyone knows you’re armed, you might as well flaunt it. There are some very nice dress holsters, made for ladies.”

Rosalind bit her lip and fell silent. I could tell she was nervous and I patted her shoulder a bit. “Don’t worry, rookie. Cross the bridge when you get there,” I murmured.

She sighed and nodded, smiling a bit. “All right, sir.”

Samantha sipped at her wine and hiccupped. “Rufus Shinra will be there,” she sighed. “God, he’s so dreamy…”

Tseng cleared his throat. “Well. Keep in mind that we will be working. It’s not really a party, as much as it is a job. You’ll be briefed beforehand and everything.”

I glanced at him. There was something in his tone of voice that made me take notice. There was a bit more to this than he was saying, and he was uncomfortable to have us think that it was just a regular party. So this went a bit deeper than just a standard party job. But, whatever the case, we’d all know in time.

Cyr may have noticed it too, because she shivered deliberately and changed the subject. “I think we should have a fire. It’s quite chilly out. Is everyone done eating? Start packing the food up.”

Tseng appeared thankful for this, but paused and cleared his throat. “Just a moment, Cyr. There’s just something…well…yes, now is as good a time as any…” Tseng opened his jacket and pulled out a small box, passing it over to Rude. “Here, Rude. Congratulations. Sorry I wasn’t very official about it, but you know how they make big deals about the higher grade promotions…”

It didn’t quite click, at first. Everyone was suddenly congratulating him and everything, and I couldn’t quite figure why, until I heard somebody say “second class.” And then it kind of hit me.

I don’t know why I was so blindsided by the whole thing. I mean, I’d been expecting it for ages now. Ever since they started giving him recruits, I’d kinda been trying to brace myself, because I knew it was going to hurt when he got it. I’d gotten myself almost to the point where I could pretend I was all right with things, and that it wasn’t really such a painful thing. I guess the fact that I’d deluded myself into thinking I’d be okay with it was what made it hurt worse.

But, what you feel isn’t important. What you can fake is what matters. Rude was proud, I could tell that much. But he was trying to make everybody be quiet about it, passing it off as not such a big deal, probably for my sake. And that was stupid. It was his promotion; he deserved to be celebrating it. Tseng shouldn’t have had to give it to him, away from the company, away from the party he would’ve got otherwise, just because of me and my bleeding heart. That wasn’t fair to my partner.

“Hey, Rude, come off it. Of course this is a big deal. It’s been a long time in coming, partner. I’m glad you finally got it.”

Rude was silent for a few moments. “Thanks,” he said finally.

Maybe I shouldn’t have said anything, because everything just got kind of quiet after that. Should’ve kept my mouth shut and let him play it down. But that wouldn’t have been fair either. I was happy for him, don’t get me wrong. He’s deserved that promotion for ages. I was just miserable for my sake.

Rosalind was watching me. I could feel that much, but I didn’t really have the heart to look up and try and force a smile for her. It would be a pathetic effort, and she didn’t deserve that.

Cyr broke the silence and the stillness, thankfully, by clearing her throat and getting back to repacking the baskets. “St. Andrew, would you go get some firewood, please?” she asked quietly.

“Yeah, I’ll…” St. Andrew started to get up, but I interrupted him.

“No, I’ll do it. You stay here.” I wasn’t going to go for firewood. I hoped Cyr knew that. I just had to get the hell away from people and have some time to myself. I was making everybody else miserable, and that wasn’t any good. A pity party should be a solitary sort of affair.

Rosalind started to get up. “Do you want some help, sir?” she questioned.

I kinda wanted her to come, just a little tiny bit. If only to keep myself from getting to disgustingly depressed. Except she probably thought I was going for wood. I wasn’t. I needed a long walk. If I brought her along, though, then I’d have to get wood and come back. “Nah, rookie. It’s all right. You stay. I’ll be back s…well, I’ll be back.”

She sat back down and nodded. “All right, sir.”

I hunched my shoulders and walked down the little slope where they were sitting, cutting through the forest at the bottom. I just needed some time to be miserable.

I think I’ve mentioned that I can’t be promoted. I can’t remember, so I’ll go over it again. I can’t be promoted. It’s a simple fact. It has to do with a lot of things, most of which are company rules and regulations, meaning to say I don’t really know why I can’t be promoted; it’s just something the higher-ups tell me is true.

I mean, I know it has something to do with the fact that I’m kinda hyperactive and I’ve got a poor attention span and I can’t sit still for five minutes and complicated things scare me and some stupid psychiatrist or psychologist or whatever those guys are decided to go and slap an ADD label on me and try to solve the problem with drugs.

But I’m not bitter about this, or anything. Oh no, I’m certainly not upset about the single damn thing that’s prevented me from getting a promotion for three goddamn years. No, not a bit.

That was approximately what I was thinking when Rosalind caught up with me, just as I left the little bit of forest and got onto the bike trail that cyclists used during the day.

“Sir!” she called, and I straightened up a bit and looked back at her. I shouldn’t have been slouching. Bad posture, bad habit.

“Oh…rookie. Hey.” I was glad to see her. I always am. I just hoped she hadn’t come to drag me back to the picnic, because that would mean I’d have to pretend to be happy and I didn’t know that I could do that very well, as I was.

She stopped a few yards away when I looked up, blushing a bit and kicking at the ground with the toe of her running shoe. “What are you doing, sir?”

Just seeing her made me feel a bit better. She’s so pretty. I hated to disappoint her by being in a bad mood, but this was one particular slump I didn’t feel like pulling myself out of. “I’m just…well, taking a walk. I wanted to clear my head, kinda.”

Rosalind nodded and toyed with the sleeves of her sweater. “Might I join you, sir?” she asked shyly.

“If you’d like to.” I can’t say no to her. It was lucky that I didn’t want to, that time. But I did hope, privately, as I started walking again, that she wasn’t going to make much conversation. I didn’t know that I’d be able to talk too much without being severely depressing.

She caught up to me and we walked for a while without saying anything. That was fine. I was lost in my own, depressing little world. And then, eventually, she cleared her throat.

“Sir?” she said quietly, tugging on my sleeve.

“Hmm?” I was actually kinda glad she said something. I can only be depressed for so long before it really starts to get to me.

“Can I ask a question, sir?”

I looked down at her and shrugged. “Sure, rookie. What’s on your mind?”

Rosalind stopped and put a hand on my arm so I stopped too. Then she moved up close, pushing herself up on her tiptoes, just a bit, and brushed her fingertips against my neck. I just about died. I forgot everything that had to do with Rude, or his promotion, or Shinra, and let myself be totally absorbed by the fact that she was right there, I could hear her breathing, count every strand of golden blonde hair, and smell whatever shampoo she uses. God, she smells good.

Her fingers found the chain of my dog tags and she drew them out from beneath my shirt, cupping them in her palm and tilting them towards the light. “Ah, yes…I thought I remembered right. Your dog tags don’t have your full name on them, sir.”

She let them drop back against my chest and moved away. I recovered the power of speech as we started walking again. “Yeah, I know.” Though the power of speech isn’t really worth much if all I was going to say was something stupid like that.

“Why not your full name, sir?” she questioned curiously.

“Well, when they made them, the guy asked if I wanted my full name or my first initial, and I…”

“No, sir, I don’t mean it like that,” she interrupted, shaking her head. “I mean, why didn’t you just use your full name? What is your full name, sir?”

“My name?” That seemed like a weird sort of question to me. I dunno why. I guess because nobody’s ever asked me. “Reno” was always good enough for them, I suppose. “Umm. No one’s ever asked me that.”

Rosalind blinked at me. “No one? Why not?”

I shrugged. “I guess nobody ever really cared enough to want to know. Well…I don’t know, maybe some people have asked me. I can’t remember. I don’t think I’ve told anybody, that’s the thing.”

“Oh. Well, I’m sorry, sir. I didn’t know that. If you want to keep it to yourself, then don’t mind my asking.”

“No, that’s all right. I want you to know.”

Rosalind blushed. “I didn’t mean to press you into it…”

“Nahh, rookie. You’re not. I do want to tell you. What do you think it is, though?”

She stopped again and tilted her head to the side, squinting at me thoughtfully. “It begins with J, sir?”

“Yeah.”

“Is it Jason? I think you look like a Jason, sir.”

That was a good guess. If I’d had to guess something, I think I’d have guessed Jason. But it was wrong. “Nope.”

“Jeremy.”

“Nuh uh.” I knew a Jeremy, once, quite a number of years back. Nice guy, kinda quiet. Not the sort of person I figured I could share a name with.

“Umm…” she paused and thought for a moment. “Joshua.”

“Absolutely not.”

She laughed. “It doesn’t really suit you, does it?”

I shook my head and grinned a bit. “I don’t think so, no. Too biblical. It’s an easy name, though.”

“Easy…easy, short? Or common? Jeff? Jack?”

“Nahh…though I think Jack might be short for it, or something.”

She hesitated and thought a little more. “John?”

“Not John. Not Johnny, either. Always Jonathan.”

I’ve always wondered about my name. It’s just one of those things, you know? I guess, in a sense, I’m named for my father. I didn’t know my mother all that well, so I can’t really make too many calls about her motivation. At least she had a sense of humor. I mean, really. A hooker’s kid, named John. There’s a weird sort of irony to that.

Maybe that was my mother. I didn’t know her all that well, for a mother. She was just this lady who was around from time to time, made sure I didn’t starve, slept around a hell of a lot. I always wondered about that last one, when I was younger. Not so much, later on.

The fact that she named me the way she did could mean a lot of things, I guess. I like to think that it means she was a shrewd, ironic kind of woman and that she didn’t give two shits about me because she knew how caring about people makes it easier to get hurt. So she was just trying to look out for me, in a cruel kinda way. That’s possible.

But then, it’s also possible that she’s forgotten about me. I didn’t hang around that long, really. Neither of us really made memorable impressions on each other. I don’t even remember what color her eyes were. It’s possible I have my mother’s eyes, but I’d never know it. It’s just as possible that she didn’t even make the connection when she named me. It’s possible that she doesn’t lie in bed at night, wondering if her son ever appreciated the grand, cruel irony of his first name.

And maybe she does. Maybe she does lie in bed at night, thinking about me. I think about her, sometimes. Maybe she settled down somewhere. Maybe she got out of Midgar. Maybe she wonders if I ever figured out my name. Maybe she did the same thing to my siblings, and wonders if they ever got it. Maybe I’m the only one who ever did. Maybe she figured I’d be the only one to get it. Maybe she wonders how I’m doing from time to time. Maybe she thinks about me.

Or maybe she’s dead.

“Jonathan,” Rosalind repeated, and smiled. That kinda snapped me out of my little trance and back to the present. “I like your name, sir. It’s nice. Why don’t people call you by it?”

I shrugged. “I dunno. Because I’ve never told anyone what it is, I guess. Honestly, rookie, the only person who ever called me by my first name was my mother.”

“Oh. Does she still…umm…I don’t mean to be invasive sir, but is she dead?”

“My mom?” I shrugged. “I don’t know. I haven’t seen her in years. Probably…oh, lemme think…about ten years since I saw her last. A few years before I left the slums.”

Rosalind stared at me for a few moments. “I grew up in the slums too, sir,” she said in a small voice, a little hesitantly.

I didn’t believe her. Not for a second. Someone as sweet and kind, as pretty and wonderful as Rosalind couldn’t possibly have grown up in the same hellhole as I did. But I didn’t want to call her an out-and-out liar. “Really, rookie?” I asked doubtfully.

She nodded. “Yes, sir. I did.”

“A nice girl like you?” I hadn’t met any “nice girls” living in the slums. They were all sharp and mean, just as dangerous as anybody else down there. None of them were “nice.”

Rosalind lifted her hands helplessly. “I wasn’t always so nice, sir. I was quite a handful, back before I got into the reform school.”

“Well…it’s not that I don’t believe you, rookie…it’s just…goddamn, a girl like you? From the same place as me? Nah. I mean, you’re one of the greatest people I’ve ever met…I’m still rough around the edges and no amount of effort is gonna train it out of me.”

Rosalind blushed and shook her head. “Oh, no, sir. I don’t think you’re like that at all. You’re very nice, sir. One of the nicest people I’ve ever met. I met terrible guys beneath the plate, sir, and you’re not at all like them.”

There was something about the contempt in her voice when she said them that struck a chord with me. I remembered the way my mother used to bitch about her “clients” and there was something about the Rosalind said it that was just overwhelmingly familiar. “Hey, rookie…umm…I dunno exactly how to say this, but was your mom a…?”

I trailed off. All of a sudden I hoped I wouldn’t offend her. I was just playing a hunch. For all I knew, Rosalind’s mother had been an honest, hardworking woman, not a trashy hooker like mine. Or maybe she was an honest, hardworking hooker. I didn’t know, and it wasn’t my place to make guesses like that.

However, before I could apologize, she nodded and stared down at the ground. Well, not at the ground. We’d walked to a footbridge that stretched over a softly babbling creek in the dark. There were a few lamps about, casting whitish golden light down on the pathway and glittering off the water. We were both leaning against the bridge railing and watching that. “Yeah. She was,” she answered shortly.

“Oh.” I could tell from her tone that she’d known exactly what I’d meant, and that I’d been right. “So was mine,” I said quietly.

She looked up sharply. “She was, sir? Really?”

“Yup. I grew up in Lower Sector Seven. You?”

Rosalind flushed slightly. “Lower Sector Eight,” she answered shyly.

“Well, how’s that for something? We were neighbors! Hey…did you know your father?”

She shrugged again and shook her head. “Not really. Only what my mom told me about him. All I really knew was that he was in the army.”

I nodded. “Ahh, yeah. I know how that is. I don’t think my mother knew my father.” I stopped and grimaced. “Uh…that didn’t come out quite right. They knew each other, of course. Just not personally.” Oops. Did it again. “Umm. Pretty personally, yeah. Not intimately…” Talking about how well your mother knew your father on the night you were conceived is awkward; especially with a girl you spend no small amount of time daydreaming about. “Uhhh. I mean, like...they didn’t know each other well. They weren’t going together, or anything. Whatever. I didn’t know him. And then my mom just left when I was fifteen, so I didn’t know her so well either…”

“She left you, sir?” Rosalind questioned, looking confused. “Just…left?”

“Yup.”

“Oh. Well, that’s awful, sir.”

I didn’t think it was, really. Like I’ve said, we weren’t close. “Nah. I mean it’s awful, in principle, yeah, but not so bad as it sounds. We weren’t close, and things had gotten to the point where neither of us really needed each other. I was probably kind of bad for business anyway.”

Rosalind seemed to accept this with a bit of difficulty, nodding slowly. “It still seems like an awful thing to do to your only child.”

“Oh, I wasn’t her only child. She had lots of kids. She was a ways into her thirties when she had me. She was always kinda careless, in that regard. I probably had at least four or five half-siblings by her, and maybe more by my dad. I met a few of them. It’s freaky to run into someone who has your eyes.”

She fell silent, digesting this information. I hoped I wasn’t bugging her, talking about this stuff. It’s funny; I’d never just talked with anybody about this stuff before. Not ever, not with anybody. Not with Rude, or Loretta, or any of my other friends. No one’s ever gotten this close. I mean, this was stuff about me. Things that went way, way back, and way, way down. These were the sort of things that make me who I am. And I was just telling her, and she was just getting to know me.

It’s also funny that all of a sudden, I wanted her to know me. I wanted to tell her everything I could think of. Most of the time, I don’t think people want others to know them. Not really, at least. When people get close to each other, it can get awkward. I know I keep most of my past to myself, because I don’t see any reason to bother other people with it. Besides, there’s stuff in my past that I’m not proud of. That’s the weirdest kind of closeness you can achieve, I think. I didn’t want to hide anything about myself; I didn’t want to have to pretend. I wanted her to know about every single glaring deficiency I had, and more than that, I wanted her to accept me anyway.

“My mother died, when I was fourteen,” she spoke up quietly, breaking the silence.

“I’m sorry about that.” I hoped it was the right thing to say. She sounded sort of sad about it, like any normal person would, talking about their mother.

She shrugged. “It got me off the streets, ultimately. My father was dumb enough to give my mother his name, so she had a very easy time getting money and things from him, after I was born, in exchange to keep quiet about it. It was blackmail, but people have to do desperate things to survive in the slums, sometimes. She told me if I was ever in trouble, I should call him. So…when she died, that’s what I did. It was better than trying to make it on my own. Of course, all he did was put me in military school. But, still…”

“Is that how you got into the Turks?” I asked. I wanted to know about her, too. I wondered if she wanted me to know about her.

She nodded. “Yes, sir. Originally, I thought I would go into the military…but…well, you know how the organization is. I couldn’t turn down the opportunity. What about you, sir?”

I grinned. I like the story of how I got into the Turks. The only good thing that came out of my being in the army was the story of how I got out. “Well, it was an opportunity I couldn’t turn down, either. Originally, I was given the choice between the military and jail time. At the time I was given this choice, there was a war on with Fort Condor. However, since I didn’t know that…and you really couldn’t blame me for not knowing…I mean, you must know how it is, right? Living like that, in the slums…the only thing you worry about is how long you’ll have to go before your next meal.”

She nodded, and she knew exactly what I meant. For some reason, that made me feel kinda weird. Not bad weird, but good weird, kinda. She knew what I was talking about. She’d been there, she’d done that. I’d never talked with anyone who’d had the same experiences before. It meant a lot.

“Anyway. So I got myself stuck in the middle of a war. Totally wasn’t prepared for anything like that. I was just a street kid, and damned sheltered from the way the world outside Lower Midgar worked. Hell, I’d never even seen the sky.”

“But how did you get into the Turks, sir?” Rosalind pressed insistently. “I don’t mean to push you, I’m just curious.”

So she did want to know. I was happy about that. “Yeah, well. I’m getting there, keep your shirt on. Umm. Well, after a couple patrols or whatever, I went and got myself hurt, and ended up in a field hospital. First time I’d ever been seriously injured. I didn’t like it. And, seeing as I’d had quite enough of the war in question, I figured it was time to leave.”

Rosalind nodded a bit stiffly. “I suppose that’s understandable,” she answered politely. She was forcing it a bit, but I think that’s mostly because she disagrees with my views on desertion. That’s fine, it’s her prerogative. “Then what happened?”

“Veld got me out. Caught me trying to steal one of the jeeps, actually. He suggested that if I attempted desertion, I could be shot. If I changed venues, I could make some smart choices about the way I wanted to serve my time, and not have to deal with the whole war thing. So naturally, I switched into the Turks.”

Rosalind smiled and nodded. “That’s a good story, sir. Much better than mine.”

“Oh, no. I don’t think so. They’re just different.”

We both shut up for a little while. She pushed away from the railing of the bridge and stood, staring back down the path we’d walked for a while. I kept staring down at the water, enjoying the silence. I like being with Rosalind. I don’t believe in auras and all that crap, but there’s something about being around Rosalind that just makes a person feel so good. I dunno. Maybe it’s just me.

“Sir…” she murmured, after a little while, joining me at the railing again and touching my shoulder lightly.

“Mmm?” I shivered a bit. It might have been the cold, it might have been the sudden, electric hope that maybe she was going to confess that she’d had a thing for me ever since we’d first met, that she thought I had nice eyes, and she loved me just as much as I loved her and that she just couldn’t keep it in any more. It was a bit much to hope, I know, but I’m kinda dumb like that. When it happens, though, that’s exactly how it’s going to go, because I’ve run through it in my head dozens and dozens of times. “Yeah, rookie?”

She hesitated and bit her lip, lowering her face shyly. I’m fairly confident that my heart stopped beating. “Sir, I…I’m sorry you can’t get second class, sir.”

Of all the things she could have said in that moment, that was fairly low on the list of things I wanted to hear. I probably would’ve preferred, “Sir, I’d like to go back now.” Hell, even “Sir, your hair is on fire” would’ve been better

I didn’t answer immediately. I couldn’t. I’d kinda been doing all right, up until she’d brought it up. I mean, walking with her, just talking about stuff, I’d felt good. I’d forgotten how jealous I was of Rude, how mad I was at Veld, how disappointed I was with myself, and how depressed I was about the whole damn state of affairs. “I guess…did Rude tell you I couldn’t get it?”

Rosalind nodded and paused. “Well…he did tell me some things…back when we were in Costa del Sol, sir. But I didn’t understand…we were interrupted before he finished. And I didn’t…” she trailed off and flushed, when she noticed I was watching her closely. Then she cleared her throat and finished. “He said you have a condition, sir. I didn’t know what that meant. Is it serious?”

I sighed. I knew this sort of question would be coming sooner or later. “Hell, rookie. I’m standing here, I’m breathing, I’m not stuck in some goddamned hospital. Of course it’s not serious. Rude just tells everybody and then everybody thinks there’s something wrong with me. Well, there’s not.”

Rosalind blinked and the color rose in her cheeks again. “O-oh…I…I’m sorry, sir. I didn’t think…I’m sorry.”

I didn’t mean to make her feel badly. It wasn’t her fault. It’s just this whole damn thing. I mean, okay. Back when I started with the Turks, after I’d gone for a few weeks with the company, Veld sent me for a psyche exam. At the time I thought it was sort of a cursory thing, though talking to all these guys and taking all these tests drove me absolutely nuts, and I didn’t really know what they were on about when they eventually told me I was “attention deficit, socially insecure, and unfit for command.” At the time it hadn’t really mattered. I mean, to me, a commander was somebody like Veld. And he had one hell of a stressful job, so I was actually kind of glad for that.

But then, as I got a little better acquainted with the company, I learned that no commanding meant no promotions. And no promotions meant no raises, no new apartment, no promotion parties, none of the perks that second class Turks get, and I’d never be an Ace. An Ace is a first class Turk, who’s gotten to first class by merit of skill, not by bureaucratics. Tseng’s a bureaucratic first class. He’s a great Turk, don’t get me wrong. Probably better than I am, in some ways. But he got to first class because of administrative things. Not because of work done in the field. I’d love to be an Ace. But it’s not in the cards.

“Nahh, rookie. Don’t apologize. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it to come out like that. It’s just…well, you know. Starting with the Turks was a tough thing for me. I screwed up a lot. I’d never done anything like it, is all. Suddenly people who I might’ve robbed in earlier times were counting on me for important stuff, and giving me orders and directives and everything…it was hard. I was having one hell of a time managing on my own.”

I really needed her to understand. I hoped she would. She’d had at least eight years in military school before being transferred to the Turks. I hadn’t. I didn’t know how to do the “soldier thing.” It didn’t make any sense to me. I thought the Turks was different then the army. I had no conception of rank and discipline, beyond the basics that you learn under the plate (for example: Rank: gang member – can kill you and therefore outranks you. Discipline - falls under the category “consequences of pissing off a gang member.”) So maybe it was understandable that I got blacklisted so quickly.

Thankfully, Rosalind nodded and patted my arm. “Oh, sir, that would have been hard,” she said sympathetically. “I went through the same thing when my dad put me in school. Is that when you started working with Rude?”

“Yeah…but it didn’t help. Heh, we didn’t really much care for each other, when we first started working together. He thought I was a hyperactive whacko he’d gotten saddled with, and I thought he was some tightass goon they’d picked to keep an eye on me. We were both kinda right, actually. And the fact that some stupid higher up had gone and decided I have ADD or something didn’t really help much either.”

Rosalind didn’t answer, biting her lower lip and staring at the railing of the bridge, tracing the shapes carved into the wood with her fingertip.

“What? Not surprised?”

She started and stared at me for a few moments. “N-no, sir!” she stammered, then clapped a hand over her mouth. “Oh! S-sorry, I mean, y-yes, sir. Or…oh…I’m sorry, sir…I didn’t…I don’t…sorry,” she trailed off awkwardly, pressing her hands against her cheeks and lowering her head.

“Aww…no, rookie, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to snap at you like that. I’m just…well, it’s hard not to be kinda mad about the whole thing. It’s frustrating.”

“I don’t think there’s anything wrong with you, sir.”

It was sweet of her to say, but I didn’t see how she couldn’t. “It’s all right, rookie. It’s true, I guess. I mean, I am kinda off the wall, so it only stands to reason…most people probably get that impression when they meet me.”

Rosalind shook her head vigorously. “But there isn’t anything wrong with you, sir. I don’t think so, at least. I didn’t think there was anything wrong when we met. I just thought you were a little…well, a little energetic, let’s say. But that’s not a bad thing, sir. I liked it.”

God, she’s great. I mean, really, just a fantastic person. “Well…yeah…but that was then. You know me better now. I mean, everybody’s opinions are always changing and stuff…”

She shook her head again. “I like you just as much as I did then, sir. Probably more. You know…I’d always thought…I’d always been told, going through school and the Academy…that I cried too much. Everybody said so. I’d cry if I didn’t get quite make my marks at the range, I’d cry if the instructor scolded me, I’d cry if the drill sergeant so much as looked at me cross-eyed. But…then you told me, sir, in Junon, that if I had to cry I should go ahead and let it out. That it was a part of who I was. Well, sir, to me this sounds an awful lot like the same kind of thing. You can’t help it, it’s just who you are. So…that’s why I think you’re probably okay, sir. That is, if I’m okay, then you must be too.”

“God, rookie, you’re great.” I couldn’t keep that one in. I just had to tell her. It was a crime that she didn’t know. It was a crime that the whole damn city didn’t know. I’d climb up and shout it from rooftops, if I didn’t know that syndicated printing and television were more effective for reaching people. She had to be one of the best people in the entire damn world and nobody but me knew it.

Though, come to think of it, maybe I liked things better like that.

She shrugged and shook her head. “Oh, no, sir. Not so much, really. It’s just what you told me. And I was only curious why you couldn’t get second. I wish you could, sir.”

I tried really hard to go back to feeling badly. I mean, I really tried. Hard. I was supposed to be feeling lousy and jealous and awful about the fact that I couldn’t be promoted. But I just couldn’t. Not after the stuff she’d said. “It’s no big deal. They’re probably right. I mean…well, yeah, I handle you okay, but five recruits is quite a lot. It’s not even so bad…it just feels like I’m being passed over all the time. You remember Loretta?”

Rosalind tilted her head to the side and frowned, remembering. “Ah! Yes. The woman you want to marry. I remember her, sir.”

I laughed at that. For various reasons, it would be a very bad idea for me to try and marry Loretta. One of these reasons is that our wedding night would likely kill one of us, and it would likely be me. “Nahh, rookie. I don’t want to marry Loretta. You know I graduated at third class, right?”

Rosalind nodded vigorously. “Oh, yes, sir. That’s an incredible accomplishment. There weren’t any people in my year who graduated at third, and only a handful that did at fourth. You’re very good, sir.”

“Yeah, yeah. Shut up about that,” I told her, grinning. It’s hard to take compliments from Rosalind, because she always really means them. “Well, Loretta graduated at fifth. And it’s only taken her two years to pass me. And…goddamn, I know this is going to sound arrogant and I don’t mean it to…but I’m better than she is. I know it. But all the same, she’s still a level higher, and living it up with all the perks. And I know I’ve come a long way since I’ve started, but it doesn’t really feel like it.”

“And the only reason you can’t get it is because you can’t handle the administrative duties?” Rosalind questioned.

“Yeah…something like that. I dunno. I never quite had the whole thing straight.”

Rosalind nodded. “That’s what Rude said, sir. Why do they make the duties mandatory, though?”

I shrugged. “I dunno. The company does need administrators. People…well, people like Tseng. Tseng knows how to get us to work together. He’s a great thinker. Hell, I’d bet he’s gotten us out of dozens of bad screw-ups, just by being the one running the thing.”

“But you could do that, sir! I think you could, at least. And they won’t let you…because of paperwork?”

“I guess that’s a way to put it, yeah. I don’t really know that I could handle that sort of stuff, rookie…”

Rosalind shook her head. “That’s not fair, sir. Even if you couldn’t, they have loads of administrators already. They should still make you second class. You deserve it, sir. They should promote you!”

Her eyes flashed brightly in the lamplight and she thumped a fist on the railing. She was getting a bit worked up about the whole thing. I didn’t want that. I was all right about it, now. I always get over it. “Hey, rookie. There’s lots of people who don’t think it’s right. But it doesn’t do any good to get worked up. Believe me, I know. There’s no point to stressing about it. All you’re doing is spinning your wheels. Cool it, okay?”

She paused and looked just a little uncertain. “But, sir, it’s just…”

“I know. It’s all right, though. I’m okay, aren’t I, rookie? I mean, I was just clearing my head, and stuff. I’m glad you were around to talk to. I’d have stewed about it for days otherwise. So thanks.”

Rosalind blinked at me. “Well…yes, sir, you’re welcome, but…”

“C’mon, rookie, let it go. It’s fine. You’re not the first person it’s gotten to, and you won’t be the last. I’ll tell you right now, don’t bother getting ruffled by it. It doesn’t do any good. I’m all right. Okay?”

She struggled with this for a few moments (she’d probably been ready to get all fired up about it) then nodded. “All right, sir,” she agreed finally.

“Good on ya, rookie. Now, let’s head back. It’s getting kinda late, and it wouldn’t be the first time they’ve left me to walk back to the building.”

She nodded again and fell silent as we stepped off the bridge and headed back up the path.

The walk back made my stomach hurt. And my head. And my chest, kind of. Everything sort of hurt. Walking down a quiet path at night, lampposts every dozen feet or so with nothing but darkness in between, trees that loom in the shadows, dry, dead leaves on the concrete, and cold wind starting to grow in the air. And Rosalind standing barely two feet away, arms crossed over her chest, holding herself close against the cold.

I wanted her closer. I wanted her lips against mine, her head on my shoulder, her arm around my waist, her hand in my hand, anything. More than ever, now. I mean, I’d just let her closer, emotionally, than I’ve ever really let anyone. It only stood to reason that I wanted to go a little farther. If I had any kind of courage I’d have kissed her. I’d have put my arms around her shoulders and pulled her closer. I’d have taken her hand. I’d have given her my jacket. I’d have said something. I’d have done something. But, no. I was too afraid of what would happen. For all my fear, there may as well have been a continent between us.

I just couldn’t do it. It was simple as that. A single false move and I might completely and totally destroy what we already had. It wasn’t much, not nearly as much as I wanted, but even that was more than I ever wanted to lose. If I took a risk and screwed it up, it wouldn’t ever be the same. I couldn’t do that, not to her, not to myself. It would hurt me too badly to lose the precious little that we had. We were close. We were friends. That was good enough. Closer was too much to hope for. So was anything more than friends. Besides, the way I saw it at the time, the odds were too heavily against me to even consider the risk to be worth taking. And, regardless of how good being around her had made me feel, that thinking kinda put a bit of a damper on the whole evening.

*

Regardless of how bittersweet the night had been, though, I felt much better in the morning. I think everybody was kinda shocked that I was in such a genuinely good mood. I’m usually really mopey after stuff like this. I was in an absolute slouch for ages after Tseng got first; I think they’d all kinda braced themselves for something similar. But, nope. I was just fine. St. Andrew even went so far as to ask what exactly Rosalind and I had been doing last night. I tried to break a chair over his head, but Cyr stopped me. I suppose hurting St. Andrew is a pleasure she reserves all to herself. Or she was worried I’d really hurt him, or something. Which was probably understandable.

I spent a lot of the day training, then went out for lunch with Loretta and her girlfriend (a spunky little intern from the fifty-eighth floor. Purple hair, great eyes, marvelous smile. Just adorable. I was after her, for a little while, just for a bit of fun. Then Loretta found out and locked me in a broom closet overnight. When she let me out again, I was dehydrated and they were a couple. Funny how things like these always work out overnight.)

I should probably explain a few things about Loretta. I’ve mentioned before that we were friends when we went through the Academy. She’s from Icicle. Loretta is six feet, three inches tall, weighs about a hundred and ninety pounds (carries it very well, incidentally) has short, cropped blonde hair and brown eyes. Not golden, honey blonde like Rosalind. Closer to white blonde. She’s a great person and an incredible Turk. You don’t meet many women about whom you can mean, “she’s a goddamn tank” as a compliment. Personally, if I had to pick two words to describe Loretta, they would be, “fucking amazon” because I think she’d probably take it better. She’s dangerous.

But anyway. I got back from that and sort of slept and hung around my apartment for the rest of the day, then went to play pool in the lounge later at night. I love our lounge. It’s our little place within Midgar. I mean, that’s our territory and woe to anybody who strays in without good reason.

It’s a fair-sized room, big enough to comfortably hold a large TV, couches, armchairs, bookshelves, a pool table, other tables, and that sort of stuff. It’s just nice and comfy.

It was getting near to midnight, and I’d been playing pool with Rafe and Rude for the past couple of hours. St. Andrew had been playing for a while too, but he dropped out of the game after he found out that Rude is one of the single best pool players on the planet. It’s true, too. He can do all sorts of trick shots and stuff. He eases up when we play for fun, though.

Anyway, St. Andrew had gone over to watch a movie with Rosalind. Except I don’t think Rosalind was really watching. She kept looking up at the clock and chewing on her nails and fidgeting. I hoped there wasn’t anything wrong. She seemed awfully anxious.

St. Andrew appeared to pick up on this and nudged her shoulder. “D’you have somewhere to be, honey?”

She blushed and shrugged. “Oh…no. I’m just waiting to get the mail. When will it be here?”

“The mail? The mail always comes exactly at midnight. Don’t you remember?”

“O-oh. Right. Yes, I knew that. I just wanted to get the mail, as long as I’m up…”

St. Andrew arched an eyebrow at her. “It’ll be here tomorrow. Are you waiting for something important? It’s past your bedtime.”

Rosalind fidgeted some more and pressed up against the couch cushions. “W-well, yes, but I thought so long as I was watching this movie, I might as well wait and get it…”

“But you’re not watching the movie. You aren’t paying any attention to it. Are you sure you haven’t got anything special coming in the mail?”

She shook her head vigorously. “N-no, really, I don’t…” she protested.

Cyr looked up from the book she’d been reading. “Leave her alone, Andrew. She has a right to her reasons. For all you know, she just wanted some company before bed.”

St. Andrew laughed. “Oh, really? Well, Rosalind, why didn’t you just say so? I’m more than happy to…”

Rude plucked the cue ball I’d subconsciously picked up from the table from my hand before I could pelt it at the back of St. Andrew’s head. I started slightly and grinned a bit sheepishly. “Sorry. Wasn’t thinking.”

Rude grunted and returned the ball to its place, bending over and carefully sighting a shot. It didn’t matter. Cyr had thrown one of her shoes at him anyway.

The elevator doors slid open. “Mail’s here!” Bert, the mailman, called, entering the lounge with a canvas sack of letters and such.

We all stopped what we were doing as he made his way around the room. “Thanks, Bert,” I acknowledged, nodding when he handed me a handful of letters.

“No problem. Hey, you got some inter-company mail there, Reno. You might wanna open that one first, make sure it’s not trouble.”

“Huh?” Sure enough, there was a letter there with the Shinra logo and watermark on it. “Oh…well, hey. Yeah, thanks, Bert.”

“Yup. See you lot later.”

“Bye, Bert,” I called absently, setting my pool cue aside and studying the letter. I’d never gotten a piece of inter-company mail before. It made me kinda nervous. I hoped it wasn’t a report. I’d never been reported before, I didn’t know what it would look like. Shaking myself out of this little trance, I glanced at my other letters. There was nothing of interest and I cautiously looked around to see if anyone else had gotten anything similar.

I didn’t see anything like it among Rude and Rafe’s mail and I guessed St. Andrew hadn’t gotten one, because he was looking over at Rosalind’s letters, trying to get a better look at them. She had pressed them against her chest and was trying to fend him off. “C’mon, just lemme have a look…”

“Hey, knock it off, Andrew,” I called warningly. “You want something interesting? I’ve got a letter here from within the company…”

“Yeah?” St. Andrew immediately lost interest in Rosalind, who turned around on the couch to look at me too. “Where exactly?”

“Ummm…thirty-ninth floor.”

“So open it!”

I shrugged. “It’s probably nothing,” I said nonchalantly, praying it wasn’t a notification of misconduct or something as I tore the end open and pulled the letter out.

It was a notice of some kind, with all sorts of official legal language and a fancy letterhead and all that sort of stuff. I was immediately terrified. I’m not stupid. But a page full of itty bitty text, written in legalese, and with like, four signatures on the bottom more than scares the shit out of me. Nevertheless, it looked like an important sort of thing so I thought I might as well give it a go.

I was picking my way through the introduction when St. Andrew interrupted. “So what’s it say?” he demanded.

“Shit, Andrew, shut up. Made me lose my place. Give me half a goddamned minute, okay?”

Andrew rolled his eyes. “All right, all right.”

I really can’t understand these things. Why the hell can’t people just come out and say what they mean? Why do they always have to be so roundabout with it? Can’t anyone ever just give it to me straight? All I could pick out of this one were words and phrases like, “as authorized by a qualified promotion officer” and “officially recognized by Shinran Charter, paragraphs yadda yadda, blah blah blah” and “second class promotion” and “congratulations.”

I totally didn’t get it. For all I could tell, it was a promotion notice. That didn’t make any sense. The only conclusions I could draw were that it was a mistake, or that someone with a really twisted sense of humor was messing with me. Naturally, I jumped to the latter conclusion. And that made me kinda mad. There are only a handful of people who know what a touchy subject this is and the thought that one of them would’ve done this got me pretty damn riled. “If I ever find the jackass who thinks this is a funny thing to do to a guy, I’m going to break his arms,” I threatened out loud, glancing at St. Andrew.

He stared back at me. “What the hell are you looking at me for?” he demanded belligerently.

“You know damn well what, Andrew.”

“No! I don’t!”

I laughed bitterly. “Don’t play dumb, Andrew. God, you’re an ass.”

“I don’t have any idea what you’re talking about!” St. Andrew protested again. “Goddamn, is it that letter? What’s it say? Have you been fired or something?”

St. Andrew looked so incredulous that for a half-second I believed he might actually have been in the dark about this, but the fact that it couldn’t have been many people and of those that it could be; he was the most malicious, reasserted itself. “Ohh, no. No, you couldn’t have just left it with that. This is a really shitty thing to do, Andrew.”

“For Christ’s sake, I don’t know what your problem is!” St. Andrew exploded. “Cyr? Cyr, get your nose out of your goddamned book and figure out what the hell’s he on about!”

Cyr sighed and looked up from her book. “What’s the matter? Is it not a company notice?” she questioned.

I glared at St. Andrew. It seemed like a logical sort of thing to blame him. I mean, if anyone I know is given to cruel pranks, it would be him. “Oh, it looks like one. Bet you had to fuck quite a few secretaries to get this to go through, huh, Andrew?”

“Get off my case ya psycho! What the hell are you, some kinda paranoid neurotic?” he demanded, starting to sound outraged. “I don’t know what you’re talking about, dumbass! Get it through your thick head!”

“St. Andrew, be quiet. Reno, don’t be vulgar. Let me see.” Cyr stood up and came over, taking the envelope the letter came in and examining it for a few moments. “Nothing he could do to any of the secretaries would get him access to anything like this,” she pronounced. “This has got an executive’s seal on it.”

I snorted. “Ohh, that just means he’s sunk lower than any of us ever thought possible. An executive, Andrew. Well, at least you’re shooting high.”

St. Andrew flushed and his eyes flashed. “Now, you listen! This is crossing a line! I had nothing to do with it, all right? I don’t even know what the hell you’re on about!”

“Oh, yeah? Well…”

“Sir, please, stop,” Rosalind called a little plaintively. “I really don’t think he did anything…”

That shut me right up. I didn’t think I’d been upsetting her. Cyr took advantage of this, putting a hand on my shoulder. “She’s right. Whatever it is, Reno, it wasn’t him. This is postmarked for today. Well, Andrew was out with me all day. He couldn’t have sent it.”

Well. All of a sudden I didn’t have an argument anymore. “Oh. Umm. W-well…uhh. Sorry, Andrew. It’s just…err…”

“What? I’m the only person in the room you consider scummy enough to do something to you? Oh, thanks, Reno,” St. Andrew said sarcastically.

“Well, I said sorry. Hell, you’d jump to conclusions too if you were in my shoes.”

Cyr squinted over my shoulder at the letter. “What is it, anyway?”

I shrugged a bit sheepishly. “I don’t honestly know. I think I know…but it doesn’t make any sense…so I figured someone was messing with me.”

Rude took the letter and read it over. His eyebrows arched and he grunted, handing the paper back. “It’s exactly the same as mine. But…hmm. If someone’s messing with you, partner, then you’re right, it isn’t funny.”

Rosalind climbed over the couch and came over, looking up at me, concerned. “What’s wrong, sir?” she questioned.

“It…the notice…letter…whatever. It says I’ve been promoted.”

“What’s wrong with that, sir?” she asked.

I stared at her. “Rookie…uhh. We had this talk last night. I can’t be, remember?”

Rosalind shrugged. “Maybe they changed the rules, sir.”

“Goddamn, rookie, why would they do that?”

“Nobody knows why anything happens in a bureaucracy, sir,” she answered seriously, without even a hint of sarcasm in her tone. “It looks legitimate, doesn’t it?”

I nodded slowly, the calm, rationality in her voice getting me just a little bit hopeful. “Yeah…that was what threw me…but…rookie, no. Why wouldn’t anybody tell me the rules have changed?”

She shrugged again and tapped the paper. “Maybe they are.”

Cyr leaned over my shoulder. “It does look legitimate.”

By this time, St. Andrew had gotten curious enough to come take a look. He glanced at the letter and grinned. “Well, hey! Looks good enough to me! Way to go, Reno!”

I shot him a look. “Andrew, shut up. It’s not legit, all right? It can’t be.”

Cyr chewed her lower lip. “I really don’t know…it looks official. And…well, anything’s possible, right? What if it were? How can we tell?”

Hope is a funny thing. I’d spent countless hours, wishing and hoping that one day, through some sort of miracle, I might get promoted. Just one of those things you wish for, even though you know they’ll never happen. And then, when it actually seems to happen, I refuse to believe it could be true. Maybe it’s sort of a defense mechanism. To accept that you’ve actually got something you wanted that badly would probably make you pretty damn happy. And the happier you are, the bigger the letdown will be.

I stared at the letter. In spite of all that, I couldn’t help wondering just a tiny bit if it might be true. Just a tiny bit. “Well…sheesh. If it were…and I’m not saying it is, because that’s impossible…but if it were…Tseng would get a copy, right? For his records, and stuff? He’s got loads of papers in his office. Some of them have to be about promotions, right?”

Rude nodded slowly. “That only makes sense, yes. He’s probably still in his office…”

The elevator doors slid open with a chime and Tseng stepped out, walking quickly across the room. Speak of the devil, and all that. He had a letter in his hand, and he looked a little bewildered by it. “Reno, you’ll forgive me asking this, but…" he stopped when he saw I had one too. “Oh, you do have one…well, then. A notice of promotion, I presume? Then that means this must be legitimate. Congratulations.”

I think everybody had kind of been waiting on it, hoping a bit more than I’d been, because they all started celebrating. Cyr was already right next to me, she laughed and gave me a hug, St. Andrew slapped me on the back (possibly a little harder than he might have normally, but I had been a bit of an ass), Rude clapped a hand on my shoulder, Rosalind just flushed and looked extremely pleased. They were all talking at once, congratulating me, I guess, but I didn’t really catch any of what they’d said. I was a bit dazed by the whole thing. For a few seconds, I hung on the very edge of giving in to what I wanted, then shook myself out of it. I still didn’t believe it.

“Guys…listen. Just shut up for a second,” I interrupted, taking a deep breath. “It’s a mistake. It has to be a mistake, all right? I’ll call someone in the morning and…I dunno, report it or something. There are reasons I can’t be second class. And…well…much as I’d like to…I can’t. I’m not cut out for the duties. Sorry.”

Yeah, that shut everyone up. I’m such a downer, sometimes. I wish I wasn’t. Everybody just looked so disappointed. I felt badly. Maybe I should’ve just taken it and then reported it later, when it wouldn’t make other people feel sorry for me. Rosalind tugged on my sleeve. “What exactly does the letter say, sir?” she asked.

I shrugged. “I don’t know. I couldn’t read it. You know how those things are written…”

“So maybe Tseng should look at it, sir. If there’s something different, then he could tell, couldn’t he?” she suggested.

“I’d be glad to take a look,” Tseng added, holding out a hand and taking a letter. “Mine looked legitimate.”

I waited quietly as he pulled his glasses out of his front pocket and read it over, muttering to himself, skimming and understanding every word of it. Rosalind looked up at me and smiled. After that, I couldn’t help hoping. Just a tiny, tiny bit that it might be for real.

“Well,” Tseng pronounced finally, taking off his reading glasses and returning them to his pocket. “If there was a memo, I didn’t get it, but it looks like the rules have changed. Administrative duties don’t appear to be mandatory anymore. At least, if I’m reading this right, they’re not. I’ll check around…ask the Commander, when he gets in tomorrow…but for all intents and purposes, this is completely legit.

I don’t know if anyone else knows what it feels like to be thrown out of a car. Or tossed in a harbor in midwinter. Or hit in the head with a shovel. What I felt upon accepting that yes, this was true, I was officially second class could be approximately equated to all three of those, rolled into one. To get something you’ve wanted for ages and ages, for absolutely no apparent reason is the kind of thing that blindsides you.

Everybody was congratulating me again, but I didn’t hear a word of it. Not a single damn word, until Rosalind tugged on my sleeve again. “I knew you deserved it, sir,” she said shyly, smiling.

I grinned. “Well, shit. I didn’t see this one coming! I never would’ve expected…I mean…well, goddamn. Who changed the rules, I wonder? Hey…Tseng, who put me up for it?”

Tseng flicked the letter and skimmed it again. “Promotion officer, promotion officer…ah, here we are…Colonel Joseph Kramer.”

Everyone stared at Rosalind, who was very quietly trying to sneak away. She froze in the hallway, her back to us, very still. Joseph Kramer. That must have been her father.

“Rookie…” I started slowly. I couldn’t believe it. Two years of agonizing over the fact I wasn’t ever going to get second-class, and she goes and fixes it in less than forty-eight hours.

She turned around and blushed, keeping her eyes to the floor. “W-well, sir, I…that is…I mean, I…” She stopped and bit her lower lip. All of a sudden she was looking up at me like she’d done something terrible. I didn’t understand. “It’s just I thought…I…I’m sorry, sir,” she said finally, dropping her gaze again.

I didn’t get it. She goes and does one of the most wonderful things anyone’s ever done for me, and she’s sorry? Maybe she didn’t understand how I felt about the whole thing. I moved closer and put my hands on her shoulders. She winced and turned her head away. “Hey…rookie, listen. You’re probably going to be mad at me for this, and I’m sorry that it’s the only course of action I feel appropriate…but in light of the circumstances…well, I’m sorry, but I’ve just gotta do this. Please, don’t be mad.”

Rosalind swallowed hard and nodded, still staring at the floor. Gently, I caught her chin in my hand and tilted her face up. For maybe half a second she stared at me, and then I kissed her.

Caught her totally off guard. I could tell because she was tense at first. But she relaxed. If it’d been someone else, I might even have thought she’d enjoyed it. Especially because of the little gasp she gave at the end, thought that might’ve been because I’d been hugging her pretty hard too. God, to have that happen on a more regular basis. I’d have given anything for that to happen again. I could’ve died happy, right then and there.

“Thanks, Rosalind. No one’s ever done anything like this for me before. Thanks.”

I meant that, too. This was a really, really incredible thing for her to have done. I was happier than I’d been in quite a long time.

“It really wasn’t anything, sir,” she protested, blushing. “I just…knew what had to be done to get it to go through.”

Cyr laughed. “Bribery. Why, Rosalind. I never would expected something like that from you.”

“Bribery!” Rosalind echoed, shocked. “Oh, no! No, never bribery!”

“How, then?” St. Andrew pressed.

She flushed and muttered something, pressing her hands against her cheeks the way she does when she’s embarrassed. It’s the little things about her, the things like that, that really get me.

“Didn’t quite catch that. Speak up, Rosalind.”

“Oh…w-well…if you really must know…I might’ve blackmailed him, a bit,” she admitted, smiling shyly. “Just a little bit.”

God, she’s wonderful. How is it even possible not to be attracted to someone so kind and sweet and honest and warm and pretty and willing to do something so unexpected and dastardly, just because she thinks a problem should be solved? “Man, rookie, you’re just incredible.”

She shook her head vigorously. “Oh, no, sir. It really wasn’t anything. Anyone could’ve done it, sir, if they’d known who to push.”

“Still…thanks, rookie.” I wanted to say a lot more than that. I wanted to tell her how this was the first time in my life that someone had gone to such a length to give me something I wanted. I wanted to hug her again. I wanted to kiss her again. I wanted to tell her exactly how much I loved her. But, then, I kinda feel that way all that time, so this wasn’t really so different.

Rosalind flushed and shrugged awkwardly, backing towards the hallway. “Well…I think I’m going to go to bed. It is rather late.”

“It is past your bedtime, isn’t it?” St. Andrew commented, winking at her. “Have a good night, Rosalind.”

She nodded. “Yes…good night.” She gave a little wave, and then scurried off down her hallway.

“G’night, rookie,” I called after her, half-wishing I’d had the guts to follow her down the hallway and say something a bit more meaningful. “I think I’m gonna head to bed.”

St. Andrew looked over at me. “You? You’re gonna head to bed? It’s only midnight! And, shit, you just got promoted! We’ve gotta celebrate! Grab your jacket, we’ll go out for drinks or something, the lot of us! Hey, we can celebrate for Rude too! This has been a long time in coming, we’ll have fun for the both of you.”

“Nahh…” I declined, kind of abstracted while I was saying it. “I don’t really wanna go, if Rosalind’s not gonna come along…doesn’t seem right, being that I’ve got her to thank and everything. Maybe some other time, when we can all go together.”

Cyr yawned. “I don’t think I’ll come. I should probably head to bed myself.”

St. Andrew blinked a few times. “But…but, drinks! C’mon! There’s loads of clubs still open, down on main street…hey, if the girls aren’t coming, we could go find some strippers! I know this really great place…”

“St. Andrew, not every good thing in life needs to be celebrated with sex.” I didn’t really think about saying that, either. It just kinda came out, before I could think about it. It wasn’t the sort of thing he’d like to hear, either.

He stared at me, dumbfounded. “What? What the hell’s that mean? When did you get morals?”

Cyr sighed, lifted a hand, and slapped Andrew as hard as she could. And that’s saying something. “Leave him alone, Andrew. Not everyone is as inclined to depravity as you are,” she chided, giving me a hug. “He’s a good boy. Leave him alone and maybe we can keep him a little less corrupted than you are. Go to bed, dear.”

“Yeah…sorry, Andrew. I just don’t feel quite up to partying all night. Some other time, okay?”

“Whatever,” St. Andrew muttered, rubbing his cheek ruefully. “You go to bed, then.”

“Yeah, I will…good night, everybody.”

I headed to my apartment, duct taped my promotion notice to the fridge, and crawled into bed, knowing full-well that I would be awake all night, staring at the ceiling, thinking about Rosalind. I probably wouldn’t sleep. There are worse ways to spend an evening.