Harmonies
Eagleheart  

Chapters

Author's Note
Prologue

1. Overture
2. Rubato
3. Scherzo
4. Vivace et Affettuoso
5. D.S. al Coda
6. Dolente
7. Harmony and Dissonance
8. Impetuoso
9. Morendo



The trip from Midgar to Junon, by company jet, takes precisely three hours, eighteen minutes, and twenty eight seconds. I know that because every second was full of the sheer and draining agony of boredom. I hate plane rides. They’re long and dull and boring and I couldn’t even sleep like Rosalind did because I was so worked up.

Usually, on trips like this, I’ll sleep. I like sleep. It’s easier than trying to occupy yourself. However, if it happens to be a trip to Junon, I’m more likely to get myself all bent outta shape because I can’t stand Junon.

Contrary to popular belief, I am entirely, utterly, and totally justified in my complete loathing of that stinking city. It’s an awful place. Midgar is an absolute haven, compared to Junon. The system in Midgar is pretty simple. Good, law-abiding, productive citizens above the plate, dangerous criminals below the plate. Some people call this kind of segregation unfair, but I’ve never been in a city that runs as smoothly as Midgar does, so I’m gonna say that, fair or not, it works. This kind of system isn’t in place in Junon (though there are upper and lower sectors, the only real difference is in age and architecture) and thus, the classes mix. Bad things happen, when you give the criminals access to the upper class. It’s really best to keep the two apart.

Now, that’s not really the reason I hate Junon. There isn’t any other city in the world like Midgar (I’ve been around, so believe me, I know) and if I hated them all just for that, I couldn’t really go anywhere. No, the reason I hate Junon has to do with the fact that I’ve never had a good experience in the city. Ever. Each and every single time I’ve been there, something hellishly bad has happened. Knowing that, I can’t think why Commander Veld keeps sending me. Maybe he hopes I’ll grow out of it or something, but I’d really sooner not take the risk, myself.

I can’t really explain it, but there’s something about Junon that turns me into a bona fide jinx. I don’t particularly care to recount most of these experiences, but one particularly unpleasant incident involved an elevator stuck in a burning building. Being stuck in an elevator is bad enough, but getting caught in one when the building it belongs to is burning down is just awful. A person’s luck has to be pretty damn bad to get stuck in either of those situations, never mind the both of them at once.

So, given that I’d had three sleepless hours to stress out about just what was going to be happening this trip, I was a nervous wreck by the time we entered Junon airspace. The co-pilot actually stuck his head out of the cockpit and told me if I didn’t stop pacing, they weren’t going to be able to land the plane. I felt kinda bad about this (it’s a tricky thing to land a plane), so I headed to the back of the plane to wake Rosalind up.

Shinran jets are designed to be the epitome of comfort. First class, all the way. The bunks at the back are very comfortable, and if you aren’t having a small panic attack, perfect for sleeping through a plane ride. Rosalind was curled up on one of these bunks, looking so goddamned cute, it was almost criminal to wake her. She’s got very long eyelashes. I don’t think she wears any makeup (she doesn’t seem the type for it), she’s just naturally very pretty. It was a terrible shame I wasn’t allowed to flirt with her, but then, since she was supposed to be my subordinate, I guess it would’ve been weird. So I just gave her a little nudge in the ribs. “Rookie? Hey, rookie, wake up! We’re over Junon.”

Rosalind sat up and yawned, stretching. “Already, sir?” she questioned sleepily, rubbing her eyes. “Did I sleep the whole way, sir?”

“The whole damn way. You’re very cute when you’re asleep,” I told her (it wasn’t flirting. I just figured she had a right to know.) “It’s a pretty damn comfy plane, isn’t it?”

“Yes, sir. Didn’t you sleep, sir?”

Immediate subject change. If I’d been flirting (but I wasn’t), that would’ve been a brush off. But, since I wasn’t, she was just embarrassed, maybe flattered. “Nah. I’m way too wired. Couldn’t sleep if I tried.”

Getting out of her bunk and straightening the cuffs of her suit (damn thing wasn’t wrinkled. Not even creased. My suits are falling off of me at the best of times, never mind after I’ve slept in them.)“Nerves, sir?” she questioned, taking her two handguns from the shelf beside the bunk and holstering them. “Your hands are shaking, sir.”

I attempted to laugh this off. “It’s nothing, rookie,” I told her, wishing I’d gotten a subordinate who wasn’t quite as sharp or an assignment that didn’t have me quite so tightly wound. “Go get ready to disembark. I’ll just be a minute.”

Rosalind nodded dutifully, and padded out of the back compartment in her stocking feet, to put her shoes on. I waited until she was occupied, then ducked into the bathroom at the back and opened the medicine cabinet above the sink. Well-stocked with a variety of drugs, the medications of choice for any of the Turks who use the plane. The top shelf is mine. I selected a small white bottle and promptly dropped it into the sink with a clatter. I was nowhere near as steady as I needed to be.

I wished I’d thought to close the door as Rosalind glanced up, then looked back down. I struggled with the cap for a little bit (damned childproofing. Don’t drug companies know that anyone who needs anti-anxiety drugs is liable to have shaky hands?) then took two pills, dry. Not advisable, I know, but I really didn’t have time to bother with water.

Taking a few deep breaths, I straightened my tie and grabbed my nightstick, slipping the leather strap attached to the handle over my wrist. Rosalind had finished tying her shoes and was waiting at the door of the plane for me. “Headache, sir?” she asked.

“Umm?” I didn’t have any idea where she’d gotten that idea, then I realized she must have seen me popping pills. Nice kid, to draw such an innocent conclusion. “Oh. Yeah. Just a headache.”

“I see, sir. I hope it gets better, sir.”

I had a feeling she knew I was lying, but I let it pass. “I’m fine, yeah. C’mon, rookie. I’d kinda figured the plane would blow up as soon as we hit Junon airspace, but it seems we’re in the clear, so we’d better go.”

Rosalind blinked at me and followed me down the foldout staircase to the tarmac. “Sir?”

“You ever been to Junon, rookie?” I asked her, glancing around the tarmac and sighing. Still the same great, stinking city.

“I haven’t, sir, no.” she declined, shaking her head.

“Hmm.” Well, it was probably best I warn her about what was coming. “I’ll tell you right now, rookie, it’s a big, stupid, ugly, dirty city and I utterly loathe and detest it.”

Rosalind seemed taken aback by this as I headed briskly for the terminal building. “You don’t like the city, sir?” she questioned, catching up to me.

“Hate it. With a passion. Junon stinks. And something bad always happens when I come here. C’mon, let’s grab a cab.”

Rosalind trotted to keep up with me. I guess I was walking kinda fast for her, but then, I was still incredibly nervous. Those drugs take some time to work, but they’d kick in when I needed them. For the moment, I was just edgy. If anything happened to get my adrenaline going, I’d probably just collapse in a twitching heap. I really need to stop coming to Junon.

We got into the airport terminal building, and promptly got separated in the bustle inside. Rosalind probably isn’t used to the constant press of bodies in the city of Junon, because it’s so poorly organized compared to Midgar. I had to go weed her out of the crowd a few times, until I eventually just grabbed her by the hand and pulled her along to the elevator down to street level.

“Mind the cable when you step on, rookie. If we get stuck in here, the building’s going to catch on fire,” I warned her seriously.

Rosalind gave me a strange look. “I don’t understand why you say that, sir. Junon doesn’t seem so bad so far.”

I can’t believe Tseng hadn’t told her about me and Junon. Or about him and Mideel. Or Rude and Rocket Town. I sighed. I guess it was my responsibility. After all, she was my subordinate. “Every Turk has an unlucky city,” I announced. “It doesn’t matter what kind of mission you’re on, be it a patrol, reconnaissance, body-guarding, or whatever. Something’s going to go wrong with whatever you do in your unlucky city. Junon is mine. And, I’m sorry that this has to be true, rookie, but something’s going to go wrong with this mission. It might be big, it might be little. But it’ll be something.”

She didn’t believe me. I could tell from the way her eyebrows were. “Are you sure you might not just be imagining things, sir?” she asked slowly.

“I’m not kidding, rookie. It’s a statistic. Ask Tseng, ask Commander Veld, ask anybody. They’ll all tell you horror stories about their cities. The branch offices in other parts of the world are for the Turks who can’t handle Midgar. Of course, I do worse in Junon than anybody else does anywhere. I dunno why Commander Veld keeps sending me. Maybe ‘cause I’m the only option, or something. Or maybe ‘cause I’m just that good.”

“Are you really serious, sir?” she asked doubtfully as we stepped off the elevator and headed out into the streets. She still didn’t believe me. Oh well. I guess it is kinda hard to believe.

“I’m perfectly serious, rookie. You’ll know when you find yours. Just watch yourself, okay? My bad Junon luck hasn’t ever affected a partner, but I dunno what the rules are about subordinates.”

There was a hint of a placatingly amused smile about her lips. “All right, sir. I’m not terribly worried, but I’ll be careful.”

“Good. Now, stay back from the curb and I’ll get a cab.” I waved her back from the edge of the road and flagged down a taxi. They always stop for Turks, because they know we tip well. Of course, I wasn’t about to tip a Junon cabby anything. I wasn’t even going to allow a Junon cabby the liberty of getting by without a quick bomb sweep.

Rosalind climbed into the cab as I went around to the front of the cab and lifted the hood. I heard the cabby complaining, but I didn’t particularly care. I pulled a small penlight from my pocket and did a quick sweep of the engine. Nope, no bombs there. I slammed the hood down and circled around to the side of the cab, dropping down to the ground and peering underneath. No bombs underneath, either. And I didn’t figure there’d be one in the trunk, because that was where people would put their luggage, and they’d probably notice a bomb.

I climbed in back with Rosalind, ignoring the cabby glaring at me. “It’s all clear, rookie,” I told her. “No bombs.” I glanced through the Plexiglas screen separating us and the driver. He looked like your standard old-timer, but you never can tell. “Listen, buddy, no funny stuff. You think a little plastic’s gonna keep me from getting atcha if you try anything screwy? Take us to the Hotel Crowley on…”

“Goddamn Turk! I know where the goddamned hotel is!” And with that, he put his cab in gear and peeled away from the curb.

“Hey, watch it! Goddamn you, trying to get us killed!” I slumped back in my seat, morosely buckling my seatbelt.

Rosalind eventually spoke up. “What’s the President like, sir?”

Oh, right. She was going to be meeting the Prez for the first time. Well, there was no sense lying to her. “He’s a crabby old dickhead who doesn’t listen to anybody. You have to know how to handle him.”

Rosalind blinked at me. What was she expecting? You’d think they warn the kids coming up about what the man they’re working for is really like. “And do you know how to handle him, sir?” she asked nervously.

“Me? Oh yeah. Better than most people, at least. He likes me. He probably won’t listen to a damn word I say, but he likes me well enough.” That was true, at least. It didn’t do much to improve the relative shittiness of the whole situation, but it was a point in our favor that the President is rather fond of me. I stared out the window as we drove through Junon. “I can’t honestly say I’m thrilled about this mission. It’s going to be pretty tough.”

“At least we know what’s coming, sir,” Rosalind answered optimistically, shrugging. If I continued to be in such a foul mood, her positive attitude was going to get really irritating.

“Yeah. A lot of trouble.” The only answer to optimism is pessimism. It balances things out.

We pulled up in front of the hotel and my PHS rang I as I got out. I left Rosalind to pay the cabby and answered. “Reno.”

“Are you at the hotel, Agent?” Commander Veld asked. I could hear the noise of the War Room in the background. This thing was being coordinated, no doubt about that. I wasn’t the only one expecting problems.

“Affirmative, sir.”

“Good. The President is in his suite on the top floor. He’s expecting you. Report to him immediately. Your task will be to escort the President to the branch office. It’s not too far away, and the streets are already clearing, so you should have an easy time of it. However, Avalanche members have been spotted in the streets.”

“Isn’t that just peachy?”

Commander Veld grunted. “If any of them interfere, it will be your responsibility to stop them from damaging the President.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah…”

“You seem edgy, agent. Have you taken anything for that?” Veld asked.

I don’t know why, but this set me off and I was probably a little snappy when I answered. “Well, yes I did, sir. Same as goddamn always when you send me to this stupid city. One of these days I’m gonna overdose and die.”

There was a pause on the other end of the line. I winced. I could feel the scolding he was about to give me. Instead he just sighed. “Listen, Reno, I’m not any happier about this. You’re there because the President needs to be managed and you’re the best agent we have for that. If I’d had my way, he’d be on a plane back here by now and we’d have called off the whole address. But, my way is not what matters. His way is. So I’d like to be able to do this with as little resistance from you as possible. Are we clear?”

Commander Veld has a way of guilting me that no one else can manage. “Sorry, sir. I’m just nervous.”

“Well, try to calm down. And remember you’ve got Rosalind there. That girl has good sense. Cover for each other, all right? You’ll be fine.”

“Roger, sir.”

“What did the Commander say, sir?” Rosalind asked when I snapped my phone closed.

She didn’t really need to know the details, so I glossed over the majority of his lecture. “Oh, he just wanted to know if we were at the hotel yet, and to tell us that the President is waiting for us in his suite. We’re supposed to report to him immediately.”

“What did you apologize to him for, sir? Did we do something wrong?” she asked as we went into the lobby of the hotel.

Man. Aren’t blondes supposed to be dumb? Maybe Rosalind is a natural brunette and she dyes her hair blonde. I shrugged uncomfortably and pressed the up button on the elevator. “He just told me not to be short with him.”

“Oh.” She dropped the issue. The Commander was right. She does have good sense. Absently, she stared around the lobby of the hotel, taking in the richness of the surroundings. The Crowley is a pretty nice place, even when your room reservations get mixed up and you end up in a crappy little main floor suite as opposed to one of the deluxe suites on the higher up floors. Rosalind seemed to notice two guards with guns standing by the entrance. “Don’t the guards make the guests nervous?”

I glanced at her. “There aren’t any other guests, rookie. This is the President’s annual address to the City of Junon. It’s a big enough deal that he books the entire hotel.”

Rosalind stared at me. “The entire hotel?” she echoed disbelievingly.

I couldn’t help laughing at her, she looked so incredulous. “It’s not that big of a hotel. If he’d booked one of the high-rise hotels in Midgar, it’d be different, but this one’s old and kinda small. Only four stories. His entourage takes up the top floor. The rest are empty, except for a handful of guards. That’s mostly for security reasons. Anyone can check into a hotel, rookie. They’ve even taken most of the hotel staff off. It’s a pretty big deal.”

“You can say that again,” she agreed, wide-eyed, as the elevator arrived. “How many guards are there, sir?”

I thought about this for a moment, then counted quickly on my fingers. “As of right now? Ten. Usually there are thirty or so, but most of them are setting up a perimeter at the Junon Branch Office. That’s where his press conference is, and where the address he gives is broadcasted from. It’s a really big deal, rookie. They plan this thing for an entire year, from the end of the last one, to the start of the next one. In the entire process, there is a single lull. Just one. And we’re in it.”

Rosalind looked grave, understanding the connotations of this statement. “How long does it last, sir?”

“It’s a six-hour window. We’re three hours into it now. The majority of his bodyguards and entourage are occupied away from him, getting things set up for the broadcast and the conference and the parade. They’ve got the whole thing down to a science, and apparently this lull can’t be avoided. So it’s a danger zone. And now we have Avalanche to worry about.”

“How bad do you think it’ll be, sir? With Avalanche, I mean.”

I shrugged. There was no sense in my being anything but realistic. Realistic, not pessimistic, although, given the circumstances, the two weren’t all that far apart. “I couldn’t tell you for sure. If you want me to honest, it could be pretty damn bad. When all was said and done, there were a lot of them in Midgar. It’s obvious that this is a coordinated attack, and they know about the lull, because of the way they’ve timed it…I dunno, rookie.”

Rosalind nodded as the elevator stopped at the top floor and we stepped off. She had a vaguely distant expression. “This place is nice,” she remarked absently, running her fingertips over the wood paneling. Probably getting herself psyched up.

“Nothing but the best for President Shinra.” I gave her a wink. No sense in her getting all bent outta shape. “That’s why we’re here, of course. Don’t you worry about it, rookie. Just keep your head up and we’ll be fine.”

She gave me a grateful little smile (I love it when she smiles. Really, really love it. I mean, really) and followed me down the hallway to the President’s room. There were two grunts posted outside. Grunts are fun to mess with.

“Good morning, gentlemen.”

“Sir!” they said in unison, saluting.

“All quiet on the western front, I trust?”

The one on the right nodded. “Sir, yes sir. The President is waiting for you, sir.”

“Oh, good. It’s good to be expected. Do you know if he’s had anything to drink yet this morning? Nip of scotch, a bit of brandy, maybe? He would’ve snuck it into his coffee?”

The guard flushed slightly. “I wouldn’t know anything about that, sir.”

“Bah. Well, we’ll see. He’s a bitch to deal with if he hasn’t had a little something to drink.”

I waved him aside and entered the President’s hotel room, leaving Rosalind to offer the guard a few kind words. “Ah, Mr. President. You’re looking well today, sir.”

“Can it, Turk,” the President growled, sitting at a table in the living room, still in his pajamas and robe. Sky blue and magenta. The President’s sense of style is best described as…flamboyant. But only if flamboyant is understood to mean “severely lacking in taste.” In which case I should probably say “garish,” but one doesn’t say such things of the President of Shinra. To sum the matter up, he has orange hair and a penchant for the color magenta. Now, I’m a redhead and I understand that there are certain colors of the spectrum that are off-limits to me. If the President’s tailors weren’t so scared of him, maybe they’d have the sense to explain that fact to him. In any case, he glanced at me appraisingly. “Got anything to drink?”

“Of course, sir. One shot or two, sir?” I produced a small silver flask from my jacket. Most Turks carry some kind of liquor. There are various reasons for this, some of which are medicinal. For example, Rude carries some kind of Wutain saké with the approximate potency of a general anesthetic and I’ve had Loretta dump half a flask of vodka on an open wound. After I stopped screaming, she told me it was to prevent infection. I think she just likes seeing me in pain. The other reason is, obviously, stress management. The pressures we’re all under, it’s a wonder we’re all not alcoholics. None of us get absolutely hammered on jobs, of course, but it’s rare to go into a job without a little something in your system to keep you calm.

“Make it a double,” the President snapped, rustling his newspaper. He accepted his coffee and drank it all in one go, then looked up at Rosalind. “Who’s the blonde, Turk?” he questioned, eyeing Rosalind as she snapped to attention and saluted.

“She’s my subordinate, sir.” I couldn’t help feeling just a little bit proud about that. After all, she was my first one ever, and probably one of the best fifth classes in the company.

“Rosalind Kramer, sir,” she reported crisply. “Fifth class.”

The President laughed gruffly. “Aren’t there rules against you being in charge of people, Turk?”

I’ll tell ya, nothing undermines the emotion of pride faster than being laughed at by the most powerful man in the world. “She’s very talented, sir.”

“She’d have to be, if she’s working for you.” The President laughed again and crooked a finger at Rosalind. “C’mon over here, blondie.”

Rosalind hesitated and glanced at me. I gave her a brief nod, so she walked over to stand at attention by the President, giving another salute. He smiled at her, looking all bemused and benevolent, then beckoned her closer again, looking her up and down and motioning for her to turn around.

I should’ve expected this. It was naïve and stupid of me not to have. In point of fact, the President is a disgusting letch, who treats all female operatives like trashy hookers. In any case, Rosalind yelped and was across the room in two seconds, blushing like crazy. Poor kid.

“Oh, loosen up,” the President laughed.

“S-sorry, sir.”

I felt awful. If it had been anyone else, she’d have broken his neck—any woman I know (most of whom are Turks) would’ve. And, if the woman in question hadn’t, I would’ve. But he’s the President and, as much as we might like to sometimes, attempting to kill him is frowned upon. “Maybe you should go get dressed for your speech, sir,” I suggested.

The President sighed and got up heavily. “If I have to. Stupid city. The population is a bunch of chowderheads. I honestly don’t know why I bother with Junon.”

The obvious reason is that of the Junon Cannon, the single most formidable piece of weaponry on the face of the Planet. It was built in a final expenditure of Shinra’s weapon industry, as a deterrent of war. Anyone steps outta line, the Company steps in and prudently reminds the aggressor that there’s a big-ass Mako energy blast with their name on it, if they don’t straighten up and fly right. Once they got into the energy business, it wasn’t profitable to have nations at each other’s throats all the time.

“I’m sorry about him, rookie,” I told Rosalind, as soon as the President had gone into his room. I took up the standard position in front of his door. “Really, I should’ve warned you. He’s usually not this bad.”

Rosalind shook her head and pressed her palms against her cheeks. “O-oh, n-no, sir. It wasn’t your fault.” She cleared her throat and toyed with the cuffs of her jacket, trying to compose herself again.

“Well…no, I guess not, but still. I should’ve said something.” I still felt terrible about the whole thing. ”I swear, if he were anyone else, I’d beat the shit outta him.”

“If he were anyone else I’d do it myself!” Rosalind answered hotly. And that was the first indication I got that Rosalind could take care of herself. Of course, she paled several shades when she realized what she’d said and clapped a hand over her mouth. “I didn’t mean that, sir!” she apologized quickly.

I couldn’t help laughing at her. “Aww, rookie, don’t worry about it. You’re all right. Believe me, you’re not the only one who wants to.”

She shook her head. “Oh no, sir. It’s one thing to think it; it’s quite another to say it. I shouldn’t say such things. I just can’t believe the public don’t realize what a…a…”

“There are a lot of words for what the President is, none of which should be repeated in present company. And it’s entirely possible the public does know.”

“Well, then why doesn’t someone say something?”

I glanced at her. “Well rookie, you’re a plucky little bird. Why don’t you go in there and tell the President precisely what you think of him?”

Rosalind stared at me. “Because that’s suicide, sir.”

“Right. That’s why. Besides, he might be naked and lord knows, not even Mrs. Shinra enjoys that. Nah, rookie. There’s no sense in bucking against all the abuse he dishes out. It’s just the job. But don’t forget, you are capable of killing him. I wouldn’t advise trying it, but remember you could if you wanted to.”

She laughed. I thought it was a pretty nice thing when she smiled, but hearing her laugh is the sort of thing that makes a person forget there’s anything bad in the world. “I’ll keep that in mind, sir.”

“Good on ya, rookie. You’re gonna be just fine.”

The door of the President’s room flew open and the door handle caught me in the small of the back, causing no small amount of pain. He’s a big fellow and I’m not exactly a heavyweight, so I was pretty lucky to remain standing as he came out of his room. “Giving your…ahem…‘subordinate’ a pep talk, Turk?”

“You might say that, sir,” Rosalind answered, fixing the President with a frigid stare. Wow. The President cringed a little and even I was a bit unnerved at the look in her eyes. Cute or not, she’s dangerous as all hell. (I like that.)

In any case, the President avoided her eyes and cleared his throat. “Commander Veld sent you, did he? Hmm.”

I went over to the closet and retrieved the President’s coat. “We’ll be escorting you to the Branch Office from here, sir,” I informed him politely, winking at Rosalind as I passed.

“Hmph.” The President pulled a cigar from a case in his front pocket and came over to the closet. Handing it to me, he accepted his coat and pulled it on, while I trimmed the end off his cigar and gave it back to him. Regrettable as it is, I am the best at handling the President, god knows why. It’s lucky he has a contingent of personal guards, or he’d probably enlist me as a bodyguard. And I don’t think I could handle that.

“Ready to leave, sir?” I asked him, handing him a book of matches from the front pocket of my jacket.

Rosalind went over to open the door, but just as she reached it, it flew open and a red suited man with a mask and goggles over his eyes stood at ready stance. “Death to the President!” he shouted.

The both of us, Rosalind and me, reacted. I stuffed the President in the closet and shut the door, drawing my nightstick, while she whipped a handgun out and shot the guy. It’s a credit to her reaction time, but unfortunately it didn’t do much. The assassin was probably wearing a bulletproof vest.

Rosalind arched an eyebrow as he rushed her, dodging his attack and rolling neatly away as he recovered from the miss. She had already taken aim as he turned to face her, and she fired again, taking out one of his kneecaps, then was on her feet as he fell, shooting him in the back of the neck almost before he hit the ground. Now that is talent. Talent with minimal bleeding.

Very nice!” I approved, grinning at her. “I would’ve been more help, but…” I jerked a thumb over my shoulder at the closet door I was holding closed, and then the President yanked it open. Nearly took my arm out of my socket. Lord, he’s a beefy guy.

“What the hell was the meaning of that, Turk?” he roared at me, turning purple. Maybe that’s why he likes magenta—because it’s semi-natural coloring for him. “What’re you trying to do, suffocate me? I don’t care what Veld authorizes; you do not lay hands on my person! Dammit, Turk…”

“Sir!” Rosalind interrupted, gesturing at the assassin.

The President spun around to shout at Rosalind, then stopped as he spotted the assassin. “Who the hell is that?”

I gave the body a bit of a gingerly kick. “A member of Avalanche, sir. An assassin. Had Veld told you about them, sir?”

The President got even purpler. “One of the terrorists from Midgar? They’re in Junon? In two of my cities?! How dare they…”

The TV on the far wall turned on. That’s one of the really freaky things about the Company. They’re wired into everywhere and can piggyback cameras and video systems just about anywhere in the world. Essentially, the President’s TV was a window into the War Room back at HQ and the camera on top of the TV meant that Veld had the same deal. His face appeared on the screen. “Mr. President! Are you all right, sir?”

The President looked up from glaring at the dead assassin and went over to the TV. “I’m fine, Veld. What the hell are terrorists doing in my cities?”

“I briefed you about it when I told you I was sending in the Turks, sir. They’re moving into Junon as we speak. In the interests of your protection, I really must suggest we pull you out of the city and return you to Midgar. To proceed with the reduced level of security afforded to us now is too great a risk.”

I was all for the idea of pulling out. Hell, if the worst thing that was going to happen was a doorknob in the back, I could almost count this experience as a positive one. Obviously, though, it wasn’t in the cards. Not with my luck, and not with the President’s stubborn determination to show the people what a tough old asshole he is.

“We will proceed as planned, Veld,” the President said stiffly. “The public will not see that we are afraid of these foolish miscreants.”

Despite this, Veld wasn’t finished. “Do not dismiss the idea yet, Mr. President. Tseng, patch through the security camera footage, so the President can see.”

The screen suddenly divided into four and showed Avalanche members, creeping through the halls. “Aww…shit,” I grumbled. But still, it was possible for some good to come out of this…

Veld came back on screen. “Now, sir, I really must insist you pull out of Junon and…”

“Hell no, Veld!” the President snapped. “I’m not calling off the biggest event of the year, just because of a few measly terrorists! Fix it!”

“But sir, I can have a helicopter there in…”

President Shinra ground his cigar between his jaws. Nasty habit, smoking. You won’t find a Turk who smokes. To hell with stress relief or whatever. I’ve never understood the rationale behind smoking. Those things’ll kill ya. We’re all strictly monitored, because substance abuse is a huge liability in the business. “We will proceed as planned. End of discussion.”

It’s kind of a scary thing, that the most powerful man in the world is so goddamned stupid. In fact, one of the only things that I’d consider scarier is having to work for him.

Commander Veld sighed. He’s got a tough job. I feel for the guy, sometimes. Taking orders directly from the President, when they aren’t watered down and manipulated by a few other hands, is a tough thing. “I’ll send a few guards from the parade ground.”

The President grunted. “Not too many. The parade is always perfect. I won’t have it messed up.”

The camera above the TV, which sent video feed directly back to the HQ (Tseng set all this up, by the way. He’s absolutely incredible when it comes to these kinds of things) whirred and turned to Rosalind. “You’ll be heading down and clearing the building, agent. There are only five of them. Can you handle that?”

“Sir. Yes, sir.” She saluted and brushed her hair out of her eyes.

The camera turned to me. “And you’ll stay here with the President, Reno.”

I was about to suggest that I go clear the building, but I stopped myself. Rosalind probably wouldn’t appreciate being left alone with the President. Besides which, if he did get fresh with her, there was no guarantee she wouldn’t kill him. Or injure him. In the long run, it was just better that I stay. She could handle herself. “Right, sir. I doubt we’ll have any problems.”

“I should hope not. Be careful, agents.” And the TV turned off.

The President grunted. “Try not to take forever, Blondie. I have things to do today.”

Rosalind nodded once, a little stiffly. “Yes, sir. I’ll be back soon, sir.” And then she left. I went over to the door. The assassin had kicked it open, busting the lock. I closed it anyway, even if it wasn’t going to hold. It was a comfort thing.

President Shinra picked up his coffee cup and swirled the dregs around, swallowing the remnants and licking his lips. He went over to the TV and turned it back on, standing in front of the couch and watching the screen, split four ways again.

After a few silent minutes of watching Rosalind, he chuckled. “That little blonde sure is a looker. Bit uptight, but still. Quite a body. Don’t you think so, Turk?”

I shrugged. “I’m really not supposed to have an opinion about these kinds of things, sir.” That wasn’t entirely true. I had an opinion; I just doubted he’d like it. I was of the opinion that if he didn’t quit talking about Rosalind like that, I was going to hurt him.

“Oh, come off it. Tight little ass, decently endowed, the baby girl face…she doesn’t do it for you?”

It’s also a very upsetting thing that the most powerful man in the world is such a disgusting letch. “Sir, really. It’s against company charter for me to…”

The President laughed. “Shit, Turk. You’re really trying at this, aren’t you? You aren’t going to get anywhere, don’t you know that?”

“That’s no reason for me not to do it right, sir.”

“You people are all so goddamned moral about each other. Ah well. No matter. You keep it up, Turk. It’s a damn stupid way of doing things, but you keep it up.” The President glanced at his watch. “Fetch my wallet from my room, Turk,” he ordered, glancing at the TV screen. “She should be just about done.”

“Yes, sir. Please, wait in the hall for me.” I left the front room. Sometimes, it’s a hard thing to be in the same room as the President and not kill him. His wallet wasn’t immediately in evidence, so I hunted around a bit. I found it, in the pocket of one of his jackets, just as I heard the hotel room door open and shut.

“Ah, shit!” I cursed to myself, stuffing his wallet in my front pocket and taking off after him. I don’t know why the President hires bodyguards, if he doesn’t intend to use us.

I yanked open the hotel room door and crashed right into Rosalind, throwing the both of us to the floor. “Hey, rookie!” I got up and pulled her to her feet. “Sorry, rookie. You okay?”

She nodded and dusted off her suit. “Yes, sir. Where’d the President go, sir?”

I suddenly realized the hallway was empty. “He’s not out here! Goddamnit, I told him to wait for me! Damned bastard. Aww…man, if anything happens to him, I’ll be in so much shit…”

Rosalind shook her head. “The hotel is clear, sir. If he took the elevator, we can take the stairs and beat him down.”

Sensible girl. I like working with someone who’s got a good head on their shoulders. It means less thinking for me. “All right…yeah, all right. C’mon rookie.”

I took off down the hallway and down the stairs to the lobby. I was lucky I didn’t fall and break my neck. That would’ve been pretty damned embarrassing, in retrospect. I got to the lobby at least a flight of stairs ahead of Rosalind and stopped in front of the elevator, slightly winded. I hate stairs.

“Too damn much work, going down stairs,” I told Rosalind, when she caught up.

She nodded, gasping a little. Don’t misunderstand this. Neither of us were really badly impacted by the whole deal. We’re just trained to breathe deeply and take in a lot of air, so we recover faster after things like that. “He’s still only on the second floor, sir,” she remarked, glancing up at the dial above the elevator, indicating its position.

“Oh. Well then, we should make a bit of an effort to make ourselves look professional. Straighten up, rookie. Thatta girl. Pretend like you didn’t just fall down a flight of stairs.”

Rosalind flashed a brief smile, straightening the lapels of her jacket. “Junon hasn’t been so bad so far, sir,” she said cheerfully.

I’d forgotten about that, actually. I was supposed to be having a terribly bad time of things. Right. So maybe this time was a bit different. I still had to save face, though. “Yeah, well, just you wait. It’ll get a helluva lot worse before it gets better. The day is young.”

She sighed at me and rolled her eyes. “Whatever you say, sir.” I wasn’t entirely sure of it, knowing what a straight-and-narrow type of agent she is, but she might have been patronizing me.

The elevator doors slid open and the President stepped out, carrying a cane he’d acquired somewhere and puffing contentedly on his cigar. He waltzed past the both of us, lifting a hand. “Turk. Blondie. Let’s go. We don’t have all day.”

Turk and Blondie. It sounded like some kind of twisted sitcom. “Yes, sir.”

Rosalind ran ahead and held open the door for the President. We headed out into the bright sunlight outside the hotel. The streets were empty, everyone having gone to the stadium at the center of the city, for the President’s address. It’s a very big deal. However, there was a contingent of four guards waiting for us at the entrance.

Rosalind looked around curiously. “Where is everyone?” she asked, a little nervously.

The President snorted and strode out in front of the squad of guards. “They’re waiting for me to give my address to the city. And I’m already late. So let’s move out.”

Now, this contingent might’ve sounded like a good thing, but, in point of fact, it wasn’t. These weren’t soldiers. These were the President’s Personal Guard. They’re good for pretty much nothing. Well, no. I should give them their due credit. If you need someone to stand around for an hour and look shiny, you get one of the Guard. If you need someone to march in perfect time to the President’s anthem, you get one of the Guard. If some hapless ballet dancer breaks an ankle and you need someone who can pirouette and sashay on command, you get one of the Guard. But, given that not much pirouetting goes on when crossing enemy territory (though it has been known to happen), they’re essentially useless.

The guards all saluted crisply and snapped their heels together. “Yes, sir!”

I stuck my tongue out and saluted at Rosalind behind the President’s back and she grinned at me. Then she glanced at the Guard and came to the same realization I had. She suddenly looked dismayed and looked at me again. “Told you so,” I mouthed, rolling my eyes. I knew things were gonna start going wrong.

The President clapped his hands brusquely. “All right. Blondie, you’re on point. Turk, take the rear.”

It pains me to hear a man of such military incompetence using military terms. But, in any case, Rosalind took the lead, with two guards behind her, then the President, then the other two guards. And I hung around at the back of the pack.

It was slow going. Turks, by nature, move like smoke on the wind. We aren’t used to moving around out in the open, nor are we accustomed to working with show guards. Rosalind had to allow her pace to match the President’s, and the guards in front of me were actually marching in step.

Now, there’s only so much marching a guy can take. After about ten minutes, I’d had enough. I’m the type of person that gets really, really upset by constant, repetitive actions. They drive me nuts. Besides which, marching is really, really slow. Even compared to the President’s speed. So, more out of necessity than malice (but you can’t entirely discount malice), I flicked my nightstick out and tripped one of ‘em. He stumbled and broke step, then shot a glare over his shoulder at me and took up his march again.

So I tripped the other one. “Pick up the pace,” I ordered as he scrambled to regain his timing.

“We’re marching as fast as we can, sir,” the other told me, through gritted teeth.

“Well, then quit marching and walk like goddamned normal people!” Honestly, sometimes the solutions to problems like this are so simple.

“When we’re in formation with the President, we’re supposed to march,” the most recently tripped guard informed me.

Pompous ass. “Yeah, well, when I’m trying to get through enemy territory, I’m supposed to go as fast as possible, to avoid being killed.”

The first guard snorted. “This is the city of Junon! It’s not enemy territory.”

Dumb ass. “Listen, dickhead, had you heard anything about the terrorists moving into the city? Far as I’m concerned, there are hostiles around and we’re outnumbered. That makes it enemy territory.”

“Nevertheless, we must adhere to the pace set by the President,” Pompy said.

I gave him a light jolt with my nightstick. “He’s not going fast enough. And we’re like ten yards behind him even so! Seriously, get your asses in gear!”

Dumbo glared at me again. “I didn’t hear about any terrorists.”

“My security clearance is higher than yours, asshole. If I say there’s terrorists, then there’s terrorists,” I told him bluntly. I hate working with people who aren’t Turks. They just don’t get it. “Get moving.”

Pompy cut in again. “We’re members the President’s Personal Guard. I wouldn’t boast so loudly of my security clearance, if I were you. It’s measly compared to ours.”

I really didn’t have time for this. “Oh, really? Well, if I were you, I’d fucking shoot myself. Gawd, you’re an ass! I’m on a job right now. My directives take priority over whatever the hell orders you’ve been given. Now, let me put this simply, in terms you can understand. Go fast or I’ll hurt you.”

Dumbo was about to reply to that, but I pushed past the pair of them. It was stupid to waste time arguing. Stupid guards. Wastes of time, air, and space. I sped up and started to close the distance between the President and myself. I glanced ahead to see how Rosalind was faring, only to see a regrettably familiar torso emerge from a third story window, holding an explosive high above his head.

“Remember this, Shinra!” Shears yelled, hurling the bomb down.

It wasn’t a large bomb, but I did what I was trained for and threw myself to the ground. Duck and cover. The subsequent explosion was upsetting, but hardly something new in this line of work. Immediately after, I heard gunfire. Good. That meant Rosalind was okay. Man, she’s on the ball. She probably couldn’t even see what she was shooting at, but she was trying anyway. Clouds of smoke and steam from the pipes beneath the road billowed up and dust clouded the air for a few minutes.

The dust settled slowly and I pushed myself up, coughing a bit. Brushing ineffectually at the dirt coating my suit, I moved forward cautiously. Lucky I was careful, seeing as the blast had taken out a large chunk of the street.

“Reno, sir?” Rosalind called across the gap. It was at least five yards across, and dropped about two stories down into the subway tunnels. Someone was going to have to be alerted about that.

I waved at her as the dust cleared. “Hey! You all right, rookie?”

“I’m all right, sir. So is the President,” she called. Oh, right. I’d forgotten about him. Rosalind looked over her shoulder. “I have two guards over here, sir.”

Erm. Forgot about them, too. “Uh…hang on, I think I probably have the same…hey, assholes! Sound off!”

“One,” Dumbo muttered, creeping out from where he’d taken cover behind a dumpster.

“T-two,” Pompy stammered.

I couldn’t help grinning. That’d show them. “Yeah, everybody’s alive and accounted for. Pretty bit of luck, that is.”

Rosalind stared at me. “Luck, sir? In Junon?” she asked incredulously.

Now, that was patronizing. “Yeah, yeah, shut up.”

“How are you going to get across, sir?” Rosalind asked, smoothly changing the subject and gesturing at the crater in the street.

I paused, glancing up at the window. That had been Shears. I owed him a moderate beating. It’s really not good to let these things lie for too long. “I’m going after the bomber. It was Shears, I’m sure of it. Can you handle the President, rookie?”

Rosalind hesitated, but nodded. “Yes, sir.”

“You’ll be okay, right?”

She smiled at me. “Of course, sir. Good luck, sir.”

You wouldn’t think it if you didn’t start to get to know her, but she’s got a damned ironic sense of humor. I waved a hand at my guards and headed toward the building Shears had been in. “Very funny, rookie. I’ll catch up with you. Keep your head up!”

The interior of the building I entered was dim and cool, empty of people. Outside, it was already late-morning and the sun was bright in the streets. It was probably abandoned, even at the best of times, given the state of disrepair it appeared to be in. Junon’s economy sucks. You’d never find something like this in Midgar.

The door creaked open and I nearly had a heart attack, much to the amusement of the two guards. Gah. I’d meant to shoo them. I guess they’d taken it wrong. I didn’t need either of them, except maybe for Shears fodder. And I was prepared to take a few risks along that line. “All right, gentlemen. We have separated from the President, I have things to do, and god knows, I don’t want to be responsible for either of you bumbling idiots. Now, I’m going after an assassin. I leave you to your own devices.”

And with that, I strode across the lobby of the building and up the stairs to the second floor. I never saw either of them again, so I can’t honestly say for sure if they got out of Junon alive. Probably, though. It wouldn’t have been a difficult matter for them to bumble on back to wherever they came from.

I decided the building had probably been a small, crummy apartment block at one point, given the layout on the third floor. I crept down the hallway to the door of the apartment the bomb had been thrown from. Shears was probably already gone. But, hey, maybe Rosalind had managed to shoot the bastard. I wouldn’t begrudge her for it, if she had. Hell, I didn’t care who got to him, just so long as he got what he deserved.

In any case, I recognized the fact that the element of surprise was going to be rather essential to the whole deal, so I kicked the door down and rushed into…an empty apartment. Damn. I’d kinda gotten a bit pumped about the whole thing, and it was a bit of a let down that he wasn’t there.

On the bright side, it was evident that he had been. Five or six bullets had pierced the window, and there were drops of blood on the floor. So Rosalind had hit him. She hadn’t killed him, but she’d definitely marked him, possibly crippled him. And that made my job easier.

There was a smear of blood on the windowsill, a boot print, and the window was open, so presumably Shears had climbed onto the fire escape outside the window. I followed suit, climbing up a narrow ladder to the roof. There was a path of blood drops leading across the rough gray gravel of the roof and I followed them to the edge. Again a dusty boot print on the ledge at the edge indicated that Shears had leapt the gap between the buildings and was traveling along by roof.

As well as he knows my methods, the stupid ass doesn’t seem aware of the fact that I like to travel above ground too. And he’d left me a consistent path to follow, leading away from where Rosalind was taking the President. I hesitated at the edge of the roof. Away from the President. It probably wasn’t a good idea for me to be heading in the opposite direction that I was supposed to be. If Shears had been going back for another run at the President, it would be different, but going after him solely for the purpose of kicking his ass was kind of shaky justification.

I decided I’d spend no more than five minutes chasing Shears. If I didn’t catch him by then, I’d let him go. I set my watch to go off in five minutes, then vaulted over the gap between the buildings and followed the trail he’d left me. Given the way the drops were spaced, he wasn’t moving very fast. That meant that he was either moderately badly hurt, or not expecting pursuit. Both worked in my favor.

Sometimes, it got a little tricky to navigate from building to building and I wondered if Shears might not have returned to the ground. I managed a tricky jump onto another fire escape on the side of a rather tall building and discovered another blood smear. I had to hand it to the guy, he certainly had stamina. Climbing up to the top of the roof, I spotted Shears a few buildings over.

I crossed the roof quickly and clambered down another fire escape, executing a leap over to the shorter building alongside the one I’d seen Shears from. He hadn’t seen me yet and I intended to keep it that way. Creeping across the top of the building, keeping low and out of sight behind the half wall at the edge of the roof, I got close enough to see him.

He’d stopped on the next roof over, crouching down with a hand over a steadily bleeding wound in his shoulder. I would have to give Rosalind a big hug the next time I saw her. He tore a strip of cloth from his khaki jacket and clamped it over the wound, but it didn’t seem to do much. This was just too good. Grinning to myself, I stood up slowly and jumped this last gap. “Well, hey there!”

Shears jerked his head up and gaped at me. Then he scrambled to his feet, discarding the makeshift bandage he’d been holding and putting up his fists. “Turk!” he snarled, glaring fiercely at me.

“Seems you’ve picked up a bit of a nasty scratch there, Shears. I hope you aren’t a hemophiliac or anything.” I really and sincerely did. Ugh. He really was a mess. Bloody people are so unpleasant. Still, I’m happy I handled it as well as I did. I pulled my nightstick out and extended it. I jacked the current up a fair ways, and gave it a bit of a charge. It hummed and sparked, electricity leaping from the tip to the ground.

Shears eyed the weapon nervously. He seemed to realize the balance was a bit different this time around as I started advancing on him. God, I love making people squirm. Especially people to whom I owe an ass kicking. And I had every intention of absolutely thrashing Shears.

Unfortunately, though, it was not to be. Just as I jumped at him, he threw himself off the side of the building. Crazy bastard. I suppose he must have had that in mind though, because he landed in a pile of garbage in the alley between the buildings. If we’d been in Midgar, he would have broken his neck, because the trash collection happens on such an incredibly efficient basis.

I started to climb over the edge, totally ready to go after him, when my watch beeped softly. Shears was struggling to get out of the pile of garbage, but he paused and stared up at me when he saw me glance at my watch. I looked back down at him. It was a three-story building and I didn’t particularly feel like making that kind of drop, if I didn’t have to. Besides, it would probably wind up leading to more chasing, and he’d probably run into backup before I did. And on top of all that, I wasn’t technically supposed to be after him in the first place. It was against protocol.

“Forget it, Shears,” I called, grinning at him. “You’re not worth that kind of trouble. I kinda doubt you’ll be that much of a problem. I’ll see you around.”

And so I left him. He was probably moderately offended by that. I hoped so, at least. He seems the type who would take offense to the fact that I wasn’t even gonna bother killing him personally. Besides, it was entirely possible he’d bleed to death before he got help.

I returned to street level after a little while and headed straight for the branch office, following the trail of downed Avalanche agents. I know I say this a lot, and it must be getting repetitive, but man is Rosalind ever good. At least, I think so. I dunno. Maybe I’m just biased.

Eventually, I came across the bodies of both the guards that had been with the President. I sped up a bit after that. It wasn’t far to the Branch Office, but it was still a bit of a nervous business if Rosalind was without any kind of backup. These terrorists were obviously ruthless. It was a wonder I hadn’t run into any yet. Though I guess if their prime target was the President they weren’t likely to have people flooding the streets.

I found myself wondering about Avalanche. At that point, we didn’t really have much information. So far as I understood it, they were a terrorist faction with some kind of beef with Shinra. In my opinion, you have to be pretty damn reckless and have one hell of a cause to take on the biggest economic, political, and military superpower in the world. It’s suicide.

Shinra are present in every single major city in the world, supplying Mako Power. They’ve got a monopoly on the energy business and a hand in everything else under the sun. Beyond that, the corporation employs fully twenty percent of the entire population of Midgar. That’s over twenty thousand people, in Midgar alone. And that doesn’t count the Shinran special police force, the Shinran military, the Turks, or the First Class SOLDIER. It’s a goddamn huge company.

Which is why the rationale behind these attacks was completely beyond my understanding. Anyone who’d take on Shinra is delusional. One way or another, economically, politically, or militarily, you’ll be crushed. Even if they had a force of hundreds, the Shinran army would still outnumber them three to one. But then, I guess they weren’t really trying to severely damage Shinra. Logically, they couldn’t. Any idiot can see that. The real dangerous thing was if they started to gain support for whatever their cause was.

So that was basically what was going through my head as I headed for the Branch Office. I was rather relieved to get there in the end, and glad to see a bunch of guards waiting on the steps. Something clicked all of a sudden and I ducked into an alleyway before they saw me. There was something off about these guards. They were lounging around on the front steps. Their uniforms were all improperly sized. They weren’t properly armed. And it appeared they’d gotten their hands on several bottles of liquor and a case of Mideelian cigars. Even in Junon, the military personnel aren’t that slack.

Now, there were four of them and one of me. And they weren’t armed, so it wasn’t even a fair fight. I decided to have a little fun with them. After all, what could it hurt?

“Hey!” I yelled, coming out of the alley and shouldering my nightstick. “Is this the Junon Branch office?”

The “guards” stared at me for a minute, then one of them spoke up. “Uh…yeah. Yeah, it is. You need something, Turk?”

I shrugged. “A slug of whatever you’re drinking probably wouldn’t hurt. Man, I’m beat. I’ve been all over this stupid city, trying to find the Branch Office and for what? Everything’s obviously under control here. Terrorists, hell. Paranoid company. I never should’ve left Midgar.”

“Hah. Yeah,” one of the guards agreed, grinning at his comrades and laughing. Sometimes, I love playing the idiot. Goading people into that false sense of security is always fun. Especially when it’s a buildup to tearing down all hell for ‘em afterward.

“I mean, really. You guys are…hey, am I gonna get a drink, or not? …professionals. You’ve got a handle on things, right?”

“Oh, sure, sure,” another guard laughed, handing me a bottle. Stupid terrorists. I wondered how long they’d been drinking. They all looked a little tipsy. “Nothing to worry about here, Turk.”

I grinned at him. “Oh, good. Well, then. I suppose I’d better get back to work.” And so, because I’ve got such a weakness for drama, I smashed the bottle down on the head of the closest guard (it really takes a hard hit to do that right. And typically it’s just a waste of good liquor) and brought my nightstick into play.

Once the first guard had gone down, I had a broken bottle in one hand and my nightstick in the other, so it really wasn’t much of a chore to take the rest of them down. I left the four of them moaning and groaning on the front steps, and headed in to find Rosalind. And the President.

They were supposed to be in the pressroom down the main hallway. I headed down the corridor, and found an Avalanche assassin blocking the doorway. He was facing into the room and had a knife in one hand. Apparently, he was also a bit preoccupied by Rosalind, whose gun had jammed up on her. Once again, the rookie was in trouble.

It was a very small matter to give the guy a light tazing and knock him over. “Heya, rookie. Hope I didn’t keep you waiting too long.” I stepped over the assassin and took note of the other two, lying dead on the ground. “I just got a little held up at the entrance. Man, what’s gotten into these Junon guards?”

Rosalind ejected the shell casing that had jammed her gun up and shrugged a bit sheepishly. “I’m glad to see you, sir. I don’t know that I could’ve taken a man with a knife.”

“Mmm. It’s not something I advise. I’ve had prior experience in knife-fights, and the scars to prove they aren’t something pleasant.” I looked over at the President. He’d taken his place behind a podium and was muttering to himself and shuffling through some cards. “Hello, Mr. President, sir. I trust everything went well, sir?”

The President grunted and looked up from his index cards. “Shut up, Turk,” he snapped. “You’ve gone and made me lose my place. Take the little blonde and go find the camera crew.”

“The camera crew?” It suddenly dawned on me that the pressroom was very empty of the people required to be there. “Hey, where the hell’s the camera crew?”

Rosalind shrugged and holstered her weapon. “I don’t know, sir. It was empty when we arrived. You don’t suppose…would Avalanche have…?” she trailed off and bit her lower lip. The idea of Avalanche killing a bunch of innocent civilians probably got to her a bit. I know it got under my skin, to say the very least.

She was about to continue, when something caught her eye. She sighed and crossed the room, kicking the knife the assassin by the doorway had carried out of his reach. “Where’s the film crew?” she demanded flatly, crouching down next to him. The assassin didn’t respond. Rosalind put a hand on her handgun and ran her thumb over the handle. “I’ll ask again. Where are the members of the film crew?”

As interesting as it would have been to watch Rosalind get the information out of this guy, the President did have a schedule to keep. “Hey, rookie?” I interrupted, going over and tapping her on the shoulder. “Regrettable as this is, now isn’t necessarily the time for you to be practicing your information extracting techniques. Given that we only have so much time, maybe I’d better do it.”

“Certainly, sir,” Rosalind acceded politely. Personally, I think she was probably relieved. She doesn’t seem the type to be good at torture anyway.

I crouched down next to the man, who was sprawled on the floor, evidently smart enough not to try anything funny in the presence of two armed Turks. “Hi, there. Now, before I start anything, I’m legally required to ask you the question once and give you your fair chance to answer. So here’s your chance. Where’s the film crew?”

He glared at me. “As if I’d tell you, Shinra.” And then he spat at me. I laughed. It’s a shame these people always make it so hard on themselves.

“Hmm. That’s your prerogative, I guess. It’s not like I didn’t give you a chance.” I grabbed his wrist before he could react, and broke his thumb.

Well, no. I didn’t break it. I just dislocated it, but it set him screaming anyway. The hands are always a sensitive area. And, technically, that was against the rules. The Gongaga Accord sets specific guidelines on methods and circumstances surrounding the extraction of information. According to that, I wasn’t allowed to damage him. I was supposed to haul him back to HQ and surrender him to my superiors so they could torture him in as humane and politically correct a manner as possible.

But then, the way I see it, if I was at his mercy, it’s highly unlikely he’d been following the principles of the Accord. Besides, a few minutes ago when he was up and active, it was perfectly legitimate for me to kill him. And, hell, all I’d done was dislocate his thumb. If he gave me any more trouble, I’d be glad to put it back. In any case, getting information out of people is mostly psychological. Shinra’s methods of torture are all about lying to ‘em (and using drugs. Lots of drugs). And I’m marginally good at that (at lying. Not using drugs.)

Once he’d finished with his screaming, I picked up the knife Rosalind had kicked away and fingered the blade. “Listen. Why’re you making this so hard for yourself? I don’t need to stop with your fingers, you know. You have toes, too. And I’m a pretty creative person. I’m sure I can figure something out after I’ve exhausted those options. So c’mon. Where’s the camera crew? If you don’t tell me, I’ll send my colleague here to find them. And every second she’s gone is gonna be pure hell for you.”

Rosalind winced at that. She’s definitely not cut out to dish out the talk required to get a prisoner shaking. Depending on the prisoner, sometimes you have to pretty vulgar and have the attitude to make what you’re saying sound believable. Actually, Loretta’s very good at it, but then, Loretta scares the shit out of me, so that’s understandable. Thankfully, the assassin wasn’t up for much. “The kitchen,” he muttered finally. “They’re in the kitchen.”

“See? Isn’t life easier when we all just cooperate? Thanks for that, then.” I got up and brushed the dust off my pants. I half-considered telling Rosalind to go find the prisoners, but then, it was entirely possible that this was a trap and I didn’t want to be sending her straight into trouble. “Rookie, you stay here. I won’t be long, all right?”

Rosalind nodded. “Yes, sir. Be careful, sir.”

I ducked out of the room and glanced up and down the hallway. I’d been to the branch office in Junon once or twice before, so I had a vague familiarity with the layout. The kitchen was down this same hallway, towards the back. I recognized it by the brushed steel door, padlocked shut.

The lock presented a bit of a problem. I don’t typically carry the tools required to pick locks. The thought’s crossed my mind, and it’s been necessary on more than one occasion, but I’ve never actually gone to the trouble of picking up a lock picking kit. When the situation presents itself, I usually just find something relatively heavy and solid (in this case, a handy paperweight from a nearby office) and smash the lock. It’s a bit crude, but moderately effective.

I pushed the door open and leaned in. A dozen people were sitting around inside, pacing or whatever it is prisoners do when they’re locked up. “Are you guys the film crew?” I asked rhetorically. “Because the President’s here and…”

One of the prisoners leapt up. “The President! What time is it?”

“Uh…” I glanced at my watch. “It’s quarter to eleven.”

Shit!” the guy, presumably the person in charge of all this, shouted. “Get moving people! We’re on in fifteen!”

It’s not a very pleasant thing to have a dozen people just about trample you. “You’re welcome!” I yelled down the hallway after them. Sheesh. Crazy people. Didn’t even stop to find out if the building was clear or not. To the best of my knowledge, it was, but then, my knowledge wasn’t the greatest.

I returned to the pressroom and joined Rosalind on a small couch on the sidelines, while people bustled around and got ready for the President’s address. “No business like show business, hey rookie?”

“I suppose not. Did you run into any trouble getting here, sir?” Rosalind questioned absently, watching several makeup people getting the President all gussied up.

“Nah. No trouble. What about you? Seems you got the President here pretty well. Neither of you were hurt?”

“No, sir. I’m…I’m fine, sir.”

“Oh. Well, good.” There was something about her tone that was bugging me, but I couldn’t quite place what it was. She seemed distracted by something, maybe a little distressed. “Is there something wrong, rookie?”

She didn’t answer for a few moments, hesitating. “Uh…well…”

“C’mon, rookie. Spit it out. What’s the matter?”

She bit her lower lip and looked up at me. I was suddenly very preoccupied by her eyes. Wow. Rosalind has very pretty, very big green eyes. I hadn’t ever seen them quite this close before. “Can I tell you something, sir?” she asked nervously.

Right about then, she could’ve told me whatever the hell she wanted. “Sure.”

“Well…it’s a professional matter, sir. Seeing as you’re my superior…”

“Aww, rookie, don’t start that up again…”

Rosalind shook her head hastily. “Oh no, sir. Nothing like that. It’s a company matter.”

“Oh.” Company matters aren’t really my strong suit. “Well…I’ll give it my best shot, rookie, but I can’t promise miracles. What’s the deal?”

Rosalind took a deep breath and sighed. “I would like to report a Class C offense, sir,” she said formally.

“Erm. Uh…Class C.” I figured this had something to do with the fact that I’d gone off after Shears, but that didn’t seem quite right. I really don’t have the company rules as straight as I should. I remember a few key points, but mostly the charter is just a big long blur of don’t do this and don’t do that. Even so, it’s mostly just common sense and even lacking that as severely as I do, I haven’t ever been called on anything before. “Help me out here, rookie. What’s a Class C offense? What’d I do?”

“Not you, sir!” Rosalind protested immediately. “I mean me.”

That was a new one. “You…hang on…you’re reporting yourself?”

Rosalind nodded emphatically. “Yes, sir. I…”

“Hold it, hold it. Why? What’s a Class C offense?” Typical. It’s just my luck that I get a recruit who knows Company Charter backwards and forwards.

“A Class C offense is…well, it’s an offense to a senior official within the company. Things like…like insubordination,” she explained. Then her face fell. “Oh, sir, I’ve done something awful!”

Poor kid looked absolutely crushed. And I felt terrible for her. She just got promoted and all, and now she’d gone and committed some kinda offense that, from the sounds of things, could cost her that promotion. “Aww…hey, rookie, it’s probably not so bad…what’d you do?”

“I…oh…I…” she trailed off and covered her face with her hands. “I yelled at the President,” she whispered.

I waited for her to continue. I was expecting her to say that then she’d hit him or something, or stuffed a gun in his face, but she just sat there. “Rookie…?”

“I…I’m going to be demoted aren’t I, sir?” she stammered, her voice catching slightly. “I’m in terrible trouble, I just know it…oh, sir, what if they fire me?”

I stared at her. “Oh…that’s it? You yelled at the President? Well, that’s all right. I’m sure you were justified. It’s no big deal. Turks are always screaming at each other, in the heat of the moment. It’s adrenaline.”

“No, sir, you don’t get it! I yelled at him!” Rosalind cast a terrified glance toward the President and her voice dropped back down to a whisper. “I…I said some very bad things.”

I still wasn’t quite following. “Uh…like what?”

Rosalind flushed. “I called him…well, I called him a…a pompous, arrogant, lecherous old coward,” she whispered, so quietly I could barely hear her, and even so she stared at the President like she was worried he’d heard.

“So? He is one, isn’t he?”

“Sir! Please, be serious!” Rosalind demanded. “You don’t say such things about the President! Especially not to his face! He’ll fire me!”

I couldn’t help laughing at her. She’s just so goddamned cute when she’s outraged. “Aww, rookie…hell. He’s not going to fire you. He’s not going to demote you. I doubt he even remembers what you said.”

“But I…”

“Rookie, come on. You’re a Turk. Goddamn right, you yelled at him. This is one hell of a stressful job. I’d be worried about you if you didn’t blow a fuse once in a while.”

Rosalind stared at me. “But he’s the President…” she insisted, stressing the word, annunciating every syllable, like the fact wasn’t getting through my head. “Sir, please. What do you think, really?”

“Really? I’m starting to think you might have a bit of a temper, rookie.”

She blushed. “I don’t mean to, sir. It’s just he…he treated me so poorly and I…well, I just got angry. He’s so…so…”

“Difficult,” I finished for her. “Yeah. I know. But don’t worry about it, really. It’s true, not many people blow up at him…” Rosalind’s eyes got all big and round again and I held up a hand as she started to speak. “But the President understands that those who do are under a lot of pressure. You probably didn’t even mean what you said.”

Rosalind chewed her lower lip. “But what if I did?”

Man. She’s a very hard person to reassure. “So what? Who the hell cares, rookie? He sure doesn’t. There isn’t a hell of a lot that offends President Shinra, rookie. And even so, I bet you’ll say far worse than what you said today before your done with this company.”

“Are you really sure, sir? You’re sure I won’t get in trouble?” Finally, a spark of hope in those pretty green eyes.

“I swear to you, rookie, if he gets on your case about this, I will personally raise enough hell to make him drop it. Shit. If nothing else, he’ll leave you alone because he knows you work for me. He likes me, remember?”

Rosalind nodded slowly. “But how can you tell, sir? He’s awfully mean to you too, sir.”

“Yeah, but he’s meaner to others. So, by comparison, he likes me.”

Rosalind nodded again, seeming to accept this. I once made that comment to Tseng. He told me my logic was flawed. I told him it wasn’t flawed; it was just different. Because that’s all it is, really.

“But…sir, what he says does upset you, doesn’t it?”

I couldn’t quite answer that immediately. How the hell does she get right to the heart of the things I’m touchy about? “Yeah, well, he knows the stuff that gets to me, even if he doesn’t mean what he says. Just don’t worry, rookie. You’ll be fine.”

“I can’t help thinking I should file a report anyway, sir.”

“Good god, rookie. Let it be. Hell, I don’t know if you’re even allowed to report yourself.” But then, it’s important to keep in mind I don’t know shit about the finer points of the Charter. “It’s all right, rookie.”

Rosalind bit her lower lip. “Well…would you report me, sir? It is an offense, and even if the consequences aren’t that severe, I should pay for what I did.”

“Holy shit. You’re serious, aren’t you?” I didn’t believe this. In my mind, it is completely beyond rational explanation for a person to be asking for punishment. Unless… “Hey, rookie. You into masochism?”

“No!”

“Oh.” Well, then I was back to completely and totally not getting what she wanted. “It’s just I’ve never met anybody so fixated on getting punished. Damn, rookie. You’re talking like the company rules actually matter.”

Rosalind stiffened slightly. Whoops. Must’ve touched a nerve. “My father is a member of the Shinran military, and he’s always taught me that the rules are the most important thing in the world,” she told me, a bit coldly.

Ah, the military. I guess that was her problem. There’s a world of difference between the Turks and the military. “Well, maybe if you were in the military, they would be. But you’re not. You’re in the Turks. And it’s our job to break rules. The difference between a Turk and a soldier is that a Turk’s actions aren’t regulated by strict protocol. When a soldier’s given an order, he has to follow it to the letter. When we’re given orders, pretty much anything goes. Whatever it takes to get from point A to point B is what you do.”

“But, sir…why even have rules like that, then?”

I felt for her, really I did. She seemed so flustered and confused by the whole deal. “I don’t honestly know, rookie. Probably for legal reasons. I just know that there aren’t ever any serious punishments for breaking rules. I personally think the rules are there for us to break them.”

She looked a little relieved at that. “So you’re positive I won’t get in trouble, sir? I’ll work on controlling my temper, I promise…”

“I’m sure you’re fine, rookie. And don’t worry about your temper. Not to put you down, but you’ve got nothing on me, when it comes to temper. Lemme tell you something. When I was just a new recruit, probably even greener than you are, I punched Commander Veld in the face.”

Rosalind stared at me, wide eyed. “No. You didn’t.”

I laughed at that. She’d been very firm about the way she’d said it, like it was a statement of fact, rather than an expression of disbelief. “I did, though. Broke his nose. Shit, he was a mess for weeks afterward. I’ll be damned if I remember what we were fighting about, but something had gotten me riled and I finally hauled off and slugged him.”

I could tell from the look in her eyes that she still didn’t believe me. “You must have been demoted, sir,” she remarked. I think she was probably trying to humor me. “The Commander must have done something…”

“Yeah, he did. He broke my jaw. I know he doesn’t work in the field anymore, rookie, but don’t ever underestimate the Commander. Don’t try to pick a fight with him, either. A single blow and I wound up in the hospital for six weeks with my jaw wired shut. Have you any idea how hard it is for a person like me not to be able to talk for six weeks?”

She smiled a bit. “Yes, I imagine that would have been hard for you, sir. But surely that wasn’t it?”

“Well, he came to visit me after that and apologized. I couldn’t really reciprocate, but I guess he could tell I was pretty damn sorry. He also told me that if I wanted to fight, I should warn him beforehand so he knew ahead of time not to kill me. He hadn’t actually meant to hit me quite as hard as he did, I don’t think. He just reacted.”

“Was he mad, sir? Weren’t you punished?”

I shook my head. “Nah, not mad. I think he knows it’s part of the way I am to be a little hotheaded.” Just a little. “And six-weeks stuck in a hospital room is quite sufficient for punishment, thanks. Sheesh. I don’t even wanna think about what you’d have done to me, if you don’t think that’s punishment enough. Man. Forget masochism, you must be into sadism. Commander Veld did arrange that I stay a little longer than necessary though, but I think that was because…”

And then the lights went out and everyone started screaming, so I didn’t get to finish. Actually, that was a pretty lucky thing. I’d come very, very close to telling Rosalind something I’ve never actually told anybody. I dunno what the hell it is about that girl that gets me talking so freely, but I really needed to be more careful.

I grabbed her arm. She tensed immediately, but relaxed when she realized it was just me. “Get over to the President, rookie. I don’t like the feel of this.”

“Yes, sir,” she whispered. She was awfully close that I could hear her whispering. Both of us got up, she headed over to the President and I headed in the direction I hoped the door was. I tripped a couple times and bumped into a few people, but eventually I reached the doorway and stuck my head out into the hallway. It was completely dark out there, too, except for the lights coming from the windows at the front of the building.

Suddenly, a TV on the far wall flickered on and it got marginally brighter. Commander Veld appeared on the screen and I heard the whirring of a camera scanning the room. “Agents! Are you there?”

In the pale light, everybody rushed for the doorway and fled. Show biz people are easily spooked, I guess. It was the shame the power had gone out. And just before the President’s speech, too. He likes giving his speeches.

“We’re here, sir!” Rosalind called.

I moved towards the sound of her voice, just outside the circle of light cast by the TV. I stumbled over a few things and knocked over what was probably some very expensive equipment, but my eyes were starting to adjust. “Yeah, I’m here too, Commander,” I called wryly. He could probably tell.

“It seems the Mako generators in the building have malfunctioned. We’re running on auxiliary power here. Is the President safe?”

I managed to get to the podium where the President was (looking shit-scared, at that) and rubbed at what was going to be a very nasty bruise on my hip. “Yeah, we’re good on this end, sir.”

“Good,” Veld affirmed, his expression growing grave. “Reno, you stay here with the President. Rosalind, go to the generator room and figure out what the problem is. I’ll guide you through the hallways. Give me a call when you’re ready to go.”

And then the TV turned off and left us in darkness again. I had to do something to remedy that, so I headed over to where I’d seen a film light and crouched down next to it, feeling for the cord that plugged it into the wall. I found it and unplugged the thing.

I had to be careful here. I took out my nightstick and made a few quick modifications to it, then plugged the light into the handle. It sparked a bit and I cursed and dropped it. Messing with electricity in the dark isn’t necessarily the best idea in the world, especially not with the voltage and amperage the EMR is capable of putting out.

“Are you all right, sir?” Rosalind called, sounding a little worried.

“Yeah, yeah…gimme a minute.” I got it properly wired, and the light turned on. It wasn’t much light and it wouldn’t last much more than ten minutes before I’d have to swap the power cell out, but it would do for now. “There we are. Temporary solution, at best, but better than nothing. Whew. Gotta learn to be more careful with this sparky stuff.”

Rosalind shook her head. “Really, sir, you might’ve electrocuted yourself…”

I waved this away. It was sweet of her to be so concerned, but I wasn’t worried. I got up and went back over to the President and her. “You heard the boss, rookie. You’d better get going. Here.” I took an earphones and a microphone clip out of a jacket pocket for her. “Hook these up to your PHS. Hands free, y’know?”

Rosalind nodded and accepted them. “Yes, sir. Will you be in contact with me, sir?”

“Nah. I’d just babble a lot and slow you down. I’ll call you if I need you, all right? And it’s dark out there, so I’m gonna give you my sunglasses.”

“Umm?”

I have to pause here for a moment and give a little love to the boys down in the equipment department. Shinran technology is just incredible, if it can give a person the EMR, the PHS, and night vision sunglasses. In any case, I put them on Rosalind (so cute!) and pressed a button the side. I think she’d been a bit confused, but she understood when I turned them on.

“How’s that, rookie? I wouldn’t advise wearing them in sunlight—they’d probably blind you—but they’re good for stuff like this.”

Rosalind nodded. “Thank you, sir. I’ll be as quick as I can, sir.” She paused and reached into one of her pockets, handing me a lightning materia. “Here, sir. Just so you aren’t unarmed.”

“Hey, thanks! That’s thinking, rookie. Good on ya. Get going, though. I don’t wanna be alone too long.”

She nodded again. “Yes, sir. Be careful, sir.”

“Right, rookie. You watch yourself, all right?”

“Of course, sir.” And then she left. Things felt kinda lonely without her, but it wouldn’t be for long. I just hoped she wouldn’t run into any trouble in the hallways.

A few minutes of silence passed, during which the President cleared his throat and shuffled his notes awkwardly. It wasn’t very bright in the room and every once in a while the light would flicker a little.

And then all of a sudden, light flooded the room. “Well!” an unfamiliar voice called from the doorway. I turned around and saw a man in the same light colored fatigues Shears had worn, but smaller and thinner in build. He wore glasses and had mid-length brown hair, combed back neatly. I thought he looked like a bit of a weenie nerd. “I hadn’t expected the power back on so soon, but no matter. At least we managed to stop the President from delivering his…heartwarming speech.”

“Avalanche,” I said shortly, addressing him. I hate the knowing way these people have of talking. Goddamned annoying. I motioned the President behind me and backed towards the corner.

He smiled at me. “Yes. I am Fuhito. I’m glad our name seems to be taking its place in the ranks of your vocabulary.”

This guy obviously has some sort of problem with rhetoric. “Right. Well. I don’t know what the hell you want, but piss off.”

Fuhito laughed. “Oh, please. There’s no cause for discourtesy. I don’t believe we’ve been formerly introduced. You’re Reno, correct?”

It dawned on me that he knew I wasn’t directly armed. Damned bastard was toying with me. Fine, then. The both of us could play that game. I was the one who needed to vie for time anyway. “Yeah, that’s me. I’ve met a friend of yours, I think. Shears?”

“Mmm hmm. Yes. He mentioned you. He said you weren’t to be counted as much more than a minor irritation.”

I laughed at that. “That’s funny, I said the same of him. Aren’t mutual friends delightful? Have you seen him lately? When I left him, he was rather busy bleeding to death in an alley. I was wondering how that’d gone for him.”

Fuhito’s supposed good-humor slipped slightly and his expression darkened. “We are wary of your bluffing, Turk,” he said coldly, but I could tell he wasn’t quite sure of what I’d said. His features smoothed suddenly. “Ah, but I haven’t the time to waste with such a trifling matter.”

“If my partner were dead in the streets, I’d hardly call it something ‘trifling,’ but, hey, that’s just me.”

Fuhito’s eyes narrowed. “Keep your lies to yourself, Turk,” he hissed again, reaching into his jacket and withdrawing a handgun. “Now, step aside. I have no quarrel with you. It is the President’s life I want.”

“Oh, now what sort of a bodyguard would I be if I just stood aside and let you shoot my boss?”

“A smart one,” Fuhito said icily, leveling the weapon at my chest. “Stand down, Turk.”

“I’m afraid I can’t do that.” I’d backed into the corner for a reason. The Junon branch office has a number of secret passageways, leading out of the main edifice and into other surrounding buildings. One of these convenient passages was located behind the paneling in the corner. I just had to get close enough to get out.

“Come now, Turk. It is against my principles to shoot an unarmed man,” he encouraged, a quirk of a smile twitching at the corner of his mouth. Principles, hell. He knew I was armed. I knew I was armed. The only person I was fooling was the President. I had the lightning materia Rosalind had given me, and a handgun of my own inside my jacket. If I went for either, though, he’d shoot me. And I preferred that he refrain from doing that.

I folded my arms across my chest. “What’s your beef with Shinra anyway, Avalanche? It’s not weapons, it’s not war…so what’s your problem?”

Fuhito gritted his teeth. “I can hardly expect someone of your obviously diminished cranial capacity to understand.”

“Translation, ‘We don’t actually have a good reason, but I can’t very well let you know that, dumbass.’ Am I right?” I grinned at him. “C’mon, give me a bit of credit. Your PR kinda sucks. I mean—you’re terrorists. The public doesn’t exactly rally to the cause of people who blow things up.”

“Oh, they will,” Fuhito said grimly. “They’ll have no choice.”

I shrugged. All the while I’d been slowly maneuvering towards the wall. “Really, now, Fuhito. There are millions of people in this world. They’ve got more sense than that. Blowing up buildings is bad. Plain and simple. If I were you, I’d have considered a more moderate method of expressing myself.”

His eyes flashed and he cocked the gun in his hand. “You’re trying my patience, Turk,” he snapped. “I do hesitate to shoot an unarmed man, but I might be persuaded to make an exception in your case.”

I stuck my tongue out at him. Not necessarily the best idea, I know, but it’s part of the attitude. “I suppose you think the President is toting an AK-47 then?”

“Hey!” Rosalind shouted from the doorway, her handgun pointed right at Fuhito.

“Nice timing, rookie!” That was all I needed. Fuhito spun around to face Rosalind and I slammed a fist against the wall behind me. A panel swung open and I kicked at the President, who was cowering behind me, to get him to movie. “I’ll catch you around! Later, Fuhito!”

I ducked into the passage and pulled the door shut behind me. It was dark and the ceilings were low, but at least it was an escape. “Get moving, sir,” I told the President, ushering him along the passage. If I remembered correctly, this one came out in the lobby of a hotel a few buildings over. The President had reservations there, for immediately after his speech, so we’d have a video link back to Veld. He should probably be informed of the very close call we’d had.

In addition to being cramped and dark, it was also chilly and dank. Thoroughly unpleasant, but again, better than the alternative. It sloped downward at first, the leveled off. We continued in silence for a few minutes, until the ground started to slope up again. I pushed past the President and felt along the wall until I came to the end of the passage. Briefly, I regretted having given my glasses to Rosalind, but I managed to find the latch on the inside of the door and push it open.

I’d been right, it opened into the brightly lit lobby of a hotel down the street. The man behind the front desk started at the sight of two people walking out of his wall, but recovered quickly. “Mr. President! We weren’t expecting you to…to show up so early, sir!”

“Well, something came up,” the President snapped, pushing past me and straightening the lapels of his decidedly grubby suit. “Where’s my room? I want this suit dry cleaned. And for god’s sake, someone draw me a hot bath!”

Of course, now that there wasn’t an assassin around, he was back to his old crabby self. I kinda like him better when he’s terrified and dependant on me for survival. A bellboy was immediately dispatched to bring the President up to his room, and I trailed along after him, feeling decidedly naked without my nightstick. I’d left it lying in the pressroom. I’d have to head back and get it as soon as possible.

The President’s room was a little less opulent than the one at the Crowley, but it was nice enough. I wouldn’t have minded it for myself. It had the same TV set up and the President immediately went over and activated it. “Veld!” he barked at the screen.

However, it wasn’t Veld who appeared on the screen. It was the President’s son, Rufus. I don’t like Rufus. He’s a smarmy, arrogant bastard, who seems to have gotten a double sharing of his father’s bad tendencies from the gene pool. Except he covers it up with a thick, oozing layer of charm.

“Hello, Father,” he greeted the President in a bored tone. “Seems you’re having a bit of trouble over there.”

“Rufus. Where’s Commander Veld?”

Rufus shrugged. “I don’t know. He went somewhere. There seems to be some sort of crisis underway. I don’t know. Excuse me a moment, Father. Turk?” he said, and the camera whirred to address me.

“Sir?” I also hate calling the weenie shrimp “sir.”

“I’ve been watching the camera feed from over there. Who’s the blonde agent? I haven’t seen her before.”

I didn’t like his tone, but I couldn’t very well tell him to shove it. “Her name’s Rosalind, sir. She started yesterday. I’m in charge of her.”

“Rosalind,” he repeated thoughtfully. “Hmm. Yes. I’ll keep her name in mind. Convey to her that I find her impressive.”

“Yes, sir.”

Rufus wandered away from the video terminal and Veld appeared. “Mr. President!” The Commander looked slightly stressed. “We have a situation, Mr. President,” he said gravely. “Avalanche have seized the Mako Cannon.”

“Shit!” That was about all I could manage. The fact that Avalanche had the Mako Cannon was a very, very bad thing. It’s the single most formidable piece of weaponry on the Planet, capable of leveling entire cities in one shot. There was no doubt they’d be pointing it at Midgar. And the very thought made me sick.

The President turned purple again. “Move the security system to S class, immediately!”

Veld nodded. “Already done, sir. The entire military is mobilizing. The insurgents are flooding the city. Their numbers appear much, much greater than we had originally anticipated.”

“Fix this, Veld,” the President growled. “If they think they can threaten my cities…those fools! Show them the true strength of Shinra!”

“Yes, sir. Don’t worry, sir. Reno, stay with the President.”

“Yes, sir,” I answered automatically as the TV flicked off.

The President whirled around to face me. “Get to the Mako Cannon, immediately!” he ordered, pointing to the door.

“But sir, I…” That was definitely against company charter. You don’t leave your ward when you’re body guarding, especially not if you’re guarding the President.

“Now, agent!” he snarled. “Recover the Mako Cannon, at all costs!”

“Sir, Commander Veld said…”

“I don’t care what Veld said!” he screamed at me. “They’re going to destroy Midgar! Don’t you understand this? Now go!”

Well, I couldn’t very well say no to that. It was a direct order from the President. And besides, it was Midgar. “Yes, sir!” I left the hotel room and headed out of the hotel. I turned to the Mako Cannon and started towards it, when I remembered I’d left my nightstick at the branch office. I turned around and ran back down the street and up the stairs into the building. There wasn’t much sense in my going off half-cocked without a weapon.

It was empty and quiet, and that unnerved me. For some reason, I guess I’d expected people. I heard a TV blaring down the hallway in the pressroom and I proceeded carefully. I didn’t like this. It didn’t feel right. And I was suddenly worried about Rosalind. I’d left her alone under the assumption she could handle Fuhito. I didn’t really want to think about what would’ve happened if she couldn’t have.

I felt extremely nervous as I got close to the pressroom door. “Rookie?” I called hesitantly, looking inside.

Rosalind was curled up in the middle of the room, crying softly to herself. If she hadn’t been crying I would’ve thought she was dead. Even so, she scared the hell out of me. “Jesus Christ, rookie!” I hurried across the room and crouched down next to her. “Damn it, I can’t leave you alone, can I? What happened?”

She started crying harder. Just broke down and sobbed. “O-oh, sir…” she stammered weakly, tears streaking her cheeks.

“Aww, rookie…” I scooped her up off the floor (she’s really a tiny little thing) and hugged her. I couldn’t really think of much else to do at the time. “Are you hurt?” I asked.

Rosalind coughed and hiccupped a bit and managed to stammer something semi-intelligible.

“What? Hey…easy, rookie, come on. Calm down. What’s wrong?”

“I can’t move!” she cried, pressing her face against my jacket. “H-he shot me with…with some ray gun and…and I can’t m-move!”

She was panicking. And panic in this kind of situation is a notoriously bad thing. I knew what this was. There’d been a memo. It was a new kind of weapon, which works by disrupting signals in the nervous system. Or something. It was nothing a Cure materia wouldn’t fix. “Calm down, rookie, calm down. It’s okay. It’s not permanent. I’m sure it feels scary, but it’s not serious. I’ve heard about this, all right? I can fix it.”

Rosalind nodded vigorously and hiccupped. “Please, sir.”

“Sure, rookie. Just hang on.” I removed a piece of materia from my pocket and concentrated on it. It glowed warmly in response and I rubbed a hand over her back. She shivered as it started to work, and then stirred weakly. Flexing her fingers and stretching her arms, she pushed herself up and started to stand, slowly.

“Whoa, easy now.” I helped her up and put an arm around her waist. She was still shaking and she kept a tight hold of my shoulder as I helped her over to the couch.

She sat down and sighed heavily, wiping at her eyes. “Th-thank you, sir,” she managed to whisper, sniffling. Wincing slightly, she moved her hand to her side.

“Any time, rookie.” I caught her wrist and pulled her fingers away gently. “Hey, we’ll call it even, all right?”

“E-even?”

“Sector 8, remember? I told you I’d owe you. We’re square now.” I prodded her side gently, finding a small caliber bullet hole in her jacket. “Aww, honey, did that bastard shoot you?” She was wearing a bulletproof vest, and the bullet hadn’t penetrated, but still, it must’ve stung like hell.

Rosalind nodded and her eyes filled with tears again. Her lower lip trembled and her breath caught a little.

“It’s all right, rookie,” I said quickly. “You’re all right. The Kevlar caught it. Here, you want me to get the bullet out?” I carefully applied pressure to either side of the slug and it popped out easily. She probably didn’t want it at the moment, however, so I tucked it in my pocket for safekeeping.

She shook her head and tried to stifle a sob. “It’s n-not that…”

“Oh…” I didn’t really know what to say. I didn’t want her to cry. I really, really didn’t want her to cry. It lights up a person’s day when she smiles, but it breaks your heart when she cries. “Well…”

“Sir, he nearly killed me! He didn’t have any trouble with me at all! He…he would’ve killed me, if he hadn’t wanted me to see…to see some kind of fireworks show! I didn’t understand…and he j-just left me here to die…all alone…all b-by m-myself a-and…I could’ve b-been here for days before…before anyone even…” Her voice broke. “O-oh, sir…” she trailed off and started crying again. It wasn’t the whimpering and sniffling she’d been doing at the beginning or hysterical sobbing because she was frightened. She was just crying. And she sounded so weak and helpless that I felt absolutely sick.

“Rookie…hey, rookie. C’mon. Don’t cry. That wouldn’t have happened. Never, rookie. D’you understand? I wouldn’t ever leave you alone like that. Not ever. I’m responsible for you, right? You’re my recruit and I’ll be damned if I’m gonna let anything happen to you. That’s a promise, all right?” I pulled her close and gave her a hug. Sometimes, people just need hugs. “Now, c’mon. Don’t cry.”

Rosalind pressed her face against my shoulder, coughed and sniffled a bit. “Thank you, sir,” she sighed, starting to calm down. “I just…I don’t understand. Why would he do something so terrible to me? I…I was just doing my job. I thought we were the good guys…”

I sighed. She’s very good at asking tough questions. I pushed her back a bit and met her eyes. They were big, green, and liquid, and kind of frightened. “I don’t know, rookie. I honestly don’t. I wish I did, though I guess it wouldn’t really help. But…you have to understand––even though it’s a hard thing to get past—these people hate us. I don’t know why. We’re human, just like they are. We get up every morning and go about our business, we have friends, families. We put our pants on one leg at a time and all that kinda stuff…but they don’t get that. For some reason, they think it’s okay to do awful things like this. You just have to accept it. I know it’s hard, but you can’t let it bring you down. You got that, rookie?”

“Yes, sir.” She sniffed again and wiped her eyes, clearing her throat and lifting her chin. “I’m going to kill Fuhito,” she announced firmly, a definite gleam in her eyes.

“Good for you, rookie!” I told her, grinning and laughing. “That’s beautiful, Rosalind. Damned if we’re gonna let these bastards win. You get Fuhito, I’ll handle Shears. Hell, you mind if we double-team him? Shit, rookie, I’m damn pissed at this guy. No way he lays a hand on you and gets away with it. To hell with Gongaga Accord. I’ll break every bone in his goddamned body!”

Rosalind laughed and smiled. “I’d like that, sir. That would make me feel much better.”

“I’ll be glad to do it, then.” I shut up for a few minutes and gave her some time to collect herself. I went over to retrieve my nightstick, swapped the power cell out for a fresh one, and got a call on my PHS.

“Reno?” It was Tseng. “Where are you?”

“I’m at the branch office, with Rosalind. That Fuhito guy shot her!”

“Is she all right?” Tseng questioned, sounding concerned. “Do you want me to send in medical?”

I shook my head and glanced at Rosalind. “Nah…nah, she’s all right. Just a little shook up, is all. I’m some pissed about the whole deal. Lemme get my hands on that guy, I’ll tear him a new…”

“Reno,” Tseng interrupted. “Your indignation is admirable, but we do have a situation to be concerned about here. Does she know about the Mako Cannon?”

“I haven’t told her, no.”

“Do. She’ll be going to disarm it.”

“No!” I didn’t like that idea. The poor kid had just been shot; there was no way I was letting her go solo again so soon after something like that. “I’ll do that. She can stay where she is.”

Tseng sighed. “We need every available operative on this. If you go, she’ll be working topside. Do you want that?”

“Topside? Against all the terrorists and stuff? Aww hell, Tseng…”

“It’s your prerogative. She’s your recruit. If you don’t think she can handle the Mako Tunnels…”

“I don’t think she should be handling either right now,” I told him firmly.

“Reno, you can’t coddle her. She’s a Turk, just like you, and she can take a hell of a lot. She’s should be able to, at least. If you really don’t think she’s up to it…emotionally, I mean…then we’ll have to look into giving her a psyche analysis when she gets back to HQ. Give her a few minutes to get herself composed…”

“She’s composed,” I said hastily. Rosalind did not need a psyche analysis. I’ve had those and they aren’t fun. “She’s fine. It’s just I didn’t…” I didn’t what? I didn’t really have a good way to finish that, is what. What was I supposed to say? I didn’t want to have to feel responsible if something happened. I didn’t want her to get hurt. I didn’t want to leave her alone again.

“Well, then tell her what to do. Either she’s topside, or she’s in the tunnels. Which is it?”

I sighed. “The tunnels,” I muttered sullenly. This wasn’t fair. It was too much to ask her to do, after something as stressful as getting shot.

“Good. Inform her of the situation and move out. If you’re going to be working topside, then I want you to head to the southern part of town and help hold against the terrorists. They’ve got all of Upper Junon up in arms and we need to push them back ASAP.”

“Roger that.” I snapped my PHS closed and returned it to my pocket. “You feel better, rookie?” I asked, going back over to where Rosalind was sitting. She’d calmed down quite a bit, and even looked a bit embarrassed about the whole episode.

“Much better, sir.” She sniffled again and coughed, blushing. “I cry entirely too much, don’t I, sir?” she asked sheepishly. “I’ll try and stop when you tell me to next time, sir.”

“Ah, no.” I shook my head. “No, rookie, I don’t think so. Don’t you listen to me, when I tell you not to. That’s just selfishness on my part. I hate seeing people sad. You gotta cry, then you go right on ahead. I believe that if it’s something you can’t help, then it’s part of who you are. And I’ve got no right to try and take control of that. So, if you feel like you’ve got to, you cry.” Whew. Getting a little deep, there. I cleared my throat. “Besides, if you don’t let these things out, or they rip you up inside. So it’s healthy for you. Anyway, you’re one of the few people who can still look pretty while crying.”

Rosalind blushed harder. “I don’t suppose you have a mirror, sir?”

“Even if I did, you wouldn’t want one. I think you look fine, rookie, but I don’t think girls ever feel pretty after crying. I think you probably look better than most, though.”

“Oh.”

I hesitated and stood up. “You…you do feel better, right?”

She got to her feet and nodded, stretching. “Yes, sir. Thanks again, sir.”

“You’re…welcome. Yeah. Uh…hold up, rookie. I kinda have some bad news…”

“Sir?” She tilted her head to the side and looked at me curiously. Then she got suspicious. “What, sir?” she pressed warily.

“Er…well. It’s…umm. That is…” I hadn’t quite expected that breaking this to her would be so difficult. “Hmm. We’ll start with some good news, how ‘bout? The President’s son…Rufus…he was watching you work, earlier, and he thinks you really have talent!” That wasn’t entirely true. Rufus interest was probably founded on reasons very similar to his father’s, but Rosalind didn’t need to know that.

“I’m glad to hear it. What’s the bad news?”

“Uh. Well…”

“Spit it out, sir,” Rosalind demanded.

I shrugged. “I’m sorry, rookie, it’s just that it’s really bad news and I’m not quite sure how to break it to you.”

“Just say it, sir. I’m a Turk. I can take it.”

Plucky little thing, I’ll give her that. “Well. It seems that Avalanche have gotten their hands on the Junon Cannon, and they’re pointing it at Midgar, and the security systems been moved up to S level, and the entire military is mobilizing because there are terrorists flooding the city, and Tseng says this is a big damn deal so we’d better get our asses in gear perpendicular.”

Rosalind blinked at me, took a few moments to digest this information, and sighed. “You weren’t kidding about it being really bad, were you sir?” she asked wryly.

“Sorry, rookie. It’s the job,” I apologized. “Listen, if you aren’t up to it…”

She shook her head and drew her gun from the holster at her side, taking a clip of ammo and reloading it. “I pretty well have to be, don’t I? I suppose we’d best move out, sir.”

Huh. So Tseng was right. She’d be just fine. “All right, rookie. Let’s move it out.”