THE CRAVE GAMING CHANNEL
V'lanna
 

indent "Where are we going?" Vincent asked Lucrezia, as he followed behind the trio of scientists as they hiked up the mountains. It was a sunny day, chilly with the promise of spring, and the sky spread like blue dye before him, clouds sparkling across the expanse of the ocean of color.
indent Lucrezia pursed her lips a little in thought; shading her eyes with a hand, she pointed off to a direction of craggy mountaintops, forming almost a spirelike castle. "Over there," she gestured. "That's where the mako reactor is. Gast found something a few days ago and wanted us to see."
indent "What?" he asked, and the woman shrugged, tossing her hair aside to climb across another rock. There had been a path hewn to the mako reactor, she explained, but so few people were expected to visit that the path was nothing more then a thin line of treacherous rocks. So they climbed and panted, crossed rickety bridge after another, onto something that was called a path toward the mountainous reactor.
indent "I don't know; Gast was too excited to tell us very much," she said. Her eyes sparkled happily, and she threw a grin in Vincent's direction. "But I bet it's going to be something good!" She hiked across another rock, and hurriedly followed after Gast and Hojo, who had gone a little ahead of her. "Hurry up!"
indent He followed her, cursing a little at the makers of the path; it wasn't a path, it was a damned deathtrap. Even now he clung fiercely to the rope that was tied so helpfully onto the nails driven into the rock; if he slipped even a little on the tiny pebbles, it would mean a hundred foot drop at the height they were at. And drops would just get larger as they continued upward. Lucrezia climbed up the path with the agility of a mountain goat; she had no problem with facing the thought of dropping into the murky, fog-misted ground below. It took a better part of the day to reach halfway to the reactor; they all camped over on a ledge that Gast deemed to be relatively safe from predators and other assorted dangers; sheltered from rain, it was also carved at an angle that made for easy watching; there was really only one way predators could attack them. Taking the entire night watch-Vincent had enough of the no-doz pills to last him for a month with him-he settled down, leaning on the rocky outcrop of the ledge and held his gun loosely in his hand, bullets safe in his pocket and blanket draped carelessly over him. Resting his head on the wall, he thought about things. About President Shinra. About Lucrezia. About Hojo. About his entire damned life.
indent Sometime in the night, a noise alerted him out of half-dream he was in-he wasn't asleep, but neither was he really awake, despite the three pills he popped-and, tightening his hold on his gun, relaxed when he saw Lucrezia crawl out of her blankets, shivering, to sit beside him. He did not ask why she was awake, and moved over to let her sit comfortably, watching her drag her blankets away from her sleeping space to wrap around herself.
indent "Aren't you tired?" she asked, sleepily, and he shook his head. "I wonder why," she murmured, leaning against back on the wall. "But I'm not tired, now, either."
indent She spoke in a quiet voice, and Vincent answered likewise. "Maybe because we're in the mountains, not in the mansion," he answered quietly.
indent "Maybe," Lucrezia said. She sighed, a soft sound. "I wish we got this over with," she said. "I don't know about you, but the reactor here gives me the creeps. I don't know how Gast can hike up all the way here alone without going crazy." She gestured beneath the covers to the rest of the mountains, slowly encroached by creeping tendrils of fog. Even now, the ledge was being shadowed by a fine mist that hid everything in sight. She shivered again. "And it's cold here. Colder then down in Nibelheim." She fell silent, staring off into the fog, her face almost thoughtful.
indent Vincent did not answer; he had nothing to say. Something in his heart wrenched painfully at the sight of her uneasy face, but he still didn't know what it was. There was a gaping emptiness sitting between his heart and stomach; it was still there, but this time, it hurt. He gasped a little, at the sudden pain, but turned his face away so that the woman did not see. He would not show her-anything, any weakness of his-because it was·because-
indent He wasn't sure, because he wasn't sure what was happening to him anymore.

indent "What is this!?" Hojo said with astonishment, stunned for the first time in his life. "Gast, don't tell me-it can't possibly be, but it's impossible, of course, but-" Hojo, for possibly the first time in his life, was babbling. "Gast, tell me what it is!" he finally spluttered, staring at the creature caged in the giant glass case. The glass glittered, slick as the metal of Midgar, and was lit with a soft glow. They all stared; it seemed to be of a woman·.only partially human.
indent Vincent tore his eyes away from the creature to look at the others. Hojo was shocked; Lucrezia surprised and delighted, and Gast proud and prepared with a scientific explanation. His eyes drifted back to the creature and he felt caught in its spell again. The woman was created with exquisite perfection in mind; her face was flawless, her lips curved upward as if she had one last, reassuring thought before she was buried beneath the tons of ice.
indent "I put it in there," Gast admitted self-deprecatingly. "It would have spoiled after I dug it out of the ice caves beneath the reactor." "Gast," Lucrezia breathed, "is that-is it·?"
indent "An Ancient," Gast affirmed proudly. "At least I think it is." He pushed his glasses up his nose and looked self-satisfied. Lucrezia's hands were pressed on the glass case, her glasses reflecting the soft light that stood above the encased creature. "And it's preserved so amazingly well," she said with awe. "It really is·?"
indent Hojo, it seemed, had gotten over his initial astonishment and turned to Gast, "Where did you get it?" he demanded. "I told you; beneath the reactor. The Nibelheim mountains reeks of Ancient as much as mako, Hojo; I knew that there was something interesting to be found, maybe a city. But an entire preserved Ancient--!" Gast was beaming with utter delight. "But I thought the Ancients left," Lucrezia said, turning to look at him before looking back at the exquisite creature again. "They were supposed to be travelers, weren't they?"
indent "They were," Gast agreed, "but some of them stayed behind. I think-mind you, it's only a theory, and no way of proving it-but I think this was the Jenova that the Ancients referred to in their books."
indent "Jenova?" Vincent inquired, finally joining in on the conversation. He stared at the creature in the glass case; it looked like a woman to him. An amazingly well preserved woman, as Lucrezia mentioned, but a woman nonetheless. That is, if he looked at her face and upper body. Lower body was--something. He didn't really want to think about it. Was it even part of the creature? Was it really human? He looked at the peaceful face, the closed eyes, and suppressed a shiver. He didn't like it, nor trusted it.
indent "Jenova was an Ancient," Gast said. "At least, that's what the Ancients implied, but I have no way of knowing, because most of the knowledge of the Ancients were lost. But I think that she was an Ancient that decided to stay behind, along with other Ancients, while the others moved on, as they usually did."
indent "She's beautiful," Lucrezia breathed, her eyes bright. "This really is wonderful, Gast," she said.
indent "Yes," Hojo said absently, staring at the creature, at Jenova, with an odd expression on his face. "It is."

indent Vincent lay on the bed, staring up at the ceiling, in the darkness, waiting for the familiar insistent beep by his ear, from thousands of miles away, and waited for Shinra's heavy, alcohol-stained voice speak to him with a voice of gravel stirred in cigar ash. The president called him every night, questioned him closely on every single activity that the scientists performed, and hung up on him every night, unsatisfied. Vincent knew that the president was seeking something, but what, Vincent did not know. Maybe the other scientists knew, but somehow Vincent doubted that. Lucrezia would not have known, nor the innocent Gast. But Hojo-
indent

Ah, but Hojo is a scientist to the core, and a jealous one at that,

Vincent thought. What Hojo did was only for his own purposes; he neither cared for the people involved nor of the many repercussions an act could cause. All he cared was the results.
indent The light on the ceiling shifted gradually across the room, the shadows growing longer as the moon moved its path across the heaven, a sphere in the sky that lighted everything below in its eerie, washed-out glow. He could hear the insistent sound of typing that echoed throughout the house; there was always at least one scientist awake and working while the others slept. And from silence and time of night, Vincent guessed it was either Gast or Hojo. He knew that Lucrezia would be asleep; she was more of a morning person, and worked best in the early mornings when others would have been groggy or sound asleep. Peace and quiet, she called it. He called it being wise.
indent The phone rang its insistent beep; despite the fact he was waiting, expecting the call, it still did not stop him from jumping a little, startled from the grating noise. He hurriedly opened the phone up and said, "Hello?"
indent "Turk," the harsh gravel voice answered. After that first meeting in the expansive, expensive offices in the Shinra building, the president never longer called him by his first name, but instead, 'Turk.' It was his title, his job, his duty, and Shinra knew it very well. "What is everyone doing now?" There was impatience in his voice, almost as if he knew the results even before they happened.
indent Vincent recited back the days events in a monotonous tone, remembering every detail and telling him. "Professor Gast discovered a body a few days ago beneath the Nibelheim Reactor. He believes that it is an Ancient, Jenova by name. They took it back to the mansion for further study. For now, Professor Lucrezia is observing the genetic material, while Professor Hojo returns to the reactor again and again for some purpose that I don't know of."
indent "Find out," Shinra snapped. "I need to know exactly what everyone is doing."
indent Vincent nodded, then realized that the president could not see his movements. "Fine, then," he said curtly.
indent "Good," the president said, and hung up without saying good-bye, something that Vincent had grown used to expect. He sighed a little, and closed the phone, dropping it onto the desk beside him and resting his arm over his eyes. He lay still for a moment, thinking about the reactor, about Jenova. About Lucrezia.
indent Damn it, why was he always thinking about her? And why did he always remember that night in the sewers of Midgar when the girl had died?
indent Am I obsessed?

© 1998-2017 RPGamer All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy