THE CRAVE GAMING CHANNEL
V'lanna
 

indent Nibelheim was a small town, with only a couple of stores and a few cozy houses to make it a town. With an odd, crooked waterclock in the center of the town, and children running around, shrieking with laughter, and with an old, musty smell of quietness, the town would have been considered a provincial backwater village if it hadn't been for the reactor nearby.
indent The reactor was brand-new, built by President Shinra only two years ago. Located high up in the mountains, it drew mako from the earth, and channeled it for use by the town. From what Vincent saw of the town, they had only just begun developing technology that utilized the mako; some of the houses still even had the old stoves and candles to light the room. Very unlike Midgar, with glaring, harsh white lights illuminating the entire city.
indent There was a mansion, as President Shinra promised. Bought and built by President Shinra, it was easily the largest building in town, and the most updated in terms of technology. It was, Vincent noted, built in the latest fashion; like the grand mansions and castles of the past, it had a soaring hallway, with curving stairways and elegant rooms and huge stained glass windows to flood the place with light. There was even a huge room that was expressly meant to be a library, with shelves all over the place, located ostensibly in the basement to protect the books from humidity and rapid aging.
indent Lucrezia had loved the place on sight; she had loved the expansive space, she loved the bedrooms, she loved everything about it. In fact, she loved the town itself, saying it was beautiful. Vincent didn't understand her; how could anything so provincially backward be beautiful? It was impossible; there was nothing in the town that was interesting, or useful, except possibly the mako reactor nearby. But she loved it, and Vincent guessed it maybe had to do with how she grew up.
indent "What a dump," Hojo remarked scornfully as he hiked up the hewn stone stairway, looking at the mansion. "I hope President Shinra gave us adequate supplies. I'd hate to do research in something like that." He gestured at the brand-new building, at the freshly painted metal spikes that made the gate to the house. "Why couldn't we do it in Midgar?" His tone was sour.
indent "There wasn't enough room, and you know it," Dr. Gast said quietly, coming up behind Hojo. "And besides, there wasn't an appropriate amount of mako that was enough for our research except here."
indent "No wonder," Hojo grumbled. "I wonder if the people even know if it's there."
indent "I doubt it," Dr. Gast replied. "Things take time, you know."
indent "Especially here," Hojo muttered as he opened the gate.
indent "Vincent, don't you think this place is beautiful?" Lucrezia asked, when they entered the main hallway. Vincent opened his mouth to reply.
indent "Vincent, don't you think this place is beautiful?" Hojo mimicked, nastily. "Lucrezia, get a life! This place is nothing like the research facilities that were in Midgar. I don't think Shinra even knows that-"
indent What President Shinra did not know was never answered, as Vincent flicked on a switch and light flooded the room, the same harsh light as Midgar. It illuminated a research area that was as good, or possibly even better then those in Midgar, with computers, a fully-stocked laboratory, and a carefully compiled list of all the materials on site in the house. Hojo took one look at the list and snapped his mouth shut, silent, while Lucrezia giggled at Hojo's stunned look. Her heels clicked on the green and white-tiled floor, as she took a step forward and took the list out of Hojo's hand.
indent "It's just as good, Hojo," she said, scanning the list. "We've got everything we need, and Shinra promises to send more if we need it. That's fine by me. I don't know why you liked the Midgar facilities, anyway-it was just too small, and such a cramped space to work in! Only one floor for research, too-while we now have an entire house and a mako reactor to work with!" She smiled, and turned to Vincent. "You didn't answer my question, though. Don't you think this place is beautiful?"
indent "I guess," Vincent said, shrugging. "Not much to do here, though."
indent Hojo's amazement wearing off, he turned to look at Vincent, glaring fiercely at him with narrowed eyes. "And you, Turk. There really is no purpose for you left here, and I certainly don't need you. So why not just run home to Shinra and do something else?" Vincent stiffened, and involuntarily touched the gun that was at his side. "I'm sorry, Hojo," he said coldly, "if I offend you, but I've been ordered by Shinra himself to stay with you during your research period."
indent "Nothing more then a lackey, I suppose," Hojo sneered, and turned away.
indent "Well, so are you," Vincent replied, his tone biting. Hojo turned back, his eyes filled with fury.
indent "Stop it!" Lucrezia snapped, glaring at both of them. "Both of you. Hojo, you had no right to say what you did-we're supposed to do research, not squabble like a bunch of kids. And Vincent, don't provoke him-we've got enough problems as it is. Understood?" At their sullen nods, she gave a short nod, satisfied. "Good." Stepping forward in the room, she dropped her bags and sighed. "This really is a nice place. Where are the bedrooms? I'd like to put my stuff away."
indent "Probably upstairs," Dr. Gast said mildly. "That's where I saw them, anyway." His bag, considerably lighter then Lucrezia's and heavier then Hojo's, was settled firmly to his side. Most of it, Vincent knew, was in the form of cameras and observation journals, but there were occasionally some surprises that the quiet man brought.
indent "That's where I'm going," Lucrezia declared, hefting her bag. "If there's anything I want right now, it's a bath." She climbed up the stairs and disappeared in the left wing, the sound of her steps fading away as they met something softer like carpet. Hojo snorted at her declaration, and marched away into the house, his footsteps also disappearing.
indent Professor Gast smiled apologetically to Vincent, shrugged, and left, leaving Vincent alone in the great hall. Looking around for a moment, at the green and white tiles, he leaned against the wall to think.

indent He received a call from President Shinra hours later. On the verge of sleep, the insistent beeping of the phone roused him into wakefulness, and forced him to fumble for the phone. He opened it, and sleepily mumbled, "Hello?"
indent "Turk." It was the gravelly, harsh, smoke-stained voice that he remembered very well. Vincent shot up out of bed, wide awake and breathing hard, as if he had run for a very long time.
indent "President Shinra," Vincent said, shocked. "I·didn't expect you to call." He wondered if something went wrong, or if he had forgotten someone, or if there were dire news.
indent "Turk, has the plane arrived safely?" No greeting, no pleasant conversation, but instead, straight to the point, punctuated by harsh coughing. "Are they there?"
indent "Yes, sir." He did not say anymore, but waited expectantly.
indent "Good. You are to stay with them until I change your orders. In particular, I want you to report back to me on how their research is going along." There was a click, and Vincent held an empty phone, with no one on the other end.
indent After holding the phone to his ear for a few moments-the silence changing into an droning, insistent beep that grated on his nerves-he closed the phone with nerveless fingers, and returned to sleep.

indent He ran through the dark streets, the only light penetrating the darkness being the half-broken, flickering street lights. And they only punctured the darkness on the main street; in the alleys, he was nothing more then a shadow in deeper shadows.
indent His breaths tore at his lungs, white-hot and painful, as he ran, desperately, blindly, slipping on the slick, mud-covered streets. He skidded across a pile of garbage, but he continued running. It was worth his life not to run.
indent He could hear the enraged cries in the distance, hoarse voices that echoed down the alley and multiplied the number of enemies that he heard-so he ran faster. He didn't know what was real and what wasn't anymore.
indent There was a girl running beside him, a young fifteen year old girl. He didn't know her name, but he knew that she was as desperate as he. There was very little in the way of feeling when one lived in the streets of Midgar, except for desperation. If you weren't desperate, then you were hopeless. And being hopeless was equivalent of being dead. He, however, needed to protect the girl. It was his job, his duty; she was his sister. Not in blood, maybe, but anyone who helped you out was family, on the dark streets in Midgar. So he gave his misplaced loyalty to her.
indent She died at the first crack of shot; it was a lucky shot fired by some fool. But it pierced her lungs, and she fell, limply, like a rag doll, like a sack of wheat that was punctured by a needle. She bled, blood spilling from her wound and trickling out of her mouth.
indent At least that was what he knew; that was how people died, anyway, when they got shot in the lungs. He wouldn't know, though, the exact details on what happened-because he ran. Those who had pursued him before no longer followed him, but it was only hours later, with his life spilling out in ragged gasps, that he realized this. Maybe she would have survived, if he had stopped to help her. Maybe.
indent But he would never know, because he ran.
indent He woke up.

indent "Mako?" Lucrezia said, looking at him with puzzlement. She was stuffing herself with the rich foods that they had ordered in the tiny restaurant that doubled as an inn in the tiny town. "What do you want to know about mako?"
indent "Everything, that's all." Vincent folded his hands beneath his chin to watch the woman eat. From a closed heart and mind, he watched, with amusement, and a faint feeling of pleasure, at the vivacious woman who had taken direct charge of his social and private life. He wasn't particularly interested in mako-after all, he knew perfectly well its uses from personal experience-but rather, was interested in being allowed a moment to continue watching every single movement of the woman, like her hand movements, her expressive smiles, and her curling hair. How anyone could go through life so full of energy mystified and fascinated him.
indent The unruly hair had been tied up into a high ponytail, a method she resorted to often when hard at work, and looked particularly nice on her, her hair pulling away to reveal a pretty, attractive face. He wasn't sure, though whether or not it was her expressiveness that made her pretty or attractive or if it was just natural beauty, but suspected it to be the former.
indent "Well," she said, interrupting him out of his thoughts, "I don't know very much about mako, as it's not my specialty in research. However, Hojo could tell you more about it." She wrinkled her nose at the mention of his name, and Vincent laughed, underneath his breath, a little, at her expression.
indent There was, though, a little ripple within him, somewhere between his heart and stomach, of something that could almost be called worry. She always talks about him, he thought, a little troubled. She always says how smart he is. Is it professional admiration, or is it more? Though how it could be more was beyond him; it seemed so utterly implausible. Still, there was that nagging doubt, and he couldn't suppress it, however much he tried.
indent "Vincent?" she said, interrupting her conversation, to look at him worriedly. "Are you all right? You've looked out of it all afternoon."
indent Vincent straightened in his chair, shaking his head, the dark strands of his hair caressing his cheek. "No, no, it's all right. I'm listening to you."
indent "Maybe you're tired?" she suggested. "After all, we've only been here for a couple of weeks. Maybe you haven't adjusted to the time zone yet."
indent Or maybe, Vincent thought sourly, thinking about the president's constant phone calls in the middle of the night, the president hasn't adjusted. He gave her a half-hearted smile, an attempt to reassure her. "No, Lucrezia, I'm really all right. Continue your lecture."
indent She peered at him for a moment, adjusting her glasses-almost like an extension of her, they seemed to mirror her mood, a trick that he found fascinating-before smiling faintly. "All right, then. Well, like I said before, Hojo's specialty is mako and the manipulation of it. Mine is more in the realms of medicine and genetics. Professor Gast is very interested more in the history of Midgar-you know, like Ancients." "Are they even real?" Vincent asked, doubtfully. "They seem nothing more then fairy tales." His fork paused before the dish before him, to look up at her, frowning. "Professor Gast is a scientist, after all."
indent Her fork and knife stopped from cutting into the cooked meat, and she looked up, giving him another faint half-smile, a smile that stirred something in him, but what, he wasn't sure. "Oh, yes, I think Ancients are real. After all, if their skeletons can be found, what else can they be?"
indent "But Ancients look just like humans," Vincent replied, looking down to continue his meal.
indent "Not really," Lucrezia refuted. "Their bone structure is marginally different."
indent "But-" Vincent said, prompting her. She looked at him, puzzled. "I hear the 'but' in your voice," he said, teasing her.
indent She smiled, blushing a little, before continuing. "Well, yes, but Ancients probably look enough like human to be considered one. Professor Gast has a theory that we're probably descended from these beings, considering that we look so much like them, and that the changes we see in bone development is because of adaptations we've made due to climate over the millennia." "A sound theory," Vincent remarked, biting into his slice of steak.
indent "It is," Lucrezia agreed, setting her fork and knife down to pick up her cup of wine; it was the specialty of this town, and something she liked very much. "But do you agree with it?" she asked. He looked up at her swiftly, and she leaned back on the chair, sipping. "Just out of professional curiosity," she explained, at his strange look.
indent Vincent shrugged and looked down; cut into his food again for another bite. "I'm not a scientist; it's not really something I'm interested in. But frankly, to tell you the truth, I really don't believe in Ancients and all that, and neither do I see the reason of studying the past. You live in the present, after all." He looked up back at her, with a wry smile. "That's all."
indent "Oh." Lucrezia fell silent, playing with the wine glass in her hands, looking off into the distance at nothing at all. Vincent sat there, in silence as well, finishing his meal. Having finished, he set his fork and knife down as well, and signaled the waitress to come over to bring them ice cream, another specialty of the town; Vincent was chocolate, Lucrezia vanilla. The dishes cleared and the ice cream served, Lucrezia finally broke the silence.
indent "Vincent," she said in a soft voice, sounding strange and almost lost, "you know I trust you, right?" He nodded cautiously, wondering if she was leading to some point. She continued staring off into space for some moments before looking up and meeting his eyes; her blue eyes were very dark, almost black. "What do you think of Hojo?"
indent "Hojo?" Vincent stared at her with shock, her question being the very last thing he expected of her. "Why·.Hojo?"
indent He did not expect her reaction. She got up abruptly, ignoring the ice cream at the table, her eyes turned away. "It's nothing!" she snapped, a flush coming to her cheeks. "Nothing at all. Come on, Vincent, let's go. I'm not hungry anymore." He got up, not wanting to disturb her, and paid the waitress hurriedly before leaving. She did not even put on her coat, even though it was snowing outside, in thick, fat flakes; she walked toward the mansion, without speaking another word to him.