Book 2: Princess Alena's Adventure

PART 2: ALTERATION
by Christian A. Ciccone

[A] [P] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [E]

 

Chapter 14: Alena's Mourning

Brey bolted up from his bed gasping for air. His eyes were wide with fear and the cool night air did little to prevent his profuse sweating. Upon wakening, the old tutor winced as the numb pain in his shoulder wound was unrelenting. None of the healing the priest at this temple seemed to have helped much. Sure, little more than scars remained and when the priest cast his healing spells, most of the pain did disappear.

However, the pain had emerged again, just as before. Why should it do that, though? For all the scepticism Brey put on Zenithism, he could not refute their arcane practices. Their magic was worked just as well as his magic, so why did the pain in his shoulder persist?

Sighing, Brey lay back down on the bed. Deep down, he knew the reason; his pride was just too stubborn to accept it. He was afraid. Crested vipers continued to stalk him and tear apart his limbs in gratuitous and ravenous detail in his dreams. The pain of their teeth sinking into his flesh burned within his memories.

He could not go the rest of his life fearing the shadows surrounding him yielded one of the deadly serpents, ready to spring forth the moment he let his guard down. He was going to have to overcome this apprehension.

Brey closed his eyes, hoping to fall into a dreamless sleep. After a while, he realized it was futile. Although his mind insisted the vipers were not there, the old tutor could not help but fear the shadows were hiding them. He could see he was not going to get any sleep this night. Giving up, the old tutor got out of the bed and grabbed the new walking staff the priest had provided for him. Perhaps some fresh air would do him some good.

The old tutor made his way from the dormitory and entered the main hall of the temple. His stay here was temporary at best. The priest had not been overly keen on allowing Cristo and him to remain here. Without any apprentices or clerics to help him, the priest did not have the resources to accommodate two travellers, much less four once Alena and Timothy returned. No, they would undoubtedly end up at the Frenor's Finest Inn until they decided to leave the town.

As he entered the main hall, Brey noticed someone was sitting on one of the benches, his head buried in his hands and his shoulders lightly bobbing up and down. At first, the old tutor found it odd to find anyone up so late and at the temple. It did not take him long to realize it was Cristo, though. Probably repenting, he thought distastefully.

Still, although Brey had known Cristo sometimes repented late at night, he never knew the bodyguard to cry when asking forgiveness for his sins. On their journey back to Frenor, the old tutor had noticed a pained look in Cristo's eyes but he had merely dismissed it, as the entire group seemed to have a sombre mood about in general. Apparently his grief was deeper than Brey realized, but what could possibly be ailing the bodyguard to keep him awake this late?

Brey's curiosity began to eliminate his fear of crested vipers in dark shadows. Perhaps it would be a good idea to engage Cristo. Anything to take his mind off his own worries could only help the old tutor.

"Cristo?" he lightly called out, his voice echoing off the hollow, stone walls of the temple.

The bodyguard instantly bolted up, rubbing his eyes in an attempt to hide his tears. "Brey!" he said, startled. "What are you doing up so late?"

The old tutor smiled. Now that sounded like the old Cristo. Whatever was ailing the bodyguard seemed to have eliminated his pompous attitude.

"Funny," Brey said, hobbling over to sit on the same bench. "I was about to ask you the same thing but since you asked first, I guess I'll answer first. I had trouble sleeping; bad nightmares." He paused, looking coyly at the bodyguard. "Now your turn."

Cristo looked at him for a moment, unsure of what to say. Brey had never been able to understand his faith in Zenithism and his love for Master Dragon. Always the old tutor would attack his religion, find fault in it; even deny the Master's very existence. How could he help? Still, he felt the need to share his grief with someone, even though Brey was not the best candidate.

Bluntly, but mournfully, the bodyguard replied, "Master Dragon has utterly abandoned me." He looked away, ashamed to let Brey see his tears rim his eyes.

"What?" the old tutor said, his eyes wide with disbelief.

Cristo meekly nodded. "It's been happening ever since we were in the cave," he explained. "First to go was my magic. I could not even perform the simplest healing spell to save your life. I thought it was a sign of the Master's abandonment, denying me access to the magic of Zenithia. But Alena pointed out all my powers were not lost. I could still sense the evil presence of the vipers as we made our way back and the evil of orcs would still sting my mind if they drew close."

Cristo paused, taking in a shuddering, deep breath. "But now," he continued, "the Master has taken from me even this rare gift. Even when I brought you here, within the ambient goodness of this temple, their evil still tugged at me. But now, I can no longer feel their presence. This wondrous gift Master Dragon gave me is gone, along with the rest of my powers as punishment for my sins."

Brey rubbed his white whiskers for a moment. Cristo's story was indeed tragic, from a Zenithist standpoint anyway. Something did not quite make sense, though. Not once had the old tutor hear of a scenario where any cleric would completely loose their powers so quickly. Generally, once a Zenithist gained the ability to cast clerical magic, they would never loose it unless they ignored their studies for a few months, much in the same way as Brey's own magical practices.

A thought came to the old tutor's mind and he decided to put his suspicion to the test. "Cristo," he said, "why didn't you have the priest here heal your hand?"

The bodyguard frowned. "I've decided to let the wound remain," he replied forlornly, gingerly touching the burnt skin. "As a reminder of my failure."

"Heal it," Brey commanded emotionlessly.

Cristo looked at him, confused. "What?"

"You heard me," Brey said, crossing his arms. "I want to see just how your healing magic is ineffective."

The bodyguard stared at the old tutor for a moment. He was stunned Brey could exhibit such coldness when he was pouring his soul onto him. Still, if a demonstration was what it would take to convince the non-believer, so be it.

Cristo drew within his soul, calling forth the magical abilities he had so often used before. He silently prayed to Master Dragon, begging for forgiveness. He placed his hand over his burnt palm and chanted, "Heal!" He felt the powers within curse through his fingertips. He felt everything as before when he had attempted to heal the wound.

Only this time, a warm sensation washed over his open palm, taking in the white energy greedily as the scars turned from a blistered red to bright pink.

"How…?" was all Cristo was able to say as he stared dumbfounded at Brey.

"I'd say you've been forgiven," the old tutor smiled.

The bodyguard looked at his palm for long moments. "But…what of my other powers?" He looked back at Brey, his eyes pleading. "Why can I no longer feel the presence of the vipers?"

"Your evil-sensing powers are probably still there," he replied, standing up. He put a reassuring hand on the bodyguard's shoulder. "The vipers probably just gave up their chase. Even aggressive creatures like them wouldn't come close to a populated centre like Frenor."

A smile found its way onto Cristo's face, something that had been missing for a few days. "Thank you, Brey," he sincerely said.

The old tutor returned the smile to his friend. "You'd better get some rest," he said. "It's late as it is." Cristo nodded and made his way to the dormitory the priest had provided for him.

And thank you, Cristo, Brey thought, smiling as he watched the bodyguard leave. The fact Cristo no longer felt the presence of the vipers had lifted a crushing weight off the old tutor's chest. He could at least no longer fear the shadows. Perhaps he could even get some peaceful sleep tonight

As he made his way back to his dormitory, he heard the wooden doors of the temple's entrance creek open. Brey instinctively jumped out of surprise but regained his composure quickly enough. The dull light of a torch filtered into the temple, followed by a single figure. It took only a second for the old tutor to know who it was at the wooden doors.

"Alena," he said, breathing out a sigh of relief as his silly fear of serpents tricked him. "It's only you. How did the…" Brey's voice trailed off, the old tutor sucking in his breath as the torch she carried revealed her full form.

Blood streaked across the lower half of her face and stained her sleeves. Her eyes were sunken, ringed with deep, dark circles of despair. It seemed as though an impossible weight was attached to each ankle, making each step unbearably painful to take.

"By the Master!" the old tutor breathed. He hobbled over to her as fast as his aged legs could carry him. The princess collapsed into his arms as he reached her but her weight was more than he could bare and they ungracefully fell over. Brey managed to untangle them and prop Alena in front of him.

Face to face, Brey was able to get a good look at the princess. She had been crying, that much was evident. The salty stains of tears streaked across her bloody cheeks. Her sorrow was still apparent as she sniffled with shuddering sobs. What had caused this, though, Brey had no idea.

"Alena," he gently asked, caressing her lengthening matted hair. "What happened? Who did this to you?"

"Tim…" she murmured forlornly, her eyes fixed on nothing in particular. Only then did Brey notice the thief was missing.

"What about him?" the old tutor pressed further. "Did something happen to him? Where is he?"

Alena finally looked at her tutor, tears already rimming her pain-filled eyes. "He…he left me," she cried, her body heaving uncontrollably. "He left me for her! He…didn't…even… care…!" The princess fell forward, wrapping her arms around her stunned tutor as she wailed onto his shoulders.

Brey awkwardly put his arms around her, gently rubbing her back. Her outside scars were superficial. Alena's pain was from within, from a torn heart. No amount of curative magic even the mightiest bishop could cast would ease this torment.

The old tutor heard Cristo come out of his dormitory. "Brey!" the bodyguard called out. "Is everything all right? I heard… By the Master! What happened?"

Brey frowned. No sleep tonight, he thought mournfully.

* * *

The three travellers made their way down the misty, dark streets of Frenor, Cristo and Brey helping the doleful Alena make her steps. A chill, moist air made them shiver uncomfortably, even drawing the odd sneeze from the old tutor.

He would have much rather remained at the temple to help Alena through her misery. However, after they had cleaned the princess up, the priest forced them to leave, claiming he did not have the rooms to accommodate three people. Brey could tell the priest was lying but did not press the issue. He was far too tired to argue tonight.

With no co-operation from the grumpy priest, they were forced to vacate the temple's premises. Frenor's Finest Inn was not too far from the temple but navigating in the gloomy night was not an easy task, especially for foreigners. The travellers still eventually found their way, though.

Upon seeing the inn, Alena immediately said, "Quick! We still might be able to catch him. He still might be at the stables. Let go of me! I have to see him! Let go of me, damn it!"

"A…Alena," Brey said, trying his hardest to restrain the struggling princess. She was putting up a difficult fight, though, even with his and Cristo's combined efforts. "Calm yourself, Princess. Cristo will go and see if Tim is still here. If he is, then Cristo will bring him to see you. Okay?" At that, the old tutor nodded at Cristo and the bodyguard nodded in return. In an instant, he was off.

Brey watched Cristo disappear into the mist before he turned back to Alena. "There, you see," he said, smiling cheerfully. "It will be taken care of. Right now we should be concerned about getting you inside. It's been a long night and I think it would be best if we all got a good night's sleep. Okay?"

He gently grabbed her chin and turned her head into his gaze. Alena could not help but smile as well upon seeing her old tutor's optimistic face. "Okay," she quietly said, slightly nodding.

Satisfied the princess would not make another attempt to find Timothy, Brey turned to the inn's door and hefted his walking staff up. He began to bang on the door's wooden surface relentlessly, causing a ruckus the whole Frenorian valley could have heard.

It only took a few minutes of this before a lock on the inside of the inn's entrance began to rattle. The door swung open and revealed one of the innkeeper's large, muscled bodyguards. Brey did not know if this giant was one of the ones he encountered before or not. They all looked alike in the old tutor's eyes; all muscles and no brains.

Although the muscled man wore simple sleeping clothes, his physical stature was no less intimidating. An angry glare bore down on the old tutor, promising instant death. "Knock it off, y' bugger!" he roared. "Can't y' see we're…oh!"

His eyes suddenly lit up, a frightened gaze replacing the raging glare. "Y…you're…" he stuttered, pointing a finger nervously at Brey.

The old tutor smiled fiendishly. At least the ogre remembered him. "Take us to…" He paused, forgetting the innkeeper's name. He turned to Alena and asked, "What did Tim call him?"

"Old…Goat…?" she replied at length, her voice sombre.

Brey smiled and turned back to the muscled man. "Take us to Old Goat!" he commanded, jutting his walking staff into the man's large chest. "At once!"

"Y…yes, sir," he replied, nodding hastily. The muscled man opened the door to let Alena and Brey. He then motioned them to follow him through the inn.

Soon they arrived at a door in a hallway, the very same door Timothy had confronted the innkeeper the night of May's abduction. The muscled man nervously knocked on the door. A muffled but disturbed, "What?" came from within.

"There's someone here to see you, s…sir," the man replied. The uneasiness in his voice caused Brey to stare at him in amazement. He would have thought a man as large as this would have more courage than what he was displaying.

"I said I didn't want to be disturbed," was the response from inside the room.

"S…sir," the muscled man persisted. "It's them. That thief's friends."

Silence hung in the air for a moment before the door bolted open, a startled expression on the innkeeper's old, scrawny face. "Master James!" he blurted out, a touch of fear on his words. "Y…you actually live! Timothy said you were…"

"Skip the small talk, you snivelling weasel," Brey scowled, trying his best to hide his amused smile. He found he could grow to like acting as the ill-tempered wizard Timothy had established him to be. "I came here to talk business, not of my miraculous survival."

"Yes, yes, of course!" Old Goat said, bowing his head with word. In a flash, he disappeared into his room. Seconds later, he re-emerged, carrying a fair-sized bag bulging at its seams. "Here you go, Master James," he said, handing the bag over. "I, uh, was just counting it over for you. Making sure that thief didn't try to swindle you or nothing."

"I…I'm sure," Brey said, taking the bag. Since Alena had not mentioned Timothy would leave a third of his valuables for them, the old tutor was unable to contain a bewildered look on his face as he took the bag. There was a stunned silence for a moment but Brey recovered before the innkeeper could catch his confusion.

"There's one more thing we'll be needing from you, Old Goat," the old tutor said, a malicious smile on his face. The innkeeper visibly flinched at the use of the nickname but nodded, knowing it would not be wise to anger the wizard who caused his skin to shrivel. "Accommodations," Brey continued. He paused, then added with a smile, "The room the Princess was staying seemed nice."

"Yes, of course!" Old Goat said, still bowing his head with every word. "I'll take you there myself if you'd be generous enough to follow me."

Brey nodded and allowed the innkeeper to lead him through the building. Once they reached the room, Old Goat unlocked the door and swung it open for them. "Nice and tidy, sir," he said, feebly smiling.

"I'm sure," Brey mumbled, keeping a threatening glare fixed on the man. The old tutor reached into the bag, feeling for some inexpensive but impressive bauble. He pulled out a goblet studded with small emeralds and sapphires. "Here," he said, handing it over to Old Goat. "This will be our payment for the remainder of our stay. Any questions?"

The innkeeper's eyes lit up. "No, sir!" he replied anxiously. "Thank you, sir!" At that, he scurried away, already caressing the goblet like a new born child.

Brey helped Alena inside and guided her to one of the bedchambers. There, he eased her onto the large bed, letting the princess lie down on her side. Brey smiled as he gently stroked her matted, dirty hair. He noticed it was finally catching up with its original length. While not quite shoulder-length, it had at least retained the fullness it once had.

She seemed so calm right now, so peaceful. It would be simple enough to tuck her in, kiss her goodnight, and let everything that occurred this evening be forgotten in dreamless sleep.

He looked at her for a while, watching as she curled up into a comfortable position and putting her tiny hands underneath her cheeks. He could tell she was almost at the point of sleep, the night's exhaustion finally catching up, as her breathing became easy and her side moved up and down rhythmically. Her face tried to hide her emotions right now but her eyes betrayed her feelings. Her pain was still deeply eating away at her soul. If not taken care of right away, a state of depression could set in permanently. It would not be the best situation for a future monarch.

The old tutor pulled up a chair, sitting down on it. "How are you feeling?" he asked, leaning forward.

"Better," she replied with a deep sigh.

"Do you want to talk about it at all?"

"Not really."

A small frown found its way on Brey's face. She was avoiding her pain, letting it fester inside. He needed to bring it out somehow.

He forced a smile. "I guess now would be a bad time to tell you I was right, wouldn't it," he said, intending it for it to be a small joke. Alena gave him a dangerous glare, silently telling her tutor she got the joke but it was far from funny. "I'm sorry," he sincerely apologized, looking down shamefully. "Bad humour on my part."

The princess turned around, away from her tutor. "I'd like to left alone, Brey," she quietly said.

He frowned again. This was not good. Solitude would only allow her depression to accumulate. However, the tone of her voice indicated her words were not intended as a request nor a favour; more like an order than anything else. Realizing there was nothing he would be able to do for her this night, the old tutor rose from his seat, patted her head, and made his way to the door.

Before he opened it though, the old tutor could already hear faint sobs from the bed.

Brey paused, his hand frozen on the handle. This was not right. He could not just leave her here to wallow in her misery by herself. There had to be something he could do for her.

After a moment's thought, only one thing came to mind. Unfortunately, it would not be pleasant for either of them. Indeed, Brey could already see the short-term outcome of his actions. However, if this was what it was going to take for her to bring out and confront her pain, so be it.

"Alena," he said, turning to her. "Tell me, was it worth it?"

The princess paused in her crying, looking up with tear-rimmed eyes. "What?" she said weakly.

"Was it worth it?" Brey repeated, intentional coldness in his voice. "You were broken and beaten numerous times, I was very nearly killed, and Cristo went through one of the most traumatic experiences he's ever known, all so you could sate your curiosity."

A blank expression found its way onto Alena's face as she stared dumbfounded at the floor. "W…what?" was all she managed to say.

"You heard me," Brey said, a bit of buried frustration finding its way into his voice. "I told you about it from the very beginning. I saw it in you when you first made your way through that mob. It became an obsession for you to sate your curiosity, to see how one person could convincingly impersonate you. You had to see her for yourself, to satisfy your curiosity, and you were willing to risk all of our lives. I hoped you would have realized it for yourself but I guess I was wrong. Now, I'll ask you again. Was it worth it?"

Alena began to shudder. "How dare you…" she muttered, her voice shaking. However, it was not shaking with sorrow anymore, but with anger.

She looked up, her eyes meeting with her tutor. Brey unconsciously took a step back. He had seen those eyes all too often, usually followed by unpleasant events. "How dare you!" she repeated, her teeth clenching as her voice rose. "My very soul is torn and you have the impudence to bring this up! My heart is in more pain than I've ever known, and you don't show the slightest concern for my well-being!"

"Alena, I…"

"Get out!" she screamed, throwing a pillow at Brey. The old tutor easily dodged and tried to speak again.

Seeing he was not moving, Alena bolted across the bed and leapt at him. "I said get out!" she screamed again, absolute animosity controlling her actions.

Brey fumbled with the door, reeling backwards as it swung open. He fell on the wooden floor but his fright washed away any pain he would have received.

"Alena!" he said, holding his hands up. "Princess! Stop! Don't do anything rash! I'm sorry!" He could tell she was beyond reason, though. The fury inside her was in total control and nothing would be spared until it passed, including her closest friends.

Brey feebly scrambled backwards, trying his hardest to stay out of her reach. He ducked behind a small table but Alena merely tossed it out of her way, sending its mantle-piece smashing into the floor. "Alena, please!" he said, his hands feebly ready to block any forthcoming blows. "Think about what you're doing!"

"It's too late for apologizing, old man!" she spat with ire and lunged forward, easily grabbing him by his shirt.

Brey tried to wrestle free but the princess' iron grip was firm. She forced him to the door, throwing aside any furniture in her way. Swinging the door open, Alena tossed him outside, the old tutor smashing against the wall opposite the room.

He was able to recover from the blow in time to see the door slam shut.

Moaning, Brey slowly got up. The most he had expected was a spiteful argument. He had figured Alena's heartache would have subdued her tendency to go berserk. It was not his best judgement call, to say the least.

Hobbling over to the door, the old tutor tried to turn the knob. Locked. "Alena?" he called out, hoping she would hear him. His only response was the sound of chairs being thrown against walls and screams of fury.

Brey shook his head, leaning against the door. He could be no more disgusted with himself and his lack of tact.

"Brey," Cristo's voice came from down the hall. The old tutor turned his attention there, seeing a stunned expression on the bodyguard's face. Cristo was about to ask what was happening but, seeing Brey's overwrought face and hearing the noise from inside the room, he quickly had his answer.

"I think we're going to have to get our own room," Brey remarked dryly, rubbing the back of his neck.

* * *

Cristo sat at a small, round table, sipping on his wine slowly. It was not the greatest tasting wine he had ever drank and the price of it was outrageous, but then it was to be expected from such a remote village. The bodyguard figured Frenor did not have any trading ties with Bonmalmo, perhaps the finest provider of wines throughout the world. If not, they would have to make their own wine, and Santeem's inhabitants, even those stuck this far from civilization, were not reputed as great wine-makers.

He leaned back, taking in the sounds of Frenor's eatery. It was a modest place to lounge with sweet aromas of basted meats wafting from the kitchen and bitter scents of alcohol throughout the rest of the building. Only a few regulars and friends were here right now, making their daily social rounds. Apparently the place would be packed during the summer months, when merchants from all over the coast would peddle their wares in Frenor. Still, that was another month away, and Cristo enjoyed the quiet ambience this eatery was providing.

He leaned back, taking in a bit of the conversation of a nearby group. Someone's field was not yielding the crops he had hoped for, apparently. Now his friends were giving advice, even encouragement. A joke was shared, at the expense of the unfortunate farmer, but they all shared a good laugh anyway.

Cristo smiled, leaning forward again. It all seemed so trivial now, everyone's day to day lives. Sure, someone was bound to suffer this winter if their harvest failed and, as a Zenithian, the bodyguard would have normally felt sorry for the farmer, perhaps even give him a little prayer to help him out.

However, Cristo's feelings were completely detached from such suffering now. It was not that he did not care, rather he just felt it was unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Something profound was taking place, and Cristo's very soul was convinced he had something to do with it. Why else would he now have these wonderful powers at his disposal? The bodyguard was clueless as to what it was, though.

He had talked it over with the priest at Frenor's temple, even cast ‘Surround' to prove it. From the first time they had met, the priest had felt the power within Cristo, even marvelled at how such a young Zenithist held it. However, his jealousy was also blatantly apparent. Indeed, who would not be jealous of a novice granted the power someone dedicated rightfully deserved. The priest's jealousy made him less than helpful, to say the least.

It did not matter, anyway. If Master Dragon had chosen him, then He would reveal Cristo's destiny when He felt it appropriate, not any time sooner. In the meantime, the bodyguard decided to continue his studies as before, perhaps even discovering more spells as he had with ‘Surround'.

He lifted the goblet to his mouth again only to realize its contents were empty. Cristo frowned as slowly stood up. While most of the world's troubles no longer mattered to him, empty wine goblets would still remain priorities when out for a social drink. Sighing, he walked over to the bar, asking for a refill.

When the bartender returned with a full goblet, Cristo asked for the time. He received his answer, nodded, thanked him, and went back to his table.

He took another sip before he let a small frown form. Brey was late. They had agreed to meet here right after the evening sermon at the temple to discuss what they were going to do about Alena. This would be the third night since the Princess had locked herself in the room at the inn. No one had been in and she had not come out. Their only reassurance she was even still alive was the odd cry of despair or scream of rage, followed by the sound of smashing glass or furniture.

Although her misery did not seem to have much affect on Cristo, the bodyguard still knew his duty, and the Princess was also still a friend, even though she would probably have no real bearing on future events. If he was ever to leave this town, he was going to have to make sure she was well and safe before his conscious would allow him to leave. For now, he felt it necessary to remain with his companions, at least until they returned home where he could seek better guidance at the temple in Surene.

The sound of a walking staff tapping rhythmically on the eatery's wooden floor interrupted Cristo's thoughts. He turned his attention to the entrance, finding Brey hurriedly making his way to the bodyguard's table. "You're late," he remarked dryly as the old tutor sat down.

"Sorry," Brey mumbled, waving a hand for a serving wench. Once he ordered for a stein of cold ale, he turned back to his companion. "Old Goat had a little chat with me before I could make it here."

"Oh?"

Brey nodded. "He's not too pleased about the situation."

"I'd imagine not," Cristo said, sipping on his wine.

"Well, it goes a little further than what you think, I'm afraid," Brey said. The serving wench returned with his ale and he asked her, "What's good to eat here, my dear?"

"I'd recommend the roast brahmird basted in lemon and oregano, sir," she replied.

The old tutor slightly shuddered, the thought of eating one of the stupid beasts unsettling. "Just bring me some spiced potatoes," he said, waving her off. The serving wench tilted her head and rushed off.

Brey emptied a quarter of the stein's contents before continuing. "Apparently, the innkeeper decided to take the matter into his own hands," he explained. "Sent a couple of his men into the room to force Alena out. Not the best idea, given the state she's in."

"What happened?"

"They're lucky enough to alive, to say the least," Brey replied grimly. "Remember the innkeeper in Weser?" Cristo nodded. "Something similar to that."

The bodyguard sucked in his breath. It was unbelievable that inside her tiny, fragile form lurked such savagery if provoked.

"So, Old Goat was not very happy about it," Brey continued, now sipping from his stein. "We talked for a while but he more or less said this; either we get Alena out of the building tonight, or else he is going to call upon the lord of Frenor and get soldiers to intervene. I know the Princess is tough, particularly in the state she's in right now, but I don't think even she can defeat armed soldiers, especially when they have orders to go for the kill."

Cristo nodded, understanding the ramifications of Brey's words. They were going to have to confront the Princess and, with her mind bent on destruction, they could be putting their own lives in danger. "Do you have any ideas on how we should proceed?"

"Nothing that'll work for certain, I'm afraid," the old tutor frowned.

The serving wench returned, a hot plate full of aromatic potatoes in one hand. "Here you are, sir," she said, tilting her head as she put the plate on the table.

"Thanks," Brey said indifferently. The serving wench bowed and left the two men alone to attend to other patrons. The old tutor poked at his food for a while, taking only tiny bites. While the potatoes certainly smelled delicious, his worries made him less than hungry.

"She's been completely cut off from the rest of the world," the old tutor continued. "I fear she could be sinking deeper and deeper into a state of insanity with her lack of human contact."

"Have you tried to talk with her at all?" Cristo asked.

Brey nodded. "I've hardly left the room's door," he replied. "I've constantly been apologizing for myself, praying I might be able break that wall between insanity and rationality." The old tutor paused, looking down on his potatoes with distress in his gaze. "But if what she did to those men today is any testament, I haven't been successful, perhaps even pushing her further."

Cristo almost smiled. For as long he knew Brey, the bodyguard would rarely see such guilt. Somehow, despite the circumstances, it was refreshing to see humility in the old tutor's face.

"I think I still might be able to reach her, though," he said at length, looking back up. "Before she locked herself in, Alena tossed me out, as if she wanted to make sure she wouldn't do anything rash with me before she completely lost it."

"What are you saying, then?"

"She's still in there," Brey replied. "Underneath all that savagery and fury, Alena's common sense is still there. We just need something to bring it out again."

"And I take it you feel a face to face confrontation is the only way," Cristo concluded.

Brey nodded. "I've helped her before, so she should be able to recognize me." He paused, his guilt resurfacing. "Besides, this whole thing is my fault, anyway. I'm the one who pushed her limits, so I should be the one to confront her. Your part will be to help me should things get ugly." Cristo nodded, fully agreeing with Brey's logic.

* * *

After finishing and paying for their meals, the two men made their way back to Frenor's Finest Inn. They explained their plan to Old Goat, who seemed all too happy with it. In his view, either the berserk woman would finally be gone, or the old man who had unleashed her would be slaughtered. Either way, the innkeeper would benefit. Old Goat gave them the key to the room, deciding to wait downstairs. After what Alena did to his bodyguards, the innkeeper had no desire to be anywhere near the dangerous young woman.

Taking the key, Cristo and Brey went up to the room, stopping outside the locked door. The old tutor was hesitant to proceed knowing how dangerous Alena was right now. Still, he had to have enough faith the Princess would not harm him if she recognized him in order for his plan to succeed. He just hoped she was not so far gone that simple recognition was beyond her.

Brey decided to try talking through the door before he went in. It would probably be futile since it was the same thing he had been doing the last two days but it would be good to try anyway.

"Alena?" he gently called out, knocking on the door. "Can you hear me? It's Brey."

The room remained quiet. Could she be asleep? No, like a wild animal, the slightest sound would awaken her into instinctive defence. If she had been asleep, the Princess would be awake now.

"Alena," he continued, his voice doleful. "I know I've said this many times before but you have to believe me when I tell you this. Honestly, from the bottom of my heart, I am so very sorry for what I said to you before. I was completely and utterly out of line. I had no right to bring that subject up with you being heartbroken. I…"

He paused, sighing as he slightly looked away from the door. "I just didn't know of any other way to help you," he said. "Seeing your heart torn, hearing you cry, all I knew was I wanted to help you. The only way I thought I could was by getting your emotions out instead of letting you bury them. I failed miserably, though. I guess that's why I became a scholar instead of a counsellor." He forced a chuckle, hoping it would bring a smile to whatever Alena's face beheld. However, no sound could be heard from within.

"Alena," he said at length, his voice becoming serious. "I'm coming in, okay? We have to talk, face to face. I'm opening the door, all right?" He heard no reply and Brey did not expect one. Sighing, the old tutor pulled out the key and put into the lock.

His eyes widened as the key flew from his grasp, still in the lock. The door had opened on him even though he had not turned the key yet. He looked up, coming face to face with Alena. Her clothes were splattered with blood and her fingers were ravaged, bits of skin hanging loosely from their tips.

Brey's attention was almost immediately brought to the top of her head, though. Gone was the fullness he had patted lovingly only a few nights ago. Her hair had all been sliced back to its former, short length. It was not a very neat job, though, as longer tufts of auburn hair stuck out in various areas of her scalp. He did not concentrate long on her lack of hair, as he knew where he should be looking.

He expected eyes of deep seeded hatred, filled with such loathing she would mercilessly kill her old tutor without a second thought. However, no such emotion was apparent. In fact, Brey could not find any emotion behind her delicate orbs.

The princess looked down on him, her face devoid of consciousness and giving no clue of her feelings. Brey swallowed nervously. Uncontrolled rage, anguished sorrow, perhaps even a small sign of her good-natured spirit were all things the old tutor had expected. However, he had not foreseen a blank expression. What could he say to this?

"A…Alena…" he said, finding difficulty keeping his voice steady underneath her uncharacteristic gaze. "I…don't know how to…to…"

"You don't need to apologize, Brey," she said, her voice bearing no hint of rage or despair. "You were right."

"W…what?" the old tutor stammered. The shock of Alena apparently in control of her emotions took him by surprise.

"You were right, Brey," she repeated, placing her hands on his shoulders. If her fingers held any pain, she certainly did not show it. "I've…had time to think about what you said to me. And I realized you were right, and I was the one that was out of line."

"Alena," Brey said, gently removing her hands. He studied her for a moment, trying to find any trace of her former fury or suffering.

The princess realized what her tutor was doing and slightly turned her head away. "After what I did to those two men earlier today," she said, "I think my mind snapped back, the shock of what I was doing hitting me harder than your words." She closed her eyes, guilt etched across her face.

Brey frowned, finding the words to express his thoughts difficult to come by. He wanted to encourage her somehow, to bring some optimism back into her soul. How could anyone accomplish this, though, especially since the guilt of her earlier actions clearly weighing heavy on her conscious.

He gently took her chin to turn her head back. "Alena," he said, "I feel it is safe to say we are all to blame. No one factor can ever contribute to something as profound as what you have gone through." He grabbed her arm, squeezing it tightly. "For whatever my part in it is, I am truly sorry for it."

"Princess," Cristo's voice came as he approached the two. Alena looked to her bodyguard. "This has happened many times before. Someone is hurt, sometimes even killed, due to your uncontrollable rage. Whenever you realize the implications of it, you grow guilty, and let this emotion consume you until we console you to let it subside."

"What are you trying to say, Cristo?" Brey said angrily. The bodyguard's voice seemed to have a lecturing tone to it, and talking in such a manner could not be good for Alena in any state she may be.

Cristo ignored the old tutor and placed a reassuring hand on the princess' shoulder. "You seem to be past the guilt," he said, a rare smile coming to his face. "The way I see it, doing this without our help is a major accomplishment."

Alena did not smile but Brey saw her eyes shine in thanks for the praise her bodyguard gave her. "I just had to face the fact that it's a part of who I am," she said evenly. "I can't promise it won't happen but I feel I will be able to keep it somewhat in check and not let it control my actions so much."

Brey looked intently at her before asking, "You're all right, then?"

The princess closed her eyes and nodded. "Yes," she replied. Alena paused, looking down at her tortured fingers as the pain in them seemed to become apparent in her face. "Well…"

"I'm sure Cristo can help you there," Brey smiled, looking at the bodyguard.

Cristo did not even need to be asked as he immediately cast some curative magic on the princess' fingers. The skin found its way back into place, bright, pink lines marking the previous laceration.

The left side of Alena's lips raised as she turned her gaze to her bodyguard. "Your magic's returned, I see," she remarked.

Cristo merely nodded. "Yes, it has," was all he said about it.

As the bodyguard did his work, Brey peaked inside the room, curious of the destruction left by Alena's fury he heard for two days. Furniture lay broken and scattered throughout, very little of its luxurious history left. Chunks of the stone walls were seemingly gouged out and the few windows the room had were left with jagged bits of broken glass.

"I don't think Old Goat is going to be pleased about seeing this," the old tutor remarked dryly.

"Then we should leave before he finds out," Alena said. "How soon can we go?"

"We have travelling supplies and a brahmird waiting at the stables," Cristo replied. "We were only waiting for you."

"Then if there is no other business for us here…?" she said, looking to both her companions.

"None," Brey said, coming back into the hallway. He paused, considering. Although he would like to lead the princess in a certain direction, this was still her quest, and she should be the one to decide their course.

Turning to Alena, he asked, "Which way we should go?"

Alena thought about it for a moment, then asked, "Which way did Tim go?"

Brey frowned. He had hoped her recovery would have expelled any feelings she had for the thief. If she was still in love with him, though…

"The stable master told me he was travelling north, back the way we came," Cristo replied automatically.

After a moment's pause, Alena said, "We'll continue south."

Brey found it nearly impossible to contain his proud smile.


Epilogue