Book 2: Princess Alena's Adventure

PART 2: ALTERATION
by Christian A. Ciccone

[A] [P] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [E]

 

Chapter 5: The Samaritans

"Why?" Alena nearly screamed, her voice echoing in the inn's empty hallway. "Why didn't you do anything, Cristo?" The bodyguard merely shrugged in defence, infuriating the princess further as it had to be the hundredth time he did so.

"Alena…" Timothy started to say in Cristo's defence but she threw him an icy glare. Her eyes gave a silent warning to the thief that should he interfere, he would severely regret it. Timothy raised his hands and promptly stepped back, leaning against the wall. Despite the fact he was the only one to have seen the strange aura around the bodyguard, if Cristo did not want to defend himself why should he do it for him. It really was not any of his business what went on between him and Alena anyway.

Satisfied she would not have any more interruptions, Alena turned her attention back to the source of her frustration. "Now, explain yourself." The princess then quickly pointed a finger into Cristo's chest. "And don't give me a shrug," she added dangerously. "I demand words, not actions from you."

Cristo sighed and place a hand on Alena's shoulder. The princess looked at his hand, somewhat startled by the action. Cristo never touched her in such a manner before, especially when she was as angry as she was now.

His voice was calm and serene. "Alena," he began, "I cannot really explain my actions, as I do not fully understand what transpired. So it would be impossible for me to describe in such a manner that you could comprehend it." He smiled knowingly and removed his hand.

The princess' cheeks flushed with fury. He had merely shrugged with words! What was he hiding? The frustration was starting to be more than she could bear and her hand clenched into a fist. She was going to get some answers out of him, even if she was forced to beat them out.

A subdued cough interrupted her thoughts and Alena spun around, furious. She opened her mouth to lash out at Timothy for the interruption but paused when she found that it was Brey who had coughed. The old tutor had just entered the hallway from the adjacent room: the same room the impostor had been staying at. Slightly unclenching her fist, Alena asked irritably, "What is it?"

"There's someone in here who wishes to speak with you," the old tutor replied, his voice on the edge of nervousness as he did so. While he did not believe the princess would physically lash out at him, he realized if she let her rage out in an uncontrolled frenzy, it would not matter if he was in her way or not.

Alena lightly sighed, then said, "Fine. We'll be in there in a moment." Brey nodded and went back into the room, glad that Alena had taken the interruption civilly.

Once the old tutor had left, the princess spun back around to face Cristo. She jutted a finger sharply into his chest. Despite his nonchalant behaviour the bodyguard could not help but wince.

"Don't think you have been given a break," she warned, her voice cold as ice, "because we will continue this discussion." With that, she turned on her heels and stormed into the room. Cristo and Timothy exchanged an uneasy look, then followed with a safe distance behind the raging princess.

They entered the same luxurious room they had broken into earlier and into the adjacent bedchamber. Inside, Brey was leaning on his crooked staff just to the side of the door. Two other people were in the room as well. One was an old man, about Brey's age, with a full, long beard yet to see the white of age. The other was a young man with clothes similar to that of a Zenithian cleric's robes; anyone with much experience with Zenithists would notice the minor flaws, though. The large blood clot on his head instantly reminded Alena where she saw him before; it was the man she had tripped over at the end of the passage in the closet.

Apparently, the moment Alena and Timothy had taken off in pursuit of the kidnappers, Brey had finally reached the end of the passage. Fully realizing he could not hope to keep up with his faster companions, he decided to take care of the fallen man, having recognized him as one of the impostor's companions from the market. Upon bringing him back to this room, Brey also discovered the old man knocked out in the bedroom. It took them a while to regain consciousness but Brey had remained by their sides, waiting for them to wake up. Even though the old tutor had had just about enough of the whole "Princess" fiasco, he was still somewhat curious about a few things these two could possibly explain to him.

"I've brought them as you have asked," Brey said with a slight bow to the men by the bedside.

The old man by the bedside turned around and saw the companions. His eyes lit up and he enthusiastically said, "Yes! Yes! Please, do enter. There's much I'd like to talk to you about."

"Such as?" Alena asked simply, folding her arms across her chest.

"Hold on," the old man said, raising his hands. "Introductions are in order. My name is Brey, and my sleeping friend here is Cristo, an apprentice cleric of the Zenithian church."

Alena looked at her tutor, shock in her eyes. He merely nodded as if he already knew what the princess was thinking. She then looked to her bodyguard and was surprised to find a startled expression on his otherwise expressionless face. Timothy, too, was startled but only in the fact that two people with the same names, following the same religion, were in the same room.

The second man calling himself Brey did not notice the startled expressions however, and impatiently asked, "And your names…?"

"A…Alena," the princess stuttered, unable to come up with an alias on the spot. She silently cursed herself for being unable to think quickly like Brey had so many times before.

Alena glanced over to her bodyguard, wondering if he would find it just as, if not more, difficult to think of a different name. However, he seemed very calm, when he simply introduced himself as Lieb, the name of a priest they had met on their travels. A sting of jealousy hit Alena, as she could hardly believe her bodyguard had been able to provide a false name so quickly.

With no reason to hide his identity, Timothy gave his real name. Brey had already provided his alias.

The second Brey regarded the companions for a moment, then looked at Alena for a moment. The princess shifted uncomfortably, wondering if her cover was blown. At length, he asked, "You were the one that continued the pursuit of the kidnappers, am I right?"

"Um, yes," the princess replied, her hand unconsciously moving to her nose. While Cristo had been able to heal the minor injury, the pain of her failure still stung her delicate face. "I…wasn't able to catch them, though."

"Still," the second Brey continued, "what you did took great courage. People such as us recognize bravery when we see it, even if travellers such as yourself do not.

"We have a request of you," he continued after a pause. "Your grandfather, James, told us of the ransom. Unfortunately, we have nothing on our possession that resembles a golden bracelet."

"It wasn't yours he wanted," Alena stated. "He said it was Frenor's treasure."

"Oh…" the second Brey uttered, his eyes lamenting as though his plans were ruined. He turned away, mumbling, "I see…"

Movement from the bed quickly drew everyone's attention there and found the second Cristo was stirring awake. "Don't try to move," the second Brey gently said to this companion, resting a supportive hand on the young man's shoulder. However, he weakly shook his head and motioned for the first Cristo to come forward. The bodyguard did so and leaned in.

"Y…you're a…fellow…Zenithist, am I…right?" the second Cristo asked. The bodyguard nodded in response. The second Cristo smiled, then said, "Then…please, as a man…dedicated to…the…well-being of…our world, you must help…us to rescue…May." His eyes suddenly widened as a bony elbow jutted him in the ribs, a warning glare hitting him from the second Brey. "The…Princess…" he weakly amended.

"You will all be handsomely rewarded, of course," the second Brey quickly added, lightly pushing the bodyguard away to let his companion slip back into rest.

The first Brey rolled his eyes, disgusted with the notion of these impostors offering them money to do their work. Alena remained unmoving, absorbed in her own thoughts. However, Timothy's eyes lit up at the mention of a reward.

"Could we, uh, have a moment to discuss this?" he asked, seeing his companions' indecision. The second Brey nodded and Timothy motioned for the rest of them to follow him to the other room.

Once privately assembled, the thief immediately turned to Brey. "James," he frantically said, "we have to do this!"

"Why?" Brey asked, eyeing Timothy coldly.

"M…many reasons," he replied, stuttering from shock. "The Princess of our country is in danger, and…and…" Timothy lost his words when Brey snorted, turning away with disgust. The thief gazed at the old tutor for a moment, disbelief in his eyes. "James!" he pleaded. "Please! You have to help me. I can't do this on my own!"

"He's right," Alena spoke up, looking at Brey.

Both men started at her, shock in their faces though for different reasons. "I am?" Timothy asked.

"He is?" Brey said immediately after, pointing at the thief incredulously. Seeing Alena's nod of confirmation, the old tutor's eyes narrowed and he strode over to the princess. "Excuse us, Tim," he said as he grabbed Alena's arm, "but we're going to have a private conversation." The thief raised his hands and stepped back, allowing the two to talk in hopes Alena would be able to persuade her grandfather.

As they entered the hallway, they hardly noticed Cristo follow as Brey immediately turned his attention on the princess. "What's wrong with you?" he asked, his voice firm but subdued. "Don't tell me you've fallen for their…"

"Oh, be quiet," Alena interrupted, pushing the old tutor away. Brey's eyes widened with angered surprise but before he could lash out, Alena said, "I know full well that whoever was kidnapped is an impostor but I think we should still help them. Why shouldn't we, old man?"

Brey frowned. "This is none of our affair," he calmly explained. "I say we should expose these impostors for who they are and be done with them, continuing on our way." He paused for a moment, eyeing Alena suspiciously. "Why would you want to help them?"

Alena shrugged. "It sounds sort of exciting, I guess," she replied simply. Brey continued to eye her and she quickly added, "What? I can't think of another reason."

Brey shook his head and turned to Cristo. "What about you?" he said, poking the bodyguard with his crooked staff. "What do you think we should do?"

"Whether she is an impostor of the Princess is irrelevant," he replied, absently rubbing his chest. "What matters is a fellow being is in trouble and, as a Zenithist, it is my duty to help in any way I can."

The old tutor rolled his eyes. "Don't tell me that actor got to you, too?" he asked. Cristo merely shrugged, remaining silent. Brey heaved a heavy sigh, shaking his head. "I guess I have no choice," he muttered disdainfully. "I very well can't let the two of you run off like this without me there to get you out of trouble."

"Thank you, Brey," Alena cheerfully smiled, giving her old tutor an affectionate hug.

"Sure," he muttered, blushing as he patted her arm.

When she let go, though, the old tutor turned around and gave her a cold glare. "I'll help you," he said, jabbing his crooked staff into her stomach, "but I fear for you, Alena."

"Fear for me?" the princess repeated, confused.

Brey sighed, shaking his head. "If you cannot see it now, I don't know if you ever will," he said. "But the best way for you to overcome it is to recognize it yourself, so I'll keep silent about it for now."

He then walked past her, entering the suite with Cristo behind. Alena remained in the hallway for a moment, wondering exactly what Brey meant.

* * *

Timothy was very enthusiastic about Alena, Cristo, and Brey joining him, and the two impostors displayed restrained gratefulness, attempting to keep up an ecclesiastic appearance.

None of them knew where to start looking for the golden bracelet, though. Any town treasure would normally be held at a lord's home, but then kidnapping a Princess did not make any sense. It would have been a simpler plan just to break into the lord's manor and steal the bracelet from there. So, if the bracelet was not at the lord's manor, where would it be?

Timothy decided it would be best to talk to the innkeeper first, if anything to at least get a couple of rooms since the night was growing long. Upon reaching the innkeeper's chambers down below, Timothy halted his companions, advising them to let him do most of the talking since he knew the innkeeper. The others nodded in agreement.

The thief knocked on the door before entering and said an enthusiastic, "How have you been, Old Goat?"

The room was not very large, probably used as a meeting place for a few people. Since there were already three people in there, including the bewildered forms of the two large bodyguards that had been outside the impostor's chambers, space was very short once everyone gathered inside.

Alena cast a hesitant glance towards the bodyguards, who both had bags of ice on their heads. She was uncertain whether they would recognize her as the one who had caused their injuries. Should they suddenly rise and attack, it would get very ugly in the small room. However, their confused, if not dumbfounded, expressions calmed the princess' nerves.

The third person was a small, spindly, old man with a long, white moustache and receding white tufts of hair. The moment Timothy burst in, the old man jumped out of surprise. "T…Tim!" the innkeeper stammered. "H…how did you get in here?"

"Now, now," the thief smiled, waving a finger. "You know full well that my trade secrets are mine to keep, Old Goat."

The innkeeper flinched at the name Timothy had used. "Why must you use that name?" he asked, obviously pained.

"Because it suites you," Timothy replied. He paused for a moment, smiling. "Old Goat," he added, his words intentionally stinging.

Flinching again as he buried the remark, Old Goat sat down on a nearby wood table, folding his arms across his chest. "So, what are you doing here, Tim," he asked without much interest. Only then did he finally notice Alena, Cristo, and Brey. "And who are these people?" he asked irritably.

"Just some people I've joined with," Timothy replied somewhat quickly, having no desire to go through with tedious introductions. "As for your first question, I'm sure you know full well why I'm here."

"No…" the innkeeper slowly said, a coy expression on his face.

"Don't play dumb, Old Goat!" Timothy harshly shot back. He suddenly lunged forth, grabbing the innkeeper by the neck and placing him in a tight headlock. The two bodyguards rose to help their boss and Alena took a step forward as well, ready to back Timothy should it come to blows.

The innkeeper managed to raise a hand, warding his bodyguards off. Obviously, he was used to such treatment from the thief. Both sides backed down, keeping a wary watch on the other.

Satisfied he was in no immediate danger, Timothy released his grip and allowed Old Goat to breathe again. "You know full well that I'm here because the Princess of Santeem is in Frenor," he said at length. "Did you really think you would be able to have her all to yourself?"

"That's utter nonsense," the innkeeper replied, rubbing his neck.

Timothy was satisfied with his theory, though, and continued undaunted. "Well, the Princess has been kidnapped, Old Goat, and you are a major suspect."

Old Goat's eyes widened incredulously. "Me?" he exclaimed, pointing to himself. "How would…?"

"The kidnappers used a secret passage that led straight to the Princess' chambers," Timothy interrupted, taking a threatening step forward. "Therefore, someone you know must be responsible."

"I…wouldn't know," the innkeeper said hesitantly.

Timothy frowned. "James, come here," he commanded. Brey did not react at first, having no interest in the affair before him. However, Alena threw him a warning glare, causing the old tutor to loose his resolve. Sighing, he stepped forth.

The thief leant over and whispered, "Can you do that curse on him that you did to me?" Brey was a little confused by the question but nodded. Timothy smiled, then said, "When I nod, do it."

Turning his attention back on Old Goat, the thief coldly said, "This man is a powerful wizard. He merely follows me because I promised him I'd introduce him to the Princess so he would have a chance to become a royal advisor and tutor."

The irony of his words managed to draw a muffled laugh disguised as a cough from Brey, spoiling his testy attitude.

Somewhat startled by the interruption, Timothy nearly lost the seriousness in his act but was quick to cover. "As you can see," he continued, "his health is failing. This was his last chance for his dream to come true."

"What does…?" the innkeeper started to say but was again cut off.

"I know you know something," Timothy stated firmly, "and if you don't talk, James will place a curse on you so horrible, your skin will shrink away until there is nothing left but bones."

"What?" the innkeeper cried. He was visibly trembling at the notion of such a curse. He waited a moment, apparently weighing his options as he glanced nervously around the room. "Tim," he stuttered, "I only…"

"Do it!" the thief coldly said with a nod. Old Goat backed up, sweat streaming down his face. He feebly signalled for his bodyguards to help him. Both stood up and took up stances in front of their boss, daring anyone to get past them. Alena fully accepted the dare.

Springing forward, the princess quickly grabbed the closest of the large men and delivered a sharp knee to his groin. His eyes rolled into the back of his head as he fell over, clutching his genitals. Alena smirked, marvelling at how easy such a large man could be fallen.

The second one, while initially stunned by Alena's quickness, started to lunge at the princess. Alena spun around and prepared to give an equally critical blow.

A small, chipped copper sword fell between the two, blocking their paths. "I think it would be best that you move aside," Cristo calmly said, moving his sword so it pointed to the large man. The large man scowled at the princess but did as told, his own life being on a higher priority than the innkeeper's. Keeping his sword on the large man, Cristo looked at Alena. Seeing her stunned expression seemed to bring a tiny smile to his face.

"Now then…" Timothy said once things calmed. He waved a hand in the quivering innkeeper's direction. "James, if you would."

After Brey cast ‘Sap', Old Goat's skin began to shrivel, clinging to the bony outcroppings of his elbows and hips. He shrieked with fear, writhing as if the last bits of life were escaping. However the spell finished, leaving him a disgusting display of skin and bones.

"P…please…!" he cried, falling into a begging stance at Timothy's feet. "I beg of you! Make it stop! I swear I know nothing!"

The thief ignored his pleas for some time, apparently enjoying the scene before him. At length, he turned an icy glare at Old Goat and said, "Fine. I will have James stop the curse on the condition that we will have privileged access to your facilities. Do we have a deal?"

"Yes! Yes!" the innkeeper cried. "By the Master, you may have the finest rooms that I can offer!"

Timothy nodded, then turned to Brey, saying, "Release him!"

The old tutor stood still for a moment, not knowing exactly what to do. In the end, he made some silly gestures with his hands and mumbled some nonsense. "There," he said afterward. ‘It will take some time for your skin to return to normal but it will no longer shrivel."

"Oh, thank you, Master James!" the innkeeper whined, now grovelling at the old tutor's feet. Brey threw him a scowl and kicked Old Goat away, disgusted with the display. The innkeeper cowered back, fearful he had angered the apparently powerful wizard.

"So you know nothing of a planned kidnapping," Timothy asked again.

Old Goat shook his head and replied, "T…this is the first I've heard of it. Honest!"

"Fine," the thief muttered. "We'll be retiring for the night. I'm sure that I can find the proper rooms to accommodate us."

Once they were all assembled back in the hallway, Brey immediately spun on Timothy, jabbing his crooked staff into the thief's chest. "Was that really necessary?" the old tutor scolded. "What good was that?"

Rubbing his chest, Timothy explained, "Well, we found he wasn't behind the kidnapping, and we got ourselves rooms, didn't we?"

"…All of which could have been done without that disgusting display," Brey argued back. He paused for a moment, eyeing the thief suspiciously. "What exactly possessed you to do something like that?"

An evil smile crept onto Timothy's face, causing him to look somewhat out of character. "I've always wanted to do something like that to the old goat," he chuckled, then started to walk down the hall, leaving his companions in a stunned silence.


Chapter 6: Looking For Clues