Chapter Two

First Date

"Sally."

I voiced a startled yelp as I straightened from leaning toward my computer monitor. When I glanced to my left, I gave a surprised blink. "Instructor Trepe. What can I do for you?"

She absently tapped on the counter of my 'desk' in the library with a solitary finger, which she dutifully watched. "I'm sorry about being a bitch before."

I blinked yet again before lowering my attention to the desk top. I picked at a corner and shrugged. "It's okay."

"Being pathetic is okay?" She scoffed. "Whatever. It's no one's fault but mine that I'm..." She shook her head and released a deep breath. "You and me are a lot alike, Sally," she confessed quietly. "I had a crush on someone..." She nearly snorted. Then she looked up and met my gaze. "On Squall. Okay? I had a crush on Squall for years. I don't know why. Then Rinoa came into his life and it was 'save Rinoa, save Rinoa, save Rinoa'. He risked his life for her more than once. Me? I had to save my own butt." She shook her head again, gaze focusing on her tapping finger. "I guess I was in denial that our past at the orphanage didn't mean anything to him. We're friends. That's it. That's all it will ever be. He and I just don't have enough in common. And I don't accept him for who he is. Not like Rinoa. I tried too hard to change him. She just listens."

I watched Instructor Trepe's face and saw my own expression not so many days before I had told Zell just how I felt. The only difference being that Squall didn't feel anything for her but friendship. "I'm sorry it didn't work out," I said softly. And I really was.

She shrugged, raising her focus from the counter. "Oh well. Squall never did get my sense of humor. Always irritated him. Thought I was making fun of him all the time. Who knows? Maybe I was because he never paid attention to me." She looked over at me. "You're lucky, Sally. Really, really lucky."

I nodded as I swallowed hard. "I know," I whispered.

"And I'm sorry I sprung it on Zell like that. Like I said, I acted a bitch because I was mad... But I shouldn't have taken it out on you."

"I was telling him when you came in," I said softly. Then I gave a shrug. "I just had to tell him a little differently."

I could feel her examining my face. "How in the world do you do it? Doesn't he drive you crazy?"

I blinked and looked up at her. "What do you mean?"

"Zell. Him and his... I don't know what a person calls it. He's hyperactive, irresponsible, annoyingly positive, and doesn't let anything get to him. Well, except for some of Seifer's practical jokes. He's not exactly the brightest candle in the church, either. You're a brain. Not exactly aggressive or outgoing..."

"Not Zell's type," I whispered.

She released a quick breath. "I never knew Zell had a type. It seemed to me that he just hung out with girls the same as guys. He's not exactly very sensitive."

I cleared my throat. You'd be surprised. "I just let him be himself," I said, still almost in a whisper. "He does the same with me. We're friends, and we like the other for who they are. He doesn't mind my anal shyness or modesty, and I think his outgoing, laid-back attitude is adorable." I cleared my throat again, feeling the blush rise to dangerous levels. "We have fun together. That's all."

Instructor Trepe continued to watch me. "You like it when he pushes your boundaries, don't you? You like being pulled out of your shell."

I reluctantly smiled as I peeked up at her. "It has its moments. But if I give him an inch, he takes a mile."

She smiled, and then she chuckled. "I can see that." She reached out and gave my hand a squeeze. "Good for you, Sally. I'm glad you said something. It's more than what I've ever done."

I flushed. "Thank you, Instructor Trepe."

"Call me Quistis." Then she turned and walked out.

I heard Zell give her a passing greeting, to which she grumbled a response - she was probably still annoyed at his attempted prank - and then there was silence. Zell probably watched her leave while rubbing at the back of his neck as he tried to figure out what he could do to make it up to her. I smiled and packed up my stuff.

"I'm out of here, Val. See you at the movie tonight?" There came a muffled and indistinguishable reply from the other side of the library as I slung my bag onto my shoulder.

Zell entered the library then and came to lean against the counter. "Hey, beach bunny."

"Beach bunny?" I wrinkled my nose. "What happened to Meg?"

"After seeing you in a wet t-shirt that says beach bunny? Nothing doing."

I flushed but ignored it. I knew Zell said things like that just to get the reaction. "I like 'Meg'," I told him as I came around the counter.

Zell shrugged and relieved me of my bag to sling it over his own shoulder. He took hold of my hand. "I'm not saying I'll never use it. Depends."

We made our way from the library and headed for the dormitory to get our blankets and pillows. I also needed to change from my SeeD candidate uniform into jeans and a sweatshirt like what Zell wore.

"Quis wasn't giving you a hard time, was she?" he asked suddenly.

I smiled, loving the fact he wanted to protect me from stuff. "No. She apologized."

"Seriously? Cool." He sent me a glance. "She still pissed at me about the Zone prank thing?"

I sent Zell a reassuring smile. "A little, more than likely. I know I would be, especially if I thought the person did it just for laughs, which my brother has done before." I'm having a conversation like this with Zell Dincht?

Zell nodded and looked away with a cutely adorable expression of guilt that tugged at my heart. "Yeah. I guess I can see that. Geez. Not one of the brightest things I've done. Huh?"

My lower lip quivered and I gave his hand a squeeze. "Zell, just give her a bit to cool off," I said softly. He met my gaze. "Then you can try and apologize again."

He nodded, expression still serious. "It wasn't just about the laughs, Sally. I seriously was trying to help Zone out."

"And she'll understand that," I assured. "After all, she knows you."

Zell grinned and wrapped his arm around me. "Not half as good as you do."

I flushed. Warm fuzzies!

"So... How close do I get to sit next to ya, anyway?"

I would have laughed at him, but I knew he was being serious. I liked knowing he did his best to help me feel more comfortable with the idea of... 'us'. "We'll take it as it goes, I guess," I said quietly.

"Cool. I can do that."

I giggled and looked over at him. "Try not to push too many boundaries, though. Okay?"

Zell chuckled. "Okay, okay. No snapping; no pinching; no groping. Got it."

I giggled again. "Now that I've taken all your fun."

Zell grinned over at me. "Nah. Just made it more of a challenge." His grin faded. "Uh-oh."

"What?"

"If someone asks, what am I supposed to say again?"

"Asks?" I wrinkled my nose as I met his gaze. "Asks about what?"

"Us."

I blinked. "What do you mean? Just say whatever you want. You've already introduced me as 'my girlfriend'."

"You sure it's okay?"

I smiled. "I guess I won't know until it happens."

"You'll give me 'the look' if I step out of line, right?"

I giggled. "Oh, Zell. I won't humiliate you. At least, I'll try not to."

Zell's expression relaxed. "Hey. That's all I needed to know."

I unlocked the door to my room as he lowered his arm from my shoulders. "I'll be right out."

"You mean I can't watch?"

My jaw dropped as my fingers stopped working the key. I looked over at Zell's semi-serious face with wide eyes. "I'm changing my clothes, Zell. Of course you can't watch!"

He snapped his fingers and then crossed his arms as he leaned against the wall. "Man. I don't get any fun."

I slugged his arm. "You saw me in a swimsuit, Mr. Dincht. That's all the fun you get."

"What? You were wearing a t-shirt over it," he complained.

I opened the door and put my keys back into my pocket. "That isn't my problem. Wait here. I'll be out in a second."

True to my word, I changed and had my hair combed in less than 10 minutes. I opened the door to let him in and then turned away. "Help me grab--" Suddenly arms lifted me. I squealed. "Zell Dincht! Put me down!"

"You told me to help you grab." Zell set me on my feet again. "Didn't I grab the right thing?"

I turned, forcing a scowl as I put my fists on my hips. He looked adorably serious. "Blankets and pillows, mister. Not me."

"How come?" Zell asked with a somewhat innocent expression. "You feel better."

"Zell!" I protested as I flushed molten.

Zell grinned.

I pointed at him. "You are impossible." Absolutely adorable, but impossible nonetheless.

Zell stepped up to me, taking hold of my pointing finger and using it to pull me close. "Yup," he admitted as his arms went around me. "That's me."

I blinked up at him. Then I lowered my eyes with a self-conscious clearing of my throat. "Could you please help gather my extra pillows and a couple blankets?" I whispered.

"Sure," Zell said, tone actually soft and quiet.

I smoothed some imaginary wrinkles from the front of his dark blue sweatshirt. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

The ends of my lips twitched upward, and I raised my gaze from his shirt. Zell still stared down at me, smiling. I giggled. "What?" I asked.

"Nothing. I just like looking at ya." Zell grinned. "Sounds kinda corny, huh?"

My eyes misted as my smile wavered. "No."

Zell's grin faded. "Oh geez. Don't cry, Sally."

I sniffed and sent him a teary smile. "Sorry. I... That was the sweetest thing you could have said," I whispered. I wrapped him up in a hug and pressed my cheek against his chest.

"Well then what are--"

"Because that's what I do," I said, giggling. "Shy people have a tendency of bawling at the weirdest things."

Zell chuckled. "Oh."

I yawned suddenly and flushed and giggled as I stepped back. "I hope I stay awake for the movie. I've heard it's good."

Zell grinned. "Well come on, sleepy head. We better get our stuff and get over to the Quad before all the good seats are taken."

We gathered the extra pillows and blankets and passed to the hallway beyond. Zell took the blankets and pillows from me, adjusting them in his arms as I locked the door. Then I looped my arm through his and matched his easy stride. I guess being shy's not so bad. Just a challenge. An obstacle to climb over to get to the good stuff. Zell being the good stuff, of course.

Zell kept quiet, so I looked over at him. "What's the matter?" I asked when I saw his serious expression.

"Huh?" Zell met my gaze. "Matter? What d'ya mean?"

I pointed at him. "You were all serious. You okay?"

"Sure." Zell grinned. "Can we make out?"

I gasped and flushed, saved any response by the laughing tone of "I wouldn't recommend it" sounding behind us.

Zell looked over his shoulder while I tried to grab my wits and imagination back from how it would feel to make out with Zell Dincht at a movie under blankets-- Sally! I released my hold on Zell's arm to clench my hands behind my back as we stopped to face the approaching pair of Squall and Rinoa.

"Why not, Squall?" Zell protested. "It's fun, and you and Rinoa do it all the time."

Squall's lips lifted in a slight smile, but he didn't answer. He only looked over at me in my humiliation... Okay, so it wasn't really humiliation.

"Hi, Sally. Good job on the Fire Cavern. Rinoa," he said as he looked to the pretty and slim brunette beside him, "this is Sally Regal. Remember? The one that beat my score on the Fire Cavern?"

Rinoa smiled, and it brightened her face. She extended a hand as she stepped forward. "Hi. Nice to meet you."

I took her hand, flushing as we shook. "Nice to meet you, too."

"Aren't you the one that gave us that Mega Phoenix?"

Zell grinned. "Yup." He nudged my arm with his shoulder. "That's, Meg."

Rinoa released my hand, still smiling, and looked over at Zell. "Meg? How cute."

"Short for Mega Phoenix," Squall informed as he stepped forward.

Zell looked at Squall with an expression of amazement. "Hey. How'd you know?"

I giggled. Squall laughed. "It's kind of obvious, Zell," he said. He nudged Rinoa's arm. "Come on. If we don't go now, all the best seats will be gone."

"Oh. Alright." She looped her hands around Squall's arm, sending a smile over her shoulder at me and Zell. "Come and sit by us. Okay?"

I nodded and watched them head for the Quad. "I always liked her. I'm glad her and Squall are working it out."

"Yeah. Me, too. She's grown up a lot since we first met her. She was a little annoying back then."

"I guess all of us can be," I admitted. I sent him a glance. "Although you were only cute," I told him, flushing a bright red.

"Cute?" Zell grinned. "Hey. I'm cute."

I giggled. "Didn't you know that?"

"Nope."

I gave in to an urge and stepped on tiptoes to kiss him on the cheek. "Well you are." Then I gave his spike a gentle tug and wrinkled my nose at him. "Painfully so." Sally Regal?

"I like it when you do that," Zell said suddenly.

I blinked at him. "Do what?"

"Get aggressive." Zell wiggled his eyebrows at me. "I think I'm rubbing off on ya."

I flushed and wrapped an arm around him. We stepped again toward the Quad. "Well no wonder," I said softly, "with your need for constant contact."

Zell gave me a nudge. "Hey. I don't need constant contact from everybody."

I smiled, and the blush deepened as I glanced over at him. "Thanks."

He grinned.

We stepped down the steps into the Quad, immediately welcomed by both Rinoa and Selphie's arms in the air. Selphie and Irvine sat on one side of Rinoa and Squall, but there was enough space that Zell and I could sit between. Quistis wasn't there. Zell and I moved forward, me not feeling up to the task of releasing his arm, and headed toward the previously mentioned pairs. Thankfully, neither of them made any comment.

I released Zell's arm, freeing him of one of the thicker blankets to spread it on the ground after folding it in half. Then he and I arranged the pillows against the newly built wall and lowered ourselves onto the space, gathering blankets around us to block the night chill and hide the unexpected position I was in. Zell had somehow guided me to lean against his chest while sitting between his bent legs - yes, I said between - with his arms very snugly surrounding me.

"Is that okay?" he whispered.

I sighed with a silly smile as I snuggled in. "Perfect." Where shy Sally Regal had gone, I had no idea.

Zell chuckled.

I heard a stifled giggle and glanced to my right. Rinoa and Squall were in a very similar situation and position.

Rinoa met my gaze and smiled. "You guys are cute together."

I flushed, as I always did when a cue was spoken, and smiled. "Thank you," I whispered. "So are you."

Rinoa snuggled back the same as I had done, resting her head back on Squall's chest. "Thanks." Squall adjusted his arms around her under the blanket, resting his chin on her head.

"Hey, Sally."

I looked to my left. Selphie sat beside Irvine, his arm around her shoulders. Apparently they weren't to the point in their relationship as Rinoa and Squall. "What?"

Selphie gave me a bright smile and a thumbs up, to which Irvine shook his head, chuckling.

"Everyone's gonna know now," Zell whispered in my ear.

"That's okay," I said as I looked to the movie screen ahead. "I told you that wasn't the problem."

Zell adjusted his crossed arms around me, and I could almost hear his smile as he snuggled down into the warmth of the blankets and pulled me closer against him. The movie started then, but who cared about that when I could take a nap in Zell's arms?

So I did.


I snuggled, and something else moved. My eyes snapped open and I stopped breathing. Mind searching... Memories blurred... The 'something' moved again, blaring alarms in my head when pressure tightened around and against me. I closed my eyes again, swallowing hard to gather courage before looking down. I lie on my side, wrapped in blankets, my head on a pillow, and there was an arm... around... me... I blinked, eyes wide as I stared at the arm. It was clearly male--

I relaxed with a near giggle as I shook my head. One mystery solved. Now I had to figure out why Zell and I were asleep in the Quad. It was still on the dark side, so I couldn't tell if anyone else was still there. Only one way to find out.

I tapped the arm surrounding me. Zell didn't respond, and his breathing remained just as deep and steady. I bit my lower lip and tried again, a little firmer. Zell stretched, and I heard him mumble something while he smacked his lips. His arm tightened around my mid-section. I flushed, and then I took in a slow breath before carefully rotating myself around to face him. I gave his shoulder a slight nudge. No response.

"Zell," I whispered with a firmer push. "Zell, please wake up."

Zell's one arm pulled me closer as the other came to complete the circle. He mumbled something unintelligible yet again and adjusted his head on the pillow. I swallowed hard, my hand going behind me to grab his wrist and disengage one arm from its hold - desperate to keep my heart from noticing how adorable he looked when sleeping...

Zell's eyes opened. He smiled-- He blinked and the smile vanished as he pulled his arms quickly away, sitting up sharply as his ears pinked. "Sorry, Meg. Fell asleep." Zell rubbed at the back of his neck with occasional glances toward me.

I smiled and sat up as well. "It's okay, Zell." I looked around. "No other blankets. Looks like everyone else stayed awake long enough to finish the movie and get dinner."

Zell stood and helped me up. "Geez. It's after one in the morning! Ma'd kill me if she found out about this."

I timidly smiled at him. "I promise I won't tell."

Zell's serious expression melted to a smile. Then he gathered up the blankets. "Thanks, but Selph'll probably blab without meaning to." He straightened, blankets and pillows in arms, and motioned to the exit with his head. "Come on. Scoot. Gotta get you to bed."

I fell into step beside him. "Not much of a first date," I observed somberly. "I'm sorry, Zell."

"Tch! What are you talking about?" He gave my arm a nudge, drawing my attention. "Taking a nap with my girlfriend surrounded by friends having fun is just as good a first date as anything. We'll just try again later."

I sheepishly smiled with a slight nod. "Okay, and this time I'll be sure to nap before our date."

Zell grinned. "You don't have to do that."

I giggled, stuffing my hands in my pockets with a shiver. "I knew you were going to say that," I accused.

"Uh-oh. Time to change tactics."

I shivered again, and my teeth began to chatter.

Zell's grin waned to a serious expression as he said "Hold on" and stopped to drop the pillows and blankets. He freed one from the tumbled stack and wrapped it around me, smiling as he rubbed my upper arms. "There ya go."

I held his gaze as my hand held the blanket in place. "Thank you," I said softly. I felt a 'mushy-moment' coming up fast.

Zell smoothed some hair from my face. "Sure." His smile widened. "You've got a pillow mark on your cheek."

I giggled softly. "So do you." And I reached up to caress it with a whisper of "It's all red." Then I lowered my hand and gaze with a clearing of my throat, my cheeks flushing crimson.

Zell chuckled. "So are yours."

I snuggled into the blanket with a smile, enjoying the silence and the sound of him breathing and the warmth of his hands on my arms through the blanket...

"Sally?"

I didn't look up. "Yeah?"

"You want to go walk on the beach or something? I'm not really tired."

Neither was I. "Okay."

Zell gathered up the blankets and then walked close beside me. Walk on the beach? The most romantic place on the planet? My lips were in a continual smile as we climbed the steps of the Quad and entered Balamb Garden. We didn't say anything as we navigated our way through the main corridor of Garden to the front gates. I didn't mind the silence, either. Usually it made me nervous or uncomfortable, I don't know why, but this didn't. I suppose I was too busy enjoying the fact that Zell really walked beside me as we approached the beach on our first date. I sighed.

Zell nudged my arm with an elbow. I looked over at him with a silly smile as my eyes crinkled at the corners. "I'm not stressing. Promise."

Zell smiled. "I know. You look different when you stress."

I blinked at him, my expression serious. "I do?"

Zell laughed. "Come on, Meg, that's a 'duh'."

I sheepishly smiled. "Did you know you rub your tattoo?"

Zell raised an eyebrow. "No kidding?"

I nodded, matter-of-fact. "When you're trying to figure out if you want to do something or not, you rub at it." My eyes crinkled again. "I know this'll sound mushy and corny, but I think it's cute." Zell cleared his throat and looked away, ears flushing pink. I blinked at him. "I-I didn't m-mean to embarrass you," I whispered.

Zell's gaze moved to my face. He gave me another nudge and a reassuring smile. "Never been embarrassed before. Kinda weird feeling."

I looked down at the grass at our feet. "I get embarrassed all the time. Mostly it's because I don't want to do anything that will make me look..." I cleared my throat, "for lack of a better word, stupid."

"You've never gotten used to compliments either, I bet," Zell offered.

I shook my head. "Nope." I sent him a sidelong glance. "Neither have you."

Zell chuckled, adjusting his hold on the blankets and pillows. "Well when you grow up being called chicken-wuss..."

I smiled as I watched his profile in the moonlight. I'll give you as many compliments as you need, Zell. You deserve every one of them. "I don't think you're a chicken-wuss," I said softly.

Zell laughed - always a glorious sound in my opinion - and gave me a wonderful smile and nudge. "Yeah, but you would say that."

I giggled. "Yeah. Because it's true."

"No. Because you like me."

"Well, that's a stupid reason," I said, matter-of-fact.

Zell halted, his mouth gaping as he stared at me. "Huh?"

My expression was serious as I faced him. "Someone should never say something just because they like the person."

"Oh really?"

I nodded again, eyes wide with an expression of 'didn't you know'. "Of course. For example, I can say you're a stud" - my face flamed - "because I know that's not only my opinion. Selphie said it, too. I can also say you're one of the best Instructor's at Garden because I know that other people have said the same thing. I would never say something just because I like you."

Zell stared at me, and I couldn't tell if he realized I teased him or not. Teasing was still unexplored territory for me--

I saw a recognizable twinkle and took a step backward. I put my arms and hands out. "Now Zell..."

"So you don't say anything just because you like me?" He dropped the blankets and pillows with a deliberate motion, hiking up his sweatshirt sleeves as I continued to slowly back up. "Wanna bet?"

The twinkle brightened as he took one step closer. I backed off two. My lips twitched. "Zell... Come on. Play nice."

Zell wiggled his eyebrows at me, and his lips stretched in a slow grin. "You better run, beach bunny."

My eyes widened. "Uh-oh." I squealed and turned, dropping the blanket from my shoulders as I ran for the beach.

"You better move faster than that!"

I dodged to the right, ducking on impulse. I felt the swoosh of his arm pass my head and giggled with another squeal as I dodged to the left. "Missed me!"

Zell's ever-familiar maniacal chuckle sounded not-so-far behind. I rolled, again keeping myself free of a reach, and hit the ground running. I dodged left and rolled again, still hearing Zell's quick steps behind. When I got to my feet this time, however, I knew Zell had me. I just couldn't run as fast. Sure enough, Zell gently gripped an arm, quickly spinning me around and lifting me up to thwump me onto his shoulder.

I giggled and kicked. "Zell! Put me down!"

"Nope. Got you fair and square." Zell turned to go back the way we'd come, making his way for the stack of blankets and pillows.

I fisted his back a couple times, doing my best to play the damsel-in-distress. "Zell!"

"Nope."

And we back-and-forthed like that all the while he made his way to the blankets and pillows, scooped them up in his other hand, and then headed back to the shore. I nearly cried I laughed so hard. Then he dropped the blankets and pillows onto the beach and adjusted his hold on me so that he could set me on the ground.

Zell held on to my arms and grinned down at me. "I run pretty good for a chicken-legged spaz, huh?"

I frowned playfully, placing my hands on my hips. "You aren't a spaz and you aren't chicken-legged. I don't care what anyone else says."

Zell chuckled and then released my arms to sit on the ground and pull up his gray sweatpants. He looked up at me. "Sally, how can you say these aren't chicken legs?"

I crossed my arms. "Oh I don't know, because you aren't a chicken?"

Zell threw his head back and laughed. Then he grabbed hold of an arm and tugged me down beside him. His arms enfolded me in a tight hug. "See? Everybody knows I've got chicken-legs. You deny it because you like me. Admit it."

I pushed at his chest, flushing molten. "I don't admit anything," I said with a lifted chin. "You're not a chicken, therefore you can't have chicken legs."

"Come on, Sally. Admit it. You don't think I'm a spaz because you like me. It's the same reason I think you being shy is hot and not annoying or whatever other people say."

I blinked at him, eyes wide and face pale. "A-Annoying?"

Zell's smile faded. "Crap. Sally, I only wanted to..." He released a deep breath as he adjusted his hold around me. "What the hell's wrong with me?"

I looked away. I could almost feel Zell watching my face as I stared out at the moon's reflection on the water.

"Sally, If being shy in front of people is who you are, then you gotta be true to that. Besides, you're not as bad as you think. It just takes you a bit to warm up to people, that's all."

I silently nodded, lowering my gaze to the sand near us.

Zell released another quick breath as he withdrew his arms to just hold my upper arms with his hands. "Sally." He waited, but I didn't look up. "Come on, Sally, let it go. People are going to think what they're going to think. I say screw 'em."

I took in a deep breath and released it slowly before looking at him. "I know," I whispered.

"But it still hurts like hell," Zell stated.

I nodded, my eyes lowering again.

"Yeah. I know." Zell brushed some hair from my face, and then he guided me into a much-needed and very tight hug. "People suck sometimes."

I sniffed, giving a slight nod as I wrapped my arms around him. "Only sometimes," I whispered.

Zell chuckled. "There ya go. Look at the bright side. Good girl."

A slight smile pushed through the hurt, and I pulled back to gaze up into his handsome face. "And I admit that I do say some things because I like you."

Zell grinned. "Fine with me." He motioned toward the water with his head. "Come on. Let's go get our feet wet."

My eyes crinkled at the corners as my lips lifted in a smile. "Okay."

Zell and I pulled off our shoes. Then he helped me to my feet, holding my hand as we made our way to the water's edge. The water occasionally tickled and pulled at the sand under our feet as we walked along. That walking along with his hand holding mine was almost too much for me to believe. After all, why would someone outgoing like Zell Dincht be attracted to a shy mouse like me? It belonged in a romance-novel storyline, not in real life.

"Zell?"

His eyes moved to examine my profile. "Yeah?"

"You're not just..." I cleared my throat. You can do this, Sally. One word at a time. "You're... uh... You really want to... go out ... right?"

"When?"

"A-Anytime." I sent him a sidelong glance.

Zell watched my expression. "I don't know if I get what you're saying," he said slowly.

I cleared my throat yet again. "Um... I... uh..."

Zell stopped walking and faced me. "Take your time, Sally."

I rubbed at my forehead with my free hand. "I just want to make sure... um... that you..."

"That I what? That I want to go out with you?" Zell examined my down-turned face. "Sally, we've already dealt with this. Did somebody mouth off earlier about something?"

"No, I... I just want to make sure..." I finally lifted my eyes to meet his gaze. "Why... No. I mean, how come..." I released a frustrated breath. "Why me?"

"Sally, come here," Zell said with a motion for me to step closer.

I cleared my throat, resisted the temptation to pull my hand from his, and stepped a smidge closer.

Zell took my other hand. I looked up to meet his intense eyes and didn't look away. "Sally, why shouldn't I go out with you? Because you stutter when you're trying to say something? Because you wear t-shirts over swimsuits? Because you don't want me to grope you?"

I flushed and lowered my gaze.

"If me wanting to go out with you is weird or whatever, so what? I know I want to get to know you a lot better. Never really wanted to do that before." Zell released a hand to hold my chin between his thumb and forefinger, lifting my gaze to meet his. "I like you, Sally. Why's that so hard to believe?"

"B-Because you're Z-Zell," I whispered, "and I'm the l-library girl."

Zell shook his head, lowering his fingers from my chin. "No, you're Sally Regal. You're my sparring partner. You're my friend. I'm Zell Dincht. I'm your sparring partner. I'm your friend. That's it. Just Zell and Sally. Just a boy and a girl who like hanging out and stuff." He watched me for a silent moment. I lowered my gaze. "Is this what had you stressed in the spa yesterday?"

"A little," I admitted in a whisper.

Zell released a deep breath. "Come here, you." He reached out and pulled me into a warm embrace. "Let's get mushy."

I reluctantly giggled.

"You've got to stop thinking you deserve a different kind of guy, Sally," Zell informed me, seriousness and Instructor-like tones resonating in his voice. "You get what you get. Me."

I hiccupped a tear. "Are you sure I'm not sleeping?" I whispered.

Zell chuckled and pulled back, smiling down into my face with twinkling eyes. "I could toss you into the water to prove it."

I giggled, raising my hands to wipe the tears from my face. "I know you would, too. Please don't."

"Only because you been crying." Zell wiped another tear from my face. Then he lowered his head to place two gentle and simple kisses on my lips. When he raised his head, he brushed a couple more tears from my cheeks. "Thanks for talking about it, Sally. I can see how hard it is for ya."

I swallowed my tears and my heart as I slightly nodded.

Zell encircled my shoulders with an arm and drew me forward along the beach. "We should probably call it a day pretty quick. Don't you have to work?"

I nodded again as I wrapped my arm around his waist. I smiled. "And you've got class."

"And we both have to work out."

I rested my head against him, closing my eyes as I walked along beside him.

Zell kissed the top of my head. "We'll give it a couple more minutes."

I reached up to entwine my fingers in the dangling hand of the arm so warm and comforting around my shoulders. "Okay," I whispered.


Chapter One .:. Back  ‡  Next .:. Chapter Three