Sephiroth by:Will Church "No!" he wanted to shout. but he was no longer in control of himself. The evil that called itself Jenova was in control. He summoned a comet and sent it hurtling into the sun. As the young star went super nova, Sephiroth bathed himself in its light. Its power, its force, energized him to levels beyond his wildest dreams. He awaited the destruction of his foolish enemies that was eminent. But it never came. A power shielded them from the full force of his fury. And then they destroyed him. Or so was thought. Deep within the Great Crater, Sephiroth hovered within the Lifestream, brooding over his final defeat. After his Jenova induced form had been beaten, he had been able to shrug off her traitorous control. He had summoned Strife's spirit to him and prepared to defeat him once and for all. As he readied for battle, he had once again underestimated his former student's abilities. Weakened from his battles before, Sephiroth was no match for Cloud's onslaught. The pain had been unbelievable as Cloud struck him time after time. The blows seemed to go on forever, and then ceased as swiftly as they'd begun. Bloody and beaten, Sephiroth's silent scream marked his passing from this world. The Lifestream claimed him, and Cloud returned to his body, triumphant. He hated that memory. He was to be God! How was it that those puny humans could have beaten him? Oh, he knew. Jenova's traitorous attempt to take over his mind, as he had done to so many. He had resisted his "mother", though, and beaten her within his mind, eradicating her power forever. The encounter had simply left him too weakened to deal with the determined heroes who opposed him. And the mysterious power that had weakened his comet.... Sephiroth angrily lashed out at his prison. When Cloud had beaten him, he had not defused into the Lifestream as everyone thought. He was merely trapped within it, unable to do anything but listen to his mind accuse him of his actions. That was to change. He reached within himself, drawing upon his last reserves of magical power. The Planet cried out in incredible agony as it tried to hold him, but to no avail. Sephiroth burst from the Lifestream, tumbling unceremoniously to the rocky ground below. He shook his head trying to clear it. His sword, the Masamune, glittered softly nearby. He picked up the black blade, feeling its power run through his veins. What now? If he exposed himself to the world now, it would mean his destruction. His twin sons were dead, he had felt that much from within the Lifestream. So was their mother; he could not rely on her help. Shinra Corporation lay in ruins, destroyed by Diamond Weapon. It was no longer run by the Shinra family; there was no need to wreck more revenge upon them. Revenge. It had been sweet, watching the look on Shinra's face when Sephiroth had stepped into the room. His sword had been dripping with the blood of the Shinra guards he'd slain on his trek up the stairs. To his credit, Shinra had recovered his cool quickly, demanding answers as to Sephiroth's whereabouts for the last five years. It was unfortunate that Sephiroth had not been in the mood for demands. Even as President Shinra pulled the pistol from his desk drawer, Sephiroth had leaped into the air, avoiding the gunfire. Then descending upon Shinra like a fallen angel, he plunged his sword through his back, pinning him to the desk. Then he had left, mere minutes before Cloud and his friends had arrived. Sephiroth's mind snapped back to the present. Cloud! The very name brought hatred welling up into his heart. The former student had beaten him twice now. And, Sephiroth was forced to admit, would beat him again. He was too weak now, a mere shadow of his former self. True, he was strong, and skilled with his blade, but he no longer possessed materia or the direct connection with the Planet he had once held. No, if he attempted to attack Cloud, he was sure of the outcome. Sephiroth screamed in frustration. His echoes reverberated throughout the cave. Then he heard another sound. . . footsteps. Heavy ones. He crouched, waiting for whatever was hunting him. Soon, the source of the footsteps came into sight. An Iron Man. Its eyes narrowed as it saw the man before it. A puny human! He would destroy it quickly. As the Iron Man's blade descended, however, Sephiroth brought up his blade with a vicious parry. The armor clad giant had a second to be amazed at the man's strength before Sephiroth's next blow cut him in half. Scornfully kicking the body away from him, Sephiroth was reminded of another time an overrated monster attacked him. The Midgar Zolem struck at him again. The blow sent him sprawling in the mud. Rage flashed in his eyes, and Sephiroth tore a dead tree from the earth. He stabbed it viciously into the beast's head, killing it instantly. He picked up his sword and continued his journey. Sephiroth sighed. He had once been a hero, but no longer. Under the influence of Jenova and his own twisted insanity, he had fallen from grace. He had killed so many, and it had all been for nothing. He did not regret the deaths, only the waste of his time. If he had become God, he would not have had to worry about that. All people would be reborn in him. But he was not God, nor would he ever be. He was a man. He had wasted those lives. Tseng, a fine capable man in his own way. Joseph Lockheart, a fool who tried to stop him. And Aeris Gainsborough. Aeris Gast. If only he had known who it was at first. He had respected Professor Gast greatly, and would have never killed his only daughter. If only she hadn't tried to stop him. If only she hadn't meant so much to Cloud. He still remembered. Cloud breaking the mental commands to kill. The Cetra completing her prayer for Holy, looking up with a smile. The shouts of Cloud's two friends, warning him. He remembered leaping from the ledge above her, falling toward her; and angel of death. It was quick, the sword slid in cleanly, she felt no pain. But her pain was not his intention. Cloud's was. The boy's scream of mental anguish was sweet music to Sephiroth. It was Cloud's fault the girl had to die. It was a fitting punishment for killing Sephiroth all those years ago. A life for a life. "You are a puppet," Sephiroth taunted as he flew off. Now, no such actions could be taken. He no longer had the power. It had been taken from him, never to return. As he looked around the cavern, Sephiroth made his decision. He had no power. Jenova was gone. His materia had been discarded long ago. He could not administer his revenge. And the voices of the past would not let him be. He would not wait to be humiliated again, to be humbled by those who had once been beneath him. Grasping the Masamune with both hands, he set the point against his chest. Without a moment's hesitation, he plunged the blade through his heart. The green glow in his eyes dimmed, and a slow smile spread over his features as his life faded.