Aeris By Ethan Gauss Gausse@aol.com The city lay at the bottom of a chasm, what must have been at one time underwater. Coral formations dotted the chasm floor, and arctic winds blew with steady, driving intensity from the great glacier to the north. The city itself rested at the foot of a massive coral formation, though there was no silhouette, the reflectiveness of the environs making light omnipresent and harsh. The arcitecture was of a distinctly marine style, what few structures were still standing having been made to resemble giant nautilus or perhaps some other exotic mollusk shell. Or, quite possibly, they WERE the actual shells of monstrous sea creatures. One might ask the builders of the city, if only they hadn't been extinct for two thousand years. That was a fact that the young man who trudged wearily toward the city bitterly regretted. If only the Cetra were still alive, none of this would be necessary. He wouldn't be grinding through knee-deep snow lugging a sword almost as tall as he was, or beating off legions of blood-thirsty monsters bent on his violent termination, or listening to the constant stream of sulfurous curses from the grizzled aeronautical engineer that marched a few yards behind him, or, most importantly, chasing after a young girl who was in the throes of delusions of grandeur. "Other guys got to have normal lives. I got stuck with a bad fantasy novel." he muttered, drawing the thick wool mantle closer over his face, trying to keep out the all-permeating windchill. "What was that, spike?" hollered Cid, the engineer, who was desperately trying to keep a cigarette lit. The young man in the lead didn't respond to the jibe at his unique hairstyle, but concentrated instead on putting one foot in front of the other. Why did fate have to draw him this lot? Abruptly, the wind died, the bitter winter chill abated to a pleastant, if stagnant, temperature. Letting the mantle fall from his face, the young man looked up to see that he was standing at the entrance to the city. Behind him, Cid stopped swearing and moved up to stand beside him, as did the young girl who walked rear of the small group. She brushed snow out of her rich brown tresses and stared, her wide blue eyes blinking slowly. "What is this place?" she asked, wonderment in her voice. Cid struck a match and lit his battered cigarette triumphantly, taking a deep pull and savoring it before responding. "Got me, Tifa. Ain't much left, is there?" The leader stared silently for a moment, then opened his mouth and gave voice the the thoughts and images that sprang into his head. "This is the capital city of the Cetra...the center of their civilization." "Capital city, eh? How the hell would you know, anyway, Cloud? What, you been here before or somethin'?" Cid asked, flicking ash off the tip of his cigarette. Cloud shook his head, and glanced sidelong at Tifa. "No. Yes. I don't know. I know what it is but I'm certain I've never been here before...I don't understand it either, all I'm concerned with is finding Aeris and getting her somewhere safe. Sephiroth cannot be far behind us." He started walking again, and Cid shrugged and followed, puffing contentedly. Tifa gazed around a moment longer, then jogged forward to walk beside Cloud. "What keeps it warm?" she asked, pulling off the foxfur cloak she wore. Cloud looked up at the overcast sky above them, and then back to her. "Some leftover remants of the Cetra's magic, most likely. They must have been able to survive in virtually any environment, which explains why they would build a city at the bottom of a sea...but why would they choose such an inhospitable northern clime when there were much more temperate zones southward?" "Maybe they preferred the cold. Or maybe it wasn't always cold here. Who knows?" she replied, kicking at a piece of coral. It clattered with a muted sound down the chalky white thoroughfare, and Cloud sighed. "Yes. Who knows. Who knows what motivated the Cetra. Who knows what motivates Sephiroth, or what possibly could have motivated Aeris to place herself in diametric opposition to that megalomanical fanatic. Before we were just a nuisance, and at least then we were together. Now she's made herself into a very serious threat to whatever he's planning, and what's more, she's alone. He's completely consumed by Jenova, or maybe it's the other way around...I still can't decide who's ultimately pulling the strings, though I suspect it's Sephiroth...his "mother" must just have been the catalyst that drove him insane five years ago...the seed that grew into an idea..." He trailed off on his tangent, and looked at Tifa, who was staring at him strangely. "You don't know what's motivating him? It sure sounds like you've got him figured out!" "I...I'm not sure...I knew him during the war, at least I thought I did...I can't explain it, sometimes I just know things for certain. It's kind of like intuition." "Pretty damn enigmatic intuition, spike." Cid chimed in. Casting him an irritated glance, Cloud turned back to Tifa. "Anyway...I can't for the life of me figure out what Aeris was thinking. She's half crazy, no, entirely crazy herself if she thinks she can stop Sephiroth alone." "She's an Ancient, Cloud, a Cetra. She's of their blood, probably the last Ancient there is. She's the only person who can stop him. She knew what she was doing, she knew the risk she was taking. Besides, once we find her, Sephiroth will have to come through us, first," at that she slammed her fist into her palm, "and I'd be more than happy to re-arrange his Jenova." Cid gave a short bark of laughter, and even Cloud smiled a little. Something about Tifa, no matter how dire the circumstances, she was always able to lighten his heart. She was direct, uncomplicated, frank and straightforward. Aeris, on the other hand, was another matter entirely. She was as mysterious as her heritage, last member of a lost race of seekers, mystical and deeper than any still water. Sometimes, when he looked into her eyes, he could see the possibilities of infinity, the very fabric of the universe... And now, that sometimes quiet, sometimes loud young woman had sequestered herself in the ancient capital of her erstwhile race, determined to prevent the maniacal Sephiroth from gaining access to the weapon he seeked, a weapon that would cripple the planet horrendously, meteor. Sephiroth would become a God, holding dominion over everything that had ever lived. And the only thing that stood in his way was a young woman, twenty-two years of age, and her determination to keep meteor out of his grasp. Cloud shook his head, praying silently to a God he did not believe in that he could help her. He looked down as his feet scuffed onto rougher ground, and found that the thoroughfare had ended, that they were beyond the northern boundries of the derelict city. A worn path led north through a coral forest, and with a backward glance at Tifa and Cid, Cloud set his shoulders and marched down it, the others in tow. It was a long path, for by the time they could see the end the beginning was no longer in sight. The end of the path glowed brightly, and when they emerged into it, they were forced to blink away the sudden dazzle of light that was streaming down from above on an opalescent structure. It was of a similar, if somewhat more grandiose design as the others, a tall spiraling shell resting in the middle of a crystal blue pond. Cloud looked around himself for a moment, then stepped forward and peered down into the depths of the water. It was startlingly clear, but just the same he could not see the bottom, even right off the shore it was a straight drop into infinity. The air around him was warm, but the pool radiated coldness, a deep, bone-chilling cold. And what was more, he could almost taste the palpable power radiating from it. It must be an upwelling, he realized, a spring coming from the lifestream. Funny, he thought, I'd always pictured it to be warm... "Cloud?" It was Tifa. "We should keep moving...we're not even sure Aeris is in here." "She's here." Cid snorted. "More of your intuition?" "She's here." Cloud said with a note of finality. Cid shrugged, pulled a cigarrette out of the pack he kept under the band of his flying goggles, and rapped it against the back of his wrist. Cloud moved on around the shore of the pond, almost dream-like, the certainty of his course of action driving him on. His compatriots could only follow him, the aura of ancientness and history about the place muting their conversation into non-existence, which was fine by Cloud. He realized the situation they were in, the danger Aeris was in, and he saw bleak things in the future. They followed the shore to the bridge that led off to the structure, and though it was several millenia old, it showed no signs of aging, nor did the structure itself. Cloud, driven on by his sense of urgency, verily flew across it, striding purposefully, much to Cid's discontent. The entrance to the building was an open archway, for there was no door. The archway itself was carved with simple pictographs depicting the globe and people and a river running between the two. Cloud barely glanced at them, moving directly on through it and into the interior. It was unremarkable, coral arrangements here and there, but no furnishings to speak of. The walkway continued right from the bridge into the interior and spiraled gently upward around the interior for a total of three stories. Cloud took a moment to unsheath the massive sword strapped to his back before beginning to climb, his sharp eyes observing every detail. Halfway up the spiral, there was a break in the railing that prevented one from falling down the shaft in the middle of the structure, a break that was the very top of a crystal staircase. Cloud paused, and placed a foot expiramentally on the top step, to find it firm despite its transparency. Without a backward glance, he began to descend the stairs, his footsteps thumping with unnatural loudness against the stairs, sending reverberating ringings into the cavern below. As he crept further down the stairs, he could see where he was going. It was a massive cavern, so large that it could have easily fit the city above into it and had room for a few more. Indeed, it did hold a city, of sorts, a tall tower-like structure, all surrounded by a broken crystal wall. "Cloud..." whispered Tifa from behind him, and knowledge choked into his mind, thoughts and ideas and images that confused and scared him. "The lifesteam...calamity from the sky, must flee...no, the Earth is turning from...Run! Jeno...the Earth must repair itself, it will become cold...go, Ifalna, before it's too la...NOOOO!" "Cloud!" came Tifa's voice through the haze that obscured his vision, and the stream of foreign words that came from his mouth stopped. He dropped to his knees, and groaned, clutching his head. He felt Tifa drop down beside him and encircle his shoulders with her arms, hugging him tight. "Cloud...are you okay? Cloud?" "Yeah...Tifa...I'm okay, now..." he said, his eyes clearing and his mind focusing on his mission again. Tifa did not notice that his eyes, green tinted from his exposure long ago to Mako energy, were flaring bright green. He stood, as much as brushed her aside, and continued to the bottom of the staircase. Before them was a white stone promenade, yards in every direction. They stood above it, on a balcony. Behind them was the crystal staircase, before them was a stone staircase leading down onto the promenade. Cloud strode purposefully to the top of the staircase, and descended it, the anxious Tifa and the bewildered Cid in tow. At the bottom, he looked up. Across a small expanse of water, kneeling on a circular stone altar, was Aeris. She was in an attitude of prayer, hands clasped and head lowered. Cloud paused, then turned to face his compatriots. "Wait here. This is something I've got to do alone." he stated firmly, his eyes meeting Tifa's. She opened her mouth to protest, but then fell silent, and lowered her eyes. Cid layed a hand on her shoulder and gave Cloud a less-than-friendly look. "Do what you've gotta do, Cloud. Just remember who's side you're on." he grated, his eyes flashing dangerously. Cloud turned, ignoring the subtle threat, and leapt onto a wood piling that stood from the water. He paused, then leapt from piling to piling until he stood at the base of the stone altar. Taking the short steps three at a time, he at last stood before Aeris. His driving purpose abated for a moment, and he looked at her. She was indeed heart-stoppingly beautiful, as exquisite as a porceilin doll. He hadn't been able to place the feelings that had grown inside him for her, that had begun to grow since that day, it seemed so long ago, that she had asked him to be her bodyguard...he had promised, and that was why he had come now, when she was in her greatest danger. But there was something more. She had said she was searching for him, that she wanted to meet him, and he had protested that he was sitting right across from her, that she knew him. She had only shook her head, looked into his eyes and said she wanted to meet him. He hadn't understood...didn't understand...but he began to realize with striking clarity that he loved this woman, loved her intensely. It was a new sensation to him, but his desire to protect her stemmed from a deeper source than any simple pledge. Then why was he holding his sword? He had put it away when they had reached this city underground...why had he drawn it a moment ago? He shook his head, trying to clear it, trying to remember why. He took a step forward, closer to her, and found that he had lifted the sword over his head, his muscles bunched in preparation to strike. Strike Aeris? No! He had come to save her, not kill her...what was he doing? He tried to reach out to her, but the only response was for him to slice downward with his sword, at frightening speed, a strike that would have split Aeris nearly down the middle... "Cloud! Don't do it, Cloud!" He checked his swing, mere inches from Aeris's bowed head. Tifa's voice had shaken him, made him realize his actions. Desperately, he forced his fingers apart and flung the sword aside, sending it skittering across the stone away from him. He reached out to touch Aeris, but he could not make his limbs function. He could only watch helplessly. Slowly, she lifted her head to look at him. Her wide, green eyes blinked once, then sparkled with recognition. Her lips curved into a happy smile, as if to say...Cloud's here...everything will be okay, now...my protector is here... Cloud felt more than heard the tumble of loose rocks from far above. It clattered down to land around Aeris and he, and he felt a growing sense of dread as he looked up. Silhouetted against the bright point of light from the surface was a shape. A shape with long, flowing white hair, and an impossibly long sword, a silhouette Cloud knew all too well. Sephiroth. Cloud tried to cry out, but his voice was frozen in his throat. He could hear muffled curses behind him as his friends struggled up to get to him, but he knew they were too late. Aeris's time had run out. He saw Sephiroth fall, saw him descend downward. In his fervered mind, it seemed so slow, such a gentle descent. Sephiroth held his great sword blade down as he fell, his hair streaming behind him and a look of maniacal triumph on his handsome features. And as suddenly as it had begun, it was over. Sephiroth's feet met the stone altar, and the sword slid cleanly into Aeris's back, severing her spine cleanly and emerging from her stomach, three feet of steel sliding through her body so that the point brushed Cloud's thigh. Aeris slumped forward over the blade, her eyes wide with shock. No blood flowed from the wound, so sharp was the sword. Her heart had stopped instantaneously. Cloud found himself back in control of his own body, and an anguished choked cry came from his throat as he dropped to his knees. Sephiroth, grinning sadistically, slowly withdrew the sword from Aeris's limp body, letting it slump forward into Cloud's arms. Her vibrant eyes, so full of life and the love of it, met Cloud's. He gazed back, his heart hammering in his chest, threatening to choke him. He watched as the light slowly faded from her beautiful emerald orbs, and her lids closed. She drew one last breath, then slowly let it out and grew still. Cloud held her close to him in his strong arms, anguish welling up and spilling from his lips in a tormented cry of grief and loss that echoed from the walls of the city. Sephiroth's scornful chuckle broke through the air, and Cloud looked up, hatred twisting his features. Sephiroth's eyes burned with a fanatical glee, his face illuminated with an unholy light. "You don't have to pretend you're sad, Cloud. And don't bother pretending you're angry. It may fool your feeble friends, but you have no secrets from me." the tall man hissed. "Shut up. You don't know a damn thing, you're not even human anymore. Whatever you once were, I can see the aura of Jenova around you, crackling in the air, a blackness...but I don't think Jenova is the evil, you bastard...it's you. It was always you. You want to play God, you think you can destroy people along the way, anyone you wish...you know nothing of my anguish...my heart is racing, my mouth is dry, my hands are shaking...I feel so much loss...I loved her, Sephiroth, and you took that from me..." he looked up from her still form, and the malevolent hatred that crystallized in his eyes made Sephiroth blink. He shook his head, and laughed again, floating upward into the air. "Well played, Cloud...you almost had me believing you...but I know you aren't capable of true emotion...because..." his voice trailed off as he shot upward, out of sight. #Because you are a puppet.# The voice drifted down to him, came from all directions, pounded into his brain with gale-force intensity. It was dry and old, hideous and evil and filled with dark intent. It was the voice of Jenova. And as soon as it had come, the vile presence left his mind, leaving him cold and alone and afraid. "I...am...what am...I...?" he murmured, holding Aeris's body close. He pushed his doubt aside and rose to his feet, cradling the limp shape in his arms. He brushed past the quietly crying Tifa, and past Cid, whose face was haggard and grey. He stepped across the pilings, then across the promenade and up the stairs. His feet moved of their own accord, he knew, knew what he had to do...he carried her up the steps and out of the structure at their top. He crossed the bridge, and at last came to a stop at the edge of the frigid pond. The pond glowed a crystal blue, humming with the power that was part of the lifestream. Without thinking, Cloud waded out into the water. When he stepped off the shore, he sank into the water up to his hips, his feet meeting with something solid. He looked down, and saw that he was standing on nothing, the water spiraled downward into fathomless depths, but somehow, he wasn't sinking. Looking forward, he waded out to the center of the pond, Aeris's body barely having any weight in his arms. Once he reached the center, he stopped, and lifted his face to the light that streamed down from a break in the coral above, bathing him in its luminescence, and hugged Aeris close to him. He rested her body gently on the surface of the water, folding her hands over the wound in her stomach. No blood had flown from her, and as he looked at her, it was as if she were merely sleeping, her face peaceful. He gazed at her for a long time, then bent down, touching his lips to hers. In the icy waters, her skin felt warm, almost as if she were alive...his grief threatening to choke him, Cloud straightened, a single tear rolling down his cheek to land on hers. "Goodbye, Aeris. I'll always love you." he whispered, and released her body from his arms. She floated on the water for a moment, then slowly sank beneath the surface, the waters drawing her into their embrace. He watched her as she drifted down. Her hair fanned out around her as she descended into the bosom of the earth, until at last she dissapeared from view. Cloud longed with every fiber of his being to follow her, to forget this life and the pain, the struggle and conflict. But now his love for her was slowly being replaced by another driving force, a need that rose into his throat like burning gall, the reason he made himself go on. Revenge.