Chapter Ten: The Marriage of Figaro

April in Suthernarshe County, the wide valley that extended from the city of Narshe south to the desert, was a warm spring month. The area was a temperate and lovely place, protected both from the heat of the desert that lay to its south, and from the snowy cold that covered Narshe and its environs to the north.

The great estate of the Earl of Suthernarshe was abuzz, for the entire family would be traveling in the morning to Figaro Castle. The Earl's only daughter was to be married to King Edgar within the week. The bride's mother, the Countess Alexandra, sniffled and delicately dabbed at her eyes with a silk handkerchief as she and three maids sorted and packed her daughter's belongings for what would be a permanent move to her new home. Lady Selena Suthernarshe herself was in the drawing room with six of her friends, laughing and playing cards. The girls were to be Selena's bridal attendants and would be traveling with the Suthernarshe family in the morning. The girls giggled and gossiped more than they usually did, as if they all knew that their time as carefree teenagers was growing short.

There was a light rap at the parlor's wide double doors, and Jerrold, the family's butler, stepped into the room.

"Begging pardon, Lady Selena," he said deferentially. "His Lordship would see you. In his study." The butler bowed slightly and backed out the door, closing it after him. Selena covered her mouth, amusement lighting her eyes.

"Papa wants to have a serious talk with me. Do you suppose..." All the girls laughed naughtily. Selena excused herself.

"I won't be long." she said over her shoulder. With a rustle of silk and a whisper of velvet slippers, Selena walked quickly to her father's study.

"Yes, father." she said, closing his door.

"Sit down, my dear." Lord Bertrand said, gesturing to a divan. Leaning back in his chair and puffing on his pipe, the Earl regarded his daughter for a moment. "Well," he began. "You're a mere eighteen years old, and by this time next week I shall be required to bow in your presence!" Selena said nothing, and Lord Bertrand nodded. "I am proud of you, Selena, you've made me proud and happy. Always have done. Never said it enough, I suppose, but it's always been true. I shall miss you when you're gone." He looked out the window onto the grounds. "I shan't miss these infernal King's guards being everywhere I look, however." He turned his attention back to his daughter. "And I just want to tell you how glad I am of your match. Not only because he's the King, dear, but you know, he's a rather decent sort. He came to the throne quite young but he's done a good job of it. And that group of Resistance fighters he belongs to, well, they are really a very admirable lot, and Edgar is no less than a bona fide hero. I only mention this because I think you have a chance not only to make a fortunate marriage to a king, but to be happy as well with a good man." Selena listened respectfully, and she understood that her father was speaking of character. He wanted Selena to go into her marriage with an open heart. But he didn't have to worry about that. Edgar's kiss was clear and fresh in Selena's memory and it had ended too soon. She couldn't wait to see Edgar again. She looked down at her hand, watching the emerald betrothal ring glint green in the light.

"Yes, Papa," she said. "Don't worry about me. I'll be fine."

"I hope so, my daughter." the Earl replied. Selena stood and leaned to kiss her father's cheek.

----------------------------------------

On the afternoon before the King's wedding, Celes and Terra once again strolled arm in arm through one of Figaro Castle's beautiful gardens.

"I have such a strong feeling of deja vu," said Celes. "It wasn't so long ago that we walked here, you and I, and I told you that happiness would come to you someday." Celes leaned her head against Terra's. "It's someday!" she sang. Terra smiled, pulling Celes close alongside her.

"Last time, you were with child," Terra began. Celes nodded. "And this time, it's me." Celes stopped suddenly, wide-eyed, mouth agape.

"No!"

"Yes." said Terra, her eyes shining. Celes threw her arms wide, laughing warmly, and enveloped Terra in a great bearhug.

"Oh, Terra!" cried Celes. "I couldn't be happier, darling. When?"

"All Hallow's Eve." replied Terra.

"Well," said Celes. "You're a wonderful mother, and now you are going to experience having one of your own, with the man you love. There is nothing on earth that will fill your heart more. How is Lucian handling it?"

"Oh, he's thrilled to say the least," said Terra, continuing to walk. "When we were first married, I wasn't sure how he was going to handle having all those kids of mine around, but he seems to be fine with it. I don't think he's a total natural with children, the way Locke is, but he's loving and patient and protective and dependable. I don't think you can ask for more than that. And," Terra continued, "this 'honeymoon' baby came as a surprise to both of us, this soon. But we're both very happy. It's only been a few months, but he seems to have adjusted very easily to life in Mobliz." Celes watched her friend with a knowing grin.

"He would have adjusted to life in Zozo, if it meant being with you, Terra," Celes said. "The man's in love!" Terra laughed and patted Celes' hand.

"And so am I, Celes, at long last. So am I!"

-----------------------------------------

Dinner in the Great Hall of Figaro Castle was a festive affair. It was the first time the Returners had gathered together since Terra's rescue in January, and it was the evening before the chronically single King Edgar would become a bridegroom. There were several large tables filled with the blue-blooded friends and family of the Royal House of Figaro, and of the Noble House of Suthernarshe. The Returners sat together at one table, and King Edgar and his young fiancee sat at that one. Prince Sabin and his bride, Princess Rowena, also sat with the rest of the Returners. The King and his brother were not believers in blood being thicker than water, not when it came to the Returners.

Selena had only seen Edgar twice since her arrival the morning before, at dinner last night and now, at dinner tonight. He had been charming and attentive each time, but she had rather hoped for a minute alone with him. She had been so reserved the last time they were together, and she wanted to tell him that she had been thinking of him, that she had worried while he was off risking his life in Tzen, that she felt proud of him for his work there, and that she looked forward to their wedding. She wanted reassurance that he still looked forward as well. But, he had not sought a private moment with her, and so tonight she sat opposite him at this long table, miles away, feeling anxious and longing for him. Unwilling to be obvious, she watched him under her lashes, as she made conversation with Setzer Gabbiani and his lady friend, Marceline de Leone. Selena found Setzer charming and funny, and her father, Lord Bertrand, had done business with the wealthy de Leones of Jidoor, and so Selena had some common ground with which to converse with this couple. Twice, she thought that Edgar might have caught her looking at him, and she had felt a warmth rush to her face. She hoped she had not blushed. She did not want him to think her behavior common.

At the other side of the table, Leander sat alongside Relm. He had had to sneak into the hall before the other guests and switch placecards. He sat where Strago was to have sat. Strago had given him a knowing smile when he saw the seating arrangements. The old man wasn't stupid. But, thank the stars, he didn't make a big deal out of it. Leander, holding Relm's hand under the table, asked Strago if he had any plans to visit South Figaro in the near future. Strago only shrugged, a twinkle in his eyes.

"Well, what about you, Locke?" Leander said. "I'll bet there are scads of cool treasures just waiting for us, uh, you and your team to find in Thamasa!"

"Maybe, Leander, we'll see." Locke replied. Locke watched Leander another moment, then added, "I see you've mastered the first art of the Knight in Shining Armor: learning to eat single-handed." Everyone at the table laughed. Relm, blushing and laughing too, squeezed Leander's hand.

Sabin stood holding his glass.

"I owe an apology." he said, looking down at his wife. "I had trust issues with my dear wife, because she comes from a town that lies within Imperial territory. But tonight, we sit here on this happy occasion in the company of our beloved friend Terra, only because of the character and heart of two people who come from Imperial territory. I wish to propose a toast to trust, and to my lovely wife, Princess Rowena, and to our worthy friend, Lucian Avalonius. We owe you both a great debt. Long life!"

"Long life!" the others echoed, and all tipped their glasses and drank. Rowena stood, and she held her glass high.

"I too owe an apology." she said. "I wished only to see the destruction of my enemy, the Empire. I too was blinded by mistrust. While I was stranded on a mountain ledge, two people who hail from the Imperial capitol city of Vector, both of whom served in the Imperial army, risked their lives to do the job I sought to do, and proved themselves to be true friends and allies. I wish us all to drink to Lucian Avalonius and Celes Cole. Long Life!"

"Long Life!" everyone called. Lucian stood.

"You have all been very generous to me, and I thank you. I hope that you will all be my true friends as you have always been to my beloved Terra, and that you know you can count on my friendship as well. Your Majesty, I especially wish to thank you for offering me safe harbor in your realm. I am your loyal and humble servant. Much happiness to you and to your lovely bride on this joyous occasion!"

"Here, here!" sang out the Returners. Cyan stood.

"Your Majesty. My wish for you, Sire, is that you and your beautiful Lady Selena find the happiness I found with my wife and son. Long Life to you, King Edgar!" The Returners stood, glasses raised high, and cheered.

Edgar nodded, beaming. Looking at everyone standing and cheering, he happily noted that, once again, Selena was watching him. His ploy seemed to have worked. It appeared that she wanted him more than ever.

--------------------------------------

It was only mid-evening, but most of the guests had repaired to their suites in anticipation of the long day ahead. The Royal Wedding was to take place in the late morning, to be followed by a celebration that would last three days at least. Whenever King Edgar had thought about how he might feel during these last hours of bachelorhood, he had imagined himself pacing his private parlor, wringing his hands and perspiring, struggling with doubt. But the time had come, and he found himself anxious only to see Selena.

He had kept himself distant from her since her arrival. When he had proposed to her, her heart had been divided, he could tell. During their separation, he had kept informed of her well-being through Cyan and his guards that he had posted around the Suthernarshe estate for Selena's protection. Cyan had reported that Her Ladyship seemed to him to be pining a bit, perhaps missing her King? The Earl himself had written to Edgar that Selena seemed more than accustomed to the idea of her coming marriage. Edgar took these as an encouraging signs, then, when he finally saw her again upon her arrival at Figaro Castle, he could see that she had indeed missed him. She had blushed slightly, and held his eyes, which he found charming. But, one must fan the flames of desire, he knew, and the best way to do that was to stay a bit out of reach. Judging from her behavior tonight, Edgar thought, the fire was at its peak. He knew his was, that was for certain. Thank the Stars the wedding was tomorrow!

Edgar had decided that there would be no harm in saying good night to her. He really couldn't stand it another minute. He wanted a moment with her before the wedding tomorrow, when they would be surrounded by well-wishers the entire day. His next chance to be alone with her would not be until tomorrow evening, and he did not want to wait that long. So, instead of retiring to the royal suite, he strode to the wing where she and her family were situated. It was easy to tell her suite from the rest; two of his guards were posted outside her door. Ignoring them, he rapped lightly. Selena's lady's maid opened the door slightly, and when she saw that it was Edgar, she smiled conspiratorially at him. She stepped backward, clearing the way in. The parlor was empty.

"Someone to see you, Your Ladyship," the maid called toward the bedchamber. "The King himself, Miss!" Selena appeared at the bedchamber door. Smiling widely, she entered the parlor.

"That will be all, Hannah." said Selena, dismissing her. "Edgar. How lovely of you to come and see me." Hannah hurried down a short hallway to one of the two maids rooms the suite offered. She closed the door. Edgar walked to the middle of the room and bowed.

"Selena. You seem well tonight. I feared that you might be nervous and unable to sleep."

"Yes," she answered. "I am a little."

"I hope you're not having second thoughts!" laughed Edgar.

"No!" she quickly replied. "Oh, no. Nothing at all like that." Selena's heart was beating a bit fast. "I just, well, the party tomorrow. I shall have to be on my best behavior all day, and I'm not certain I'm up to it."

"I am heartened to hear it!" Edgar teased, smiling. This time, Selena did blush.

"Well, I meant that I won't have any opportunity to dance. I won't feel free to just have fun. Everyone will be staring at me and expecting me to behave like a queen." Selena felt she was rambling. She had never been so nervous around a man. Her breath caught as Edgar slowly approached her. He put an arm around her waist. She tipped her face up to his, closed her eyes, and pursed her lips. Edgar looked down at her, a sparkle of amusement in his eyes. He took her right hand with his left.

"Let's dance now." he whispered. Leaning his cheek against hers, he began to hum softly in her ear, moving her back and forth in a slow waltz step. She moved with him, putting her free arm up about his shoulders and lightly stroking the hair at the back of his neck.

"Why have you stayed away?" she breathed, her eyes closed. "Why haven't you come to see me?"

"I have come to see you." he replied softly, still moving her back and forth, back and forth.

"Have you missed me?" she asked.

"Of course I have." he answered tenderly. He stopped and stepped back. "Yes, my lovely one, I have missed you, every moment. And now, I must take my leave of you. Tomorrow comes soon, and you need your rest. You will be a queen tomorrow, ready or not." He bent to kiss her hand, and moved to the door. As he neared it, Selena called out to him.

"Edgar!" He turned, and she ran to him, arms outstretched, all pretense of reserve gone. Laughing as she reached him, he gathered her into his arms and lifted her off the floor, spinning her round and round, tilting his head up to kiss her, the two turning and embracing, locked in a rising passion. Slowly, he lowered her to her feet and moved his lips to her chin, her cheek, her temple, her forehead, and again, her mouth. He ran his hands along her arms, and bringing her palms up to his face, he softly kissed them, each in turn.

"Tomorrow, beautiful Selena," he said, his voice low and sweet. "Tomorrow, my love." He stepped back from her, flushed and breathless, then turned and went out the door. Selena stood, unmoving, her lips and hands tingling from his kisses.

"Tomorrow, Edgar." she whispered, reaching out to touch the closed door. "Tomorrow."

-----------------------------------------

The sun stood high in a blue sky, a sweet spring breeze freshening the warm air. Throngs of people crowded the castle courtyard awaiting the appearance of their newly married King Edgar and excited to get a glimpse of his young queen. Friends and family of the couple filed through the hallways adjoining the castle's throne room, where the Bishop awaited to conduct the wedding ceremony.

By the King's command, the Returners were seated together towards the front of the room, a place of great honor, ahead of even highly ranked noblemen. Only Sabin and Rowena, and Selena's parents and brothers were seated ahead of them. Celes sat alongside Locke, Lance on her lap, her arm draped lightly around Locke's shoulders. Locke bounced Gabriel in his arms, keeping him occupied with a brightly colored toy. Terra and Lucian, amidst their kids, sat holding hands, as did Leander and Relm, and Setzer and Marceline. Cyan stood at the front of the room. Edgar had given him the privilege of standing as best man for him, showing the world that Cyan was far more to the King than just an advisor. Gau nudged Strago, pointing ahead to a doorway at the front.

Edgar emerged with several attendants. The Returners were taken aback to see him, so used as they were to simply thinking of him as their friend, Edgar, and casually calling him by his first name. For today, he was the King from head to toe, and splendid to behold. Edgar was not in the habit of wearing a crown in his daily life, and his friends had never seen him in one. This day, he wore a great, gleaming crown of gold on his head, and was richly cloaked in purple velvet, a scarlet sash crossing his white tunic from right shoulder to left hip, affixed with the crest of the Royal House of Figaro. An attendant behind him carried a smaller, pearl-encrusted crown on a pillow of red silk, the queen's crown. Edgar stood tall and commanding and did not betray an ounce of fear at his imminent nuptials. When he and his entourage had settled at the front of the room, six trumpeters raised their instruments high and began to play a rousing announcement.

All the guests turned, craning to see the back of the room. Skye and Cherry Cole, wearing white organdy with pink sashes and carrying beribboned baskets of rose petals, began to come forward down the center aisle of the throne room, casting petals as they came. They were followed by one of Terra's boys standing as ring-bearer, wearing formal attire and proudly holding a velvet pillow high ahead of him. Then everyone gasped in awe. Lady Selena Suthernarshe, glowing and beautiful in white, appeared at the door on Lord Bertrand's arm, and slowly began to advance toward the front of the room. Her long train was carried by her six attendants. Slowly she came, smiling from side to side, then looked at Edgar with a tender expression. Edgar's eyes shone as he watched her. Locke turned to Celes, the memory of their own wedding written in his eyes.

"She's nearly as beautiful as you were." he whispered, and Celes leaned her head on his shoulder, smiling.

The bridal couple knelt together before the Bishop, exchanging vows, and when the time came, Cyan turned to the young ring-bearer and handed Selena's golden wedding band to Edgar. The Bishop pronounced the two husband and wife before God and His Congregation, but everyone in the room remained silent, for this was the wedding of a King and the ceremony was not quite over. There was one more ritual to observe. Cyan turned to the attendant who held the red silk pillow and carefully removed the pearly crown that had been worn by Edgar and Sabin's mother, Queen Esmerelda of Figaro. Edgar took it, and smiling lovingly at Selena, gently placed it on her head, saying, "I crown thee Selena, Queen of Figaro." Then he bent to kiss her. As he took her hand and the two turned to face the crowd of guests, a cheer went up in the room, and seconds after, a deafening roar could be heard from outside, as the citizens of Figaro received the news that they had a new Queen.

Edgar walked Selena down the aisle of the throne room and out to the terrace, to give her people their first look at their Queen. Edgar and Selena smiled out at the throng and waved. The people cheered loudly "Long Live the King and Queen!" and tossed paper and streamers high in the air, laughing wildly with joy and splashing wine on one another. Their King was much beloved as he had brought them safety from the Empire, and prosperity throughout the land. The people had much to celebrate. Large baskets of breads and fruits and trays of roasted meats, and great kegs of wine and ale began to be carried from the castle to the citizens outside. The wedding guests inside began to make their way to the castle's Great Hall, where musicians and food and drink awaited them. The days' long celebration of the wedding of their King had begun.

THE END

cobradov@twcny.rr.com