Reporters and showgoers at the recent Tokyo Game Show had the opportunity to decide the winners of the 6th annual CESA Game Awards. The victors for this year have been announced and it seems clear that the popularity of RPGs in Japan is not shrinking one iota. In fact, the game of the year is none other than Square's recent runaway hit, Final Fantasy X.
The list of winning RPGs is listed below. The main category is composed of games released between January 2001 and March 2002, while the Game Awards Future category is a little different. The winners are based on the preview builds that were on hand at the Tokyo Game Show, and as such, they can basically be seen as an indication of the most promising games avaiable in the near future.
Grand Prize Award
- Final Fantasy X, Square, PlayStation 2
Game Awards Future
- Kingdom Hearts, Square, PS2
- Unlimited Saga, Square, PS2
- Sakura Taisen 5, Sega, PS2
- Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time, Enix, PS2
- Tales of Destiny 2, Namco, PS2
- Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2, Sega, Xbox
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Square, Game Boy Advance