A Piece of Me

By Calis Cheah

sigrd@hotmail.com

 

Author’s note: This fic contains parts that could be possible spoilers so if you have not beaten the game, I wouldn’t suggest reading too much into the story. Anyway, explanations and comments would be given at the end. Credit goes to Amber Michelle for the generous use of Igraine and the Tri-Element idea from her fantastic story "Shadows Falling", which you may want to read as a cross-reference to both our fics. Enjoy!

 

Part One: City In The Sky

 

 " Visages of a distant dream,

Fading so swiftly from memory.

Entwined with the present,

Lie the pieces of a forgotten past… "

 

  There was only the sound of dripping water. Drop by drop, a bare trickle. Suspended in space, she was enfolded by darkness. Lulled by the gentle splashing sound just like a mother’s soft lullaby, she slept quietly. She knew no concept of time, for in the darkness there was no beginning or end. It was the world she knew and she was one with it, belonging together.

  She was adrift in peaceful slumber when like a crystal sphere, her world of darkness shattered. Without any comprehension, she was plunged into unforgiving light. White burning light seared her eyes and pierced into her body, ripping her apart. She wanted to scream her pain and confusion but she was stifled.

  She could not breathe. There was no air.

  She was suffocating, her lungs labored desperately yet failing her.

  She could not breathe.

  She could not breathe…


  Reya bolted erect from her bed, drenched in sweat. Her long dark hair tangled and twisted with the sheets. She was shaking, awaken violently by the nightmare that had plagued her as a child. So many years yet it was still the same, just as clear and vivid as it was yesterday. She had always woken up in tears, crying hysterically while Igraine hugged her close, comforting her. Her reoccurring dreams had been the main reason why Igraine had insisted in sharing her room when they were children.

  Igraine…My sister in soul.

  If only I could have been more like you then perhaps he would have…

  Brushing away a damp strand of hair away from her eyes, Reya took a deep breadth to calm her still racing heart. There was neither warmth nor any comfort the cold stark, unadorned walls of her room offered her. A small morose smile touched her lips.

   And I thought I should be used to this by now.

  She had been living alone ever since Krelian had sent Igraine to the Church for her education and Kahr away to Jugend. All by herself, in the living quarters in his Lab. Reya knew Igraine had begged Krelian to let her stay but this was one matter that he had not relented. It had resulted in a big argument between them before Igraine finally admitted defeat bitterly and she was perplexed as to why Reya had not uttered a single word of protest nor had she asked Krelian to let her remain. Reya had not done so because out of the three of them, she knew Krelian best. His decisions were always final and no amount of persuasion could sway him once his mind was made up. Both Igraine and Kahr had clung to her, stubbornly refusing to let her go while Krelian stood behind them, an impassive figure. All he said was one single word as he pulled them apart.

  " Go."

  And the portal slid shut, baring them from view.


  " Could you not stay, just for another night? I know we had an agreement but how can you bear to just leave me? Hmmm…Sigurd? "

  Jana pouted seductively as she traced a playful finger down his bare chest. Pushing her hands gently away, Sigurd rose from the bed they had shared and stretched sensually, drawing an appreciative purr from his Gazel lover.

  " Sorry Jana, I won't be seeing you again. It has been a great pleasure but I guess this is goodbye. " Sigurd regarded her almost quietly as he put on the uniform that identified him as a Jugend student.

  " Seems that the rumors I heard are true then. They say you never have a relationship longer than a month. Such a pity…Now if only you can stay faithful to one woman… " Jana sighed, sounding a little regretful as she drew on a flimsy gown that left very little to imagination.

  " Perhaps, I would be if I found the right woman, faithful that is. " 

  " The right woman? She'll indeed be very special if she can hold that philandering heart of yours. Come, join me. " She pressed a gleaming glass of rich amber liquid into his hand.

  " You should know that I don’t drink. "

  " Please, Sigurd. Just think of it as a goodbye toast to what we had. Humor me for the last time? It's only one glass. " Jana entreated inexorably, a plead in her hazel eyes.

  " For the last time then… "

 


 

  Alone…

  She had always been alone.

  Even with them, there was still a lingering sense of separation.

  She did not belong; her place was not with them.

  That was how she always felt.

  All desire for sleep abated by her nightmare, Reya rose and changed from her damp nightdress into a simple shirt and pants. Pausing briefly to pick up her sword, her only constant companion, she headed out.

  Besides Krelian, she was the only other living being staying at the Lab. The Lambs might have qualified as living when they arrived at the facility but once the doors slid shut behind their backs, they were as good as dead. Knowing full well about some of the experiments that went on behind these walls, Reya felt sick to her soul yet there was nothing she could do. Many of those send into the labs were usually offenders that had dared oppose the system. Yet it was too terrible a price to pay for a little defiance.

  Her footfalls rang eerily as she walked through the winding corridors, echoing like an ominous peal in a tomb. The Lab and the adjoining Research Facility seemed constructed entirely of steel emanating a sense of detachment, stoicism and indifference. Still, lifeless, dispiriting without any source of warmth. It was a place of death.

  Reya unconsciously took a deep breath as she emerged into Upper Etrenank. The air even seemed to be fresher outside the confines of his domain. Unaware of where she was going, simply letting her feet taking her where they pleased; Reya strolled through the silent streets. It had become almost like a habit, her night wanderings. This was her way of forgetting the unpleasant things that happened. A w