Broken Soul
by Casey Edwards
zidane_95@hotmail.com

It didn't matter. None of it did.

Sure, I'm the ruler of a large and powerful nation. Yeah, maybe I'm the most respected woman in the world. But I don't care. All of the power, fame, and glory can't stifle the feelings that keep rising from within me. Why did I feel this way? He's dead, and he won't be coming back. I must stop running from the truth. It's hard to accept it, but I must go on with my life.

No. I won't. I can't. He gave meaning to my life! He showed me a world outside of these bleak castle walls, a world full of adventure and mystery. He can't be dead! I won't allow it! I'll search to the ends of the earth, and possibly further if need be, to find him! I already wait for him everyday, sitting by the dock, hoping the next boat that comes in will have him on it. But... I know, deep down in my heart, that he'll never come. It's been three years now, and all expedition teams have reported that the Iifa Tree is too thick to burrow into, even to find his body.

The only thing that keeps me sane these days is the play. Every year Tantalus comes to perform a play for the Queen. Every year I hope to see him acting his part, praying to find him among the actors. Every year I'm dissapointed. Even Baku, his father figure and mentor for sixteen years, has no clue as to what happened to him. I only wish that someday, in this life or the next, we are together.

I must go. The Prima Vista 2 has arrived, and it's time for the play. Hear me now, for my heart cannot bear it; if he does not come within the next few days, my body shall be found on the throne, a dagger running through my heart. Farewell...


Author's note: My first real fanfic! Woohoo ^_^ I tried to go into Zidane's mind on this one, but I found that a page from Garnet's diary the day of the play would make a much better story. Comments, praise, money can be sent to the address above. Later everyone ^_^