Never Childhood, part 3
By Thomas Wier
Bosofrod@aol.com


"You never told me what she looked like."

"Even across the baches of time you plague me..."

"Well? Are you going to tell me what she looked like?"

"My mother?"

"Yes..."

"I suppose I might as well tell you. I am going to win, anyway."

"Poor child...so innocent within, even after all of this..."

"Do you want me to tell you or not?"

"Go ahead."

"My mother was tall, slim and young...too young to be a mother, in fact. She had blonde hair like mine, but it was always so covered in filth that it could never be appreciated. She had these eyes that were probably once very beautiful..."

"For all of your talk, you sound as though you are still very detached from her."

"Maybe I am. What does it matter, anyway? I am going to win."

"Win what? What are you trying to prove?"

"That life does not need to be, for one..."

"You want her approval..."

"What?!"

"You think that she hated the world, so you are going to end it for her..."

"Nonsense...!"

"You have been a part of my mind for awhile now, Ultimecia. I can see what it is that you are after...in a sense."

"Mother must have wanted to destroy this world..."

"Do you think so? Then why did she fight so hard to keep the two of you alive?"

"..."

"Don't you think that meant something?"

"Maybe at one time it did. I will prove to her that I was worth her sacrifices..."

"You know, you talk pretty freely to me for one who is consumed by darkness."

"My feelings don't matter...or at least they won't when they are ended like everything else."

"I feel sorry for you."

"Don't bother. Your sorrow will be gone soon enough. So will mine."

"You once loved the world..."

"That was before it took the only family away from me that I ever had. That was before I saw its evil."

"So you would become evil to fight evil?"

"Yes. Evil begets evil, and it shall be turned upon the world in such a way never thought imaginable..."

"But you love Seifer..."

"But he can never be Squall!"

"I worry about you, Ultimecia."

"Well, don't. Nothing matters now but finding Ellone."

"Ellone..."

"Yes, I know you know something about her, don't you, Benign One?"

"I haven't seen the child in years. She must be about nineteen by now..."

"You still keep track of age, even after seeing the powers of time at work through my eyes?"

"I keep track of people and who they are. Their age is a part of them."

"Hmph. I deny age as anything but aesthetic..."

"And that is why you are not whole..."

"Fine. Regardless, I will find Ellone Loire, and then I will end this horrid mass of confusion that we call life."

"Do what you will, Ultimecia. There will always be those who are whole that will fight to protect life. I place higher faith in them."

"Because they are whole?"

"Partially, but also because they love."

......

Catoblepas and Ultimecia's other principal guardians assembled themselves at her behest in the throne room. All nervously awaited her command, for her unprecedented summons had brought to their minds the most horrible of fates. It had been, after all, about a year before she had spoken to any of them except Catoblepas. Now, they all watched her in agitated anticipation.

However, she merely sat upon her throne, looking out the massive widows to the city around the palace. Chest heaving as though she had run for miles, she winced in seeming agony. The guardians could see massive gashes inflicted in her flesh, the blood having clotted hours before. They seemed self-inflicted, and ran the length of the opening in the front of her dress. Finally, Tiamat, a former guardian force that Ultimecia had obtained from one of the ruined Gardens, gained the courage to speak.

"My Sorceress...why do you harm yourself so?"

Ultimecia opened her eyes, calming her breathing and focusing her gaze upon the dragon-like beast that stood proudly before her.

"I have made a momentous decision..." she said, "and as such, I now must fokus my strength for what is to follow..."

"But why must you harm yourself?" asked Krysta, a crystalline entity that had at one time been Senator Halzih of the Estharian Senate. "Why not rest comfortably in your bed?"

"Do not question my rituals..." she warned through clenched teeth. In truth, it was not a ritual, but rather a hope for her that through pain she could rid herself of the joy she had felt earlier. She could not afford a lapse in her concentration, and positive emotion did nothing but blanket her powers.

"The end of which I have spoken to you all has finally begun to kome into view. There will be those who will try to stop me. You will see to it that they fail."

They bowed, and with a mere thought, Ultimecia dismissed them, allowing another audience with her. As the beasts left her presence, a solitary figure passed them by, drawing the jealous loathing of all of the guardians. He strode up to the throne and knelt. Amused, Ultimecia giggled despite herself.

"Arise, Ian," she cooed, and he did. "Kome here."

He did. Walking up the steps of her dais, he stood before her. Ultimecia rose and bade him to sit in her throne. When he did, she slowly curled up in his lap.

"My beautiful knight..." she purred, "how I wish things kould have gone differently in life." Taking his hand, she placed it on her chest and pushed until fresh blood slowly oozed from her wounds. All the while he sat motionless, his breathing a monotone reminder of his servitude.

"But, I guess that it never was meant to be so. You have served me well in so many fashions. I will be sad to lose you. Yet, pain brings power..."

She snuggled closer, rubbing his thigh absently as she spoke. "I did some research. It appears that Ellone Loire, that little brat that I have been unable to find, is a direkt ancestor of yours. Funny how small this world is, even akross the generations. It won't matter, soon, though. I will have all that I require. I will even have a new knight. He will take some work, but I'm sure he will do quite nicely."

She rose and looked Ian in the eyes, caressing his face with her left hand.

"You understand that you must leave me now, right?"

He stared back at her, his eyes distant and empty.

"Oh, Ian, if only you kould have loved me without my powers to interfere...that was the only thing that kept you from me, even as I had you with me on all of those nights. I have found one, though, that will. Imagine! Someone who will be able to speak with me, and enjoy these last few moments of life before I bring it to an end...someone devoted without my hand to guide them...someone to touch me back. You see why I have to let you go, don't you?"

He said nothing, of course, and merely waited until Ultimecia was finished with him. His inaction, as expected as it was, began to infuriate her, and without thinking, she raked his face with her nails, drawing deep gouges in his flesh and scratching his left eye. Still he did nothing.

"Don't you see? You are nothing! How kould I keep you with me? You don't even kry out in pain! Not even you kan alleviate my pain!"

A stream of blood crossed Ian's lips, and Ultimecia caught it gently with her tongue. Pulling it back in her mouth, she moaned softly as it fell back into her throat. Well, he might not alleviate it...but he could soften its blow...

"But, I am lonely now," she said, stirring, "and Seifer is not yet ready for me. He still follows 'Edea.' Hah! What a notion! Yet, when time kompression is brought about..."

She rose to her feet and led Ian with her. As she walked to her chambers, she said, "Your were never a Squall. But, enough talk. All of this aktivity just irritates me. I'm sure that I kould put this energy to better use."

Throwing open the doors to her chambers that ajoined the throne room, she pushed Ian in and slammed them shut. She had to give her second knight a proper farewell.

......

It was midnight when a knock came at the Sorceress's bedroom door. Stirring restlessly, Ultimecia stretched in her release and smiled to herself, glancing to the open window high above Esthar that Ian Loire had used as his exit from life. Pulling her silken sheets to her chest, she called out sleepily, "Enter."

The massive doors opened, and two soldeirs stepped into the room. One of them was a general, and it was he who spoke after they had saluted.

"Most Serene Sorceress of Great Life," he began, "you had given orders to your generals to inform you at once if you had found the SeeD resistance headquarters..."

"Yes," Ultimecia recalled, "and?"

The general beamed somewhat, his face twisting into a wry grin.

"Well, my Lady, we have found that headquarters."

Ultimecia bolted from bed, wrapping her sheets about her as she paced in front of the large windows of her chambers. This was something she hadn't counted on for at least a few more months of fighting...

"Where?" she asked, still pacing.

"The Centra continent, Sorceress. It is at an old site once used as an orphanage and lighthouse. Now, an underground bunker has been found there by the fifty-second division. They ask for permission to make the first strike."

Ultimecia folded her arms and looked out the window. This was one of the moments of her glory, a tribute to both her Mother and her Grandmother. Her crowning achievement would be time compression, there could be no doubt, but she could ill face the void if she had not exacted revenge upon her enemy herself...

"They shall have their permission, but it will be I who leads them during the strike."

The general frowned in both confusion and concern. "Are you certain, my Lady? The SeeDs are very dangerous, and have vowed your destruction."

"And I have vowed theirs," she reminded him. "I will lead them. These are your orders. Prepare a ship for me. I want to be in Centra by no later than nine this morning.

They both saluted and marched proudly from the room. The military minds had been easier to gain control of than the politicians and the citizens. They had a sense of violence that complimented Ultimecia's tumultuous soul. Many served her glady without the yoke of mindcontrol. Now, as she sat back and contemplated this new development, she realized that in the end, she was glad for at least that small bit of true loyalty.

"Oh, Squall," she sighed, looking toward the window, "we never even had a chance to say goodbye. I miss you...you would be so proud of me!" She rang for her handmaidens, who had for the past few months been dismissed from their duties. Now, however, in meeting her enemy, she needed to appear as her role: their superior and their destructor. The past would have to wait a few more days.

......

As Ultimecia stepped onto the Centran shore, she was flanked by her soldiers, thousands of whom had formed a cordon around the lighthouse not half a mile from where they stood. In the interests of safety, Ultimecia's war advisors had asked her to dock a distance away, free of the continual fighting. Indeed, one could still hear the shouts and gunfire of battle as her men laid seige to the bunker, now exposed to the elements by continual bombing. All about her, soldiers ran to and fro, setting up mortar shells and laser charges to assault the SeeDs with. If she were correct, this would be the last group that had for so long eluded her purges.

"General," she asked a tall, highly decorated soldier that escorted her from the boat, "what is our kurrent situation?"

"We have the enemy surrounded on all sides but the waterfront, where they have stationed strategic mines and have escape vessels awaiting them. Only our continual bombing holds them from escape."

Frowning, Ultimecia wrapped herself in her long black robes to ward off the sudden chill in the air. Her hair, now more gray than blonde from her continual travels into Junction Machine Ellone, flew freely in the breeze. This was to be her moment of triumph...a time to celebrate with vengeance the honor of her mother and grandmother. For some reason, she felt nothing but a cold, detached indifference. It was as if all of the fighting had been useless in wake of her recent revelations.

"Cease the bombing..." she ordered, and even under the hold of her sinister power, the general gave a shocked look toward his Sorceress.

"But Great one! If cease bombing, it will give the SeeDs and opportunity to escape!"

"An opportunity that they will not take," she assured him. "Kall off the bombing."

Resignedly, the general made a slashing motion across his throat, and the gunners sitting nearby powered down their launchers. As the last few bombs fell, their was a moment of continued clamor until the final explosion shook the land.

"Rekall your soldiers." she then commanded, and with just as much uncertainty, the general spoke into his communicator, issuing the order to withdraw.

"Are we letting the enemy go?" he asked his Sorceress carefully. With all the grace and charm she could possibly exude, Ultimecia turned to him and smiled.

"Of kourse not! The SeeDs have been training for their entire, pathetik, mortal lives trying to kill me!" She looked over to the exposed bunker and let out a small laugh, her anticipation growing. "Frankly, I am flattered!"

"I am afraid that I do not understand..." the general admitted, looking about him and his returning soldiers with dismay. "What are we going to do, then?"

"We will do nothing," she purred, "but I will exterminate them myself. They will not run when they are faced with the chance to kill the one they have vowed to destroy." That was what she had been missing. She could not leave her great work up to mere men. She had to finish the job herself.

"But my Sorceress! It is too dangerous to go in alone! There are over fifty SeeDs still in hiding, and anyone of them would..."

"I am not koncerned, so neither should you be." Ultimecia glared at the general, her eyes dark gossamers that threatened his immediate death should he continue to object. "Just get me some sort transportation to the bunker."

The general bowed and motioned for a car. One of the military floaters moved over to Ultimecia and hovered in place, waiting for her to board. Placng herself gingerly in the back seat, she ordered the driver to head directly for the bunker. Worldessly, he obeyed, and she watched as the old lighthouse ruins grew closer and closer. Within, she would find a new release for her anger...

The driver stopped the vehicle about thirty feet in front of the complex. All was silent within, which made the driver of the floater to gulp nervously.

"Shall I call for reinforcements, Great One?" he asked timorously. Ultimecia merely raised her hand toward him to quiet him. Taking her first few steps toward the bunker, her eyes glowed with malevolence. The opening to the exposed compound spenned the length of the ruins, and from within there was nothing but total darkness. All was still, and Ultimecia knew that many pairs of repulsive SeeD eyes could have been watching her at that moment. Still, as she stood there, her eyes carried her gaze past the bunker and up to the top of the decadent lighthouse tower. Taking in the scent of the fresh ocean air that whipped her graying hair behind her, she smiled for a moment, forgetting her place. There was something familiar and refreshing about the place in which she found herself. Closing her eyes, she smiled and spread out her arms, as if expecting a rush of the eternities to greet her and carry her away in a sheer wave of bliss. For as long as the wind caressed her, she could believe that indeed her sins might yet be washed away by some forgiving entity, as if she could put her past behind her and find peace in that one moment as she was carried into a place she had not known in years...

"My Sorceress?" the driver asked again. Ignoring him completely this time, Ultimecia tensed at the wind quieted, and she was left again with her own dark consciousness. She had to take this place from the SeeDs...she had to make it her own!

"Tell the general to meet me here in fifteen minutes." With that command stated, she walked into the dark cavern that the SeeD rebels called home.

......

Although the whole of the complex was pitch black, Ultimecia could see perfectly. In the darkness, she would naturally be at home, even without her sorceress sight to guide her. The walls were careved out of the cliffside in a crude yet efficient manner that denoted military skill. Strewn about were various articles of SeeD paraphenalia, while some magazines lay strewn by what were obviously abandoned guardposts. Stepping amidst the ruin, she moved down the hallways, her ears tuned to the heartbeats of fifty three SeeDs.

This, she knew, was how it had to be. She had to find them on her own...she had to destroy them herself, punishing them for their allegience in her mother's and grandmother's stead. Imaginging the battle to come, she felt a slight rush as her dormant adrenaline kicked in, a remnant of the human desires she had tried in vain to slay. The musty caverns grew cooler as she moved further into the cliff, the air growing humid. Above her, she knew, was the lighthouse, standing as it had for unknown generations, waiting for her to seek out the secrets it held for her.

Then, from out of nowhere, a flash of steel forced Ultimecia back, her thoughts dulling her other senses to the attack. Before her now stood a young female SeeD, dressed in the tattered rags of an old, faded uniform three sizes too big for her. Hair strewn about wildly and eyes blazing with hate, the girl rushed forward with a hoarse cry, the continuous exposure to the air from the caverns having apparently affected her throat. Catching the blade in her hand without harm, Ultimecia simply smiled and snapped it off at the hilt. Then, just as quickly, she used it to slash the girl's throat, driving the steel deep within her. The SeeD collapsed before her, grasping at the blade and watching in disbelief as the Sorceress move past her in the darkness.

"Idiot..." Ultimecia breathed, and with a thought, she caused the girl's blood that spattered her dress to disappear. Only fifty-two more to go.

As she walked the halls, she met similar resistance, all of the SeeDs attacking with their useless magics that she was able to absorb without difficulty or great harm. Each one met a fate as horrible as or worse than the first one that had dared to attack her. Her mind was swimming in giddy euphoria as she caught the scent of their blood, its coppery odor a delicious taint to the air that her darkened soul absorbed agreeably. Even as she had turned the weapons of some thirty SeeDs into their own proper entrails, she had not lost her lust for the kill. Each SeeD slain brought her so much closer to the completion of her task...a will ready to quench her need for vengeance while preparing to harness the powers to control time. Breathing deeply, she knew that she was the most powerful sorceress that had ever lived: all others had cowered before the soul-less SeeDs, their powers contained and crushed by those humans who had dared to hide their murderous joys behind the symbols of duty and honor. As the uniformed brats fell, she laughed, tears falling from her eyes. Before time was ended, all sorceresses who had ever lived would be vindicated.

A light began to slowly appear at the opposite end of the corridor. She walked toward it quickly, knowing that the rest of her prey were on the other side of that entrance. Striding with assured confidence, she broke into the light, her eyes taking in the breathtaking scenery before her...until she finally stood in amazment at the scene before her.

The beach that now held four small SeeD watercraft was strewn with rubble, a tribute to the years of neglect the old lighthouse had suffered. The same wonderful breeze now roared past her, but it now played herald to an even greater surprise. Eyes darting about the beach, she knew with total certainty where she was. She could never forget the rocks jutting out into the ocean, each a small platform from which they would dive into the cool ocean as the salty air sent shivers of contentment up their backs. She could see him, sitting on the sandy shore, looking at her with adoring eyes. There was no more mistakes to be made. This was Squall's beach!

Looking back at her were thirty SeeDs, each one ready to board the escape boats and attempt to free themselves from the Estharian raid. However, after seeing their hated enemy emerge from the bunker, placed neatly within their grasp, all quickly ran away from the craft and ran at her, their wordless cries a sweet symphony to the Sorceress above them. Each one tattered and wounded from the intensive bombing, they bore the same ruined weapons that their counterparts inside had weilded with such audacity. Her face, known to them all of their young lives, had been imprinted upon their minds with but one goal: kill.

As they ran at her, Ultimecia threw her hands in the air and let out a piercing cackle. Although they did not stop running, the SeeDs slowed their approach, cautious of the one who had been reputed to hold the power of thousands of her predecessors. Indeed, red dress flowing behind her in the wind, arms outstretched in anticipatory glory, she was most imposing, although she could not have been more than two years older that the youngest SeeD on the beach.

"Fithos lusek wekos vinosek!" Ultimecia shrieked with delusional contentment, her arms making intricate gestures in the air that crackled with energy. "To think...you have all spent your lives trying to destroy me...ME! Now you stand before her, your foe of nightmares...make your puny attempts! Kall down the forces of the eternities upon yourselves! Stand before judgment and receive your final rewards!"

The whole of her body glowed with the anger she had held within for so long. Here, she could finally rid herself of one of the burdens that kept her mind from solely concentrating on time compression...now the SeeDs would die!

"Look at all of you...white angels of death! Where is your power now?"

Indeed, their efforts were futile, as each of the spells they cast in her direction fizzled into nothingness as they met with her aura. Glowing a bright white now, Ultimecia smiled widely and thrust her hand forward, making a grabbing gesture. Immediately, the three SeeDs that led the other thirty up the rocky cliffs grabbed at their throats as their throats collapsed. Without pausing to review her word, she muttered another incantation to herself and raised several of the SeeDs into the air, throwing them into the rocks below with the force of a tornado. Perched upon the rocks, she seemed a beacon of evil, a fountain from whence untold agnoy awaited those who approached.

Still, the SeeDs were driven by the fanatical passions that had bound them to their callings for their whole lives. Many still climbed up toward her, their spells uselessly battling against her shield, but stubbornly refusing to quit. As the setting sun began to climb further down the horizon, Ultimecia watched as the children climbed toward her, the fading light hiding their faces in the shadows of the cliff and rendering them white-clothed demons who chased their quarry as though a fox, their lives forfeit unless they pursued their one fleeting purpose.

"I am taking this beach back for us, Squall," Ultimecia told the setting sun, as if her old knight, her love, could still hear her. "I am taking our home back..."

Ultimecia looked down at the SeeDs who still came after her. It was time that she end the game...raising her hands, she pulled in toward her stomach with both hands, gathering the winds about her for her final attack. As she did so, the waves of the ocean gathered together, the power that held them clutching them as easily as a a hand holds another. Not even aware of the growing spectacle behind them, the SeeDs were caught off guard as the giant tidal wave crashed to the rocks, the force of the water crushing them into the cliffs and dragging many of them back out into their aquatic tombs. It had all happened so fast, that Ultimecia could savor only the aftermath, knowing that her enemies were dead.

......

"My children..."

"You...what are you doing here?! This is MY place!"

"It was once mine as well..."

"What do you mean?"

"That isn't important. What matters is what you have just done...have you no soul?!

"I thought I had already answered that for you..."

"Ultimecia...why have you done this?! Why not live your life in peace?"

"It is too late for me, I told you! I cannot go back...I cannot feel anymore like I used to..."

"That is not true!"

"And what gives you so much insight into my life, Edea? You have no idea what pain is like...true pain that never leaves you alone, torments your every thought, permeates your very soul...I can feel it tear at my sanity daily, waiting for me to die so that eternity may torment me evermore..."

"You fear death?"

"Of course! Why else would I seek time compression? I could use it to be alone...to sort out my soul...to be the only living thing...and then..."

"End it all?"

"Yes...rest forever as nothing...no pain, no fears, no thoughts..."

"No love, no family, no friends..."

"How is that different from my "life" now, hmm? How is it that you put so much stock in love when it has brought you nothing but disappointment and misery?"

"It hasn't. I will always carry the love of all my children with me forever...and I will carry a pure Sorceress's heart until the day I am relieved of it..."

"You bitch! How dare you flaunt your purity before me!"

"No, Ultimecia, I was not..."

"Shut up! Oh Edea, when I am finished with you in the past, I will have you ripped asunder, I so swear it!"

"...you poor girl..."

......

Ultimecia shook her head, pushing Edea from her thoughts and wiping the tears from her eyes. As she regained her vision, she focused on the bodies before her. Boys and girls...children used by the cowardly Balamb governments to seek out those they feared and loathed for no reason other than ignorance. She almost pitied them, their predestined lives cut short just as they stood within the presence of their morbid goal. She looked out over the water and smiled, ignoring he corpses and striding down to the beach. On a mere whim, she sank the SeeDs craft into the water, plunging them from her sight. Once her view was clear, she sat on the sand and looked out over toward the water, her soul for a moment alone with the presence about her. How incredible it felt to have her mind clear of all doubt and self-revulsion! It only furthered her mind that she must finish with her time compression and find this sort of peace forever.

Her hands lightly brushed the wet sand beside her as the waves lightly tickled her toes. Absently, she formed a small mound of sand to her right. Looking down at it, she smiled and let out a joyous giggle. As a child, she and Squall had built many sand castles. Her hands now covered in wet sand, she could sense him again, as though he was still there, somewhere waiting for her.

"Sand kastles..." she said, a tear rolling down her cheek. It was such a wonderful idea...so wonderful that she got on her knees and gathered a great mound of sand, forming it quickly into the shape that she wanted. It had been years since she had attempted to make a sand castle, but the childish desire resurfaced anew, casting Ultimecia into the innocence of her childhood for a brief instant. As the water crashed into shore, knocking her over and taking the sand back with it, Ultimecia could not help but laugh. Laying back on the beach, she looked into the sky and watched the clouds float above her, blessedly aware of the cool water that now soaked her dress and washed over her refreshingly.

"If I kould make a kastle out of the klouds," she mused, "the water kould never touch it..." It was a happy thought for her, living among the pure clouds, away from the contamination of life. Looking at the deformed sand pile before her, and then to the clouds, she stood quickly and dried herself quickly with her magic. If she were going to build her castle, she would have to do a few things first...then, from there, she could sit and await the end that she would bring without fail.

"I just need a bit more time," she whispered to herself, as though she were afraid that the fates might hear her and ruin her plans. She could feel the energy building within herself...all she needed was Adel and Ellone...they were the final keys...

......

When Ultimecia returned to Esthar, she was greeted with a parade in her honor. The military, awed by her utter destruction of the SeeD forces, had held her in higher respect than ever before, and now gloried in her presence as they marched triumphanty down the streets, Ultimecia's floater in the middle of the grand procession. The people, either inspired or dejected in her victory, cheered regardless, some genuinely pleased for their ruler, while others did so out of fear for their lives. Rose petals fell in great cascades, a hero's welcome for the great conquerer. Young girls pushed to the front of the lines, eager to catch a glimpse of their new role model, one who pushed aside the concept of male domination and opened the doors to their future hopes.

Ignoring them all, Ultimecia instead focused on her task at hand. She had to get back into the Machine that very night. Her inspiration to finish the job had re-enforced her need to continue at a brisk pace. The conflicting emotions within her were growing too strong...too powerful for her to contain for much longer. Soon, she would go crazy and be trapped forever within her own dementia. There could be no repreieve from eternal insanity.

When she arrived back at the palace, she was tired and disheveled, and her handmaid came instantly to her side with a blanket. Wrapping it about her Sorceress's shoulders, she led her to ther chambers, warding off the nagging ministers of court and telling the other servants to go about their busines, leaving her to the charge of their ruler. After getting her into a new set of her robes, the handmaid went to find something for Ultimecia to eat.

Ultimecia, however, was not about to wait for soemthing as trivial as food. Rising quickly, she dashed to her library and got in the elevator, hoping to find Catoblepas still guarding the Machine. She was not disappointed. When the great beast saw her, it bowed lowly on its forelegs and grumbled, "Welcome back, victorious one. The Machine is ready for you."

Without so much as a nod, Ultimecia stepped back into Junction Machine Ellone. If she did not find Adel at least, she would not be able to complete her task. She had to act more aggressively...she had to get to Laguna Loire's Esthar. Looking into the darkness above her as she always did before using the Machine, Ultimecia let out a silent, wordless blessing for her goal. Then, she was carried back into Galbadia for what she hoped would be the last time.

......

By now, the process of changing time periods had become routine, and without any fanfare or ceremony, she materialized in Edea's mind, a bright flash of light signaling her arrival. She could feel herself take ahold in the mind, each nerve tickled as she found her way comfortably into the new body. Her hair cascaded behind her as her mask began to fade into the oblivion of time she left behind her.

As she awoke in her alter-ego, Ultimecia sensed something amiss. She was still sitting in her commencement room that was adroned with silken drapes, and the noise outside signified that the masses had assembled for the parade. All was as she had planned. In a few moments, the Galbadians would finally receive their hearts' deepest wish: the overthrow of President Deling.

Still, something was wrong. Leaning back, she focused her mental energy and slowly freed herself from the avian mask. The mental energy that it held in check even affected her somewhat, so she sighed with relief as it dematerial-ized. Standing, she could feel another in the room with her. It was a young girl about her age, black hair, and she held with her a device that emitted a definate magical inhibitor. Thinking nothing of her at first, she threw back her arms, and her ceremonial adornments flashed into being, singing into life like a whispering wind-chime, each jutting from her back like castle spires.

(Leave her alone...) Edea pleaded from within the deepest recesses of her own mind. Ultimecia ignored her and pushed past the doorway to the balcony that sat above thousands of cheering Galbadians. It shimmered as she made her way through to greet those she would soon rule. She cared not whom was in the room with her. Nothing was going to deter her from this event.

President Deling stood by a podium that overlooked Deling Square. He smiled and applauded as Edea slowly approached the microphone. Without regarding him in any way, Ultimecia looked over the people assembled to hear her words as the "Ambassador" to the peace talks. How the cheering masses disgusted her! To think that these same people had sent the sorceresses of the world into hiding in this generation! They fought against them with all of their might, fighting against a force they little understood...a force of such beauty that they could never fathom its presence.

(They are mortal...they are not perfect...) Edea said, hoping to alleviate Ultimecia's anger.

(I care not.) Ultimecia thought back. (They will all meet the same fate.)

She sneered as she scanned the crowd, her lips curling back as if to spit down upon them all, her words soft but deadly missles of dynamic reproach. This was her moment, and she would prove to herself then and there that she was capable of her goal.

"Lowlifes..." she began, almost a whisper into the microphone before her, "...shamless, filthy wretches. How you celebrate my ascension with such joy, hailing the one whom you have condemned for generations!" It mattered not what she said. Just as in Esthar, the people were under her spell, captivated by the archaic powers of Hyne like millions before them and millions to come. Ultimecia smiled inwardly, but would not betray her displeasure even to herself. They would all pay for their ignorant lives...but for now, she decided to let them cheer.

"Have you no shame?" she asked them, knowing very well that they did not. They knew nothing more than what she told them to think. "What happened to the evil, ruthless sorceress from your fantasies; the cold-blooded tyrant who slaughtered countless men and destroyed many nations? Where is she now?"

In a grand gesture, Ultimecia stretched out her arms in exultant triumph, as if to grasp the very heavens and force them under her subjegation. She wanted eternity itself to bear witness to her supremacy, a force of unrivaled strength that would in time end all forever!

"She stands before your very eyes to become your new ruler! HA HA HA HA HA!"

President Deling shuffled to her right, but Ultimecia barely paid any attention. She would deal with the little man in a moment.

"A new era has just begun!" Her voice carried her glee over the crowds and throughout the city-proper, grasping ahold of ever ear in Deling City with precision clarity. Her declaration, fed through the powers of her ancestry, was met with the exuberant, joyous mania of the people. Down in the streets, the masses pushed about in religious frenzy, each shoving another to get a better glimpse of their ruler. It was more than she could have hoped for. After seeing their weaknesses, Ultimecia now more than ever wanted to end them.

"E-Edea?" President Deling's voice cut in to Ultimecia's reverie, "Are you alright?"

She turned her head slightly to look at him, her eyes blazing with an energy that caused the President to jump back slightly. "Ede...!"

Reaching into President Deling's chest, Ultimecia lifted him into the air with ease, his body glowing as she forced his heart to still itself.

"This is reality," she said to both him and the crowd. "No one can help you. Sit back and enjoy the show!"

With one last pleading look, Vinzer Deling fell silent, his head hanging uselessly from his neck. Ultimecia threw him from her hand, his body thudding against the concrete rise of the balcony. With that action, the Sorceress gained control over Galbadia. Waving maniacally at their new ruler, the people began to shout louder, their voices a cacophony of zealous ovation. Once more, Ultimecia turned her attentions to them.

"Rest assured, you fools, your time will come. This is only the beginning. Let us start a new reign of terror. I will let you live a fantasy beyond your imagination!"

She looked over the cheering throngs, a thin and sickly smile dancing across her lips dor a short moment. In a little while, she would descend from on high to bring her glory to her new nation, a nation that would put all of its resources into helping her meet her goals in this new time period. Turning away from the podium with slight demure, Ultimecia stepped lightly, heading back into the Presidential Residence with all of the nobility that she could display with the mere act of walking. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see a girl dressed in blue, one who's aura matched that of the intruder from before. She could serve a purpose after all.

"Let's end this ceremony with a sacrifice," she cooed, the idea most appealing. After all, any true goddess deserved offerings of blood...a testament to her power as ruler. Moving her hands in a manner known only to those who have tapped into the ethereal powers, Ultimecia focused, and as two snarling, reptilian beasts came into being by her mere whim, she sighed contentedly and moved on. They were waiting for her at the gates of the Palce to begin her parade.

......

The parade began with Ultimecia's own ceremonial floater sitting within the manor gates. As she looked through the bars at the masses, she felt a slight disturbance move throughout the crowd. A familiar presence, one almost to faint to detect...but there all the same. Before her, lavishly costumed dancers moved into position, begining their enchanting movements, the steps each in fact an ancient tribute to the Mother Sorceress, Hyne. As soon as the presence faded, though, Ultimecia lost interest in the dancers and thought more of the sandcastles she has built with Squall...so tiny and insignificant now, but back then they had been impressive monuments to invention and the cooperative love she and Squall had felt. Was that all truly lost now? As she sat there, facing the unnecessary ceremony, she began to wonder...what was she doing?

And then, the gates opened, and she could see the smiling, cheering faces before her. Within that moment, her purpose rushed back to her. She could not afford to lose sight now, not when she was so close! After this was done and she had gained the support of the people, she could begin her military strikes against the SeeDs of this era, wiping out any resistance to her efforts. That done...Ellone was as good as hers.

The floater began ot move, and Ultimecia turned Edea's ornamented head to look over the crowds. Such weak things people were to her. Cheering their new ruler...NEEDING a new ruler...had they no pride? No self-reliance? No self-discipline? Of course they did not. That was what separated her from them...what made her their superior in every way. They were the enemies to the true order...it was their place to be exterminated along with her...no longer passing their contaminated genes throughout the ages and polluting the timestreams with their incesant selfishness.

Little girls cheered, much as they did in Esthar, looking to "Edea" as their new hope and inspiration. Men waved their hands in the air wildly, cheering like children...all bowed their heads as she passed, but not before snatching one quick look at their Sorceress. The dancers moved onward, and she sat back. Only the sudden, smug motion of a hand running through his hair reminded Ultimecia of Seifer's presence on her floater. Looking at him with a smile, she wondered how the pathetic worms about her had ever distracted her from the magnificence that was her new knight. Gunblade in hand, he looked every bit the youthful general as he surveyed the crowds with assured confidence.

"Such a beautiful sight," she muttered to herself. He would serve her well...she knew it. Even as he stood there, she admired his poise, his dignity...he was the perfect knight, as though even from common lineage he had been groomed for the task. Looking back at her for a moment, Seifer let out a wry grin, the mischieveous glint in his eyes at once an invitation and a show of absolute respect and awe.

The floater rounded the corner, making its way throught the main drags of the city proper. Millions waved to her as she passed, their cried now a deafening cacophany of wretched, ecstatic voices. She tried to block it out, but it was impossible in Edea's form, where her powers were weakened by the many trips into the past. At least, she noted, the main gate was coming up, which signaled the end of the parade. It was, however, that very sight which triggered another thought...this one unmistakably that of someone in the crowd...

(Forget it. Just shoot.)

Tensing, Ultimecia sat back in the throne, waiting for more...she was not disappointed.

(My bullet...The sorceress...I'll go down in history. I'd change the history of Galbadia...Of the world!)

Bullet? An assassin? Growling inwardly, she fumed angrly at the one who would dare try such a thing...she didn't even notice the gates slam shut on either side of her floater, or Seifer dashing about demanding an explanation.

(It's all too much!)

The assassin was a timid young boy, probably about seventeen or eighteen, which placed him at the age of any minor military office. His hesitation showed his lack of experience and the innocence that his nation, whichever it may be, had failed to drain from him.

(Enough! Just shoot!)

Was it coming? No, the assassin was still too timid...

(I can't dammit!)

She could sense the inner turmoil of the one who held the gun much more easily than she could determine the identity of his companion...only one thought leapt to mind: SeeD. Standing to face her hated opponents, she looked about wildly, not even caring for the simple trap that had been devised to contain her.

(Irvine, calm down. Everyone's waiting on you. I don't care if you miss. Whatever happens, just leave the rest to us. Just think of it as a signal; a sign for us to make our move.)

(Just a signal...)

(Please, Irvine...)

It was coming. As if in slow motion, she could see the bullet tear through the gap between her and the presidential palace where it originated. As the flash of the rifle dissipated, she could see the missle's cylindrical form move toward her, pushing through the air with an unearthly screech. Almost amused with the weak onslaught, Ultimecia held out Edea's hand, a shield deflecting the bullet as it careened into it. Looking back to the roof of her home away from home, she saw someone jump down and eneter the crowd. It was the SeeD. His tortured, chaotic thoughts were like a beacon that she could use to sense his approach. Turning away from the crowd, Ultimecia sat back in her chair and motioned to Seifer, who knelt before her instantly.

"We will be having a visitor soon," she said with a slight smile. "Be ready for him."

"I shall not fail you, m'lady," Seifer said, rising and checking his gunblade before the inevitable battle. "It must be him." he said casually. Ignoring the comment, Ultimecia focused her powers for the upcoming fight, ready to step in should Seifer somehow lose. Thought flowed through her mind, remembering that the SeeDs in this era were much more powerful than the malnourished fops she had faced in her own time. This, coupled with the fact that her own abilities were not as strong in Edea's frame made it much more apparent that she would have to be careful.

A jarring crash signified the arrival of her would-be assassin. Sitting back, she waited calmly as he climbed onto the floater and drew his gunblade. Looking into his eyes, Ultimecia could see something that she had forgotten...something troubling. For a moment, she was quite content to let Seifer handle the introductions, as she was simply taken aback at what now stood before her. This foe seemed so familiar, and yet she knew that she had never seen him before. The eyes held so much pain, as if he had lost something very dear to him in his life...something he never was able to put behind him. Ultimecia's sorceress spirit was crying out in disbelief, as though her inner-self knew something that it would not tell her conscious mind. She could not make the connection, no matter how hard she tried, and all she could do was watch as Seifer engaged the one he obviously knew very well.

"Well," Seifer chided, his gunblade also at the ready, "this is how it turned out."

The SeeD said nothing at first, his fierce eyes ablaze with the tumultuous emotions that sent shivers even then down Ultimecia's spine. When he did speak, it was as if someone were shouting at her to remember something...something that had faded into mere subconscious litter through her further application of her own powers.

"So, you've become the Sorceress' lap dog?" The spite with which he cast the words upon Seifer fell like a hail of needles upon Ultimecia's soul, for the first time forcing her to feel within the usually protective confines of Edea's mind. Outwardly, she did nothing, but inwardly, she shivered through the void. What was happening to her?

"I prefer to be called her knight." Seifer replied, and at the mention of that hallowed title, Ultimecia relaxed slightly. Yes, her knight...her one true constant until the end...she could rely upon him to bring her honor and victory.

"This has always been my dream," he added, and without another word, they rushed at one another, their words lost in the reverberations of their steel blades. She looked on, their swordplay equally deft and skilled, their discipline both unparalleled. Seifer at first seemed to be the quicker of the two, his desire to please his Sorceress driving him to push himself beyond his limits. Bringing the blade in for a close strike at the SeeD's abdomen, he missed, but immediately reversed the strike and caught his opponent's right arm. Sensing his elation, Ultimecia wanted to warn Seifer not to be overconfident...yet she would never chide her knight while he was in combat. All she could do was watch as he displayed the magnificence she had waited to see; a magnificence that was meant for her and her alone.

However, just as she had expected, Seifer began to get sloppy, his strikes becoming more and more showy, more daring, and less and less effective. As he spun about in a dramatic attempt to bring down a killing blow, the SeeD was able to easily strike back, knocking her knight to the ground with a swift punch to the forehead. Had this been any other fight, Ultimecia might have laughed at the sheer absurdity of what she saw. They were like two children playing, not yet ready to put aside their toys and mature. Seifer fell back, and he looked about himself in a daze.

"I...lost...!?" he asked himself more than anyone around him. Disgusted, Ultimecia stood, looking over her fallen knight with a sense of inept disappointment.

"You're losing it, Seifer," the SeeD said, almost with a disappointment to rival Ultimecia's. Regardless, she payed him little heed and stepped forward, her eyes blazing with hatred for the symbol of true evil that stood before her. How dare he defeat her knight...and so easily!

"A SeeD." she spat, Edea's voice echoing with the force of Ultimecia's now timeless loathing. "Planted in a run down Garden..." The wind whipped wildly as she spoke, as if to herald the ancient powers under her command. From within the very earth about them, the dark forces she heralded moaned in agony as she called them forth, a force beyond the limits of time itself. Stretching the souls of the bygone sorceresses to her bidding, the very air crackled with the power of her inhereted might. There would be no vulgar displays of supremacy...no merciful attacks; she would end this SeeD for all time.

Then, from behind, there came a voice that tore through the air like a beacon of unwelcome light, a force that fought back the dark powers that haunted the very land about them. "I can fight if I'm with you! That's why I'm here!"

Shuddering, Ultimecia looked on as the young girl in the blue outfit clambered onto the floater next to the SeeD and stood stoically by him. So, she had survived her demons after all...most impressive.

Then, a more familiar presence...one that had been so hesitant at first to pull the trigger. A tall young man in a long beige trenchcoat sauntered next to the SeeD, holding a rifle in his hands. On his head he wore a cowboy hat: a ridiculous statement to make in such a period. Standing together, they presented to Ultimecia what was most insulting in any form, and that was opposition without fear. The insolent, arrogant SeeDs believed that they would win!

"I have to redeem myself," the gun-toting SeeD commented, and he cocked his rifle, pointing it toward the Sorceress. Facing down the belligerent warriors in front of her gave Ultimecia a sort of twisted courage, building within her a sense of rage that seemed indescribable to her. Why did she hate these SeeDs so much? Why was their presence any more irritating than those before or after them?

"...the accursed SeeD..." she cooed, and threw her hands to either side, a vortex of energy materializing above her head. Making a wrenching motion with her fist, she pulled at the life force of each of the SeeDs, drawing in their strength to feed the void above her. Satisfied with her own abilities and further complacent with the immediate weakening of her opponents, she began her attack.

The gunblade carrier managed enough energy to run in at the Sorceress once before he was struck down by a blast of fire. Cackling, she waved the SeeD away, sending him crashing into his companions. It was far too easy!

"Impudent SeeDs!" she cried, and with her next onslaught, she pelted her attackers with blades of ice, teasingly zapping them with lightning, and once again bringing forth her vortex to claim their energy.

(Please stop this!)

(NOT NOW!!)

Ultimecia was amazed at how well the SeeDs had survived her attacks. Their defenses must have been immeasurably better than those offered by the SeeDs in her own era. In fact, as she looked them over and prepared to strike once more, the leader stood again, propped up by his gunblade.

(Insolent fool...)

(Leave him alone!)

Edea was given no heed. Rage coating the body she inhabited with gathered powers and arcane energy, Ultimecia/Edea began to glow. Raising her hand into the air, she produced several large blades of jagged ice. Then, with an almost nonchalant movement, she sent them hurtling toward the SeeD, catching him in the shoulder and pushing him off of the floater. As she did so, Ultimecia felt a small, almost unnoticable twinge of guilt...as though she had just killed a part of herself. Silken cape streaming behind her, she rushed to the side of the floater and pushed the girl in blue out of the way, looking down at the dying SeeD. He was already unconscious, but his heartbeat still pounded in desperation in her ears. Seifer, having recovered from his humiliating defeat, stumbled over to his Sorceress's side and knelt, his ego dashed to bits with his failure.

"Rash fool," Ultimecia whispered with almost an air of pity. Raising her hands, she cast another spell, this one healing the wound she had caused. Dumbfounded, the girl in blue looked at the Sorceress with concerned eyes. Looking back, Ultimecia was drawn to her eyes, all of her powers useless against the innocent stare that held her enthralled.

"Rinoa!" the other SeeD said with desperation in his voice, "we have to get out of here now! The soldiers are coming!"

Still the stood there, looking at one another. All the girl known as Rinoa could do in response to the wordless stare was nod, gulping slightly as she then looked down at the fallen SeeD. Something was happening...a connection she could not understand. Who was this girl?

"You...love him, don't you..." Ultimecia knew not why she uttered the words...only that there was a reason, a sort of unseen bond that made her ask. It would have lasted forever, perhaps, had not Rinoa's companion grabbed her arm and hauled her away, running through the bars and into the trees that lined the gate. Shaking her head, Ultimecia looked down at her attacker and asked of the motionless form, "Who are you?"

The gates were then raised, and her soldiers entered, all quickly surveying the area. Some of them helped Seifer down, the assistance immediatly brushed off by the arrogant youth. Others hauled the SeeD to his feet and dragged him over to a stretcher. Still more soldiers saw to their Sorceress, forming a protective barrier around her.

Having regained her composure, Ultimecia snarled at her soldiers, berrating their tardiness during her encounter with the SeeDs.

"Where were you idiots?!" she screamed, motioning for them to take the SeeD away, trying desperately to put him out of her mind. Then, looking about her at the raised bars, she asked "Who is responsible for this?"

As if in answer to her question, three other youths were led out of the gate's maintennance door just to her right. They were bound at the wrists, one of them struggling fiercely with his bonds, the other two quietly awaiting what would happen next.

"We found these SeeDs in the gate tower, Excellency," one of the soldier's said briskly, pushing the male to the ground. "They were responsible for the gate. Unfortunately, the other two have escaped with a stolen armored car. We are in pursuit as we speak."

Stepping down gracefully and eyeing the SeeDs, Ultimecia turned her attentions to the one that must have been their leader, the one laying limply on the stretcher.

"Take them to D-District and have them incarcerated," she said quickly. "Find out what they know about SeeD and relay all of this information to me. Use any means necessary to ensure success in this endeavor..."

The soldiers were quick to respond, hauling the prisoners away quickly. Seifer, still embarrassed by his poor performance, stayed a step back from the Sorceress and bowed his head until she gestured for him to approach her.

"Yes, my Sorceress?" he asked, kneeling again.

"My knight," she cooed, brushing his head absently, "I wish to give you another chance to redeem yourself..."

Seifer stood and kissed her hand. "Thank you, my Sorceress, what would you have me do?"

"Your mission is two-fold," she began. "First, you are to find out what these SeeDs know...you will interrogate each of them until their purpose becomes clear to me. Then, you are to take my military and scour the world for any young girl that goes by the name of Ellone. She may be anywhere from nine to nineteen years old. When you find her, you are to bring her to me, is that understood?"

Seifer nodded and gulped, the weight of his responsibility very apparent to him.

"I shall relay the proper command to the heads of the military relinquishing them of their command. You may choose others to help you run their ranks."

"Thank you for this honor, my Lady," Seifer said, and he backed away four steps before turning to begin, eager to please the one the world knew as Edea.

"Find her," Ultimecia called after him, "so that I may truly begin..."

......

As Ultimecia settled into her new role as ruler of Galbadia, she quickly made many changes. For one, she eliminated the need to go through the military advisors in order to engage in war-like activity. Aside from this, she had also organized the military into the most efficient search party in history, coordinating efforts with Galbadian military posts throughout the known world. Although she had no idea what Ellone Loire looked like, since no pictures were ever made available in historical texts, she found that she could focus her efforts on any child that seemed to have a penchant for magical enterprises, and her own sorceress's abilities would help her to do just that. It was inevitable, she assumed, that she would find Ellone and be able to use her fabled gifts for her own designs.

There was also the matter of finding Adel, without whom there would be no time compression. Somehow, Ultimecia knew that the key to the end lay in harnessing the powers of Edea, Adel, and Ellone...as if finally she had been receiving the guidance she had always sought for. In the back of her mind, she could still hear her granmother's voice, their lessons replaying themselves in her mind during their training sessions. Often, she would sit in her chambers and simply recall those words, searching for the clues she needed to unlock the powers of time and the void. It wasn't until one night, that she was drifting into sleep that she finally felt a familiar presence...one from the past that was so strong she could not ignore it. It seemed not aware of her presence. Boltiong from her bed, she raced to Junction Machine Ellone and stepped within, struggling to keep the presence within her mind. As she connected, she could hear it say something unintelligible...something dark...

Overjoyed, she knew that she had finally found Adel.

......

"What...who is there? Who is trying to speak to me?"

"Hello, Sorceress Adel. I am very glad to meet you. I have heard so much about you..."

"You know nothing of me, whoever you are..."

"I know you better than you think..."

"Who are you?"

"Your new master."

"I have no master save myself. I am a Sorceress! I am THE Sorceress!"

"Ha ha ha ha...such idiocy from one who supposedly holds the gift of the revered Hyne..."

"Who are you to question me? Who are you to interrupt my slumber and pass judgment on me?!"

"Slumber? Slumber indeed...you are a prisoner...captured by a mere human! An accidental ruler now holds your lands, withdrawing your plans for world conquest. Even now I can see your thoughts as you struggle in vain against the man-made power that binds you! Captured...like an animal...by a mere mortal..."

"I remember that man..."

"Indeed you should...he is Ian Loire, the President of Esthar..."

"President?!"

"Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Yes, President! You have been in containment for some time now. I am sure that you have seen him yourself..."

"The one who floates by me each time the moon passes the earth...yes, I have seen him. I see his wretched face even as I sleep."

"I am sure you would find it most rewarding to pay him his due."

"I have dreampt of little else."

"Well, my dear, dear Adel, that time is nearly upon you...that is, if you listen to me and do exactly as I say."

"And who are you?"

"I am the future..."

"You are a sorceress, too?"

"I am..."

"What do you plan to do?"

"The same as you, although you didn't even know what you were looking for at the time."

"What are you talking about?"

"You had Ellone Loire for a time, did you not? You were drawn to her for some reason."

"Indeed...I feared that my time was nearly up...I needed an heiress to my powers."

"That is only what you thought."

"What?"

"Ellone Loire is very special indeed, but her gift expands beyond the power of the sorceresses. She can see beyond the flow of time, just as Dr. Odine had found out in his experiments."

"Odine knew of this?!"

"Indeed he did...the result of those experiments was the creation of a machine that you yourself tried to use with failure...one that I now use."

"Junction Machine Ellone?!"

"Indeed."

"But how?"

"Dear, dear Adel...that is for me to worry about. For now, I need to speak with you about something very important. Have you ever heard of time compression?"

"I only know that it is impossible."

"Hmhmhmhmhm...for you alone, maybe..."

"What are you trying to say?"

"If I free you from your prison...you must make me a promise."

"And what would that be?"

"I will free you, and in turn you will grant me control of your mind in the past eras...and you will junction with another sorceress named Edea. I will bring her body to you..."

"For what ends?"

"You will see, in time...you will see..."

......

What Adel told Ultimecia shocked her more than she knew. Apparently, Adel had also attempted time compression, and was very close...until Laguna Loire and Dr. Odine thwarted her efforts. To say that it was impossible, Ultimecia gathered, was more a result of the ancient Sorceress's inflated ego more than anything else. She knew that she could do it, and this time she had the know-how of Adel behind her.

"The Crystal Pillar is needed..." Adel had said, but not even Odine knew that. "He only assumed that it was the source of my powers, the foolish whelp. No, the Crystal Pillar is a conduit of energy...something that you must find. It is encased inside a giant shell of Estharian origin called Lunatic Pandora."

Well, Lunatic Pandora could wait, Ultimecia knew. Without Ellone, none of this would work, for it was Ellone who would get Ultimecia far enough into the past to change history. She had to act fast, though, for she could feel Edea's body begin to give way under the stresses of the possession. The mortal frame would not last long. It was within the time that she pondered these thoughts while in the past that she was interrupted by a loud knocking at her chamber door. Seifer burst in without word, the look on his face that of disgust and self-loathing. Dropping to his knee, he greeted his sorceress and arose, a mixture of anger and fear coating his features.

"What is it, Seifer?" Ultimecia asked.

"The SeeDs..." he began, unable to continue. Gulping for breath, he looked as though he had just run two miles.

"What about the SeeDs?" she asked, knowing that it could not be good news. She sat up, looking her knight over with eyes glazed, like one whom has just awaken from a trance.

"They have escaped, my Sorceress..."

Standing quickly, she slapped Seifer, the blow sending him reeling. He looked up, eyes teary, and knew that he had let her down once more. Not even paying him any heed, Ultimecia began to pace the room.

"They will for certain try to hinder my efforts...I should have deployed the missiles yesterday."

She continued to pace, her mind racing as she thought of possible ways that they might strike back. Certainly, they would go back to their Gardens and...

"Their...Gardens..." she said, a smile suddenly crossing her lips. "Indeed! Ha ha ha ha! Why had I not thought of this sooner?"

She motioned for Seifer to stand, which he did quickly, bowing his head to hide his moist eyes.

"My Sorceress? Your command?"

"Get me the GardenMaster of Balamb Garden, Norg. I wish to speak with him..."

Seifer nodded and quickly scampered out of her sight, eager to comply with whatever menial task might circumvent her anger from him. Within moments, Edea had a private link with the leader of the Garden she had not yet control over. Creeping back into her chambers, Seifer sat down and watched as his Sorceress talked with a giant, almost blob-like being on a small screen.

"EDEA KRAMER?" the beast asked her, "WHAT DO YOU WANT?"

"Norg," Ultimecia began, "I am distressed to learn that your Garden was responsible for an attempt on my life. I know that you were responsible for this..."

The deep, gutteral moan that erupted from the screen in protest was an obvious lie, but she allowed Norg his chance to dig himself deeper into a hole...in doing so, he would have no choice but to comply with her wishes.

"NO, MY LADY, YOU MISUNDERSTAND...I WAS NOT RESPONSIBLE...NOT RESPONSIBLE..."

"Spare me your lies, Norg," Ultimecia said, "I know it was you..."

He made as if to protest, but she held up a finger silencing him from making any such move.

"But...I am going to give you a chance to redeem yourself."

Elated by this saving grace, Norg ignored all pretenses and asked eagerly "WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE ME DO?"

Smiling, Ultimecia said, "I would find it to be a generous act of faith if you were to kill those SeeDs that made the attempt on my life...as well as the headmaster of the Balamb Garden, Cid Kramer."

"YOUR HUSBAND?!" Norg interjected in astonishment, "I HAVE LONG WISHED TO DO SO...BUT TO HEAR THIS COME FROM YOU..."

Smiling inwardly, Ultimecia enjoyed to hear the astonished tone come from the proud Shumi. Waving the monitor away, she ended the conversation, fully confident that the fear-motivated Norg would accomplish his task.

"Seifer..." she called without looking back at him, "are my missiles ready yet?"

"Yes, my Sorceress, they are."

Waving her hand, a large, holographic map appears before her, outlining the major cities and locations of the world. Two large, yellow dots shone brighter than the others: Balamb and Trabia Gardens.

"Those are our targets, Seifer," she said. "Strike Trabia first...we want to give Norg a chance to kill the SeeDs if they arrive."

Bowing low, Seifer left quickly, glad to once again be in the Sorceress's favor. Sealing the door behind him with a magical incantation, Ultimecia sat in her throne and left Edea's body to the cerebral crown. In time, she would have return...but certain things needed to be attended to in her own era.

......

Stepping from Junction Machine Ellone, Ultimecia looked to Catoblepas and motioned for it to follow her. Walking briskly, she stepped into a large laboritory on the same floor as the Machine. Dr. Cyas and Professor Eldrin turned and bowed to her, dropping what they were doing at sight of the Sorceress. The lab, littered with various electronic paraphenalia, was awash in a low-level light that annoyed Ultimecia, who found it distracting with all of the other pieces of equipment that the messy scientists kept.

"My Sorceress!" Professor Eldrin exclaimed, "How wonderful to see you again!"

"Spare me, Professor," Ultimecia snapped, watching in silent delight as their expressions sank into viasages of terror with the arrival of her guardian. "I have a new assignment for you, so you may cease all aktivities for the time being."

They bowed and turned off their machines instantly, turning to the Sorceress to bow down before her.

"What is your command?" they chorused. Shivering, they hoped to alleviate whatever anger had prompted her to bring Catoblepas with her.

"Oh, my dear, dear scientists..." she hummed almost lovingly, "there was once a projekt of Odine's that I wish for you to check on for me...something that we once had...but now do not..."

"And what would that be, Gracious One?"

"A simple objekt...but one of great size and importance..." She paused to emphasize the point. When she found that the once-proud scientists would interrupt her no more, she continued. "I want you to find what Odine did with a thing kalled the Lunatik Pandora."

They raised their heads, curiosity over-riding the need for self-preservation.

"Lunatic Pandora?" Dr. Cyas beamed, "Oh! We would be more than happy to!"

"We have been waiting for a green light on this project for years and years and years!" Eldrin added with a boyish grin. "When will we begin to look for it?"

They had guessed her intentions...but only in the most three-dimensional of ways. With a patronizing sigh, she motioned for them to stand. Once on their feet, she said, "You will begin immediately. I also expekt a full summary of all of Odine's rekords from his own experiments with this "Pandora" device. I want the dokuments in my hands within the hour."

They bowed again and scrambled to get to work, opening up their databases and retrieving the information that their ruler sought. Ultimecia, however, had other plans that did not involve standing around and waiting for the small-minded men to complete their task.

Instead, she walked slowly to her throne room, taking the elevator back to the top floor of the palace. Seating herself on her throne, she yawned, wracked by fatigue. Outside of the massive windows around her, she could see the clouds float about her gently, being blown across the very globe in an aimless, peaceful existence, free of care and emotion. Looking herself over, she knew that she was a mess, but she didn't care. Her last trip into the Machine must have taken her many days her her own time, as her dress was soaked in sweat, her skin sticky and her breath tainted by the passage of many hours. Even through all of her attempts to bring out her beauty and enhance her natural charms, her goals brought out the filth even on the outside. Sighing, she looked quickly away from herself. She reminded herself that it was necessary; it was the only way for her to ever find rest from the torment that plagued her.

That, however, did not prevent her from holding her head in her hands as she began to cry, unable to tell why, or from what. All that she knew was that she had to end her pointless existence. She could not bare to face life much longer. Her mind flashed back to the one who had been called "Rinoa" in the past. They had shared something, a feeling...so similar, yet at the same time, so distant and indistinct. It was love, Ultimecia knew, but a love that she could scarcely remember ever feeling before. Even her thoughts of Callie and her own Mother were beginning to fade, and if she lost those completely, she knew that she would not last long enough to complete her task. It was so close, she continued to tell herself...all she had to do was hold on for but a short while longer.

Sniffling, she lifted her head and saw that Catoblepas had made its way into her throne room, along with her other guardians. All kneeling before her, she looked to them with a sudden flash of anger piercing her already shaken emotions. Standing to reclaim the dignity that she believed that she had lost, she shrieked at them, her voice reverberating horribly off of the walls.

"Who gave you idiots permission to kome into my throne room?! Why are you fools here?!"

The beast known as Tiamat, a guardian force that she had claimed as her own from a fallen SeeD, spoke up first. Flexing its great wings, the dragon growled its answer with an almost child-like sense of devotion to the young woman who stood before it.

"We have all sensed something disturbing, Great Sorceress. We have felt a surge through the fabric of time that you bring with you. There is danger in going to the past. We are here to implore you to not go back...for your own sake."

Ultimecia's answer came immediately. Strethcing forth her hand, she blasted Tiamat into the wall behind him, the other guardians now bakcing away uneasily. Anger flaring at her nostrils, the Sorceress walked up to Tiamat and grabbed him by a protruding fang and slammed his head into the floor, cracking the marble and bringing a trickle of blood from the dragon's mouth.

"And who are you to EVER make such a request?!" she fumed, spit flying from her mouth as she spoke. The dragon could but offer a pathetic whimper in response.

"All of you!" she shouted, whirling on the rest of her protectors, "All of you have your orders! I am so klose that I kan taste it, and not one among you will ever deter me! If you so dare as to speak of this again, I will destroy all of you!"

They all bowed once more, and Tiamat rose slowly, its head bobbing about dizzily and it stood.

"Be gone!" she cried, and the guardians vanished, each of them transporting themselves back to their assigned posts. Angered yet somewhat unnerved by their request, Ultimecia sat in her throne and looked herself over once more. She needed to take a bath, for her scent had begun to bother even her...and when she was done...

Much as she had in the past, she gestured with her hand and a map appeared. In accordance with her instructions, Professor Eldrin had indeed relayed his findings to her. A giant, red X lay over the Western Estharian coastline. Lunatic Pandora was there. Adel was in spatial containment. Ellone was till nowhere to be found. The three pieces to the puzzle were not yet together, but ever so close. She would have to consult with her thoughts regarding the proper method for using the three elements, but somehow, she knew what must happen. She had to raise Lunatic Pandora, free Adel without letting her have her own way...but how?

Tired, Ultimecia could do little else than call for her handmaid. When she arrived, Ultimecia let her lead her toward the bath, silently placing the puzzle together...not quite sure it would even work.

......

It was almost noon when she awoke, the night before an unbearable conglomeration of dreams. The images, all of her past, though distorted beyond any possible recognition, haunted her a she tried to sleep. It was a collage of evils, the evil demons who chased her grandmother from the Centran village, the beasts that ravaged her mother while she could do nothing but hide her eyes, the broken, battered corpse of Squall, awash in an ocean of blood. When she finally did wake up, it was with a headache on the left-hand side of her head that felt like a fire had been ignited within her skull. Already, her soceress powers were beginning to conflict with the emotional torment that she faced...her body would not be able to suffer the strain much longer.

Rising from bed, she threw on her robes and walked to the window. She knew that she had to get back into Junction Machine Ellone, but it would do her little good if she was a complete wreck in doing so. She needed something to take her mind off of the goal...if just for a short while. The clouds which floated past her window seemed so inviting...so soft. She wished that she could sit among them forever and just forget her troubles...

"Sand kastles..." she murmured to herself, pulling her robe tightly around her to ward off a slight chill. She knew what she had to do now...

Waving her hand, a screen appeared in mid-air before her. Looking back was the face of Dr. Cyas. He seemed as tired as she was, their extensive research efforts having drained them, as well. Staring back with blood-shot eyes, the scientist bowed slightly and muttered, "Yes, my Sorceress? How may I serve you today?"

"Please kome to my chambers, doctor," Ultimecia replied with a slight smile. "I have a new task for yur department."

He bowed and turned off the monitor. As it faded from view, Ultimecia went to her desk and pulled out a piece of paper. She began to write, ideas flowing from her mind as detail after detail came to her mind, her exhausted psyche glad for the relief. She was so into her task that she didn't notice Dr. Cyas entering the room.

"You summoned me, my Sorceress?" he asked, and Ultimecia jumped at the surprise. She was too excited to be angry, however, and bade him to approach.

"I want something built..." she mused, glancing over her list. "These are just some of the things that I want." She handed him the list and folded her hands. "I will attend to the rest."

Dr. Cyas glanced over the paper and pondered it for a moment. "The construction should prove exceedingly simple. We have the replecators on stand-by for just such projects...though perhaps not of such gothic nature, we can still reset the calibrators and..."

"I want it built by hand, doktor," she interrupted. Stopping short, Cyas peered over the paper.

"That could take years, your majesty!"

"By hand, doktor...and you have two months."

"But...!"

"Just see to it that you attend to the details that I highlighted...I will take kare of the rest myself."

He did not seem reassured by the promise, but bowed anyway, taking the list with him as he walked out.

"It shall be done," he called back, dragging his feet as he left the room. "I will have my staff begin immediately."

"You may kontract outside help," she offered, and the professor merely nodded, not even looking back.

Ignoring his weariness, Ultimecia hugged herself for the first time since she could remember. She had always needed something like this, and when time was compressed, she could take care of the last detail.

"I shall have to kall it Ultimecia Kastle..." she said with a slight giggle. Standing from her desk, she walked toward the elevator, ready once again to resume her role as Edea Kramer. As she entered the laboritory, Catoblepas was standing guard, as it always did. It bowed, she nodded, and for what seemed like the millionth time, she entered Junction Machine Ellone, ready to find out how badly Seifer's search was coming.

So used to the transfer was she now that she never even noticed the trip that her thoughts had to make. Instead, she merely rose immediately from her chair and called for Seifer. When he did not come, she shouted for a servant. Instantly, one came running into the room.

"Yes, your Grace?" the maid asked.

"Where is Master Almasy?" she inquired, her eyes wide in expectant fury.

"He is currently at the front, m'lady."

"The front?! Are we at war?"

The maid reached back into her apron and pulled out a sealed envelope. "I was instructed to give this to you when you awoke, your Grace." She handed Ultimecia the envelope and bowed. Dismissing her, Ultimecia opened the envelope and began to read the letter.

Your Most Serene Sorceress,

As of now, my troops are engaged with an unkown regiment of SeeDs that do not hail from any particular Garden. It is rumored, through my network of spies, that Ellone Loire is with them. I have commandeered Galbadia Grden as transport to the scene. Upon your command, I shall return to you and inform you of our progress. We were successful in destroying Trabia Garden, but Balamb Garden seems to have eluded us. We are in pursuit of them, also, and will intercept within a few hours. I await your word.

Your Devoted Knight,

Seifer

She smiled, glancing over the note. Ellone had been found! Waving her hand in mid air, Seifer's face appeared before her. She could barely contain her excitement, but somehow managed to stare back at Seifer without emotion.

"You have found her?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. Seifer bowed his head quickly and smiled. "Yes, your Grace. We have ships in pursuit even now going after the renegade SeeDs. We are also happy to report that our spies have determined the path that Balamb Garden is traveling. We will intercept within the hour.

Ultimecia thought about this. If she was to find Ellone and Adel, she could not have the Balamb SeeDs interfering. They had to be destroyed, and she knew that Seifer would be unable to accomplish that task on his own.

"Seifer, you are to make a detour on your path to intercept. You will come to Deling City and allow me passage on whatever vessel you currently travel."

Nodding, she could see the pride torn from his eyes. He knew why she was accompanying him, and the knowledge shook him to the core. Undoubtably, he would try even harder in her presence to be the perfect knight, but his ego would have to be placed aside for more important matters. How she wished she could reward him in her own way...show him how much she meant to her, even despite his less desirable traits. That would have to wait until the compression...when she could step through the barrier of time herself. Now, all she could do was wait for him...

......

"Well, things are finally starting to go your way. How nice for you."

"You say it is if it were a bad thing."

"What do you call the eradication of time itself?"

"Release."

"Oh yes, release...from your oh so horrid existence of being waited on hand and foot, of having the very world in the palm of your hand..."

"I find no pleasure in my excesses..."

"Then why do them? Don't they make you feel powerful? Don't they make you feel superior to all other life?"

"My, you are sarcastic today, Edea, but no. I do not feel powerful...they make me feel dirty."

"Then why do them? Why follow after darkness..."

"It is all I know...it is all I feel."

"I wonder about you, sometimes, Ultimecia...I wonder about your true motivations."

"You may look for something that isn't there if you wish, Edea. I don't care anymore."

"Then maybe I will look deeper within you..I want to see what could possibly have scarred your sorceress's soul so badly that you would become so evil to yourself..."

"Have fun...I have a ride to catch."

......

The Galbadian soldiers formed a row in front of the entrace to the floating Garden, Seifer awaiting Ultimecia as she slowly walked down the aisle of troops. Gunblade raised in salute, he knelt before her and waited for her hand to touch his shoulder before he rose again. Brushing his hair back, he looked at his Sorceress and smiled.

"Galbadia Garden is your chariot, m'lady."

She looked over the giant red edifice, silently assessing it with approval. Seifer had done well indeed. It was a graceful thing, but it had a military quality to it that rendered it almost spartan in a appearance. Slightly above their heads was a whirling blade that kept it in the air.

"It is armed?" she asked of Seifer.

"To the teeth, Sorceress Edea. I have secured an entire legion of our finest soldiers to man the garrison. We also have several attack suits and motor bikes ready for an internal invasion of the enemy Garden."

She walked past Seifer, stepping on board the Garden. "Show me to my room then." Seifer nodded and followed her, several armed escorts leading the way. As the soldiers filed on board, the Garden began to shudder, but only slightly as it lifted up into the air. Ultimecia walked without incident, but the other soldiers stumbled slightly as the thing took off. Walking down a long corridor, she paused and stared at a skylight that illuminated the SeeD crest on the ground.

"Hideous thing," she spat, and she walked over to it, Seifer accompanying her. Stopping just before stepping on the actual symbol, she began to chant, reaching back through time to summon one of her many guardian forces that she had commandeered from the SeeDs of her own time. With a simple word, a pillar of flame erupted into the air from the seal, causing her soldiers to jump back in alarm. When the fire died down, a hulking, three-headed beast stood before her.

"WHAT IS THINE COMMAND, OH SORCERESS MOST POWERFUL?" it asked in a roar that only she could interpret. Petting it softly on one of its heads, she smiles and replied.

"None shall pass through this alcove, Cerebus...deal with all who oppose you..."

"IT SHALL BE DONE AS YOU COMMAND..." it growled. Satisfied, Ultimecia walked on, allowing herself an amused smirk at the expense of her frightened soldiers. Throwing back her billowing silken train, she continued down the hall, Seifer leading her to a place that she could sit and rest.

"Continue on course," she called to the soldiers, and they saluted hastily, running to their positions. Within moments, the whole complex began to shudder on its way, until finally it picked up speed and soared gracefully through the air. After a short walk and uncountable salutes from her soldiers, she took an elevator with Seifer up to the third floor where her throne was waiting for her. As they rode up, Seifer sighed somewhat, his chest heaving as he did so.

"What is wrong?" Ultimecia asked, aware of his sudden change of mood. Normally, he was more than happy simply serving her. Now, it seemed like other matters pressed him. The doors to the elevator opened to the empty chambers, but neither of them stepped off of the elevator. Seifer merely looked back at her, his eyes downcast, his mouth tightly drawn.

"It is nothing," he said quietly.

"It is something." she corrected, her eyes suddenly soft with concern, her own feelings passing even through the temporal barrier that kept her so close to him, but so far apart.

"It is just that...Rinoa..." He looked away completely, ashamed of his words. Placing her hand on her knight's shoulder, she could sense his conflict...the girl in blue. His obvious, child-like love for her was so sad that it was almost enraging. Within herself, she could feel her longing to feel the skin of his face on her own hand, to hold him close and know of that power physically the same way she could feel it through his emotions and thoughts. He had become loyal to Ultimecia, yes, but to Rinoa, he could still place his heart. The very thought sent a chill up her spine that almost forced her to break contact with the Machine. Holding tight, she softly turned Seifer's head toward her and smiled sweetly.

"My Knight...I told you that you would no longer be a boy. It is time to put aside all childish things and become a man."

Seifer nodded slowly and looked at her with tear-rimmed eyes. "I want to...but I would be alone then."

"No," Ultimecia promised him, "you would not be." Smiling once more, she lightly pressed Edea's lips against his, drawing him close to the Sorceress's body. How she wished that she could feel him pressing up against her! How she wished that she could feel his wet lips as she brought her tongue deep within his mouth...but no...she could not even feel the slightest sensation. This, she knew, was for Seifer's benefit. Her own time would have to wait.

They broke apart slowly, Seifer's eyes still wet, but now a smile also crept across his face, a smile so unlike the smug grins he usually afforded those he met. This time, it was a smile of happiness.

"Matron, am I allowed to love so great a woman?" he asked, looking deep within her eyes. The fire that burned within them thrilled her so that she forced Edea's body back upon him in a tight embrace, tears flowing from her eyes as she stood in the Machine.

"Yes!" she rasped, choking back a sob as she clutched him, the desperation to hold him reaching an unbearable degree. Before she lost all face before him, she had to pull herself together. Pushing apart slowly once more, she walked to her throne and sat. It was a levetating piece of fabric that gently bobbed up and down as she sat within it. Seifer, kneeling before her now, looked on with complete adoration.

"Find Balamb Garden and destroy it, Seifer. Bring the SeeDs to me alive so that I may personally end their lives."

Seifer nodded and rose, turning to go. Once at the elevator, however, he turned and looked back at Ultimecia. With a boyish grin, he blew her a kiss and stepped inside of the lift, the doors whoosing closed quickly as it took him below.

"Soon, my treasure, soon," she called after him, smiling to herself as a shiver was sent through her. After all, if he admired Edea's frame, she could only guess what Seifer's reaction would be to her true glorious body. Then, before she could forget comfortably, she sat up and tested a word upon her lips that sounded old and awkward.

"Matron? What?"

(You delude yourself. You are just using him.)

(Hmm...that very well could be.)

(What about Squall?)

(What?!)

(I have been within you for a long time, Ultimecia...I can see even what you have forgotten...)

(Shut up! Squall is dead!)

(Well, if you keep this up, he most certainly will be.)

(What could you EVER know, Edea? You are a weak sorceress...you know nothing of emotion or love!)

(I know that you once had it, but when you thought it was gone, you tried to fill your heart with vanity and pain. I know that you are still very sad inside. I know that no matter how deeply that you feel you have buried yourself in misery, it is never too late to redeem yourself.)

(Fine words, but in practice...they mean nothing. I have tried al that you say. What have I found? Nothing!)

(You never tried. You gave up. Now you are just trying to hide from even that!)

(Well, I will succeed...)

(Again, there you go...I corner you, and you simply babble on about your "great goal." Ultimecia, you could still become pure again!)

(...ok, Edea. Let me assume that you are correct. How would I become pure?)

(Give up this silly game, for one thing.)

(No...you don't know what it feels like to be tormented by every second, knowing that you will be forever consumed with anger...knowing that you gave up your soul in one rash moment in exchange for the powers of revenge! No! I need to rest, and so do my Mother and my Grammy! I will never let them down, and I will not let their tortured souls dwell in nothing for all time!)

(And how do you know that they are tortured?)

(I saw them weeping...crying just as the darkness took them!)

(And you know that they were crying for themselves?)

(Of course?! What else would cause them so much misery?)

(Perhaps they were crying for you.)

(For...me?)

(Left alone without anyone to halp them...I am also sure that Callie regretted her choice to go to New Balamb and leave you with no guardian to speak of. And I know that your mother must have been heartbroken by the choice that you made, not so much because you made it, but because you felt you had to do it...)

(My Mommy loves me!)

(I know, child, I know!)

(CALLIE LOVES ME!!)

(Of course she does, but...)

(WHY CAN'T I FEEL IT ANYMORE?! WHY AM I ALONE!? WHY DO I FEEL SO LOST?!)

(Oh Ultimecia...)

(Nevermind, Edea...this is the only way...I can see no other...I know this is all chaotic, and that it seems to make no sense, but it will! All creation will finally be free from the grip of time and pain will be a distant memory! No ne will ever be burdened with the horrible sensations of guilt or loss or anything! They will always be free...for they will no longer be anything at all.)

(And what if you could find thatlove that would make all of your plans for naught, a feeling of love so powerful that it would drive away the pain for a few blessed moments and make you see yourself as a lovely, radiant soul again?)

(Impossible, no such love exists!)

(What if you could find it though?)

(I...how can I answer that?)

(You may have to soon, Ultimecia...you may find that your efforts have all been in vain, and by then it will have been too late. You may regret this course of action until the moment you become the nothing you hope for. It may be a brief pain that you feel, but it will be so tremendous that I guarantee it will make you feel the loss a hundred times over.)

(But what could ever be so...)

(You miss Squall?)

(...I cannot even see his face anymore...I have no idea what he even looked like!)

(Well...the realization will soon hit you, and when it does, I hope that you make the right choice.)

(You won't have to worry about that, Edea...I plan on you and Adel spending some quality time together before the end is brought. I will then have all that I need with your combined strengths to focus time, and Ellone...dear, sweet Ellone, will be the conduit I need to focus that power..she will send me to every time in history...the only being ever to exist in every moment of time that ever was or ever will be. Then, I will slam them all together into one neat little package and obliterate it...but not before I savor my time as the only living being alive...time enough to savor my triumph.)

(...dear God...it might just be possible...)

(Yes...and can you believe I have been guided to do this? I know that destiny is on my side...all of my "excesses" will no longer matter...the SeeDs will be gone, adn we will never have even had this conversation. My mother will never have been degraded in the streets for my welfare, and Callie will never have been betrayed by the one she supported. It will be glorious!)

(A weak way out of a path all others have walked.)

(Well, I am sure that this path would have been taken if another had thought of it first. No matter...I can see that we are closing in on our target. Your SeeDs, Edea, were not too hard to find at all.)

......

The two Gardens stayed about a mile apart from each other as they hovered in place, as if two great, monstrous titans were sizing each other up before a great battle. Below, the trees looked like match-sticks, a forest of toothpicks that were laid to waste as the mighty goliaths moved across the rocky Centran coastline. All wildlife had fled in fear before the paths of the machines, and now the air lay silent save for the sound of the waves crashing majestically far below against the craggy rocks. A slight breeze whistled between the two Gardens for a moment, as if to shatter the fragile calm for its own detached amusement.

Ultimecia looked out over the scene from Galbadia Garden with only a slight anticipation. From al reports, the Balamb students were poorly armed and garrisoned with but a few officers. Most of their ranks were composed of junior classmen who would not be allowed to fight in a crisis situation. More manpower would be used to defend them, which reduced the offensive efforts. Seifer had certainly done his homework. Their success seemed secured, especially when her Garden was teeming with Galbadian soldiers and creatures that were the result of her own special incantations. The first wave was already in place. All Seifer waited for was her word.

Taking one last look out to Balamb Garden, she waved her hand and the image faded. Closing her eyes and smiling at her assured success, she nodded to a soldier, her signal to proceed. Snapping into salute, he took the elevator to inform Seifer of her orders. It would begin shortly.

After a few minutes of contemplative silence, the Garden roared into action, careening across the earth as it headed for the opposing Garden. With any luck, the sounds of battle would be short and distant. Yet, her one true hope remained that she would be able to see the SeeDs that had defied her one last time. She made the mistake of granting them mercy before. This time, she would see to it that they would fall before her in a heap.

Sitting back in her throne, she could hear the battle begin. Laughing to herself, she thought about how futile it all was. They would all fall in the end.

(Will they? I am not so sure.)

(You again? What do you want?)

(You were curious about the name of Matron.)

(And you know what it means?)

(I do. I am Matron. It means that at least Seifer is beginning to awaken...)

(What?)

(Seifer, Squall, Quistis, Selphie, Irvine, Zell...they are all my children, orphaned by the war with Adel.)

(Squall and Seifer?)

(Yes. I raised them all here at this lighthouse by which you have ordered so much chaos...the same one I have seen in your thoughts.)

(The lighthouse was yours? Then...the woman I saw...)

(Me...but I never saw you...not this me, anyway.)

(You said Selphie, Zell, Quistis, Irvine...who are these children? How do they know my Squall?)

(They are children of fate; I have known this for a long time now...I knew they were destined for a great purpose. I could feel it in their hearts and souls, and how they lived side by side...even Seifer and Squall, who always fought.)

Ultimecia clutched her ring about her neck back in the Machine, unaware that she moved Edea's hand up to her neck as she did so. Squall was alive!

(My Squall is alive?! Where is he? Where can I find him?)

She could hear Edea sighing in the recesses of her mind, as if she was loathe to reveal any more to her.

(Well? Where is my Squall?)

(I am sure that you will see him again soon...though you might not even know it.)

"He gave me this ring...I brought it back with me through our thoughts...)

(Your love was very strong in that reality. It allowed you to transcend al others. And now you look to do the same thing with evil. That is where you err. Even the beast you allow to grow that lives within your ring feels that pain...and it grows more perverse every day...surely you can feel it?)

(I feel him getting stronger...until the time when I shall release him to serve his Sorceress before the end.)

(...)

(...what is it? Are you hiding something from me?)

(...no...I am not...)

(You are a pathetic liar, Edea. I know you are holding something back from me.)

(Well, if I am, it will be something that you shall never get from me...)

(...how DARE you say...)

Ultimecia was snapped from her thoughts by the sounds of the elevator doors opening. Seifer stepped into the room quickly, out of breath and holding his gunblade at his side. Quizzically, she looked her knight over and bade him to speak, wondering what could so have flustered him into a panic.

"The SeeDs have entered the Garden, of Sorceress...They would dare to betray their Matron..."

"Don't call me that," she said, still sitting back comfortably. "Just calm down and wait for them. You will have your chance in a moment."

Seifer kneeled and rose, waiting with weapon in hand for the intruders. They did not have to wait for very long. Within a few minutes, they could hear the elevator once again whir into life, and when the doors opened, out stepped the SeeDs from Deling City...her would-be assassins. A huge smile crept across his face as they stood before the throne, their weapons drawn, faces grim with intent.

"Oh, you guys shouldn't have..." Seifer mused. "I was gonna come visit you at my old home."

The SeeD in the black coat stood forward, brandishing his own gunblade. "Shut up." He glared at Seifer, seeming oblivious to the powerful being sitting just beyond the knight, yet in all truth he was anything but.

"Did you guys come to fight Matron? After all she's done for us?" Closing her eyes, Ultimecia ignored the rest of Seifer's banter and concentrated, searching the SeeDs with her thoughts...finding a wall of such strength with their leader that she could not hope to penetrate it. The girl Rinoa, however, was quite easy to read. The love that she held for the leader was strong indeed. Every conscious thought dwelt on him, holding him close to her in spirit. Suddenly jealous, Ultimecia searched Rinoa's thoughts further, pushing to find this link between them that she only felt to be there. Seifer began fighting at some point, but she ignored them all, searching desperately for this bond. It was shattered, however, when Seifer let out a yelp of pain, his own thoughts shattered in a flurry of anguish.

(No! I lost...)

"This can't be!" He shouted, "Why!?"

Breaking her concentration, Edea stood and looked down at Seifer, more upset at his intrusion than his loss.

"Worthless child..." she sneered, her anger flowing through her, the dark powers of her sorceress's heart leaping to the forefront to shield her pride. For a time, her love for Seifer was replaced with a sort of sickening regret. Glaring once at the SeeDs, she descended below the floor. It would take her time to refocus her energy...she could not fight with a severed link with another still floating between them. Time was all she needed...

Another thought, this one less agreeable, crept inot her mind as she hid among the shadows of the vacant auditoium in which she found herself. Was this SeeD so strong an influence upon her thoughts because he was the one who would kill her? Hyne had met her end at the hands of a legendary warrior, and was not she greater than Hyne? It made sense, but she would not allow it to happen. She would slay him first, and Rinoa with him.

(That has to be it...he is just a murderer. He is just a SeeD...)

(He is more than that, and you know it...you know who he is...)

(Not now, Edea...this is not the time.)

(You will regret killing him!)

(...)

They were there, she knew. Breaking contact with Edea, she looked below her, the SeeDs already gathered. It was time to end their meddling. Dropping down from on high, she landed gently on the auditorium stage, barely aware that she had shettered a glass scoreboard on her descent. The glass fell about her like rain, catching the dim light of the room and illuminating her green eyes. It would end here.

"So the time has come," Ultimecia said with grandeur. "You're the legendary SeeD destined to face me? I must say that I am impressed...an impressive nuisance..." The SeeD looked back at her with a mixture of confusion and anger, as unreadable as he had always been to her. Frustrated with his insolent mind, she shouted, "Your life ends here!"

Seifer ran into the room and stood before her, hunched over in obvious pain. Still her anger toward him remained, and she looked upon his with disgust.

"Worthless fool." she hissed. Then, turning her attentions back to the SeeDs, she focused her dark powers. Seifer, of course, jumped forward, barely able to even walk, and muttering something challenging to his opponents. Within mere moments, he was dispatched by the gunblade of his better, once again lying before Ultimecia's feet.

"Defeated..." she mused. "Useless fool...enough play! SeeDs must die!"

Raising her hand into the air, she craeted a vortex, much as she had before, and began to draw away their strength. As all of her opponents fell abck from the force, she once again created another vortex, following that with spell after spell. Her magic, however, was having little effect.

(I will not let you kill my children...)

(This is not your fight! Get out of my way!)

(NO!)

The diversion was all the SeeDs needed. Distracted, Ultimecia could do nothing as the gunblade of her enemy tore across her chest, sending a rending pain through Edea's body that made the host cry out in pain. Dropping to the ground, Ultimecia could feel Edea push her out, an unconscious move aided by the force of the blow. For a moment, she sat in empty space, looking over the room as if a ghost, watching as Edea tried to stand weakly before her "children." Most had fallen unconscious from the force of Ultimecia's departure, but the future sorceress herself did not yet comprehend what had happened.

"What has happened?" Ultimecia asked herself, silent now to all but herself. "Why am I still here?"

A happy thought occured to her as she floated in limbo. She was still there because there was a link she had opened but never fully closed. Looking to Rinoa, she let out a cackle so loud that it resounded through eternity, yet remained nothing more than a chilling, subconscious after thought to those before her.

"Oh, Rinoa...I must borrow you for a moment." Without warning, she grabbed ahold of the link and took over Rinoa's mind. Before the girl knew what had happened, she was in control. While the others were busy, she crept over to Seifer who lay quietly on the ground. Putting Rinoa's hands upon his chest, she quickly healed him and spoke quietly in his ear.

"Oh my loyal knight, Seifer. The sorceress is alive...the sorceress demands."

(Who...Edea? Is that you, Matron?)

(No, Seifer, your sorceress is not the Matron...your sorceress is me...look into my thoughts and my heart...look for the answers you seek. I am here with you, but I am not...I am lost in time t you...but soon, we will be together.)

(I see you...my sorceress...you are so radiant...)

(And you, my knight, must stand now...)

She smiled, still not used to Rinoa's body, but able to move about well enough to speak to him once again.

"Find the legendary Lunatic Pandora, said to be hidden beneath the ocean. Only then shall the sorceress provide you with dreams again."

Seifer stood and nodded to his sorceress. "As you wish, Ultimecia." Walking from the room, he disappeared through the doorway, and Ultimecia was able to watch him leave before she heard a weak voice call out from somewhere in Rinoa's mind.

(...Squall...I'm scared!)

"Who is there!?" Ultimecia blurted, "Get out!"

(SQUALL!)

(What did you say?!)

(Squall, help me please!)

(Shut UP!)

The force of Rinoa's will was stronger than Ultimecia had anticipated. The girl was abnormally strong in terms of spirit, and in then end, she had to force her body unconscious to subdue her. As if grabbing Rinoa's soul, Ultimecia gagged her with her own will.

(You will shut up when I order you to.)

(What is going on? Who are you?)

(I am Ultimecia...I am you, now.)

(But why?!)

(We have a great deal of time to get to know one another, Rinoa. For now, I want to know why you uttered the name 'Squall.' How do you know of him?)

(...)

(Very well, we have all the time in the universe. You will tell me, however. I can make this body of yours do some painful things...)

(Squall! Help me please!)

(Shut up!)

(No! Squall will save me! I have his ring, he has to save me!)

(You...have his...)

(...)

(...his...ring? No...you lie...)

(..no! I do! I...)

(...you do have the ring...but how...was Edea telling the truth?)

(I don't know! Please just let me go now!)

(...another...Squall? But who did I...then where is...)

(Please...you're hurting me...please leave me alone!)

(...how can there be two? What does this mean? He...loves you? No...that cannot be...but...)

(Squall! Please! Help me!)

(Bring her to me, Ultimecia...bring her to me in Esthar...)

(Yes...bring her to Adel...)

(Adel? What are you talking about!? Let me GO!!)

(No, Rinoa...you are to serve a great purpose. How would you like to be the one who relieves the suffering of billions? How would you like to end all wars forever, and let there never again be another act of violence or brutality? How would you like to save us all from ourselves...from the endless, thoughtlessly cruel procession of time? You have that opportunity now, Rinoa. We can end it all if you will cooperate with me.)

(What do you plan to do?)

(I am going to accomplish the final goal of the Great Hyne. I am going to free all living things from the horrid cycle of reality that has for so long been the source of misery and despair.)

(Squall will save me...)

(...Squall...)

(...he will not let you harm another living thing!)

(Have you not listened to a word I have just said?!)

(I can see what you are thinking, so I do not lneed to listen...you are so angry, and the images just flash inside of my mind...they hurt...)

(Try living with them for an indefinite period of time. You will come to appreciate my views all the more.)

(...you love Squall, too...but he looks so young in your mind...I can see that it is him that you remember, but...)

(What?)

(...what happened to that love? I can feel it inside of you, but it is like it is gone, replaced with something else.)

(You had best watch your mouth, you stupid little mortal tramp. I don't know what you did to gain his love, but I will get it back...)

(How? You don't even know what he looks like!)

(..........my, my, my, aren't we brazen now? What makes you think that I cannot just cause this body to jump off of a cliff?)

(Because, you said it yourself, you need me...)

(Fine, for now, you are spared. However, when I am through with you, you shall die.)

(Squall!)

(...)

......

Climbing slowly from Junction Machine Ellone, Ultimecia looked at the digital time readout on the back wall. Her eyes, physically unaccustomed to the light, were assaulted by even the dim numbers on the clock. Narrowing them to see how long she had been in the past, she nearly gasped. According to the clock, four weeks had passed since she entered. Now, drained from all of her expenses of power, she collapsed on the laboritory floor, Catoblepas instantly at her side.

"...being thrown from Edea...I must have skipped time...I was but gone for a few hours..."

"Please be still, my Sorceress," the beast growled, and with careful movements, he lifted her with its forepaws and lifted her over its head, gently placing her on its back. "You need your rest now."

The urge to jump from her guardian's back and crawl back into theMachine was intense, but no match for the physical stress her body felt. Every muscle seemed useless, her eyelids haevy. The conversation she had had with Rinoa was overwhelming to her...another Squall? Well, it certainly couldn't be HER Squall, the one who so long ago had promised himself to her. And Adel...she had told her to bring Rinoa to Esthar. How could she manage that? As of the moment, she was far to weak to get back into the Machine. All she had the strength to do was maintain that link that she had with Rinoa. All other things must wait. Certainly, Rinoa would be as drained as Ultimecia herself, and would offer no resistance when she went back to her. No, she had to rest, but the Sorceress knew that she could certainly use that connection to check in with Rinoa on occasion.

"...take me...to my bed..." Ultimecia commanded. Heading to the large elevator, Catoblepas did just that, moving quickly but softly to his master's bed. When he arrived in her room, Ultimecia's handmaiden was already inside.

"See to it that she is not disturbed." Catoblepas told the maid as she lifted the Sorceress from its back. The maid could only nod, the routine proceedure doing nothing to ease her mind around the giant monster. When it saw that its master was secure in her bed, it crawled into a corner of the large room and turned into mist, the cloud of purple energy swirling in place.

Although in bed, Ultimecia was not asleep. Her eyes were closed tightly with fatigue, but her mind raced, placing each of the elements that she had discovered into position. She needed Lunatic Pandora first. With Rinoa secure, she had a vessle to get to Adel, but what would she do then? Normally, the information about time compression seemed to come naturally to her, but now it was as great a mystery as it had ever been. Perhaps once she knew where or how to get Ellone involved it would become more clear. What she needed was something to take her mind off of the chaos for just a moment...something that had been in the back of her mind.

"...sand kastles..." she muttered, her mind returning to the present. Weakly, she called out for her maid. When the young girl was at her bedside, she spoke softly but clearly. "Bring Dr. Cyas to me. Now."

The maid bowed and skitted out of the room quickly. In a moment, she would return, but until then, it would be best to put herself at ease and check in with her newest self.

(Rinoa...)

(Ultimecia! Please! Let me go! I am so scared!)

(And you think that I am not? I am on the verge of my greatest dream! I am about to fullfill the wishes of Hyne herself! Now, I only need you.)

(But how will you get me to Esthar?! What do you plan to do?)

(Nothing. If I know correctly, Edea will be seeking help from the only person in her era who can help her to fight against me...she is a moral woman, but rather dim. If Squall loves you as much as you think he does, then he will bring you along. I cannot count on this, but it is the most likely scenario I can come up with. In the end, you will get there one way or another, so do not worry. If nothing else, I have someone who will bring you to Adel if the others fail to do so.)

(You mean Seifer...)

(Hmm...you feel something for him, too, don't you?)

(I don't know what else besides revulsion.)

(Again, you are suddenly so brave. In the end, you might make a wonderful sorceress.)

(...)

(...well, we will see in time.)

Dr. Cyas walked into the room and knelt before the bed, his head bowed low. Opening her eyes, Ultimecia smiled at him weakly and breathed, "Oh, doktor...it is so wonderful to see you again. Have you kompleted konstruktion?"

The doctor nodded slowly, his face worn, eyed blood-shot and teary from lack of sleep. "We have, your Excellency...in fact, I have just now newly arrived from the site. All is waiting for you."

"Then you were ahead of schedule," Ultimecia said with a slight air of surprise. "I am very pleased. What about Lunatik Pandora?"

"It has been risen and awaits your command, Sorceress of Great Life."

Then...I may rest for a moment...you have done extremely well, doktor...you shall also rest now."

Dr. Cyan bowed again and stumbled away, too tired to remain in place to finish his obeisance. "Your words please me, your Grace, I am honored." He trailed off as he left the room, shutting the door behind him.

"Our home is ready, Squall..." she whispered to herself, feeling her mind finally catch up with her body. "Now the final preparations may be made."

......

The structure was indeed massive, and from the looks of the stonework, very well built. Standing on the beach, Ultimecia clapped her hands with joy, an honor guard of soldiers surrounded her as well as three battalions of the Esthar army. The scientists of the Academy, all rested up from their ordeal, looked proudly on as their leader examined the structure that they had prepared for her, resting over the water on a massive floater. Artists and contractors who also worked on it were on hand to view the ceremony, as were a host of locals from the New Balamb settlement who looked on in amazement at the facility that now dominated their coastline.

Dressed in her finest robes, Ultimecia looked to the great chain that had been embedded deep within the earth. Professor Eldrin had told her that the main block had been drilled to sit a mile into the surface of the solid stone before them, passing even the seabed and drilling down into the ocean floor. Following the chain with her eyes, Ultimecia looked to her new castle with adoration. Gargoyles, demons and other intricately carved figures decorated the exterior, and if her designes were followed, they would also decorate the interior. Great towers extended upward, holding a massive clock that would not begin to work until she was within.

"The Machine has also been transported within?" she asked, looking back to the scientists. Professor Eldrin nodded happily.

"Yes, your Grace, it has been positioned under your throne, just as you had requested. Of course, this means that the throne had to be elevated to allow for the Machine to fit within the design perameters that already existed, but a stairway has also been aded that can be withdrawn or set up at will."

After meeting with Dr. Cyas four days previous, she had given those instructions to her design team. Now, all rested, she was ready to add the final touch. Stretching out her arms grandly, she paused for effect, a small, child-like sense of pride bubbling up from deep within her. Quickly suduing it, she chided herself silently for allowing that emotion to surface. Then, with a great flash of white light that forced the onlookers to shield their eyes, the castle began to shudder, lifting slowly off of the floater. As it began to rise, it pulled at the chain until it was unable to float any higher than it had. It was done.

People clapped wildly, whistling and "Oohing" at her handiwork. Smiling, she nodded to her honor guards, who brought a small floater over to her. Stepping onto it, she was joined by Dr. Cyas, Professor Eldrin and twelve of her guards. As the floater levitated toward the castle, Ultimecia felt the breeze tickle the bare skin that was exposed by her revealing robes. She wanted to stretch out her arms and shout to the sky, but even as she did, her own sense of darkness kept her from any such notion.Still, she allowed herself the slight pleasure of the breeze, letting it throw her long hair behind her like a train of gray silk.

"I often wonder why I was kreated," she said off-hand to her scientists. "I wonder why I was meant to end what kould have just as easily never have even started in the first place." She looked up to the castle and saw that they were almost there. "I know why now. Seeing wonderful things like this...knowing that they kannot last forever...non-existence will be such a great blessing to us all. No more disappointments."

The two men exchanged looks and merely nodded, even though Ultimecia was speaking more to herself than anyone else. As the floater stopped moving before the main entrance of the castle, Ultimecia stepped off and slowly took the stairs. Being before the castle, seeing it just as she had envisioned it in her thoughts, it left no doubt in her mind that they were almost there.

(Mommy, Callie...look! My sand castle! Isn't it beautiful?)

Despite the pain that their absence left her, she could feel a knot of pride well up within her that she simply could not quell. Looking over her shoulder, she clutched her hands together as if trying to hold in her own happiness. For one of the rare, brief moments, the sorceress powers abated, and she let out a melodious laugh far different from the malevolent cackles she had uttered before. Then, just as soon as it had come, she could feel the sickening, cold sensation of her soul being once again blanketed in her multi-faceted hatred. At the very least, she thought, fighting back tears, she could count on the darkness to keep her in check even when she did not want to be. It would ensure her that the goal would never escape her because of her inability to focus. Still, the back-and-forth of her emotions were getting worse, and even more maddening. Each time she lost her joy, it felt all the more terrible. It would all be dead soon...and by then the pain would be too much to bear. She had to act again.

"Show me to my throne room," she snapped, and the scientists and guards hastened to obey, jolted in surprise by the sudden change in their master's demeanor. Silently, they led her down the darkened halls, the low-lit torches and candles set to her exact specifications. As they walked, she noticed the finest in antiques and other finery that made up the decor, "donated" by the many families of the Etharian aristocracy.

"My guardians have already arrived?" she asked, continuing her stride.

"They have, my Sorceress," one of the honor guards replied.

"Then we may begin the final preparations. Dr. Cyas, Professor Eldrin, tonight you will position Lunatik Pandora over the specified point."

"It will be done, Sorceress Ultimecia," Eldrin said quietly, his elderly voice pained with the weariness of age. As they approached the final stairwell, she turned on her followers and said, "You are all no longer needed but to fullfill the duties I have set aside for you. Get back to Esthar and finish them. I will be here from now on."

Bowing, they all turned from her and walked back out of the room, ready to set Ultimecia's final plans into motion. After all of her planning, it would finally work. She needed to get back to the Machine. Taking the stairs two at a time, she found her throne room easily. It was at the end of a long, lonely outdoor walkway that was accessable only from a thin iron ladder. She, however, floated down to the walkway and continued her pace without pause. When she reached the throne room, she ordered the doors open with a slight wave of her hand. She would not move from this room for quite some time.

Stepping inside, she noticed that the throne was indeed elevated above the floor. A floater was in place that she could access, and stepping onto it, it brought her up. Looking over the open, circular room, she sighed and sat down, smoothing out her dress as she did so absently, aware that for the first time, she was not only alone in spirit, but now physically so.

"I have no time for this," she then muttered, disgusted at her own irresponsible and unneccessary thoughts. Plcaing her hands on the arm rests of her throne, she could feel her sorceress powers merging with the unique machinery of Junction Machine Ellone. They had done a superb job in translating its abilities to her throne, she noted, before she was transported back into Rinoa's body.

The first thing that she noticed was that Rinoa was still unconscious. Even though Ultimecia had made sure that a part of her mind always dwelled in Rinoa's, she was surprised at how effective it had been. Rinoa, it appeared, was not as strong as the Sorceress had initially thought. Now, all she had to do was decide what to do next.

(Are you going to kill me?)

(No, Rinoa...not yet. We have work to do, my dear.)

(What are you going to do?)

(The fools...they brought her to Esthar! She is so close to me now, Ultimecia, so very, very close!)

(How close?)

(I can see her...she is lying on a small table that overlooks my prison...bring her to me...have her release me and we shall set the final plans into place!)

(Ready to go for a walk, Rinoa?)

(No, you can't let her out!)

(I can, Rinoa, and I will.)

.......

Ultimecia opened "her" eyes and looked about her. She was in a sort of chamber that was definately of Esthar origin, but her surroundings were very unfamiliar indeed. Standing tall, she took a step toward the door, following Adel's silent promptings in her own mind. Just out this door and down the corridor...

"Aaargghh!" Ultimecia suddenly cried out, feeling her mind shake violently. Stunned, she looked around to look her her attacker, realizing at once that she would not have felt anything had someone struck Rinoa's body. The attack had come from Rinoa herself!

"You little bitch!" Ultimecia shrieked back, forcing Rinoa to cower much the way Edea had done, only Rinoa somehow had regained some of her muscular control. Fighting against the resistance of her mortal peer, Ultimecia stepped forward slowly, swaying back and forth as she did so, Rinoa dogging her eyery step, her path seemingly slowed by an unseen quagmire. Pushing forward, she could feel Rinoa's body pulsing with the energy of their conflicting spirits, a force that seemed to push at the very atoms in the air, distorting the light about them.

(I won't let you do this!)

(You have no choice!)

She could feel Adel guide her, but just barely. Her fight with Rinoa was taking up most of her strength. Ahead of her was a small room with some barely distinguishable human shapes. They must be prison guards of some sort, she reasoned, unable to make the determination and see what Rinoa could clearly see was really there. Regardless, she walked up to a sort of console unmolested and pressed a small series of buttons as guided again by Adel.

(You now must come to me...)

Smiling, Ultimecia could look out the window to the black void of space about her. Although the stars blurred together, she could make out the shape of Adel's containment field. Walking back out, she managed to gain a bit more control over Rinoa's body, walking up a set of stairs to a locker room that contained a set of spacesuits.

(You have positioned Lunatic Pandora in place in your own time? Your Seifer has done the job admirably in this era. The Lunar Cry begins!)

(It has all been taken care of. But why the Lunar Cry? You never told me.)

(It is what Hyne had been trying to accomplish for so long...the placement of the Crystal Pillar that is contained within Lunatic Pandora over Tear's Point creates a great deal of temporal energy, but not enough to open up a hole in the fabric of time. But, if you were to place TWO of them in the same point in different eras...)

(...the energy would link! It could not help but allow anyone the ability to slip in and out of any era they chose!)

(Correct...and that person would then exist in ALL eras, allowing them to come together and bring all of those elements into one manageable package...time compression...)

(But what about the Lunar Cry?)

(Merely a side-effect of the process, my dear child. All we need do now is combine our strengths. You give your powers to Me, and when I travel back, you shall inherit both of ours at once, giving you control over the time itself...we will not even need Ellone Loire!)

(And then...we can escape this cycle forever!)

She looked over to the release hatch and smiled inwardly. Gravity gave way, but she could not even feel it. Using the small jets on the suit, Ultimecia piloted Rinoa over to the containment field, closing in on Adel. Looking up at the elder sorceress, Ultimecia stopped for a brief moment and wrinkled her nose.

(Time has not been very kind to you, Adel...)

(...just release me now.)

Slowing her momentum, Ultimecia stopped short and pressed the buttons next to Adel's prison and looked up as the Sorceress's glowed a menacing red. She had done it!

(How will you get back to Earth?)

(THEY will carry me.)

(They? That's right, the Lunar Cry...)

(Correct. Now...I need your powers.)

(I already handed them to you. Through Rinoa, the process is simple. It is her body that feels all of the pain, isn't that right, Rinoa?)

(...)

(Poor dear, I guess it is time I let you go...you have been very helpful to me!)

(...you would...let me...die out...here?!)

(Oh, I wouldn't worry, Rinoa...after all, Squall will come to save you, right? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!)

(I...)

(Don't worry, Rinoa. Once Adel and I are finished, the pains of death will cease for all...even a worthless little whore such as you. I am going. Do NOT fail to find Edea, Adel.)

(Finally, my sister, the dreams of Hyne...of ourselves and the end to our hellish prisons...all of them shall be concluded in the manner prescribed by fate.)

(Not fate, Adel...by me!)

(What?!)

(Farewell!)

......

She left Rinoa there to die in space, ready to begin her final action: preparing to receive the powers of Adel and Edea through the hole they had made in time. Drained of her own abilities, all she could do was sit in her throne and wait for the time when it would all end. This was what she had been waiting for, and now, after all of her efforts, it would finally come to pass! Throwing back her head, she smiled at the orangish evening sky. The clouds, passing just above her throne obscured her vision for but a moment. She could finally relax and enjoy her victory, allowing even her thoughts to run free, all of them overjoyed with the idea of a final cleansing. It would not be long, she knew.

Calling for a small demon, she bade it to bring her her ceremonial red robe that she had fashioned after Hyne's own from archaic sketches. Retiring for a moment to the chambers behind her throne, she sat there, watching as the open-aired dressing room filled with a cool breeze. After it had died down, Ultimecia began to set her hair just as Hyne had done, in two huge, horn-like spikes that jutted from her head. That being done, she applied the ceremonial paints and looked herself over. She was the perfect conclusion to Hyne's beginning, a mirror image of the beautiful ArchSorceress herself.

"I am going back to my throne," she told the demon. "Bring me a bottle of champagne to celebrate this momentous event!"

The demon bowed, and with delight in herself, she once more ascended to her throne and sat, watching birds soar majestically overhead. Soon, not even they would exist. Nothing would...the trees, the rocks, the boulders, the plataeus; all things that she had dreampt of as a child would cease to be, and she the agent of their undoing! Satisfied with herself beyond the point of rapture, she almost did not notice a tiny thought enter her mind. After a short while, she recognized it as a voice...Seifer's voice.

(My Sorceress...)

(This power that I gave to you was ONLY to be used in times of emergency, Seifer.)

(And this is an emergency, m'lady. Our spies in Esthar have infomed us that Edea Kramer no longer has the powers of Hyne. She is no Sorceress.)

(What?! Then who is...?)

(I looked into that. It is Rinoa Heartily. What should I do?)

(Nothing...she is dead...)

(Not so! She was rescued from space and is currently here inside of Lunatic Pandora. Squall and the other SeeDs are with her.)

(...)

(What should I do?)

(Bring Rinoa to Adel. The Sorceresses must be as one, is that understood?)

(Perfectly, Ultimecia...I take my leave...)

(Seifer...)

(Yes, m'lady?)

(It will be nice to finally see you...however briefly that may be...)

(I am honored, my lady.)

(Go now...see to it that the SeeDs do not survive and that Adel is granted her junction with the new sorceress.)

(Your wish is my command.)

With that, Seifer was gone, and Ultimecia left toponder these new developments. Squall from that era was a SeeD? How did Seifer know him by name? The very thought of Squall fighting against her, alongside the witch that had gained Edea's skills...Ultimecia could think of little worse.

"If that was who he chose, then that is whom he shall die for...Sorceress Rinoa's knight. Hmph!" Sitting back, she could feel the drain on her body become more apparent. Until she regained hers and Adel's powers, she could not afford to link to another mind. The process was by far too draining. Closing her eyes, she fell back in her throne, happily letting sleep overtake her.

......

No dreams. No thoughts. Nothing had disturbed Ultimecia during her slumber. At first, it was so peaceful that she almost sank into it, letting her mind wander, so complete was the experience, so relaxing. Then, she thoughts that she might have missed her chance with time compression, and she struggled against sleep, angry with herself that she had left a few moments of physical relief ruin years of patient effort and plotting.

When she was successful in awakening, however, she was relieved to find that nothing had yet transpired. It was dark outside, but still no word from Adel. The process, Ultimecia knew by her her own experiences with time manipulation, could take anywhere from a fraction of an instant to several hours. Perhaps it was that thought that had caused Ultimecia to leap in surprise when she heard Adel's voice.

(It is done, our powers are now yours, but be ready...others will be with you. Ellone Loire has disrupted the process somehow!)

(I will be ready...is it the SeeDs.)

(Yes. But now...watch as the world is remade about you!)

Breaking the connection, Ultimecia threw stood and threw out her arms, a pair of wings forming at her back. Using these, she softly floated upward within the protective sphere she had cast about her castle. The time compression would not yet affect her until she was ready for it to. All about her, the air seemed to groan with a strange force, the physical elements bending under the pressure of time being pushed into her hands.

Light began to seep from the clouds, the ground burning with impossible friction as it was ripped apart and run together with unimaginable force. From the light of the sun bled other lights, these drawing in the light from about them and scattering it about the landscape, illuminating an awesome sight. Wide eyed, Ultimecia looked below her as civilizations were born, destroyed and rebuilt, people evolving from puddles of nothing to the state of which she had always known them...all within a few seconds. Water filled the ocean about her and drained into the void of time, only to be filled yet again by a dramatic downpour from the heavens. In the distance, she could see the sun on the horizon bending to the will of time, further proof of the extent of her newfound powers.

Then, as soon as all of it had happened, it ended, and Ultimecia was left with an incredible sensation burning within her mind. She had done it! She had achieved time compression! Throwing back her head with a wild cackle, she let her cry pierce the very orb of time that although was all about her, now centered entirely within her grasp.

"What awesome power! I am a GOD!" she cried, her voice carried across the empty landscape around her. "What shall I do first? Ha ha ha...how about import a few old friends?"

With a mere thought, a group of SeeDs appeard on the beach where her castle was anchored. Looking down at them as would a man looking down at an ant, she laughed as they looked about themselves, confused as to their surroundings.

"Now, DIE!" she commanded, and the SeeDs fell to the ground as though they had been dead the whole time. "Live!" Again, they stood up slowly, regaining their strength. Just as they stood again, she cried out once more, "Now DIE!"

Falling to the ground, the SeeDs remained motionless, and she looked them over with an amused smirk. What she could do with her powers! Everything that ever had, did or would happen was hers to manipulate! With a gesture of her hand, she placed a whole school of blue wales into the waters below, a flock of birds into the air.

"Let the SeeDs kome," Ultimecia called out to the air, and descended to her throne. They could be her one last victory before she ended it all. All of the knowledge contained within her mind encompassed everything...she could access any thought, and spell, and emotion, any feeling...it was beyond description. Forgetting about both Seifer and Squall, she reveled in her powers. Nothing could stop her now!

"Time has kome to an end! No longer will you hold me here! I will be free!" Motioning with her hand, Catoblepas appeared before her. Confused by its sudden appearance in its master's presence but none the less ready to serve, the beast bowed slightly and growled its obeisance.

"My Sorceress?"

"Katoblepas," she mused, barely able to sit within her throne as the powers that she weilded seemed to course through her body as though an electric current. "be ready. The SeeDs somehow survived the kompression. I kannot end time until they are disposed of. I know that you and the others will not disappoint me in slowing their progress. All I need is a few hours to prepare for the final rites."

"It shall be done," it growled in reply. Nodding, Ultimecia sent it back to its post. Then, she felt something quite familiar to her...

"Rinoa..." she breathed. The young Sorceress was at the front doors...and Squall was with her...she could feel the repulsive feeling of another's love for the one she had devoted her heart and long suffering to.

"You may die in one another's arms, then...and feel the torment of an eternity of death! Yes, I will create a special reality just for the two of you to writhe in for all time!"

These were the last moments. So soon in coming, she had never really thought of what to do with her time. Now, as the end drew near, she found herself almost regretting the moment, as though she had the infinite powers of eternity in her grasp, and now she was about to give them up for the sake of ending what was truthfully a relative amount of torment from actions in the past.

"The past..." she mewed to herself, "I AM the past! I am the present and the future! What I wish to be is, and what I will never to have happened never will have happened! What do I have to be sad about?"

This realization hit her like a bolt of lightning, and tilting back her head, she let out another sky-rending cackle that shook the very stars in their place, reverberating across time and dulling the pain even more. Let the SeeDs come! They would serve her in her new kingdom, one where she would forever be the queen, one where she would never feel the pain of loss again, for she would be the one who decided who would feel and who would not; she would be the one who determined when and where the planets were made...all things were hers to control, and even the powers that be would have to bow before her, Ultimecia, child of the alleys, master of their fate.

Sitting alone in her throne, she could barely sense the death of Krysta, so powerful were the omnipotent surges of power that coursed through her veins. When the Iron Giant fell, she did not even notice. One by one her guardians perished, and all Ultimecia could do was wait for their killers to arrive and face her. Let them, she thought, look upon the face of their goddess for the first and last time before she began their eternal servitude.

(I...have disgraced you...)

It was Tiamat's voice, his dying thoughts so strong, so powerful that she could not help but hear them.

(Then they are on their way here?)

(Yes, my Sorceress...the others are gone now...I am sorry...)

Hmph, let him be sorry. It would be a fitting end to a useless creature to die in shame, though she did not expect any of them to be able to defeat the SeeDs, not with Rinoa the Sorceress among their number; not when it was her destiny to destroy them herself.

"Oh, Kallie, Mother, if only you could feel this power...if only I kould somehow kreate human lives rather than transport them...but when I kan't even see your faces..."

Childhood...that was what she had always wanted to recapture. Now, if she could just focus long enough on it, reach back and focus inward...but her new powers shook her mind savagely whenever she tried, as though her sorceress abilities had intermingled with the time compression, not allowing her the ability to look back into her own life. All she could do was be content for the moment and wait.

She did not have to wait long. The doors to her throne room were then pushed open, allowing entry to her inner sanctum to the SeeDs. Without any ceremony of bravado, they stepped within, looking up to her with grim faces. Such familiar faces they were, too! One of them, however, she focused on at one moment, the dark forces within her reaching back into her mind and lighting up a lovely, male child's face, her Squall...the one who led the SeeDs now, standing before her with gunblade drawn, ready to unleash her blood without the slightest qualm or thought. A part of her, freed from her own mind, wanted to cry out to Squall, wanted to feel him hug her.

The darkness would not allow that. As soon as those feelings had come, they were pushed aside, forcing her eyes upon the girl who stood at Squall's side. Rinoa. Narrowing her eyes, she tried to speak, trying to find the words that would express her anger, her love, her fear...she felt as though she was ten years old again, without the ability to express herself for lack of the proper vocabulary. Recomposing herself, she threw out her hand in a grand gesture that masked her confusing emotions and shouted the only words that leapt to mind, the words that were uttered more by the darkness within than herself, the word that to her had been the focus of all her anger and hatred...her one driving force.

"...SeeD...SeeD...SeeD...SeeD SeeD SeeD! Kurse all SeeDs. Swarming like lokustss akross generations. You disgust me."

From the look of hatred in their eyes, she could see that the feeling was more than mutual. Emboldened by her harsh words, she continued, sitting tall and proud before those who would fall to her awesome powers.

"The world was on the brink of that ever-elusive 'time kompression'. Insolent fools. You vain krusade ends here, SeeDs! The price for your meddling is death beyond death. I shall send you to a dimension beyond your imagining. There, I will reign, and you will be my slaves for eternity! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

She looked over the SeeDs again and smiled, standing slowly from her throne. "Whom shall I exterminate first!? I'll start with you three!" Selecting the girl in the yellow and the two other males (one of who she recognized as Irvine from her thoughts,) she descended from her throne and blasted the three with lightning. Before they could react, she did so again, and again, and again, until she was sure that they had been at least knocked unconscious. This done, she formed the atoms about them into little cherubims that were in all reality portals into the new reality she had constructed for them in her mind. With a malevolent laugh, she had annihilated three without even trying.

From the side came a glimmer of steel, and a violent push back to the left. Stumbling slightly, Ultimecia looked to see the one she now knew as Squall beside her, gunblade dripping red. Looking down at her side, she could see a clean gash in her side that had been cauterized by the heat of the gunblade's discharge. Looking to him with rage in her eyes, Ultimecia threw her hands back and blasted him with a concentrated fire burst. As he careened into the wall, she advanced on him, until a stinging strike hit her head. Turning now to a blonde haired girl, she tried to focus, her body jarred by the assault, her mind reeling with anger.

With a simple motion, she pulled in thw gravity above the girl's head and watched as it caught her in the field. This done, the blonde could do little else than fall to the ground. With another smile, Ultimecia snet another cherubim down to her, sending her to join her friends.

This delay had cost her, however, as the one she should have been most worried about advanced on her quickly, casting an ice spell that froze Ultimecia in place. With her own powers, Ultimecia melted the ice and sent a cloud of poison overhead, which Rinoa countered with a tornado spell, blowing it away and throwing Ultimecia into the air, only to land violently on the marble floor below.

Ultimecia stood and wiped a thin trail of blood from her mouth, glaring at Rinoa, who was helping Squall to his feet. Clutching her ring in her hand, she rose into the air, and raised her hand above her head.

"The most powerful GF," she breathed dangerously. "You will suffer! Ha ha ha!"

Shooting the ring to the ground, she could feel its powers merge with her own, the power that she had built up within it beginning to awaken. Freeing itself finally, the beast she had known as Griever emerged gloriously, a large, lion-like monstrosity with huge leathery wings and a long barbed tail. Using her powers, Ultimecia sent them all to a large, rocky ledge that floated in the air. The only thing she could not touch with her time compression abilities were the two of her opponents, maddeningly free from her superior might.

From a fold in time, she watched as Griever engaged her foes. The beast moved swiftly, Squall able to strike quickly, Rinoa defending the both of them with her own special incantations. The girl had managed to control her powers quite well... far better than Ultimecia had when she first gained them. Regardless of this, she could see that with all of Griever's might, it was losing.

"The GF's true power..." she muttered, almost to herself as to the SeeDs. Sending out a thought to the beast, she commanded him to unleash of all his gained strength. "Allow me to show you! Griever! Make them bleed!"

A great flash of light pulled Squall and Rinoa up into the heavens, and after another flash of light, they were thrown back down, Rinoa cushioning their fall with her powers. With a great cry, Squall leapt forward and assaulted Griever viciously, as though the full force of the GF's might had done nothing to faze him. The SeeD rained down blow upon blow, the thick, blaskish blood of her beloved guardian beginning to gush from every strike. Landing back upon the ledge, Squall sank to his knees for a moment, out of breath.

(My Sorceress! It...hurts?! What is this that I am feeling?!)

(I am here, my treasure...do not worry...)

Stepping from her fold in time, Ultimecia focused her strength and compressed her own spirit into a ball of energy.

"I shall junction myself unto Griever!"

Merging with Griever's spirit, she could feel the beast within cling to her, like a frightened child hiding behind his mother. Reassuringly, she copaxed the beast into allowing them to form once more, until when she next opened her eyes, she was staring down at Rinoa and Squall from within the very chest of her Guardian. Without a word, she blasted them with a greenish orb of power, a conglmoeration of her other skills. Again, Rinoa shielded them from her powers, and again Ultimecia tried to cast once more. Again, she met with failure.

Squall leapt in and began to slash at Ultimecia, ignoring the beast about her. She tried to war away the blows, but had her hands lopped off for the attempt. Shrieking in pain, she could feel her control over Griever's dying spirit begin to wane. What was going wrong? How could her powers be so useless to her!? Unable to withstand the force that Squall brought down upon her, she gave up hold on Griever, feeling his terror as the final gunblade stroke pierced the GF's heart.

(Good bye, Griever...I am so sorry...)

Disbelief and pain prevented Griever from responding. Now, without body, Ultimecia could but watch as hers and Griever's shell dissipated in a great pillar of light. Then, there was darkness...

......

(You failure...you allowed them to get at you...now what do I do? What was it? Why did I lose?)

She knew, in her heart, what it was. Hyne was punishing her. She had found the ultimate gift, and she had almost squandered it on pathetic vanity and pride. She could not use her time compression for herself past ridding herself from the bonds of time itself. Hyne, in all of her wisdom, had shown her that. Chastening herself for her foolishness, Ultimecia could feel her spirit begin to grow, the darkness within manifesting itself outwardly, a new shell forming to replace the one lost to Griever.

"I am Ultimecia." she said to herself, as though trying on the name for the first time, freed from the binds of her own petty ambitions. "Time shall compress...all existence denied."

Looking down at the void, she could see that Squall and Rinoa had indeed followed her within her own dark soul, unable to go where ever they chose, they seemed bound to her, as though time was using them as its own weapon to defend itself. Glowing with the fury of her purpose, Ultimecia prepared to end them...and in doing so, ending time.

With a nod, she sapped away their strength, feeling her strength growing stronger as she did so. As she did, Rinoa healed the two of them. Slashing out with her claws, Ultimecia struck at Squall, who managed to slice off one of her fingers as she raked his chest. Not even noticing any pain, she cast another spell, this one forcing Rinoa's magics away from her.

"Reflect on your childhood..." Ultimecia said out loud, her mind trailing back to Callie's death. She could feel herself slipping away, even as she struggled against it. She had to hurry and destoy them!

Squall struck with his gunblade, slicing a fetid wound into the mass of flesh that made up her chest. It didn't matter how many times he hit her, she knew...time in the end was going to claim her. She had held onto the time compression for far too long...how stupid of her to imagine that she could hold onto it indefinately! Had her new form eyes, she would have shed tears of desperation as she cast spell after spell at her foes, feeling time unravel her very being.

"Your sensation, your words, your emotions..." Would Squall remember? No, this Squall was but a messenger of time, the shape she knew from her own mind, sent to herald her eternal torment. The Squall she knew was dead...killed by the silly choices of a sad little girl. The power began to flow from her as she half-heartedly attacked Rinoa and Squall. Time...it was winning.

"Time...it will not wait...no matter how hard you hold on...it escapes you...and..."

Looking once more at Squall, into those brown eyes that had first melted her heart above all of her abilities, all of her sensations, all of her hopes and dreams, she could feel those emotions plumet her into an anguish so deep that had she a physical heart, it would have burst. The final gunblade strike was merely symbolic. Unable to finish her words, she slipped away, time grabbing ahold of itself and reclaiming its rightful place as governor of order. The explosion of her soul mirrored that of her heart, watching as Squall faded from sight...her knight and her chosen executioner. It was over...and now she could await a lifetime of pain...a lifetime of nothing. Letting out a silent cry, there was a sudden pain, as though all of her muscles had been shredded simultaneously, before the true darkness swept over her.

......

There was nothing...only a white, empty space before her. All hue and chroma had been lost, all sense of feeling, of hearing...an emotional vacuum of endless scope. All about her extended a horrible plane of nothingness. Had they succeeded? Had time been restored? A sudden, agonizing thought overcame her, plunging her dark soul into the maddening realization that they had: there was no void, and she was dead. She had failed.

She felt as though she would cry, but her lifeless eyes only burned, her sorceress powers animating a corpse that was doomed to contain her tortured soul for all eternity. All of the efforts, all of her pain, thwarted by the one who promised that he would always protect her. Overcome by feelings of uselessness, she sank to her knees slowly, closing her eyes to shut out the light of the eternal prison that she would inhabit for all time. This was what she had feared all of her life, what she had fought to avoid. Throwing back her head, she wanted to shout out to the forces that held her, she wanted to plead with them to let her go...to explain that she was just a little girl. She wanted to die again, but from here, she knew, she could not. Her mind raced as she uttered her wordless cry, her small voice being absorbed by the hellish prison.

Ultimecia collapsed, exhausted at the idea of being trapped there forever, her powers faded, useless within the unseen walls of death. The only thing that had followed her in was her own torment and desperation, the two feelings that she had for years fought to crush beneath the veil of the void. Now, time, her mortal enemy, had her in its grasp, and indeed, it would never let her go...not when it had her now! She could envision her cruel jailor, a physical force that bound her to her own inner-hatred. Falling onto ther back, she looked up at the whiteness above her, at once flat and distant at the same time.

She stayed in that position for what felt like hours, although it could have been seconds or even years. Shapes began to dance across her eyes, her corneas burning from her refusal to blink. Her thoughts, now inept and without her powers to guide them, led her through her life, torturing her consciousness with images of the past that she had long forgotten...times from the alley, time from the beach and Callie's murder...Squall's eyes as she refused to leave her sorceress training behind her. These and more ripped a hole into her mind, like a physical drill, tearing a painful wedge between her sanity and her conscious mind. How could she survive for eternity in this horrible place? Desperation brought the tears forward, forcing them from emotions which swelled to the surface, emotions she thought she had killed long ago. Now, hidden from time behind a veil of emptiness, she cried openly, the long lost little girl that she had locked away free once more, only aware with great horror that it was far too late. At once faced with the numerous evils she had committed and freed from her shell, Ultimecia recoiled as if physically struck. Death had opened her eyes, but now...

A wrenching, bitter gall choked her throat, strangling her as she tried to speak, the soundless world around her pushing against her voice with tremendous force. She wanted to be able to hear herself cry, to know that she could still feel. Now, however, all she could do was struggle vainly against the eternal powers that bound her. It was agony upon agony, her body quaking with the realization that her life had become a twisted, sick joke ever since she had become a sorceress...all of her flase pride and worthless accomplishments - they all led her to damnation. The little girl now cried with all her might, her breaths coming in ragged, almost painful gasps. It was if she could not decide which was more important, to breath or to cry. It didn't matter, as she knew that she was trapped forever.

"No!" she thought, the child fully awake now, "please no!" With all her strength, she tried to force her thoughts forward, trying to reach someone, anyone who could hear her. She had to say that she was sorry...she had to explain to someone that she was not evil...that the sorceress was gone now and that she was a good little girl who always did what her mother told her to do. As she tried to think, she was pushed back by the mocking hands that held her, her thoughts inept in the cold emptiness around her.

"I am so sorry!" she cried out wordlessly to whomever she could reach, "please, someone, help me! Help me! I am a good little girl! Please!!"

As she cried, she could feel the evil leaving her, the darkness at once repulsed by what it viewed as her weakness as it was by the void that it wished to no longer reside within. Having lived with it for so long, she felt even emptier...bare and vulnerable to the forces of time without even an emotional shield to hide behind. But then, at the same time, with it gone, she could also see more clearly...

It was not time that held her back...nor was it any force of eternity. The good within her that she had forgotten she had could not shout out to the good she sought, for the darkness that held her would not allow it. Now, free from its hands, she could cry out mightily, her voice ringing through the air.

"Please forgive me! I am so sorry! I just want to be with my mommy and grammy again!"

With that, she watched on in silent amazement as a pink, almost invisible cloud appeared before her. Dancing slowly before her in mid air, it beckoned her to draw nearer, until she was finally standing inside of it. As she was covered by the mist, she could feel a sudden warmth, a feeling so intense that it coated her skin and sent shivers down her spine depite the heat. It was unlike anything she had ever felt before...a force that soothed and invigorated her at the same time. It was a feeling of pure love, but a love she had never known. Within her mind she could hear a voice calling out to her, gently consoling her and helping her to remove ther past from her mind.

"It is time," it said, "to cast aside the darkness..."

She knew what the voice meant.

......

She was weak, struggling on legs that seemed heavier than she had ever remembered them being. All about her, the colors of the world swirled and danced, no one thing standing out clearly in her mind but the lady before her, the one in the black dress who she knew very well indeed. She knew why she was here.

"I...can't disappear yet..." Ultimecia said weakly, her voice pleading with the lady before her to understand. She struggled toward her, head low and shoulders stooped, tired beyond measure...ready to finally rest. Unable to see anything but Edea Kramer, Ultimecia threw her arsm into the air with a gesture that took all of her strength, a motion that ripped the last of her powers away from her dead frame and transfered them unto the young woman before her. Before falling into the ground to rest, she mouthed the words "thank you" to Edea, a phrase which seemed insignificant to express the gratitude she felt...but the only one she had time to utter. As quickly as she had arrived and with even less fanfare, she was gone.

Then, as if she had never been left, Ultimecia was back in the emptiness, only this time she was not sad. Looking about her, she saw the people she had longed for for years. Running toward them, she opened her arms widely and hugged them both, sobbing happily as she buried her face between them, allowing them to hug her back warmly. They were more than just her family...they were her life...her love, her source of hope that she had searched for all her life, trying to find in darkness and evil, never realizing that it had been with her all along. The past behind her, she stopped caring about the evils that bound her, throwing herself now into the love of those about her, the feeling so fullfilling, so wonderful...the very thing she had been looking for all her life! She wanted to shout for joy, to show all of creation her feelings of happiness and share them with all life...to finally be free of her inner-hell and join the streams of life that cascaded before her eyes with a shimmering radiance unequalled in all the world...

The child shouted happily toward the heavens, at once overwhelmed in the love of her mother and grandmother, but also by the idea that she had been redeemed. As the three of them faded into eternity, she hugged them both as they all wordlessly cried for one another...finally a family. Memories flooded of all of the happiness that they had had together...and all of the joy that they would soon have, bound by a force so great that nothing would ever tear them apart again...no death to take them, no saddness to overcome them. In many ways, they were all children again. She could live with them forever now and reclaim that childhood she thought lost...the childhood that she had never had...the childhood that would last for all eternity.

"Mommy, Grammy...I love you..."

Fin

I would like to thank all those that took the time to read this work, but a special thanks goes out to my Calculus AB instructor, Mrs. Millard, my best friends Andy Mikkelson and Cynthia Anthony, and for all of you who have taken the time to read one of my more ambitious projects to date. I am well aware that I have created many themes within this work that I never developed. I suppose one could say that I was in a rush to bring this to you before it became to late.

If you have any questions concerning it or anything else I might have on RPGamer's site, then feel free to e-mail me. I very well could have made this into a more detailed novel, and maybe I will. My own vision for this work was not truly realized due to time constraints.

What do you think? I will be happy to receive any criticism that you have. Remember: the best Final Fantasy is the one that you make your own. I hope you liked this story, and I hope to have all of the other "childhoods" for the other Final Fantasy villains ready within the next few years!