Chapter Six: Call To Arms

The young man knocked on the conference room door. Locke interrupted his meeting to go and open it. He was given a folded piece of paper.

"The messenger said it was urgent, Mr. Cole, and that we were to make sure you got it right away." Locke told the young man to wait and unfolded the paper.

"Please go to Dr. Jones and ask him to fill in for me here. I have to leave."

"Yes, Mr. Cole, right away." The boy walked quickly back down the hallway.

Locke struggled with his jacket and papers as he half walked, half ran down the museum steps to the street. He was in a quandary and he was having trouble thinking straight. He had been called to Figaro Castle, along with the rest of the Returners. Terra was missing. She had gone out to run some errands and had failed to return home. There was no other information in the note, just that he was to get to Figaro Castle with all due speed. There was a problem, however: Celes. They had a standing promise to one another, never to go anywhere without the other. He had sworn to her on his life. But he could do that only because of Terra. How could he not help her now? Yet to do so might undermine his bond of trust with his wife. His mind swam. The only thing he could do was to go home and talk it through with Celes. Perhaps some solution could be reached that they could both live with. Locke sprinted up the steps to his house and went in. His eye was immediately drawn to the dining table. Celes already knew. She had read the note, he saw, because there lay his favorite sword, Graedus, freshly polished and gleaming brightly in the sunlight. But what was this? Lying alongside her was silvery Runic Blade!

"Celes?" Locke called.

"In the bedroom," she answered. "I'll be out in a second."

"Where are the kids?" asked Locke. Celes walked out of the bedroom, and crossed the room slowly, stopping in front of him.

"The childred are at the Duncans. They will keep them for us until we get home." Locke's eyes fixed on Celes, moving up and down. Five years fell away as he beheld her. There she stood, Celes Chere, by whose side he had fought down the Empire, just as he remembered her. Her figure was back, and she wore her trademark white leather like the teenager that she had been the last time she'd worn it.

"I've ordered everything we need from the item shop. I've packed armor for us both. I've had it all picked up and it's being delivered to our ship as we speak. It leaves port for Figaro in two hours. You have that long to adjust to the fact that you have to sail today." Locke shook his head and smiled in admiration.

"Are you sure about this, Celes? Gabriel is only five months old. Will he be alright with us being gone awhile?"

"He'll be okay, Locke. We won't be gone all that long, I hope. We don't have a choice anyway, which is what you know you came home to tell me. This is Terra. We can't stand by and not help. I know what you're thinking. But I'll be fine. As long as we're together I can handle anything. So can you."

Locke nodded. He had had a crisis of confidence in the wake of the Jidoor disaster. But the King's letter to him made it clear that he had been set up, and that Edgar did not blame him for the failure of the mission. And Locke himself finally came to realize what his problem had been: he was no longer just one person. His concentration had been broken by his separation from his wife. Celes was right. If she was at his side, he would be his old self.

Shrugging off his jacket, he walked into the bedroom to change. Celes had laid out all his old gear. In a minute, he was the old Locke Cole, Treasure Hunter. Celes came into the bedroom and stood next to him in front of the mirror. She encircled his waist and laid her head on his shoulder. He put his arm around her and leaned his cheek against her hair. They stood that way, looking at one another's reflection, remembering.

"Your figure is back." he remarked, noting that she wore his old bandana braided around her belt. "Good genes." she cracked. He smiled and squeezed her shoulder.

"Not bad for a couple of old married people." he said.

"Old married people with four children waiting to see us!" she replied. Celes straightened and looked up at him. "I told the kids we would be by before we left. We should go."

"Good," Locke said, turning to pick up his pack. "I want to spend a little time with them before we have to say good-bye."

"Cherry is going to have a fit." Celes said over her shoulder, as she went into the dining room to gather up Runic Blade.

-------------------------------------------------

Locke and Celes sat in the Duncan's parlor talking quietly as their children played around them. The kids didn't really grasp that their parents were leaving and were going to be gone for awhile. Celes held Gabriel up against her shoulder, and he watched the proceedings with alert interest, cooing his commentary. She suddenly looked over at the dining room doorway, and reached out to touch Locke's arm. Locke looked up, eyes widening. There stood Leander, dressed for the trail, a pack of gear hoisted up onto his shoulder. He wore a bandana around his head. Locke suppressed a smile.

"Going somewhere, Leander?" Locke asked.

"I'm going with you," Leander answered defiantly. "Don't try to stop me!" Locke sat back. "Leander, this is a dangerous mission. We can't guarantee your safety." Locke looked toward the Duncans for help. Mrs. Duncan shrugged, looking up at her husband, who stood by her chair. Duncan shook his head.

"I don't think we can stop him, Locke. He's a young man after all, only two years younger than your Celes was during the struggle against the Empire."

"But Celes was, well, bred for battle," Locke argued. "She may have been only eighteen chronologically, but in physical prowess and training, she was well beyond her years."

"You trained me in archery," Leander replied, "and I've won every tournament for the past three years. I can beat practically all the adults in distance and accuracy!"

Locke nodded. That was true.

"And Grandpa Duncan has been training me in the martial arts. He says I'm pretty good!" The boy looked to Duncan for support.

"He is quite capable of self-defense," Duncan agreed. "And I'd say he is competent in the area of offensive maneuvering."

Celes had been sitting, listening to the exchanges, and thinking. She thought she knew why Leander was so keen on accompanying them. The last time Locke went out on one of these missions, Leander had almost lost him. The boy did not want to sit home wondering and worrying about Locke again. He wanted to go along for one of the same reasons Celes herself was going along. He wanted to keep Locke in plain sight.

"He's Relm's age," Celes offered. "And he's not much younger than Gau."

"Relm was and is Strago's responsibility," Locke said stubbornly. "Leander would be ours. And Gau...I just don't want to take this kind of chance."

Leander walked over to Locke and set his pack down.

"How old were you, Locke, when you ended up on your own? My age? Sixteen? And how well prepared were you? You told me once that you had to learn to live by your wits because you were not a big strapping guy. You had to learn to run faster and disappear quicker than anyone else just to keep your hide."

Locke laughed. Leander had the whole story, all right, except that Locke was not sixteen when he found himself alone in the world, but just thirteen. A kid. A penniless child who had had to learn to steal in order to eat. It was what made him so protective of children. It was important to Locke that kids have their childhood, that they not grow up too fast. But Leander had a point, and he was determined. And he did seem to be at least as well prepared for the trail as Locke himself had been at sixteen. Locke and Celes would just have to watch Leander and keep him out of the tougher situations if they could. Locke looked once more at Duncan. The old man wasn't going to prevent this. Locke would have, in his place.

"All right, kiddo, all right." Locke pointed his finger at the boy. "But you do everything Celes and I tell you, when we tell you. And no arguments!"

"Okay! I mean, yes sir!" exclaimed Leander, breathless with excitement. "I promise!" Locke nodded and Celes, looking up at Leander, smiled and winked.

----------------------------------------------------

Locke was still a bit green around the gills as he took his place beside Celes at King Edgar's big council table. Would he ever get used to sailing? Setzer was here, Locke noted with relief. He hoped that meant that, wherever the Returners were bound that day, it would be by way of airship. Locke did not know how he would summon the courage to get back on another seafaring vessel so soon. Looking around to take his mind off his stomach, he saw that nearly everyone was here. Leander stood talking to Strago and Relm, Sabin sat on Celes' right and was talking quietly with her. Edgar had even gotten Mog to come. Cyan, Locke knew, was now Edgar's Lord Chancellor and would be coming in with the King. Gau was missing. That was odd; Gau was devoted to Terra. Locke hoped that nothing had happened to Gau as well. A servant quietly entered the chamber and approached Sabin.

"Highness," he said in a low voice, then whispered in Sabin's ear.

"Excuse me, Celes, I'll be back shortly." Setzer took Sabin's seat and began to chat with Locke and Celes.

Sabin entered the castle suite he and his new wife were occupying until the renovations on his own South Figaro residence were completed. He called out to Princess Rowena.

"I'm told that Her Highness has requested my presence. What is it?" Rowena entered from the bedroom and smiled. She was fair skinned, with rich dark brown hair and eyes, petite in stature and build, a study in contrasts with Sabin's muscular blondness. She was of a rather quiet nature, gentle and sweet, and so greatly startled her husband with her next words.

"I want you to consider taking me along," she said to him. "Tzen is a part of my home territory and I know it well. I think I could be of some use to you." She sat down on the sofa and looked him in the eye. "I have some connections there. I could perhaps help you to get information." Sabin shook his head.

"You are from Imperial territory. My friends may not altogether trust you. Besides, the King is leaving Cyan here to run things while he is away. He wouldn't leave his most trusted advisor here, then take you along. And anyway, what do you know of these things? Have you not been pampered all your life?"

"Because I am of the nobility? You are a prince," she replied. "Have you been pampered all your life?"

"That's different," he answered. "I am a man."

"Oh," she nodded, looking at her lap. "And what if I were to tell you that I can help you find the underground that has eluded your operatives these many months?" Sabin stared. "Sabin, please remember that I am not from Imperial territory. My people and my lands were taken over by the Empire before they came to try to take yours. I have even more reason to hate them than you. Do you not realize that my family, that all the gentry of the old order, have long worked against the Empire and have no wish to see it rise again? All the information we have gathered is yours. If your Returner friends will not be blinded by pride, I can help. I want to help. Please talk to the King for me." Sabin, stunned by surprise, sat next to her.

"Do you know how harsh the road is? How hard it would be for me to watch out for you?" Rowena smiled.

"I have been a student of fencing since I was five. I can handle a sword better than you." She laughed at his expression. "I am not the delicate little flower you imagine. Let me help you, husband. Talk to the King for me." Sabin nodded.

"I will speak to Edgar. But he will likely say no." Rowena looked into Sabin's eyes.

"Tell him that he should take the term "underground" literally. The stronghold you seek is buried beneath the town of Tzen. We haven't found the way in, but we know it is there. It may be where your Terra is being held."

"OH!!" Strago exclaimed. "OH!! The King is betrothed! Figaro is to have a new queen in April!" He put his hand over his heart. "I'm an old man! Can I stand this sort of shock?" Everyone in the room laughed, having heard the news several minutes before from Sabin. It was just getting around to Strago.

"Well, I predict that His Majesty is going to surprise himself and find that he likes being married very much," Celes said. "Isn't that right, Locke?" Locke grinned impishly and shook his leg, as if to suggest a ball and chain.

"This is the only lock I've ever found unbreakable!" Everyone roared, and Celes pursed her lips and elbowed him in the ribs. The door opened just then, and Edgar came in with Cyan and Sabin's new Princess, Rowena. All the Returners stood and applauded. Edgar stopped, confused for a moment, then put it together, looking sheepish.

"All right, all right. Very funny. I suppose you thought I didn't have it in me. Well, the joke will be on all of you when you attend my wedding in April."

"Tell us about her, Edgar!" boomed Strago. "How did you ever manage to persuade her?"

"Well, I think he's handsome," said Relm. "You wouldn't have any trouble with me, Your Majesty!" Strago tugged at her arm and pointed to her chair.

"Her Ladyship's name is Selena, and she is the only daughter of Lord Suthernarshe," explained Edgar. "She is a lovely girl, a child really; she will only be eighteen next month. She was a bit overwhelmed by it all, I think, but she was quite carried away by my charm, and I believe that she looks forward to our wedding with great anticipation." Turning toward Relm, he added with a bow, "and thank you, my dear. I think you are very special too." Relm laughed and blushed.

Rowena looked around at the famous lot. She felt a bit put off; these Returners seemed to her to be inappropriately light-hearted. Their friend was missing. It didn't seem right that they should be laughing so. Suddenly, Rowena froze. She began to pointedly stare at Celes. Celes saw her look, and turned her head away, a scarlet flush burning her cheeks. Locke watched with concern. The Empire had been particularly hard on Maranda, the Princess' home city. And Imperial General Celes Chere had borne some of that responsibility. Locke took Celes' hand in both of his, squeezing encouragement.

The Princess stood, dignity outlining her diminutive frame.

"If I may, I have expressed my desire to my husband that I be allowed to accompany you on your mission to find your missing friend. Perhaps, in our effort, we might also be able to do some damage to the Empire's struggle to rebuild. My family is in possession of some information which may be helpful to you, which the King will share with you presently. My desire is based upon one goal only: to destroy the evil that brought so much destruction to everything that I loved." She again looked right at Celes. "His Majesty has said that if you, the Returners, will accept my help and allow me to join you, then he will not stand in the way. Apparently, the issue is one of trust. I am from Maranda, and that city lies in Imperial territory. I came in here to explain that I am not of the Empire, that my line is an old one, that the Empire took everything we had and left us nothing. But I see here today seated among you one who is of the Empire. One who aided in our destruction. Apparently, she saw the error of her ways and at some point decided to join you. I say to you now that, if you can find it in your hearts to embrace such a one with your trust, then you can find it in your hearts to trust me, one who has as much reason to despise the Empire as you." She gathered her skirts about her and sat down. Everyone looked at one another.

Locke understood the Princess' feelings. Celes had started her career commanding Imperial forces, after all. It wasn't easy to have faith. He recalled a moment in the past, during the struggle against the Empire, standing in the Research Center, when even he had momentarily doubted Celes, amazing himself that he could love a woman so much whom he did not completely trust. He spoke up.

"You are obviously a person of character and determination and we certainly would trust you and welcome you to join us." The Princess gave him a nod and he held up his hand. "But, that goes both ways. You must trust us as well. All of us." He again gave Celes' hand a squeeze. "There is no one in this room who does not belong in this room, Your Highness." he continued, moving his arm out in a sweeping gesture. "We have all had our mettle tested at the hands of Kefka. We fought down the Empire side by side, all of us here, and watched one another's backs. May I presume to give a bit of advice, Your Highness? From my own experience? Don't live in the past. You can't change it; no good can come of it, and all you do is blind yourself to the possibilities of the future. Plant yourself firmly in the present, Highness, move forward and don't look back." Celes squeezed Locke's hand in return, a faint smile on her lips. "Can we just let the past be, and move on from here?" Locke appealed. "If we can, then I say, welcome, Highness, welcome to the Returners." Calls of "here, here!" echoed from around the room. The Princess stood and bowed, and facing Celes, she bowed again. Celes smiled and dipped her head at Rowena. How perfect, how appropriate, Celes thought, that it should be Locke who would be the first to give this Marandan the benefit of the doubt. He who had rescued and trusted Terra when she was known only as the Imperial Witch; he who had rescued Celes herself and had given her a chance, when she had been an Imperial soldier. Locke's heart was as big and wonderful as all the outdoors. The King stood. "Brother," he said to Sabin, "perhaps now would be a good time for you to help your wife prepare for our journey while I bring our friends up to date." The young couple walked toward the door and Edgar faced the room.

"Friends, welcome. Let me get right to it. You may wonder why we have gathered here on Terra's behalf, why the Mobliz authorities are not handling this as they would any disappearance of a Mobliz citizen. You would be correct to assume that we think the elusive Imperial underground has her and is holding her somewhere in Tzen. Our reasons for thinking so are based upon information which has come to us by way of Princess Rowena's family, and by way of our own operative whom we have had working undercover in Tzen for the past several months. At this time, I would like you to meet another comrade, Geoffrey Branford. A murmur of curiosity rose up in the room. Who was Geoffrey Branford? Could Terra have had a relative? Cyan opened the door, and Gau entered the room.

"It's me-e-e-e!" he crowed. Everyone sat back in surprise. The King explained as Gau took a seat among his fellow Returners.

"Our friend here was known by that name while operating in Tzen." The Returners applauded and welcomed Gau back to the fold.

The King cleared his throat, and everyone gave him their attention. "There are two key points. One is that Princess Rowena's family and friends have discovered why the underground we have sought has eluded us. It is because we were looking for a secret group, much like the Returners were during the struggle against the Empire. But the drunk in Jidoor who first made us aware of trouble brewing in Tzen used the term "underground" in a literal sense and we did not understand that. Our Marandan friends have found that there is a military stronghold actually built underneath the town of Tzen. It is up to us to find the way in. We have no information as to its layout so things are going to be dangerous for us once we do get inside. The other key information that we have, we gathered through our own Geoffrey Branford." He nodded toward Gau. "There was evidence in Tzen that the Empire had been actively trying to build its army back up, and they had been making headway, slowly but steadily. Suddenly, a few months ago, they seem to have all but stopped. There is a rumor going about in Tzen that the Imperial sympathizers believe the Returners still have magic." Locke and Celes looked at one another. "They apparently traced the energy signature from Terra's Life spell, Locke." said Edgar. "They have kidnapped her for her magic, it would seem. There is an important unanswered question. Do they think that Terra is one of many magic users in Returner territory? Are they intending to use old, refurbished machinery to bleed Esper energy to run their weaponry? Or do they realize that Terra is the last of her breed, and understand that if they kill her, the magic really will be gone? If they do understand that, then they have developed or will develop new technology that can use one Esper as a kind of battery, bleeding her without killing her, recycling her energy over and over again."

Setzer raised his hand.

"If they have stopped trying to grow a conventional army, do we think that means that they have also developed new weapon technology? Something so forceful that they don't think they need a large army?" Edgar looked grim.

"That is our nightmare scenario. That the Empire has created a new, very powerful weapon, run on magical energy, that can be bled from one Esper, forever." The room was silent. "And now they have Terra." Edgar touched the fingertips of both hands to the table in front of him. "We must find her, get her out, and destroy the machinery that they have built, whatever it is." Edgar's normally sunny expression was dark, his eyes unreadable. "And we must find those responsible for the design and production of their machinery. And we must...kill them." Edgar put a hand to his brow for a moment, then looked up, and held the eyes of each of his Returner comrades in turn. "If our Terra is ever to be safe again, we must permanently eradicate their use for her. Is there anyone not on board for this? Say now." Locke looked over at Leander, sitting at the other side of the big table, alongside Relm and Strago. The boy did not look afraid, and to Locke's relief, he did not look excited either, as a child might who thinks he's in store for a great adventure. It was going to be okay, having him along. All the Returners nodded to Edgar. They were ready to go. "As I thought, my friends," said Edgar. "I am proud to count myself among you." Setzer rose to go fire up the airship.

-------------------------------------------------------------