The Chrono Trigger
Stewart Bishop
ciddypoo@rpgamer.com


Beams of light tore through the blackness of the sky, so wrought with clouds it was conceivably within reach. The world, once thought to be so large, was confined to nothing more than the size of a casual gladiator's arena of old. Dark shadows bordered the place; no light could pierce it and no eye could peer through. It was chillingly cold, and a thick layer of mist further impeded any vision that could possibly be remaining.

In the center of the reality stood a remarkable visage. It was a darkened creature, somewhat resembling a snapping turtle, with a deep orange and crimson shell. Sharp spines adorned its protective casing; many were chipped by the trials of combat, yet a considerable amount remained, coated in a fine layer of dried blood. Its head was the oddest of its features. Slightly protruding from the glorious armor, it was highly disproportionate from the rest of its body. Brown in color, it was the only imaginable part of the behemoth that could be considered "weak."

Imbedded in the shell was an enormous purple crystal. Its age shone through the apparently dull and unpolished finish. The slices on the gem were now very rounded, and it would be difficult to see through it very clearly. Through the blurred jewel, however, a figure was visible. Encased for a countless number of years, was a young woman. Long, unkempt blond hair flowed down to her waist, stray strands floating about freely as she lay there in suspended animation. She wore a pure white gown, lined with stripes of red along the sleeves, and neatly decorated with the crest of Zeal's royal crown. Her face presented an air of peace, but tension evident in radial design about her eyes spoke another tale.

The beast's opposition took the form of a young boy. Light blue hair and sea blue eyes, he wielded an awkward weapon; it was held at the center like a staff, with a long and slender blade fastened to each end. A red bandana was bound around his head, already torn from the battle with the towering giant.

As I stood at the edge of this very void, a strange howling wind caressed my face, causing my hair to come to life with flight, fluttering along the wind as it desperately struggled against the shadows that desired to consume all that would dare brave its eerie darkness. I grasped the end of my cape and pulled it to my face, shielding it from dirt and debris being drawn into the outer emptiness. I mused over the battle through the fog from a distance, watching with unblinking eyes and undying interest.

Do...

Who was this silent fighter? So courageous...So innocent...He fought with such grace and an incalculable amount of power. Yet, I could detect no sense of hatred or anger in his offense, only calm, potent strikes that tore away at the massive creature.

The young boy withdrew from his assault and let his weapon rest at his side. Drawing a fist to his cheek, he drew upon the favors of time, thrusting his palm forward as a flurry of intense rays slammed into the beast's hard shell.

So...

Where had I seen such a person before...? Ah, yes...How could I forget? It was the young lad with the red hair. His name was...Crono, if I recall correctly. The mighty Lavos, the Lord of Destruction and god of the Kingdom of Zeal, had met its match in a mere child. To think that mother once believed Lavos to be invincible...

The monstrosity stumbled backwards, frantically trying to keep itself from tipping over as a result of the powerful blasts. The creature's rotting talons of bone became visible as it wobbled back and forth for a moment, then wailed in utter frustration.

Fa...

And yet...Here it is before me, a living, breathing specter of the chaotic nightmare that sought to consume the entire planet and life as we know it. Even in death, it threatens the very fate of time itself.

Lavos, the Devourer of Time, rumbled a low incantation, unspeakable by the human tongue and unheard by the human ear. Even I could not detect it with my senses alone, but the waves of madness that buffeted from his very presence, coupled with my uncanny knowledge in the black arts, offered room for suspicion. As it spoke the last syllable of the magic phrase, a vortex tore its way through the veils of reality and positioned itself strategically between its master and the blue-haired boy.

Li...

Why could I not defeat him? All those years I had waited, training myself, becoming stronger and honing my magical prowess. Finally, my opportunity to combat the great Lavos came, but even in its weakened state, I could not faze it in the least with my most powerful of attacks. Every ounce of rage and hatred garnered over those years of anguish was channeled into those blows, yet to no avail.

The child stared at the gate with a calm, calculating look on his face. Outstretching his arm, he produced a crystalline sphere, swirling with the colors of the elements.

So...

The Chrono Trigger. The Hero of Time. The Purest Heart...

The orb began to pulsate irregularly, rapidly increasing in speed and brightness as the seconds ran by. Everything within sight was coated in the pure luminescence, but the shadows that bordered the dimension remained unmoved by the powerful force.

Re...

I understand. Only the most innocent of souls can dare to combat the overwhelming evil that is Lavos. What blight have I placed upon my soul? Like the fate of the Masamune, I was guided by anger and used for evil. How can I bear to ever let you rest your eyes upon me now, sister...?

The enormous parasite slumped to the ground, soaked in its own blood. Boiling with anger, it trickled slowly down the shell, melting it with its extreme heat. The purple crystal that was once so deeply burrowed inside the monster shattered, leaving the girl... My sister...Schala, floating in mid-air.

Ri...

I have waited for you, sister. So many years...What would you do if you ever saw me again...? I cannot...Will not find out now...

Schala's eyes began to flutter, adjusting themselves to the soft incandescence that bathed the surroundings. I clutched my pendant...The pendant that she had given me as a child...

It has protected me, as you said it would, sister...but it could not protect me against...Myself.

I shut my eyes slowly, deep feelings of regret and remorse flooding my heart. Without a second thought, I stepped back into the shadowy abyss, to be lost forever beyond time and space.

Lavos lives on...He is eternal. His reign of terror shall always exist, from now until the end of time...But so long as the threat of Lavos exists, there will always be someone to oppose him. There will always be...The Chrono Trigger...

Schala...Forgive me...

Author's Notes: Well, all in all I'm happy that we finally have closure on the whole Schala ordeal. The next game in the series (there better be one) will hopefully clear up the fate of Magus, my personal favorite character of the original Chrono Trigger. If you're confused with the whole Sound of Music vibe going on here, just think about the Song of Life and it should come to you. My first "fanfic" (if you can call it that) I've ever done. Long live the Chrono Saga.