THE CRAVE GAMING CHANNEL
V'lanna
 

Worlds Away From Reality
- Final Fantasy III - Final Fantasy VII - Breath of Fire III - Megaman X - The Little Mermaid -

Chapter One

Flames Through the Dawn

The sun peered over the edge of the mountains of the west onto the small village of Thamasa. Golden light flooded Terra's room and woke her. She yawned and stood up.

Terra hated to get up this early. But today was a special occasion. For the past 2 years, Terra's friend Setzer had been working on a new, revolutionary airship. Two weeks ago he had completed it, and Terra was one of the lucky few on the airship's maiden voyage.

It was mid-December, but Thamasa never received snow. Terra wrapped herself in warm clothing and walked to the point where Setzer's new ship was to be unveiled. The other few who were invited to the flight were there as well: the old Blue Mage Strago and his granddaughter Relm, one of the respected townsmen Nicholi, and Setzer's pretty young fiance Candi.

Strago and Relm were good friends of Terra, but found Nicholi somewhat over- egotistical and disliked Candi, a dancer from Jidoor who was just barely 18, altogether. But Setzer had his reasons for inviting these people.

Upon Terra's arrival, Setzer was ready to begin the ceremony. "Glad ya'll could make it today... you guys are 'bout to see the world's newest airship. Completely safe, reaches high speeds of 'bout 250 miles per hour, complete with all the fine luxuries you'd appreciate in your own home, and doesn't put a drop of pullution into the air."

Setzer led his small team into a wooded glade where the airship sat. The entire team was instantly breathless. Before them stood an airship like none they had ever seen. The primative "blimp" form had been abandoned. This vast ship looked like a large ocean-going vessel (which Setzer pointed out it would be excellent for, so they could land directly onto the ocean with little or no difficulty) with huge propellers on the top, and smaller ones on either side and the back.

Suddenly, the main door to the ship opened and a platform slid down to the ground. "It all checks out okay, Setzer," said Edgar, wiping his greasy hands on a rag. "I've just finished checking the oil and fuel. We're ready for our first flight!"

Setzer smiled and ran up to meet Edgar standing in the ship's doorway. "Come on, guys! Thing can't bite ya!"

Relm yawned and rolled her eyes. "Okay, Strago, I saw his stupid ship. Can I go home now?" Strago merely grabbed her arm and dragged her toward the ramp. Terra, Nicholi, and Candi followed.

The inside of the ship was as impressive as the outside. It was lively decorated. This main entranceway was complete with large windows, slot machines, a poker table, a roulette wheel, a beautifully done portrait of Setzer and Daryl (which he brought over from his old airship), and a billiards table.

"Welcome, to my new airship, the Magician."

Edgar explained that with the Figorian mechanics and Setzer's riches it was easy to design and build the new airship. It had capabilities never thought of before.

"It's very impressive, Setzer," said Terra politely, though she was still more or less asleep. Candi threw her arms around Setzer in overwhelming exitement, giggling in one of her overly girlish fits, while Edgar rinsed off his hands in a nearby water basin. Strago and Relm were busy admiring the tapestries and pictures that decorated the airship walls- Setzer was a die hard art collector (though Relm insisted his taste was nothing less than lame and primitave).

"What was the total cost of the project?" asked Relm, somewhat rudely, playing with a loose piece of fabric in one of the tapestries.

Strago turned bright red. "Relm! It's not polite to inquire about another's finances!"

Setzer chuckled. "Naw, man, it's cool. Whole project was just over 3 million gil, a pretty penny even for me. Comes complete with a hotel, 10 bathrooms, a restaurant-sized kitchen, the casino here, a lounge area with a fireplace and a bar..."

Just then a man dressed in a black suit and tie walked up, holding a glass of champaigne.

"...not to mention a full staff to keep it all running."

Setzer accepted the drink and handed it to Candi. The suited man disappeared behind some curtains.

"Mechanics, butlers, cleaning ladies, and someone to care after our chocobo."

Candi giggled. "Goldilocks can be such a handful, that's why we pay someone to take care of him."

Nicholi, who had been standing idle the whole time, suddenly came to life. "Well, where is the bridge? Let's see how this thing moves."

Edgar led his companions into a large room fitted with glass along one wall, obviously the front of the ship. "It's all computerized, using the latest technology which Figorian scientists have been exploring for the past 10 years. I've checked, rechecked, and doublechecked every nook and cranny of the system. This thing handles better than a longsword glued to your palm."

"And how would you know?" inquired Relm in a sarcastic tone.

"Relm, that'll be the end of that!"

"Well you shouldn'ta woke me up so early! You nutty old man."

Strago sighed and changed the subject. "Well, let's ignite the engines then. It looks like a vast improvement over the Falcon!"

Setzer nodded. "Yep."

After he no longer needed it, Setzer sold the Falcon to an aristocrat in Jidoor. The buyer was to senile to drive it, but used it as his home and a type of museum of his collected weaponry. In the past seven years it became quite famous.

Setzer sat down behind the controls and ignited the engines. The propellers started to whir and the surrounding trees blew in a chaotic frenzy. Slowly, yet dramatically, the airship rose off the ground, giving its occupants a great view of Thamasa and the world around them.

A few hours passed while the riders were exploring the ship before one of the crew members, while mopping the deck, noticed an odd shape against the sun, now a good ways off of the horizon. He ran downstairs to the pilot (while Setzer made the initial takeoff, he was too busy entertaining his guests to fly the airship.) and reported the sighting.

"Looks kinda like a fishin' net..."

"Ya think it's some kinda magic?"

The pilot shook his head. "Can't be. Gabbianni alreadly tole' us that magic vanished after he an' the others beat that guy Kefka. Ain't no more magic left."

"Can you be sure?"

Setzer was leading Terra, Strago, and Relm in a game of poker (Relm was ahead by 3500 gil) when the pilot's assistant walked in. "Captain, we have a type of oddity directly north of us. I'd say it was magic, if I didn't know better."

"Magic?" said Terra, sitting up. Relm peeked over at her cards. "Hmph. I fold."

"Yes ma'am. Like a shadowy net just in front of the sun."

Terra, Setzer, and Strago returned to the bridge to get a better look at this "magic" phenomenon. Terra stood at the head of the ship and closed her eyes. She concentrated on the force in front of her, and what she found was startling.

Suddenly her head felt like it was exploding. Sharp pains shot through her consciousness, and she fell over screaming in agony. Setzer was instantly at her side. "Terra! You okay?"

"I saw... what that thing wants... something about... the fictional destruction..."

"Fictional destruction?" commented Strago. "If it's fictional, what have we to worry about?"

"I don't know... I saw the line between fact and fiction. That thing- that magical wave of energy... it is that line."

Setzer sighed deeply in worry. "So what the hell is it?"

Strago muttered, "Dunno. But we sure don't wanna fly into it. We'd better land somewhere."

"Alright. Go tell the pilot to make a landing near Jidoor."

The pilot nodded. "Right away, sir."


Doesn't This Just Beat All?

The weather had been terribly rainy the past few days. It was getting so bad that Rei and his best friend Ryu were having difficulty hunting. It was nearly midnight. Ryu had been writing in his journal all evening by the candlelight when Rei walked in, sopping wet.

"Dammit, Ryu, why don't you go out and do some hunting once in a while!"

"Because you're so good at it, Rei."

Ryu closed and locked his journal and slid it back into the drawer of his desk. "You know, the weirdest thing happened while you were gone. There was about 15 flashes of light, just up on the horizon."

"Yeah," replied Rei, sharpening the dullened blades of his daggers. "It happened in that short time the rain stopped, right?"

"Yeah, but that's not the thing I'm talking about. As it was happening, I thought I heard your name, like a ghostly wail or something."

"Odd."

"Yep. I must have imagined it."

You didn't imagine anything.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing, man. Listen, I'm covered in mud, I'm gonna go take a bath."

"All right."

Rei walked out of the room, and Ryu slunked over to his bed and laid down. Often, he would hear the voices of the Brood echoing in his head, giving him guidance in his life. But this time it was different. He felt as if though Rei was being hunted. But by whom? And for what?

Rei stuck his toe into the small, underground pond he and Ryu bathed in. It was like an ice cube. "Ack!" screeched Rei. "Doesn't this just beat all? Can't even take a bath..."

Rei sat on the bank and pushed a fat frog, lounging around in the murky shallows, around with a stick. Why should he do all the hunting? Ryu was a much better warrior than he, knew the forest just as well. All he ever did was sit around and write. It was time Rei stood up for himself!

But whenever he did that, Ryu backed him into an intellectual duel which the somewhat dimwitted tiger had no chance of winning. "Well, that's how it always is... I do the hunting, Ryu does the thinking."

Isn't that taking advantage of you, Rei?

"Wha...?" said Rei.

Ryu shot up from his position in the bed. "Who... said that? Taking advantage of Rei?"

"Who's there?"

I can help you use your powers for a better goal...

"My... powers?"

"Rei's... powers?"

Don't you want to be respected?

Ryu shot up from his bed and grabbed his sword. Whatever this voice was, it obviously had bad intentions.

"Don't this just beat all? Now I'm hearing voices. What a crappy day."

Rei dove into the ice cold water, hoping the shock would clear his mind.

You can't escape me.

Ryu flew down to the pond and saw Rei on the other side, dripping wet, shivering, and holding his head in his hands. "What... do you want with me! What are you... doing!?"

You are the perfect one for my plan...

"Rei! Look out!"

A shadowy figure decended upon Rei like a net. "Rei!"

A flash of light followed. Then Ryu was alone with the pouring rain. He dropped his sword and swam to the place he last saw his friend. "Rei!"

Nothing there. "My God..." said Ryu to himself. "Doesn't this just beat all..."


Worlds Dissolve But Some Things Are Forever

Being the king, Triton demanded to know about everything that went on in his ocean. Normally, he got a minor report- an off-shore storm whips up a waterspout or some such rubbish. But it wasn't everyday that magic waves of energy courses in rivers above the surface like that. Either some powerful mage was at work recently, or... or something else happened.

Besides, Triton received word that his daughter was travelling tonight on a battleship for a major celebration. And if the seas weren't safe, he would have to make sure to change things.

He donned his trident. "It might take a little work to calm such powerful magic... but I don't have a choice."

Christmas was nearing, but in Eric's equatorial country there was little to worry about. The seas were cold, but safe.

Eric's wife Ariel came up behind him. "It's beautiful tonight... this will be the best Christmas ever!"

Eric laughed. "Yeah. The skies look clear for miles around."

Ariel threw her arms around him and whispered, "I don't have much of a chance to find out what I'm getting for Christmas, do I?"

"Not a chance."

"Ariel?" Nicholi shot up from his trance on the deck of the Magician.

Relm laughed out loud. "Of course we're aerial, this is an airship stupid!"

"It's just as well. Then you won't find out what I got you either!"

"What's with ole' Nicky, Relm?"

"I dunno. First he starts muttering about some kind of ray, now he's complaining that we're in the air. I tell you, Strago has some odd friends."

"Well, it's Christmas Eve, so enjoy the party."

Ariel smiled and walked away. As Eric was wondering if she used to celebrate Christmas as a mermaid, something called at him from the distance...

Now it's your turn...

"I dunno," said Terra. "I can kinda hear it too."

"Huh? Who said that?" Eric spun around, but no one was behind him. "That's odd. It's almost midnight- what is that light?" They were too far away from port to see the lighthouse and...

...and was it approaching them?

Triton was near enough to see the wave now- silver and flourishing, looking somewhat like a net...

Wouldn't you like to be of use to a new era?

"Wha...?" Ariel said, suddenly hearing something in her head. She fell to her knees with a dizzying headache.

It was approaching them! "Ariel!"

Eric ran to the lower deck, but by the time he arrived the entire ship was bathed in a strange silvery light.

"Ariel, no!" cried Eric and Triton.

But the light dissipated, along with the princess.

"It's coming."

"Don't worry, Nicholi. You're safe in Jidoor now- we'll wait till you are over this fever before we head back."

"That won't... stop it... not if it... is ficitonal..."

And if you refuse to join me I will destroy you and all that you love.

Ariel opened her eyes slowly. She was in a small room, like a jail cell. It was completely empty except for a strange being sleeping in the corner. He was like nothing Ariel had ever seen- or imagined. He was human, or something like it, only he had a long tail and was covered in orangish hair with black stripes- like a tiger.

At first, Ariel was scared. Something had taken her from her familiar surroundings and thrown her here... the last thing she remembered was someone calling her. Asking her to join it. But...

And this new creature. What was it? Or to be more humane, who was it?

Rei.

The voice startled Ariel- at first. "Rei? Your name is Rei?"

The tiger is Rei- and you will soon have two others to help you...

"Help us? But help us what?"

Rule the multiverse.

"I... I don't care about the multiverse! I just want to go home..."

Worlds dissolve but some things are forever.

Worlds Prequel

Mail Brick

Chapter Two

© 1998-2017 RPGamer All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy