Chapter 4

...Alanna's idea was sound. All we had to do was get on the roof of the general store, then use a little rope to hang in the dark low enough so we could drop off without spraining something. Then when the trouble started, we'd drop off, draw weapons, and scare those idiots into running away. She said it was an old thieves' trick that had gone out of vogue because people started watching for it. She felt that these bullies hadn't heard of it since no one had done it in years. She'd also figured out how to distract the shopkeeper long enough for me to get up there without being heard or noticed. But as the saying goes, "Battle plans never survive the first contact with the enemy" and so it was here. The first part went okay; it was the "scare them to death and make them run away" part that didn't work. Lucky I had a backup plan--that is, call Shiva. And when I finally got to talk to Ka--oh yeah, Zidane...he'd been hurt and I had to use a cure spell on him. What I didn't exactly expect was to find out exactly how Alanna had been fooling Baku into thinking she's a guy. She's one canny thief and pretty sly too. I'm glad I did meet her though...she's been a good guide and friend, though I didn't expect Zidane's reaction to her--well, I didn't expect how he'd react to her when he first met her. I didn't expect to have a lot of trouble getting to know Zidane either, but he was really tired and hungry and slept a lot the first day. But once I got a chance to talk to him...really talk to him...I found he's a nice guy and Nora was right...he IS older mentally than he is physically, though I found out later that could change in a matter of a year or less.
......I admit that the second time I rescued him, Bahamut really scared him...I hope Bahamut and me helped him nip that fear in the bud. If my theory about Bahamut's and Shiva's mistress is correct, he'd better not be afraid of Eidolons or he'll be in trouble later when the real adventure starts. I still don't know what's bothering him, but it's going to take some time for him to trust me enough to tell me. That kind of trust--no, friendship--isn't built in a day. I think everybody knows that.
~~From Cloud's journal

The day had finally come. That day, Alanna and Cloud met at eleven-thirty at the entrance to the path to the general store. The first part of their plan involved getting on the roof. Alanna was ready...what she was about to do was cause a minor fuss. She'd showed Cloud a drainpipe he'd use to get on the roof, but Cloud was "too noisy" so there would need to be a distraction. Like most smart thieves, Alanna was good at not being noticed when she wanted to be, but this time she was going to pretend to be sick...and basically get all eyes on her for a moment. This would also get Mogrich mad if he figured it out, since Alanna was planning on messing with that Moogle's dog. Hopefully no one would notice Cloud shinnying up the drainpipe--or kill Alanna before she could get away.

Alanna turned to Cloud.

"Okay," she whispered. "Let's do it. We got a half ah hour...

"I know. Be careful, okay? I hope Mogrich doesn't figure it out..." Cloud whispered back.

"Don't worry, I won't let 'im. But once he realizes why, I don't think he'll hold a grudge. I have a feelin' he'd not min' helpin' save that boy." They got to the end of the path near the general store. Cloud flattened himself against the wall; Alanna imitated the sound of someone barfing, then staggered out. She "accidentally" stepped on that dog's tail. The dog nipped at her and barked; she pretended to puke on the other side of the path. That dog ended up nipping a poor noble by accident, who gave Alanna a kick. The shop owner came out and started hollering--she didn't like the noise. Poor Mogrich was going, "Sorry, sorry, sorry, kupo, kupo!" Cloud took the opportunity to shinny up the drainpipe. He flattened himself on the roof and waited. A few minutes later, Alanna quietly climbed up. Cloud didn't see her use the drainpipe; he didn't see exactly how she got up. She grinned at him, showing him a wallet she'd flitched.

"Who did you steal that from?" Cloud whispered.

"That ugly noble who kicked me. He deserved it. Can't do much liftin' like that no more tho. Not after I got that scar on my puss...it's just too memorable an' I'm too old ta play 'wide-eyed innocent kid' any more." she whispered back. She reached in her pack and pulled out a rope.

"Okay, now for step two..." Alanna whispered. With Cloud's help, she tied it in the middle to the chimney, and threw the ends of it so they dangled into the alley. Cloud nodded. They quietly snuck over to that edge of the roof. Then it was down the rope to hide in the dark until the trouble began. The rope did not go to the ground; if it did, it would be noticed. The ends were just low enough so they could both jump off without spraining an ankle or something. Neither of them said anything. They just held on and waited, like someone waiting for a fish to bite.

Time passed. Suddenly, there was some hollering, and Cloud saw the fight begin. He nodded to Alanna; she nodded back and got ready to jump. Cloud did the same. They waited until the trouble was right under them. Then they jumped down, landed, and drew their weapons, holding them in the "guard" position, yet in a fairly intimidating fashion. One of the twenty or so kids who were picking on Kat yelled, "Just who the heck are you?" The kids milled about for a moment; Kat looked up, startled. He wasn't hurt that badly--yet. Ten or eleven of the kids were still pushing him around a little and keeping him from getting away. He slashed at them again and again; they kept dancing out of his reach, like they were a little afraid of that dagger.

Cloud snarled in a very icy tone of voice that a certain young ninja back home would of found very familiar and that had made her tremble when she had stolen the Materia, "Your worst nightmare! Leave that poor boy alone or else..."

Alanna added very loudly and angrily, "What did he do ta ya? Git out ah here now an' leave that poor guy alone if ya know what's good for ya!"

One of the bigger kids yelled, "Or else what? Guys, they ain't so tough. Get 'em!"

Some of the kids ran in their direction. Everything seemed to go into slow motion; Cloud later realized that the fight had only taken a few seconds, though it seemed longer at the time. That was not unusual; when a situation turned ugly like it had, seconds counted, so either one got used to thinking quickly on one's feet or you were dead. He did his best not to severely hurt the ones without weapons; he was just hitting those with the pommel of his blade, knocking them out. If someone had a weapon, he'd aim to disable the kid, not kill. He felt that killing them would make him worse than them. Alanna was disabling the armed kids and knocking out the unarmed ones since she felt the same way. Out of the corner of his eyes, Cloud noticed that the rest had jumped on Kat. Just as he noticed that, Cloud suddenly heard a sickening crunch and a cry, and Kat's dagger went flying. Three kids were jerking Kat around. He was holding his right arm, with tears streaming down his cheeks. It had been broken. That's a really dirty, nasty way to disarm someone! Cloud thought. Realizing that there was no way that either he could get over there in time or Alanna and him could take care of all of these idiots in time, he concentrated, calling Shiva. In his mind, Cloud heard Shiva say:

:Cloud? What is it?:

:Shiva! Quick, save that kid before he's...:

:No problem! I know what I'm going to do. Don't worry!:

Cloud saw a ghostly image of Shiva behind the kids that were jerking Kat around. She raised her hands; Kat's tormentors' arms were suddenly coated with ice. The ice didn't touch Kat, who was startled yet again. The kids that had been iced yelled, scared and crying because they hadn't seen the Eidolon. The others milled about in confusion. Shiva then appeared over their heads and used a very weak Diamond Dust attack, which also missed Kat by a hair. The kids screamed. Kat reached into one pocket with his one good hand, whimpering a little because he had to let go of the broken arm, and threw something. Whatever it was made a loud noise and some white sparks, like fireworks. When the sparks disappeared, he was gone. Shiva raised her hands like she was going to attack again. The kids all yelled, "Run! Run! Or we're gonna be made of ice! But we'll get you yet, you monkey-tail, wherever you are!" They dashed away. Shiva giggled, then disappeared.

Cloud looked around. He was worried, for he had thought he'd seen that Kat had a few wounds besides the busted arm. He needs a cure spell used on him quick! Cloud thought. But where'd he disappear to? Did he run off!? Hope not...if he did I'll have a hard time finding him again...

He turned to Alanna and said, "Do you have any idea where that kid went?"

"Nah. He used a special technique for gettin' away quick, tho." She looked around--then she noticed something. "Looky there, ye old spiky-hair..." She pointed to a wooden trash bin near the back of the store. At one end of the bin, there was the tip of a familiar tail poking out and twitching. "He's bein' careless...I otta yank that..."

"No, don't! I think he's just tired and in terrible pain." Pulling that tail may be tempting, but he's had enough! Why else would he have run like that?, Cloud thought. I know Red XIII doesn't like kids to pull on his tail. I think Kat would feel the same way...especially if he's hurting... He said, "Alanna, please find that dagger. I'll see you over by that rubbish bin, okay?"

"Okay. Won't be long. It'll take me a minute ta find it tho; I didn't see where it landed."

Cloud ran over to the trash bin, squoze around it, and took a look, trying not to wrinkle his nose since the rubbish stunk. There was Kat, tears running down his cheeks, breathing raggedly with his head bowed. He looked miserable. His clothes were ripped in a few places--they were ruined because of the blood and tears. He was bleeding sluggishly from one arm and one of his legs. Cloud reached over carefully and touched Kat's left shoulder.

"Hey. Kat? You okay?"

"Kat" looked up, with a slightly insulted look on his face. "That's not my name, Mr. Glow-Eyes! Where did you get that?"

Cloud winced. Oops! Forgot about that...but I don't think it's a good time to comment on that name he called me. One, he's in pain. Two, I deserved that..."Sorry. I saw you earlier and thought you moved like a cat."

"Kat" nodded. "Gotcha, glow-eyes. Don't call me that again!"

Cloud winced again and said, "I understand. What's your real name?"

"It's Zidane. Who are you?"

"I'm Cloud. Let me help...I can fix that arm..."

"Leave me alone..."

Cloud shook his head. "It's partly my fault--if I'd called Shiva just a second earlier...you wouldn't of been hurt..."

Zidane took a long look at Cloud. Where'd he come from? Dropping out of the sky like that with that girl...I think I've seen her somewhere..., he thought. And what can he do about this now? He wanted to cry because of the arm but he didn't want to do that in front of someone. He could still feel the tears streaming down his cheeks; he couldn't help it. He also felt a bit dizzy and lightheaded, as well as he ached in several places where he'd been kicked or punched or gotten tagged by a weapon. His heart was still pounding and his stomach was also in a knot. Cloud finished walking around the trash bin and came up next to him.
He continued, "I can cast the Cure spell on you if you'll let me, so it's gonna be okay..."

"You can!?" Woah! Zidane thought. Only seen that one once... Cloud nodded. "Will you, please?"

"Yeah. Don't worry, it won't take long."

Cloud nodded to Zidane, then he placed his hands together and closed his eyes. The next moment, the green crystal on Cloud's bangle flared into a bright glow and light appeared in his hands; a white light appeared around Zidane. It was a gentle power...that washed over him, taking all his pain--and the dizzyness and the lightheadedness--with it. The light shortly faded. He now felt better and his arm was fine now. There was one problem, however...his stomach had unknotted and now was complaining bitterly and loudly. He was also still pretty tired...he hadn't gotten much sleep the last few nights since the monsters wouldn't leave him alone.

Ooh...wish I had enough gil to get me a bed and something to eat... Thoughts of food danced through Zidane's mind for a few moments; he got ahold of himself and pushed them out of his head with a effort. Can't think about that right now...gotta keep my mind clear somehow. Gotta figure out what I'm gonna do now... Aloud he said, "Thanks, glow eyes."

Cloud winced, and then said, "You're welcome, but don't call me 'glow eyes', okay?"

"Sorry, I won't do it again." Why didn't he comment on that earlier? Zidane thought.

Cloud then leaned down and bent his knees, and then he offered Zidane one of his hands. I bet I know--he wants to help me get up... He nodded, took Cloud's hand, then used both Cloud's help and his own legs to get back on his feet.

Just then, the girl yelled, "Ha! Found that dagger!"

Cloud grinned. "Don't bother coming behind here...I'm coming out in a second!" He turned to Zidane. "Let's get out of here...my friend's waiting..."

"I heard those guys...are they still there?"

"No, I think they're gone--they ran away right after you got away. I don't think they'll be back anytime soon--but if they come back...I won't let them hurt you again, I promise!" Cloud touched the hilt of his sword meaningfully. Zidane smiled, relieved. He looks like a really tough guy--I wonder...why didn't those idiots run when he first appeared? They'll know better next time--they'll probably take one look at him and run if they're smart!

Cloud edged around the trash bin and gestured to Zidane. He nodded and followed. As Cloud stepped further into the light, Zidane thought:Cloud sure is wierd. First his hair sticks up like that and his eyes glow in the dark. They're the same color as mine though. I've never seen anything like that weird bangle on his wrist either. I wonder what those crystals on it are? Then there's that stuff he made that splint out of. I've never seen anything like that either! Why were those bandages in paper? I don't get it! And summoning...I've heard stories, but woah! I never knew anyone could! He made it look so easy too... He seems nice enough, though.

They both came out from behind the trash bin. There was that girl, cleaning off his dagger with a rag. "Ya wouldn't believe where I found it, spiky-hair..."

Cloud shook his head. "I don't want to know..." The girl offered the dagger back to Zidane, hilt first. He absently took it and sheathed it, taking a better look at the girl. Huh...I know I've seen her somewhere. But...where? She turned her head just a little, and then Zidane noticed a very ugly knife scar on her left cheek. Wait-a-second...that scar! Could she be Alan? That guy that got in and snitched that treasure just a split second before me and my Tantalus brothers went in the window? I saw him jump over some junk and disappear...And then we had to chase him. Baku never did figure out how he got in without us noticing there was someone else...couldn't be! A girl isn't a guy...wait! I remember...it was about a year ago...I was working on a math lesson when he came in, asking for Blank. Just the usual...Baku somehow managed to make Alan mad by asking him to join us. There was an argument...and it got worse than usual...

Suddenly, there was a loud rip. I looked up at the noise. "Idiot! Ya made me tear my shirt!"
"You caught it on a nail, lout! And why do you have your chest bandaged?" You could see it too; there was a bandage showing through the tear.
"I got hurt, okay?! Leave me be! I'm gone, ya idiot!
He ran out in a huff, trying to hold the rip together or hide it...Blank was chuckling like mad and I couldn't get him to tell me what was so funny...


Looks like that was a lie! Fire-haired idiot! "Bandages..." Zidane muttered. "Alan bound her breasts flat with bandages...so we thought she was a guy...well--maybe Blank knew the truth..." Then more loudly, he added angrily, "Alan! You good-for-nothing...scar-faced fire-haired liar!"

"Alan" jumped and looked Zidane straight in the eyes. Zidane felt a funny jolt in his middle when she did that; she did have pretty eyes. That didn't help him calm down, however. "What brought that on?", she said mildly.

"You already know, scar-face! First you got that treasure right before me and Tantalus, then you fool everybody into thinking you're a guy when you're a gir-rrl!"

"Alan" laughed. "What? Ya STILL upset 'bout that 'ol thing? Thought that was water under da bridge...Anyway, how could I ah known Tantalus was after that treasure? Thieves like us don't brag 'bout what we snitch until after it is snitched. Neither do we noise 'bout where we're gonna hit...I assume you know that talkin' 'bout where you're gonna steal somethin' in public means you're gonna get caught, right?" Zidane nodded. What is she trying to say?, he wondered. He was still a little mad. "Alan" chuckled again. "I don't think anyone knew 'bout that entrance from da tool shed...and I disguised myself like that since that guy who owned that house was a lech!"

Zidane was shocked. "Wha? I knew that guy would whip you if he caught you breaking in, but uh..a lech? And what tool shed? There wasn't one..."

"Alan" nodded. "Ya just proved what I always thought...no one 'cept me went pokin' aroun' in da back ah the basement. That guy was using a 'ol root cellar for a tool shed an' never did nail down da inside entrance ta it." She clicked her tongue a few times and shook her head, then continued, "As for 'im bein' a lecher: I'm not kiddin', he was. He'd jump on anythin' as long as it was a gal! I didn't wanna be worse than dead if I got caught. After that...well, Baku s'pected ta see "Alan" da guy when I came 'round, right? He sure didn't s'pect no gal with a scarred puss ta be nosin' aroun' da hideout!"

Cloud saw Zidane bow his head quickly, slightly embarrassed. Didn't expect this, did you? He found this kind of funny, but he controlled his expression firmly since he didn't want to make it worse by laughing at Zidane or letting him know that he found this funny. Ha! It's obvious now...you and your friends got outdone by a girl! Hope you don't feel too bad about it, though. A girl can certainly do as good a job at almost anything as a guy can.Cloud took a better look at Zidane now that he was in the light. He's a little taller than I expected, though...he comes up to a bit past the bottom of my chest. Well, guess it was just hard to tell exactly how tall he was by looking in Nora's pool... Just then, Cloud heard Zidane's stomach growl. Zidane quickly pressed one hand into his belly, looking even more embarrassed. Oh? He's hungry? When I cast that Cure spell, I noticed his stomach was in a knot--thought that was just leftover nerves from the fight. Should've remembered that if the caster notices something like that while the spell's working, something's wrong with that person that the spell can't heal. Hunger's one of those things that a Cure spell can't do anythin' about. Only thing that'll fix that is somethin' to eat.

Cloud knew that he'd have to keep track of Zidane somehow if he wanted to make sure those bullies stayed well away from the boy. He'd wondered how he was going to do that. Maybe the fact that he's hungry's a good excuse to invite him to where I'm staying. I can offer him some food and somewhere to sleep. I'd planned for 'tired' but...thank goodness I was planning on a sandwich for lunch. It's as easy to make two sandwiches as just one. Or I'll just let him make his own...just have to see what he wants to do.

While Cloud was thinking things over, Alanna smiled at Zidane. "Don't worry 'bout it. Anyway, my name ain't Alan...I just told you guys that when ya cornered me 'cause my real name is a dead giveaway--I REALLY didn't want ta leave that lech any hints if anyone overheard."

Zidane looked up. "Then what is it, scar-face?" His stomach growled again; he pressed that hand into his belly again.

Cloud shook himself out of his train of thought.I'd better get involved in case this gets any worse. I understand a little yelling...As she put it, 'luck' had a lot to do with that little theft, but I'd hoped it'd been mostly forgotten...I hope he'll let that go...Else it could get really messy. "Let me answer that." Alanna nodded to Cloud. He went on, "She told me earlier how she'd run into Tantalus and you before, but she never did find out what your name was." He nodded to Zidane, then continued, "That means you never were introduced to each other for one reason or another--well, at least in your case, you only discovered what she was calling herself while she was disguised as a guy. Zidane, this is Alanna." He gestured toward Alanna. "Alanna, this is Zidane." He gestured toward Zidane. Alanna reached out her hand where Zidane could reach it; he thought a moment, then took it and they shook hands. Cloud could tell Zidane was a little suspicious of Alanna, which wasn't too surprising, considering.

"How come you told him?"

"Well...Cloud heard somethin' 'bout some people who really didn't like 'a boy with a monkey tail' aroun' here a bit ago. He also heard they were plannin' somethin' bad--which is why we set up a nasty surprise for 'em...eh there, Cloud?"

Think I know what Alanna's up to. She's trying to make sure that my butt's covered so Zidane won't ask awkward questions later that I might have to lie to answer...well...I'd better play along...I don't wanna have to break my promise not to say anything about Nora... "I know, Alanna. Didn't like what I'd heard, so when I ran into her, I asked if she'd seen someone like that..."

Zidane chuckled. "Ohh..And that was me, of course..." His stomach growled yet again; again he pressed that hand into his belly. Bet he wishes it'd shut up! Cloud thought. He must be VERY hungry if his stomach's complaining this loudly. Well, just have to wait for the right moment to ask him if he'd mind comin' with me to my place for some lunch and somewhere to sleep.

Alanna grinned back. "Mmm-hmm. I knew ya were one ah Baku's boys, anyway." She tossed her head back. Zidane raised one eyebrow and shot her a slightly suspicious look. "Don't look at me like that. Just 'cause him an' me kinda agree ta disagree don't mean I don't respect 'im an' Tantalus! I just don't wanna join, that's all. Anyway, those nasty bullies are gone now...I would've found 'em while I was huntin' for your dagger if they wern't."

Zidane cocked his head and seemed to be considering this for a moment; then he said, "Well..thanks."

Cloud nodded. "You're welcome." Least he seems to have bought it. But we'll see if he asks for more details later, when he isn't so tired. Just then, they all heard a loud "kupo? Kupo!!" and then Mogrich flew down the alley. He landed by the group.

"What was all that racket, kupo?"

Alanna turned toward the Moogle. "Not much...this boy" she gestured toward Zidane, "was being picked on by some VERY mean bullies...Me 'n' Cloud chased 'em away." She shot him an innocent look. The moogle looked up and noticed something. He flew up to the roof for a moment.

As he did so, Zidane's stomach growled again. He touched his head like a headache was coming on. Uh oh! Seems like things are really bad...I know what that is. Means his blood sugar's way too low--the cure spell could've been partly to blame. He'd better get something in his stomach now or else...think I've just the thing...

He took off his pack for a moment, reached into a pocket, and removed a piece of fruit. Alanna had called this particular type (which kind of looked like a good-sized red peach) a tamorand. They were hard to come by, though they were delicious. Cloud had managed to buy one for part of his supper tonight for a treat, since he had a job and would need to pack supper. I'd really like this but...Zidane needs it. Hopefully it'll take the edge off his hunger--or at the very least, I know it's sweet enough to get rid of that headache, if I guessed right. He quickly pressed it into Zidane's free hand, smiling at him. Zidane looked up at Cloud, surprised. He tried to give it back; Cloud shook his head, pressing the fruit back into Zidane's hand. Zidane looked into Cloud's eyes; he asked, "You mean it's really for me?". Cloud nodded. Zidane brought the fruit to his mouth and took a bite. His eyes widened with pleasure.

Cloud thought, There. That oughta help out a little...I know what Alanna said about tamorands: "Nobody in 'is right min' would throw away one once they taste it--they're just too good. That's why some thieves I know'll do anythin' ta steal one...tho I don't bother." When I asked her why, she said her old master had taught her not to "dirty yer own squat"--she said that meant she doesn't steal from shopkeepers she regularly buys things from. The way she explained that, shopkeepers are more likely to turn a thief in than a noble since nobles can usually lose a little gil or a gold chain or two or some treasure without getting upset, while a shopkeeper keeps track of everything.

Just then, Mogrich came down with the rope. "This yours, kupo?"

Alanna answered, "Yep, that's mine. Thanks, Mogrich."

Zidane looked up at Cloud, licking some tamorand juice off his lips. "So, that's how you did it!"

"You mean, we got on the roof?", Cloud asked. Zidane nodded and absently took another bite of the fruit. Cloud continued, "Best way we could think of since neither of us knew if there was going to be crates in here to hide behind. You saw what we were trying to do, right?"

Zidane swallowed fast and answered, "Yup, trying to scare them off. It didn't work that well..."

Cloud smiled. "You're right. Thank goodness summoning Shiva worked."

Zidane nodded. Thank goodness Shiva didn't scare him that badly. That's the other reason I chose that materia...Shiva's less likely to scare a innocent bystander than Bahamut, since she looks fairly harmless...well...until she uses her attack--either a more powerful version of the Ice spell or Diamond Dust. Good thing she only startled him a little. Hope if I ever have to summon Bahamut Zidane can take it without running or something--Bahamut tends to be very frightening because of what he is. Not to mention, he tends to snarl when he first appears. Anyway, need to have a quick word with Mogrich before he flies away. Moogles sell blank books and paper...Alanna pointed that out, guess it's because they send letters a lot. The one I've been using for a journal that I brought from Vida is almost full. Cloud nodded and turned to Mogrich for a moment.

"Got any blank books?" Cloud asked.

Mogrich nodded. "I'll sell you one for fifteen gil..." Cloud nodded and gave the Moogle the money and got the book. Then the Moogle flew away.

Alanna absently took out the wallet she'd stolen from the noble who had kicked her, took out the gil and put it in her own wallet, and threw the empty wallet near the trash bin. Then she said, "Cloud, got some errands ta run. See ya later?"
"See you around, Alanna..." Cloud answered. Then Alanna left.

Just after she left, Cloud noticed Zidane swallowed fast out of the corner of one eye. He then asked, "Are you going to leave, too?"

Cloud shook his head. "I promised I wouldn't let'em get you again while we were behind the trash, remember?" Zidane nodded back. Cloud continued, "I always keep my word."

Huh...this might be a good moment to ask... "Zidane? Would you like to come to my place for a while? I'll get you some lunch if you want..." He mentally crossed his fingers, not sure if Zidane would go for it. He might be cautious since there could be kidnappers or child snatchers around...haven't heard of any, but...Noticed people tend to be pretty trusting around here...except when someone's an obvious thief...

"How did you know I was hungry, spikier-hair?"

Cloud clamped down on the desire to laugh; he didn't want to embarrass Zidane any more than he had to. "Heard your belly rumbling...it's okay!" he said as Zidane turned away, embarrassed. "It happens to everybody once in a while."

Zidane nodded and turned away, munching on the tamorand and thinking. Cloud didn't bother him. Oh, c'mon. Make up your mind, okay?, he thought, mentally crossing his fingers. I hope he'll go for it--it'll be a nightmare to keep an eye out for trouble coming his way if he doesn't. Cloud kept his expression neutral, however. He was extremely nervous, but Cloud felt if Zidane knew, it might either influence his decision or he'd ask Cloud why he was nervous. If that happened, either the secret'll be out or I'll have to lie. Neither would be a good idea in the long run.

Just then, Zidane turned toward Cloud. "Okay, I'll follow you to your place."
Cloud was relieved; he smiled, but he controlled himself so Zidane didn't know.All right! I just hope he'll stick around for a while. Nora said he needed a friend to help deal with more than those bullies. Wonder why she thought I'd do? Aloud he said, "Let's go. Stay too long, and they might come looking for you..." Zidane nodded and shuddered. They both went down the alley, turned the opposite way from the shop, and went down the walkway. Just as they started down the stairs by the inn, Zidane threw the tamorand pit away--it was strangely the size of a plum's, which Cloud found amusing. Watching Zidane, he thought, Even though it seems he's fooling himself, I can tell he's tired. You'd have to have sharp eyes, but his feet are dragging just a little...and if I'm not mistaken, he's not holding his tail that high, it's almost dragging. He's not Red XIII, but it stands to reason that since Red did that when he was exhausted, that it's the same for Zidane. Well, we'll see after he gets something to eat...a full belly can sometimes make you really feel it if you're tired.

Cloud led Zidane around the corner and past the inn. They then turned the corner and went past a stand that sold medicines. It didn't take them long after that to get to the house Cloud was staying in. Cloud unlocked the door, smiling. We'd call this a condo apartment back home., he thought. It's pretty small, really. No upstairs, only two bedrooms, the living room--if you could call it that--is dinky, and it doesn't have a bathtub...I had to buy a washtub to use as a bathtub since there's no running water--dunno if they've invented that yet on this world. But at least I know what to do. Had some experience with this kinda thing on Ramza's world. He reached in and absently felt for a (nonexistent) light switch. He frowned, slightly annoyed at himself since this was the fifth or sixth time he'd been thinking about something else and had fallen on that old habit. Oops...did it again. Need to remember NOT to do that...they don't have electric lights around here. He picked up a candle he always left on a small table. He lit it and they went inside.

They walked in and into the kitchen, which was a little bigger than an apartment's, but then there was that wood stove in the corner. When it works, it gives 'slaving over a hot stove' a whole new meaning. That thing's balkier than Boko, that gold chocobo that I got from that guy in Kalm...and that's saying a lot. Least I don't have to use it right away. May have to a bit later...you never know. First, Cloud reached up and lit a lamp that was just above his head, blowing out the candle he was holding afterward. He got into the breadbox for some rolls he'd put there earlier. Then he reached in a drawer for a knife, went over to the icebox (It wasn't anything like it would be at home--it was a chest that used real ice to keep the food cold-he had to watch that or it would make a horrible mess when the ice started melting) and got some cooked meat and some cheese out. He cut open a bun and started cutting some cheese. A quick hand snatched a piece--it was Zidane, who started munching on his prize. Heh, Cloud thought. Very funny. But I understand-who hasn't done that once in a while when they feel like they're starving? Probably that just tempted him a bit too much...Besides, I'm not surprised he succeeded-after all he is a thief. But...I'd better let him know what's going on... "Snatching cheese, eh? You that hungry?" Zidane nodded; he didn't say anything because his mouth was full. "I gotcha. I was making sandwiches though."

Zidane swallowed fast and said, "Guessed that. May I make my own?" Cloud nodded, then handed the knife to Zidane, handle first. I can wait a second. It's not going to kill me, but I still remember what it's like to be young...and growing, though I don't know if it's that. Could be he just has had to eat travel rations for a while...and from what Alanna told me, at best, they're only okay. The worst kind of 'em though's nasty and it's the kind of thing you only eat if you're half starved. And I know already...you get tired of any kind of travel rations very fast, even if they taste good.

Cloud waited patiently while Zidane sliced meat and cheese and made himself a sandwich. After Zidane finished, he started making his own. He left Zidane alone...and didn't try to talk to him while he was eating. Cloud felt that it wasn't a good moment to try.

Maybe another day., he thought as he finished making the sandwich and started eating his lunch. As usual around here, the bread was whole-grain sourdough. Cloud didn't mind that much--though at home, he usually didn't go for sourdough bread much. While he was eating, he thought: I know, no use complaining about the bread. Not my favorite, I'll live--they probably don't know how to do it any other way here. Anyway, I can tell, he's worn out, even if he's a bit too stubborn to admit it. I'd rather start a conversation with him when he's not so tired. People who are tired sometimes do things they'll regret later. I hope he doesn't regret following me in the morning, but I'm going to try not to make it any worse. Perhaps then he'll stick around. Hope so. Going to be hell to keep up with him if he decides to scat. Just as he finished, Cloud felt Zidane's eyes on him. He looked over at Zidane and asked, "What's wrong?" Zidane answered, "Is there any more rolls? I'd like another one, please..." Cloud nodded and got another roll out of the breadbox, making sure Zidane knew where it was. I'll have to get some more bread soon-I'll wait until he's asleep. He'll be fine if I lock the door. Alanna checked for me with a thief's eye and told me that well--that it's nearly impossible for someone to break in here. Good thing too. Less likely to have trouble in here. He just sat there politely, while Zidane made another sandwich and ate it. Cloud noticed Zidane slowed down quite a bit near the end and guessed he was getting full. Then Cloud noticed Zidane yawned.

"You okay?" Cloud asked, though he could guess what the trouble was.

"Yeah. I'm just...suddenly very tired."

Cloud nodded. Guessed that would happen. If you're running on nerve and adrenalin and very little sleep, once you're safe and your belly's full, you feel really tired. That's especially true if someone used Cure on you...and it's worse if it was used multiple times on you. Oh! Just occurred to me...Bet he'd like a bath. He's been on the road goodness knows how long...and I know that Alanna hates bein' dirty for some reason. Think I'll ask...but better go carefully here. Don't want him to think I'm a pervert. "Erm...Zidane? Would you like me to get enough water from the pump so you can take a bath in here?"

Zidane looked up. "Sure! Thanks!"

"I'll drag the tub outta the closet and get the water. Hold on a second, though..." Cloud ran into the other room and grabbed an old pair of pants and a shirt that he'd been sleeping in, as well as some towels, a washcloth, some soap, and a soft cord for a belt. Since he had a spare now that he was staying in a town, it wouldn't matter if he sacrificed this. He ripped off the ends of the pant legs so they would be Zidane's height. As he came in, he eyed exactly where that tail was and ripped a small slit in the seat of the pants so Zidane would have a place to stick it that wouldn't be uncomfortable. Zidane looked up and asked, "What did you do that for?" Cloud answered, "Thought you might need something to change into afterward, okay? Don't worry, I don't care about that outfit." Zidane met Cloud's gaze for a second. Well, must have quite a bit of spunk. Cloud thought absently. Few people around here looked him straight in the eyes, though they looked him in the face. Cloud had thought that was due to the Mako eyes...after all, to someone that didn't know what it was due to, that odd glow in his eyes looked "spooky" and tended to bother people. He'd noticed that people tended to avoid looking him in the eye much on Ramza's world, and it was the same here. Then Zidane looked away from Cloud's eyes. "Gotcha. Thanks." It took a while to haul enough water for the tub, start a fire in that balky stove (It took Cloud a while-and a bit of muttered cussing...to get it to light.), and get the water on to heat. Then Cloud nodded, said, "Okay. Go right ahead when it's hot enough. I'm gonna go set you up a place to sleep. Oh, and don't you dare fall asleep in the tub! I don't want to have to come yank you out!" Cloud thought it best to make sure Zidane knew he respected his privacy. If he's mad at me in the morning, at least he can say I'm not a pervert.

Zidane nodded, yawned again, and then laughed. "Don't worry, I won't."

Cloud nodded back, and then he left the kitchen with a lit candle and shut the door. Then he went down to the tiny spare room. He first put the candle on a windowsill where it wouldn't get in his way. Then, he yanked a mat and some cushions out of a closet. I remember when I got these. Alanna was around and she thought it was funny, but I told her later that I guessed Ka...Zidane'd been sleeping on the ground. I'd rather make sure, since I know he's going to have to sleep on the floor if I don't want him to get suspicious, that I want to make sure he's got the most comfortable place to sleep he's had in a while, barring the occasional inn. She liked that idea. He also got some sheets out as well. Laying the mat on the floor, he put the cushions in a row over it, and then he basically made a bed on the floor with the sheets. He took his time and leaned out a couple of times to make sure Zidane had kept his word...and he could still hear splashing, so he knew everything was okay. He also grabbed a pillow and a blanket on those trips and finished making the "bed".

After he got done, Zidane still hadn't come out (but Zidane was still splashing a bit, so Cloud guessed Zidane was taking his time.) Cloud just leaned against the wall and thought a bit. So far, everything was going just fine. But that was only for now. Had those bullies decided to leave Zidane alone for good? It occurred to him that he could ask Nora, but he also realized now was not the time. It was too much of a risk for him to try since he could very well get caught, which was something he didn't want to happen.

He did miss home...New Midgar...Tifa...old Reeve happening by to say hi, and even Vincent dropping by once in a while, though Cloud didn't like it when Vincent came up from behind him after it got dark. (Vincent knew that and tried to make enough noise to let Cloud know that he was coming if it was getting dark or was dark.)

Ach, can't let myself get too homesick., Cloud thought. Though I still wonder why Nora thought it was necessary to get Zidane a friend and protector. I've that promise to keep, though. Besides, he'd be dead now if I hadn't known and hadn't been there, pretty obviously. Once that arm got broken, it would have been all over pretty soon. Can't fight very well with a broken arm. He finally heard one good splash, and about five minutes later, he saw Zidane coming, in the clothes he'd slipped him and with his hair wet. Good, that works. I think he'll also realize later I wasn't--and am not--interested in seeing him having to erm...run around with no clothes on. Cloud showed Zidane where he'd set up that temporary bed. Zidane sat down, sighed, grabbed the blanket and settled in. Cloud nodded and left with the candle. He went into the kitchen and scooped up those dirty clothes, and put them in a basket he used for dirty laundry. I'll wash these...boy did Alanna tease me about not knowin' how to use a washboard! Well, duh. Didn't even see one on Ramza's world...and someone else did the laundry, not me.

He went into the tiny sitting room (Cloud guessed it was the living room really, but he didn't want to call it that because it was so small) and put the candle on a small table. He thought about what had just happened. Zidane was safe here for now, he knew. But what about tomorrow? The idea of asking Nora seemed very appealing, but he decided to wait a little while until he was sure Zidane was deep in dreamland. He dragged his old journal out for a while...it did only have three or four pages left. Grabbing a pen, he wrote down what had just happened. Near the end of the entry, he wrote:

I don't know what's next. It bothers me somewhat...that I don't know how Zidane got those kids so mad at him or if he even knows. Didn't ask 'cause he's reeling from fatigue. Maybe Nora knows if we scared them off permanently or at least can tell me if those idiots are going to try again soon. Forewarned is truly forearmed. I think I'll ask Nora in a bit about it...Dunno if she'll tell me much, but it's worth a try.

After that, he shut it. He thought: Oops. Forgot that I'd better keep this where Zidane won't see it. I've been writing in this thing more than I usually do, simply because I don't have much else to do besides chores when I'm alone. The nobles have got most of the books, so I can't get one to read right now. And if he does find my journal, he'll know about Nora right away if he decides to snoop. Shouldn't be hard to make sure he doesn't see it though.

He walked over and poked his head in Zidane's room. Zidane had rolled over on his side and had one arm over his head. He was obviously asleep now. Cloud nodded and left the room. He went back into the sitting room and sat back down. Then he took the orange materia out of his pocket and used it to call Nora so maybe he could find out if they'd truly chased off those bullies for good. :Just a second, okay?: he heard her say. A few seconds later, she appeared as a ghostly form in front of him. :You got him here and safe I see.: she said.

:Don't worry, Zidane's asleep or I wouldn't of called you. Otherwise, it'd be too risky.:

Nora nodded. :Okay, you had something you wanted to ask me?:

:Did we chase off those bullies for good? Hope so...:

Nora shook her head. :I'm afraid not. And yes I did see what happened; I was cheering you on. One of them was following you at a distance, so they know where he is. They're going to try again tomorrow...but it's hard to see much into the future past that right now.:

:How come?: It seemed odd to Cloud, for she had been able to see this two weeks ago and had been right.

Nora sighed. :Let me explain this with an analogy. You've been near quiet ponds you can see your reflection in, right?: Cloud nodded. Nora continued. :If a big turtle crawls on the bottom, that turtle can stir up a lot of muck and cloud the water until you can't see your reflection any more. Sometimes looking into the future is like that. However, when I start having trouble is when there's many possible futures...it's like looking into a prism really. When that happens, it's impossible for me to tell which one is the right one. Like that muck in the pond though, it will eventually settle...it just takes some time for that to happen.:

Cloud nodded. Nora went on, :I forgot to tell you. You remember how you left Ramza's world, right?:

:Yeah. You aren't going to do it that way, are you? I didn't like waking up that way...in the snow, in the Northern Crater...:

Nora shook her head. :I wouldn't do that. But what I mean is you never got a chance to say goodbye to your new friends, I found out. You were sent home in the middle of the night. I don't consider that very fair or even right. Believe me, I chewed Varia out for that after I did find out!: She then said some word that Cloud thought must be some kind of cussword; it sounded like karrav or something like that. He didn't get the meaning, which was probably a mercy. She then sighed. :I don't think she took me seriously though. Few people from my race do. Being a Guardian can be very lonely, even if you do go and make friends with other people.:

:Why's that?: Cloud was just curious.

:Because once one of my people takes the Guardian's oath, that person is effectively joined with the planet that chooses him or her. You share the planet's pain...and its life. You live as long as it does--which effectively gives you almost an everlasting life, since planets live for many millennia, though it doesn't make you completely immortal. But also: Many a time have I not been able to say goodbye to a friend I made while I was roaming the surface of Gaia. I think if there is a choice, and if you must leave someone behind like that, at least you should be able to wish him or her goodbye.:

:What are you getting at? Get to the point!:

Nora nodded. :I understand. Cloud, I think it will be very obvious when this is over and Zidane will be okay from then on. So, I give the decision on when to leave into your hands. Just tell me when, and I'll send you home.:

:Oh, now I see. That way, I can say bye first and then leave, right?:

Nora nodded again. :You got it. By the way, I promise that if something is going to go horribly wrong, I'll try to warn you in a dream, since I don't dare leave any physical evidence around for someone else to find. If I left you a note or something, I would get in big trouble with the Council of Twelve.: Cloud guessed she meant the authorities. She continued, :And no, I am not looking at your future. I can't, but I can look at the futures of the people you associate with. I can probably figure out if something will go badly wrong from that alone, though it isn't perfect. And...I'd better go.:

Cloud nodded. :See you later, okay?:

:Okay.:

Then Nora completely disappeared. Cloud nodded and put the orange materia away. I'd better do that laundry and get it over with., Cloud thought. So he got a smaller washtub and the washboard out of a closet. The fire in the stove was still lit, thank goodness, though it was coals now. It didn't take much to build it up a little and heat some water to wash clothes with. Then, after he dumped the water into the washtub, he dragged it out the back door. He went back in to get the soap, the washboard, and the laundry basket (as well as a basket which had a bunch of holes in it that he used to rinse clothes in), which he'd left by the door. He wet the clothes, got some soap on them, and started scrubbing them. They were really dirty. Just as he'd gotten to scrubbing things good and hard, he heard footsteps and he looked up. It was Alanna.

"Hey, Alanna."

"Hey. Everythin' all right?" Alanna walked up by Cloud and the washtub.

"Yeah. Zidane's asleep right now. Thought he might want clean clothes when he wakes up, though."

Alanna nodded. "Yeah, yer probably right, Cloud. Traveling is hard on ya an' ya end up stinkin'...that is, if ya don't have an airship." She wrinkled her nose.

"Don't like being really dirty do you?" Neither do I., Cloud thought. Sometimes you can't avoid being dirty when you're traveling. No way to take a bath until you get to an inn, even if you get in a nasty fight.

Alanna shook her head. "Yer right, I don't. Anyway, he's snug in bed now, an' do ya think everythin's gonna be okay?"

Cloud nodded as he scrubbed the clothes. "You told me this house was just about impossible to get into once it's locked without making a lot of noise, right?"

Alanna nodded. "Yup. You'd need an axe or a hammer. Auger might help, but ya still gotta get in there with a crowbar...that's not only sloppy, it's noisy. That's also the mark ah an amateur at the game. Anyways, think yer gonna need someone ta watch da house tonight? I'll do it..an' check on 'im later. He ain't human, no tellin' what he'll do. He might wake up, ya know."

"True." Cloud said pensively. "I'll give you the keys before I leave, okay?" He checked the clothes he was washing; he'd almost got them clean. Alanna answered, "Thanks. I'll help ya iron that shirt when it's dry; I know ya ruined one shirt playin' with that iron!"

Cloud laughed. "Give me an iron from home and I'm fine. But that thing you call an iron...forget it!"

Alanna grinned back. "Well, we'll see how it goes, hey? Did ya ask You-Know-Who 'bout anything?" Cloud knew who she meant by "You-Know-Who": she meant Nora. Alanna only called Nora that when she was sure they would be overheard. He answered, "Yeah, there might be trouble tomorrow. I'll keep my eyes open." He checked again; the shirt he was scrubbing was finally clean. He took it and put it in the other basket...the one that had holes in it (he'd rinse them all under the pump when he got done) and started on another piece.


Late that day, after Cloud had left for work, Zidane slowly woke up and yawned. Goodness, he thought. How long's it been? He headed for the bathroom first (he had to go) then stretched a bit. He also noticed that he was starting to get hunger pangs...and they were growing worse, like a living thing. Been sleeping quite a while I guess, because I'm hungry again. Why's it so bad now? That was a old, tired thought-his appetite had grown by leaps and bounds soon after he'd left Lindbulm. I don't know why I'm suddenly getting so hungry. Is something wrong with me? I feel okay, though, so I don't think I'm sick...It worried him a bit...but then it occurred to him. I really don't have to worry much about it now! Cloud was nice and shared what he had...I don't think he'd mind if I got a snack out of the icebox! Wish I knew him better though...he seems okay...wonder where he came from, though. Haven't ever seen him before... He worried over that a bit as he headed back to the kitchen, holding a lit candle. He'd just put the candle down and was about to open the icebox when he heard...a key...turning in the lock of the door. He jumped and turned that way. It was Alanna, carrying a tin lantern in one hand and a pail full of ice and a covered basket in the other. Brother, her again!? "You scarface, what are you doing here?"

Alanna didn't even blink. "Promised Cloud that I'd check on ya. And yer not gettin' nowhere with callin' me that. I've been called every name in da book, prolly 'cause I'm a girl and a thief."

Oh? That surprised Zidane a bit. Better give that up then, though...still don't know if I can completely trust this...person..."Erm...Alanna...why did you go after that treasure in the first place?"

That got her attention. "Well...that guy had a couple of Moon Daggers in his basement--they were in that treasure. Ya know how hard it is ta find those? Sheesh...I needed 'em ta get my Moon Shard forged. At that, when I finally found da Moonstones I needed later on...I had ta really bribe that blacksmith ta do it."

Oh! That makes sense. Getting a new weapon made can be a tricky business. Zidane thought a minute...he'd heard that weapon mentioned somewhere...then he remembered what that was and what he'd seen her using earlier, during the fight...and put the two together. "What? You use a swordstaff?! I've heard of them, but never heard of someone who could use one!"

Alanna chuckled. "Not many can. It's not exactly da most common weapon ya see. Especially the girls' versions. Swordstaves for guys are easier ta come by, I've noticed." Zidane's stomach betrayed him then, growling rather loudly. He blushed. "Oops...thought ya might wake up hungry." Alanna said and smiled. She put the bucket and the basket on the table. The bucket not only had ice in it, it had a small bottle in there...with something in it. The towel flipped up a bit, and a tantalizing smell wafted up...which really woke the hunger-beast inside him. He stopped himself just in time. Yeesh...I'm sickening. She might have done something to that...

Alanna must have seen the look on his face, for she said, "You think I'd poison ya?" Zidane nodded, cautiously. "No, I wouldn't. Cloud'd kill me when he got home if I did...I don't wanna be on da wrong end ah that blade. Ever. Besides, ya seem like a nice guy. I don't like Baku all that good, but I respect 'im and 'is people...I was tellin' da truth earlier when I said that. And if Cloud didn't kill me, Baku would anyway when he found out." She shrugged. Whatever that was in the basket seemed to be calling his name...almost screaming it, as a matter of fact. Before he could stop himself again, he'd reached into the basket and his hand had closed around something. And he...couldn't...get himself to drop it, so he brought it out. It was some kind of dough pillow. He sniffed at it.

Alanna whispered, "Oh, c'mon! I meant what I said an' I said what I meant-I wouldn't dare hurt 'cha, k? Cloud's one guy ya don't argue with. Ever." She looked him straight in the eyes again when she said "Ever." I think she means it. It's the look in those eyes...boyy...she'd sure be pretty if...oh stop it! I don't know why I've been noticing girls lately either. That was another thing he'd noticed lately...he'd been noticing girls...and it was pleasant to watch a pretty one, though he'd gotten tongue-tied a few times when he'd tried to talk to a really pretty one. While he was worrying over that, that hand with that dough pillow found its way to his mouth...and oh! It was stuffed with cheese and vegetables and was really good. Mmm! Well, I guess I'm stuck for it now...

His mouth watered when he thought about what might be in there. Won't hurt to look. He eased off the towel a bit. There was a few more of those dough pillows and a biiig wedge of a meat pie in the basket, on a couple of earthenware plates. All of it looked delicious. Before he realized what he was doing, he found himself munching on those dough pillows. Maaan, I'm just disgusting. There weren't that many of them, and they disappeared almost like magic. He brought that pie out of the basket and looked at it...boy it looked good! His appetite warred with caution for a second, but he finally gave in and looked for a fork. It turned out that that bottle in the bucket was some apple cider as well. This time though, he controlled himself firmly. As much as he wanted to gobble it down, he not only didn't want to be that rude, he wanted a chance to think a bit.

Alanna was sitting there, leaning back in the chair at a very dangerous angle. She wasn't really watching him; she was making a leather lanyard. He watched her a bit out of one corner of an eye. She seems harmless enough. If she's telling the truth, it was just one of those 'wrong place, wrong time' things, and her story seems very likely. Happens sometimes. He realized that he was starting to let go of the mistrust he had of 'Alan' and really looking at her for once. After all, Alanna is 'Alan' with the truth revealed. Hmmm though...does Blank know all this? I think he does...maybe I could ask? He got up his courage, swallowed what he was eating, and asked, "Hey, does Blank know the truth about you?"

Alanna looked up, got the chair on all four legs again, and said, "Yep, he does."

"How'd he find out, anyway?"

Alanna chuckled. "Was kinda a accident. It was a week after that bit with the treasure, ya know. See, I just wanted a root beer, so I went down ta da café. I wasn't plannin' on goin' ta da hideout or anywhere near Tantalus, so I looked like a girl that day. And two guesses who was at da bar?"

Zidane grinned. "Blank, right?"

"Dead on! Well, it took 'im a good minute ta recognize me, but when he did...well, he hollered, "You idiot! Pulling one over on Baku like that!" and kinda made me spit out my drink on someone else. Ta make a long story short, we got inta an argument...and decided ta settle it with da blade. Da owner yelled at us ta take it outside, which we did."

Zidane knew exactly what she meant. Yep, he decided to challenge her, eh? I remember...a week after 'Alan' got that treasure ahead of us, Blank came home...beat up. He said when Baku asked who did it, he said "don't ask, I don't want to talk about it" and Baku let it drop. I can guess now... "You clobbered him, didn't you?" He chuckled.

Alanna grinned and nodded. "Heh, yeah, I did. He shouldn't ah thought I was a weaklin' since I'm a girl. His big mistake, that was. Tho I did gain 'is respect after that whompin'...took 'im a while ta forgive me for that, but we're friends now...and we play Tetra Master a lot."

Zidane smiled and took a couple more bites, then asked, "Hmm? Do a lot of people underestimate you like that?"

"Yeah, all da time. See, most people think that a gal's weak, an' don't give a gal no respect. Girl has ta be just as good as a guy or better 'fore she'll get any respect. So I have ta train harder than you do, I warrant."

Never thought of it that way...I'll still help her out if she needs it, though. Protect her if I can...but if she can take care of herself, I won't need to. He was a bit surprised at himself. Oh, he'd protected girls before. But it was...he was actually beginning to think of her more as a person now...and not "that idiot who got that treasure before we did", as well as someone who might need help...though he doubted he would be able to do much. After all, she'd clobbered Blank. (and since he'd seen Blank come home like that, it was very likely true) He didn't know what to say...or think about this at the moment. Alanna leaned back in the chair again, working on the lanyard. Zidane went back to eating, thinking about what had happened. It only seemed like a few minutes before that pie was gone...and ohh, he was stuffed. Boy...did it again...I'm just gross... he thought. He yawned.

Alanna looked up. "Still tired?"

"Yeah." Before he realized what he was doing, he blurted out, "Can't figure out why though."

"Mmm...when did ya get a good night's sleep 'fore this?"

"Erm...wasn't for about a couple of weeks or so..."

"Then that's why. Ya been pushin' yerself too hard. So now yer payin' for it. Don't worry 'bout it, s'long as ya take it easy for a day or two, ya should be fine. Happened ta me once or twice, so I know how it goes."

"Well, I don't want to go back to bed, yet. Anyway, what is it with you and Cloud anyway? Is he your...boyfriend or something?" Zidane was just curious...it just seemed a bit odd for a girl and a guy to be hanging around together if they weren't.

Alanna shook her head. "Pishhhaw. He's only my swordbrother, that's all. He's already got a girlfriend, so I ain't interested in 'im that way. Bein' swordsibs is good enough for me."

Ohh. I know what that means...they're just friends and they'll guard each other's back if they get in a fight. If they were dating she'd say "he's my swordmate" Zidane didn't know where those terms came from, (probably from knights) but it didn't matter. He asked, "Where did he come from, anyway? I haven't seen him before..."

Alanna smiled. "He's not from around here, ya know. He's from a different world. How he got here is a bit ov a tale. I think ya ought ta get that tale from the chocobo's beak, tho. Secondhand ain't always da best, ya know, and I'd rather ya got it from 'im instead ah me."

Zidane nodded. Wow. Wonder how that happened? But she's right, I'll ask Cloud later. If she doesn't want to talk about it, I won't push it. "How did you find him, anyway?"

Alanna nodded, and launched into a tale of one day at the bar...she'd gone in there to meet a friend, and then there was a bar fight...and when she'd tried to stop it, this spikey-haired spook-eyed guy had walked up, telling her to 'put that blade away' When she hadn't, he'd stopped the fight...with a sleep spell?! Zidane interrupted then and said, "Hey, that's impossible!" She answered, "Well, with him it ain't. I gather magic works differently on 'is world, and he's still usin' 'is way ah doin' it. See, he can use both black an' white magic, but I understand he's limited ta all the spells that were on 'is world tho. He can't cast da legendary spell Flare, for instance." Zidane nodded, getting even more curious. He didn't completely trust Alanna, but this story sounded too incredible not to have some truth to it. Not only that, since he had seen Blank coming home beat up back then, he guessed she hadn't lied about that either. Blank's bruises and cuts didn't lie--they had been there, about the time that she said she'd 'whupped' Blank.

Zidane wasn't resentful about that, though, even though Blank was a friend. In this case, it had seemed to be more of Blank's fault...he hadn't needed to let the argument go so far as to have to "settle it with the blade"; in other words, it had turned into a fight. There are times when that happens,Zidane thought. Sometimes there's no way to settle something except with the blade. I guess I kind of understand why Blank didn't back down...back then, I probably would of done the same and gotten creamed myself. He yawned again. Alanna said, "Whoo. You'd better hit da hay. A hint tho: take it easy if ya can tomorra', k? Ya prolly just pushed yerself way too hard gettin' here. Also, be careful, k? Don't worry 'bout trouble in here, it's hard ta break in here. But if ya do have a chance ta get out, ya don't know what might happen, this is kinda a rough neighborhood." With that cryptic advice, she left and shut the door. Zidane heard a key in the lock. She's locking it, I'm sure. Oh well.

He yawned again and went back into the room, lying on the "bed" on the floor. Even though he was tired, for a while sleep just refused to come. He had a lot on his mind. Man, what have I gotten myself into anyway? A guy who not only can use summon magic, but can use black and white magic as well?! That's Cloud for you. He's really weird. He seems human, but...and Alanna! I thought 'Alan' was a bad person, sneaking in right before us and getting our treasure before we got there. But it turns out...'Alan' is really 'Alanna' the girl and Alanna isn't a nasty or mean person at all. She's actually rather nice. And what she said earlier about not knowing what we were planning sounds like it could be true. I just don't know what to think. He yawned again. I'll make sure to ask Cloud about stuff in the morning... His eyelids were getting way too heavy, so he let sleep just pounce on him and carry him away.


Cloud came back late that night. He'd gotten a basket of fruit along the way home from a merchant. Alanna was waiting for him.

"How'd it go?" he asked.

Alanna gave him back his keys and said, "Pretty well I think. We talked, he asked some questions 'bout what was goin' on and stuff. At least he didn't kill me, that's progress. He's sleepin' now, I checked. Oh, and ya might wanna be aware: I think he's interested in girls. I noticed da way he looked at me after he calmed down a bit."

Cloud nodded, said "Thanks, and I'll keep that in mind.", and went into the house for the night. After a second, Alanna went the other way.


Morning came all too soon. Zidane stirred, woke up, and yawned twice. He got up, headed for the bathroom, and got dressed (someone had cleaned and mended his clothes, he was grateful). As he combed his hair, he thought, Well, seems like a nice day. He took a deep breath. I feel better today, though... It was true too. He felt alive and alert this morning. His belly was complaining bitterly as usual, but otherwise he felt just fine. Hmm, he thought as he wet a leather cord in a bowl of water and pulled the longer part of his hair back. I think I'll have a look around. At least it won't hurt and I might be able to get something to eat. He was curious about this place a bit...he thought he might be able to find something out about Cloud, because he knew that sometimes what was in a person's home could tell a lot about that person. His curiosity was greater than his hunger at the moment. He picked up the candle and went into the next room. He wandered around the house, looking around. The furniture was fairly plain, strangely enough. He poked his head into what turned out to be Cloud's bedroom; he saw that Cloud was still asleep. Zidane smiled and turned away; he didn't notice that one of Cloud's eyes opened as Zidane turned away.

Walking into the kitchen, he noticed a basket of fruit. Before he could stop himself, he'd grabbed a nice big apple out of it and had taken a bite of it (it was good), but he thought a bit. It seemed that Cloud was more of a traveler, for there wasn't much personal stuff around. Chomping on the fruit, Zidane walked into the tiny living room. There was a wooden bench and a small table at one end...with something in a frame and Cloud's pack leaning up against it? There was a chair over by there. The frame on the table drew Zidane's attention. He forgot about the apple for a second and went to see what it was.

He picked it up and turned it over. It turned out to be a black-and-white picture of a girl. Her long hair was a mess, she was laying on her front in some short grass, and she had definitely been laughing. Her hair (when it wasn't messed up) obviously went to her behind. She was, considering this was a black-and-white picture, was rather beautiful. Hmm, Zidane thought. Who's this? She sure is pretty...Maybe this is the girlfriend that Alanna mentioned that Cloud had? Seems likely to me...

Zidane put the picture back. Why did he leave there, anyway? His girl is probably worried sick. I wonder...that'll have to wait though. I'll ask him. He put down the picture and then remembered about the apple in his other hand. He munched on it for a bit. Think I'll go outside for a bit. Better make sure I can get away if I have to. He checked the door handle. It was unlocked. Blowing out the candle, he opened the door and went outside. He looked around. It seemed rather simple to get away, but Zidane saw no reason to run. He treated me pretty decently last night. Not a lot of people would of left someone alone like that...that is, most people who would invite someone like me into their home are perverts. He's not or he would of looked in on me in the bath. He decided to go around to the back yard. It looked like someone had been training there. There were a couple of pells...one of them had some deep gashes in it...Whoo, who did that?! I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of that weapon... He finished the apple and threw away the core.

Just then, Zidane heard a familiar voice yell, "You stupid monkey-boy! Gotcha!" He turned around quickly. It was the kids from the other day...Zidane could feel his heart beginning to pound, but he answered, "Huh? Go away and leave me alone! What did I do to you guys?"

As yesterday, they didn't leave him alone...and they didn't answer either.. It came to weapons again. But this time, Zidane found he was having a bit better luck than yesterday. A good bit of sleep and a couple of solid meals under his belt seemed to have helped a lot--he was holding his own, but it seemed it wouldn't be long before he got overwhelmed again. Just as Zidane thought he should run (but couldn't) he heard a window open, and someone holler, "Get away from that boy!" It was Cloud, and he was in quite a state. Half his hair was sticking up like a bird's wing, and the rest was sticking out in a most...peculiar fashion. He also needed a shave. Cloud quickly jumped out of the window. He landed on his feet and put his hand on his blade's hilt warningly. Zidane's tormentors snarled. The biggest kid, whom Zidane had guessed was the leader, yelled, "Get out of here, you spikey-head! Who made you boss?! Get him guys!"

Cloud frowned. "Don't have time for you guys. Didn't listen to a warning, you asked for it..." He brought his hands together and closed his eyes for a second. Zidane noticed one of the red crystals on Cloud's bangle flared to life. Nothing seemed to happen for a heartbeat; but then...
...Out of the sky with a snarl...
...swooped...
...A big, black dragon! Zidane froze, scared half to death. The dragon swooped down, growling. The other kids all screamed. The dragon turned around and swooped again. The kids all ran. The dragon went over and hovered near Cloud's head, but Zidane was so scared, he didn't do anything except tremble. Wwwwhat is goin' on?, he thought. That d dddragon is gonna kill him...

Cloud smiled at Bahamut (which was what Zidane had identified as a dragon). :Okay, that takes care of...whoops!:

:Pardon?: Bahamut asked Cloud.

:Forgot. Didn't warn Zidane and it looks like he's scared half to death.: Cloud mentally kicked himself for forgetting.

:You might still be able to salvage the situation if you try.:

Cloud considered that for a second. :Yeah, you're right. He doesn't need to be afraid of Eidolons!:

:Why? He can't summon, and never will be able to...I can sense that from here.:

:Well...Do you know Nora?:

:Yes I do. Why do you ask?:

:Nora told me that he's one of the ones destined to save the world. I've a theory...: He showed Bahamut some of his memories of the tough fights he'd been in where he or one of his friends had had to use summon magic to stay alive. :I think that your mistress might be one of those people as well...sometimes one has to summon in a fight, or you and your friends are very dead. Could be wrong about your mistress though.:

:Then again, you may be right, Cloud. I'm sorry I can't touch his mind and just get this over with, though. He doesn't have the right talents. One has to at least have some mage-talent before I can touch their mind...he has some kind of power, but it's tightly locked up inside him. My guess is that he doesn't know that he has it.: At that, Bahamut's voice sounded fairly wise at this point...yes, he was old and it showed. But it wasn't the kind of "old" that was weak. No, this was the kind of old that showed a lot of power and a lot of wisdom. Cloud was grateful for that right now. Bahamut was said to be the oldest summoned creature of them all, and anyone that had summoned Bahamut knew that to be true. The revelation that "Zidane has some kind of power, but it's tightly locked up inside him" was news to Cloud, though. The way it looked though, it seemed Bahamut was very right. Wonder what that power is, though? If it's 'locked up' it may be difficult to pry it loose. He said to Bahamut however, :So, you wanna kind of...atone for scaring your mistress, you mean?:

:Yes and no. It's customary for Eidolons to show themselves to the young ones...it does no good for young summoners to be afraid of their powers. However, my mistress doesn't remember the lesson.:

Cloud nodded. :Well, I'll do the talking and translate for you, he can hear me just fine. 'Scuse me in advance if I talk out loud to you.:

:Nothing to say 'excuse me' about. Why do you ask for my pardon?:

:Because at home it's considered very rude to talk aloud to a summoned creature--and one's never rude to a Esper! That's what they call summoned creatures back home, besides 'summoned creatures' if you wanted to know, Bahamut.:

:That explains it. Thanks, Cloud. Do not worry about it, here it's only the mark of a rank amateur.:

:Okay. Bahamut, I got an idea. How does this sound: You fly up well outta Zidane's reach for a while. I'll go over there and try to calm him down.:

Bahamut blinked. :Then I come down so he gets the 'object lesson' hmmm? That might work. Okay...I'll look through your eyes a bit so I'll know when he's calmed down.:

:Okay.: Cloud was used to summoned creatures looking through his eyes along with him. It was the kind of thing one got used to or one didn't summon at all. Summoned creatures had to size up the situation before they made their attack, after all.

Cloud walked over to Zidane and put his hand on one shoulder.
"Hey, you okay?"

Zidane looked up. "Uh..." He was shaking like a leaf.

Cloud thought a second. I'd better be careful or I'll make it worse., he thought. "Sorry about the scare. It's my fault..."

Zidane swallowed hard. "How...can...that...dragon be your fault?"

"Because that's a Eidolon, okay? I called him to scare those idiots off. Unfortunately, I forgot that he'd scare you too because I was in a hurry. I'm sorry; should've gotten closer and warned you."

"A...Eidolon?! I dddidn't know there wwwwere any like that..."

"Some of them are scary looking, so don't worry about it. That one is Bahamut. He won't hurt you...since part of the summon magic mind-links the summoner and the creature that is summoned until the Eidolon leaves. He knows that I don't want to hurt you, so he won't lay one claw on you. You're safe."

Zidane's eyes widened; he stopped shaking so bad. Cloud guessed he was starting to get ahold of himself. "Wha? Are you serious?!"

Cloud nodded. "Besides, Eidolons are just as smart as you or me."

"I thought he was going to eat you!"

"Eat me?!" Cloud laughed. "Nah, we were talking. See, Eidolons talk mind to mind, so of course you wouldn't of heard anything. They don't talk to people other than the person that summoned them very often."

:You got that right!: Bahamut said. Cloud realized he was grinning when Zidane asked, "Why are you smiling all of a sudden?"

Cloud cocked his head upward at Bahamut. "It's Bahamut. He agreed with me."

"Oh? Like that? I saw your eyes go funny for a second..."

"Huh...me and my friends back home used to summon a lot, never noticed anythin' like that before. Then again, the summoned creatures never stayed around this long."

"Makes sense." Just then, Bahamut said, :I think he's calmed down enough. I'm coming.: Cloud cried out with mind and voice, "Be careful Bahamut!" He answered, :I know what I'm doing. Be easy, okay?: Bahamut landed right in front of Zidane and Cloud. Zidane cringed. Bahamut then did a odd thing. He stretched his neck out, touched his muzzle to Zidane, and started...gently nuzzling him. :Bahamut, are you crazy?!:, Cloud said with mind and voice. Bahamut answered, :No, I think he needed this to overcome his fear.: Bahamut backed away a little and looked Zidane straight in the eyes. Nothing needed to be said; Zidane daringly reached up and touched Bahamut's muzzle, stroking it a little, then he backed away. Bahamut nodded, then turned and said, :I got to leave, okay?: which Cloud repeated to Zidane as "He says he has to leave." Zidane nodded as Bahamut took off and disappeared into the sky, vanishing into the shadow world.

Cloud turned to Zidane. "Well, let's go back inside, okay? I must look awful..."

Zidane nodded pensively...he obviously had a lot on his mind. They went into the house. Cloud headed into the bathroom so he could finish getting himself fixed up for the day. He figured he'd better shave first, so he got his kit out...including the safety razor. He'd just taken his shaving mug (which he hoped no one would get a good look at, since it was the unbreakable kind), lathered up and begun scraping his face...when he felt another's eyes on him. He turned from the old metal mirror to discover that it was Zidane.

"Cloud? What are you doing with that funny looking thing?"

What? Oh, Zidane must've never seen a safety razor before. "Erm, just shaving. It's a razor..."

"Never seen one like that..."

"Guessed that was why you asked that. I didn't come from aroun' here..."

"Alanna said that you were from a different world..."

"She was right. I didn't...it's a long story though." Cloud went back to scraping his face while Zidane waited. It didn't take long for Cloud to finish and reach for the hair gel. (Alanna had said there was something similar around here that he could use when he ran out...) "I didn't really want to come here..."

"Oh?"

"Comin' here was due to that I happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time." Cloud ran some gel through his hair and picked up the comb.

"What happened?"

Cloud sighed. "It started when I went to pick up a engagement ring from a jeweler in Rocket Town..."

"Erm...'Rocket Town'"

"This was on my homeworld, okay? It's called Vida."

Zidane nodded...just as Cloud finished straightening out his hair. Cloud then headed toward the kitchen, and Zidane followed. While they were on their way, Cloud continued, "That town's quite a ways from where I live, you understand...but I knew I'd have to find one that did good custom designs if I wanted to get a ring for my girlfriend, Tifa. Jewelers that can do good custom stuff are rare."

"Hmm...why did you have to go to the trouble?"

"Tifa fights hand-to-hand. I didn't wanna ring that'ud break with one punch...yet it had to be pretty, too. Took me two months of lookin' before I found one who could create a ring that would work. I'll show it to you later if you want to see it."

"Is Tifa...that girl in the picture that was left on the table in the sitting room?"

"Yup, that's Tifa." I don't mind...Guess I was tired last night or I would've put it away. They entered the kitchen; Cloud reached into the icebox to get some eggs and sausage out to make breakfast with. (Alanna had warned him not to just cook hot mush for a while...that stuff was often found in travel rations) He got them and went to the stove. As he was getting out the frypan, Zidane asked, "Alanna said you could do black magic. Was she telling the truth?" Cloud thought a second, decided that this was worth wasting a bit of energy over so Zidane wouldn't be shocked later and said, "She wasn't. I'll prove it. See that bucket over there in the corner?" Zidane nodded. Cloud cast a low level Ice spell on the bucket, making Zidane jump. Cloud said, "Don't touch that bucket, okay? You'll freeze your hand..." Zidane asked, "Why didn't you just do that to the bullies earlier?" Cloud answered, "'Cause I really didn't want to hurt them, just scare them off. The only way I could do that with any other magic but summon magic would've been to cast an unfocused spell..."

"Unfocus...uh oh, it would of hit me too, right?"

He's not dumb, that's for sure! "True. I didn't think I had time to warn you to get out of the way...though summoning has its own problems. Takes more out of a person, for one..."

"Pardon?"
Cloud then explained to Zidane what he'd explained to Alanna earlier about magic, but with Zidane, he also made sure to let him know what he knew about how magic worked on his world. Never hurts to know, I think. Who knows? He might run into someone else who can use magic...though he can't I think. Near the end, Zidane said, "Materia, huh? So if someone stole them..."

"...I couldn't do magic, that's it." Cloud finished. Zidane nodded.
It didn't take him long to cook some breakfast and get it on the table. (Luckily the stove was behaving today...) As they ate, they talked. Cloud didn't find out why Zidane had left, but he did find out that Zidane had been wandering around here and there, catching airship rides when he could. He also explained to Zidane the rest of his story (leaving Nora and the mysterious lady out). When Zidane asked, "Is it even possible to travel between worlds on purpose?" Cloud answered, "I think it's nearly impossible to do it on purpose. I won't say it's completely impossible 'cause someone might find a way tomorrow, but it's nearly impossible as far as I can tell. I never did it on purpose, it just happened." Cloud didn't go into details however. Doing that, he knew, would involve mentioning the Guardian. After they finished, Cloud got a kettle and was about to haul water to do the dishes with when out of the blue, Zidane asked, "What are you up to now?"

Cloud sighed. "Gettin' ready to do the dishes, of course."

"May I help?"

"Sure! Just don't touch that bucket I iced, get the one out of the closet, okay?"

"Okay." With another pair of hands, it didn't take long to get the kettle full and on the stove. While they waited for it to heat, Zidane asked, "What is it with summoning, anyway? That Bahamut scared me good..."

"It's okay. He scares a lot of people when they first see him, since he looks like a monster. Sorry I didn't warn you, okay?" Zidane nodded. Cloud continued, "Summoning is just a different kind of magic, that's all. For one, the Eidolon's mind is linked with the summoner's as long as the Eidolon is around. So, Bahamut knew what I knew instantly; that I didn't want to hurt you. Even if I'd asked Bahamut to tear those bullies apart, he'd of left you alone."

"Are there others besides Bahamut and Shiva?"

"Yeah, there are. From what I know at home and from what Alanna told me, there's Ifrit, Odin, Phoenix, Ramuh, and more. I dunno all of them here, but then again, all I can summon right now is Shiva and Bahamut. I left the other summon materia home-I wasn't gonna be going anywhere dangerous, after all, so I wasn't prepared for big trouble." That's true, as far as it goes. Wasn't expecting any trouble, really.

"That was Shiva yesterday, right?"

"Yeah." Something occurred to Cloud (he remembered that Alanna had told him that Zidane seemed interested in girls), and he said warningly: "Oh, don't ever ogle her, k? Get your mind off her quickly if I summon her again...force yourself to think of a job you really, really, hate."

"Why?"
"'Cause she hates it, okay? She might decide to ice your face and then laugh at you eventually, if she gets annoyed about it enough."

Zidane shuddered and said, "I gotcha."

It wasn't long after that until the water got hot enough to do the dishes in. Cloud dragged the kettle on the back porch. Cloud washed this time, Zidane rinsed. As they worked on this mundane task, Cloud thought: Looks like I managed to hit it off. He isn't a bad guy, really. Hope I can keep those bullies off him...but who knows the future? I guess only Nora knows. I hope he doesn't decide to run off...anyway, after this, I'd better see if he's got a practice weapon and ask if he wants to train a bit. You don't, you get rusty really fast. I still wonder though: why did Nora think I'd do for this? Zidane's a lot different than I was...

Go to Chapter 5?