Darkness Ascending
Part 3
Scales of Light and Dark
by:
Stephen Garrett Jr.
 

Prologue


     His feet pushed into the cold snow that blanketed the frozen north.  The purple cloak on his back did nothing to protect his skin from the harsh cold.  Still, he trudged onward in the snow, drawn by the promise that he would find the only one that mattered to him.  He had wasted the last of his magical power breaking the fabric of space and time itself to come to this place, and could not let that be in vain.  He had to find her.
     The cold air howled around him, giving him another cold chill.  His muscles demanded that he stop, but he did not.  To stop would mean to fall asleep, and to sleep was to invite death.  He could not die, not before finding her, the one so close to his heart.  He felt her presence, knew she was there, yet could not get to her.
     He yelled her name into the wind.
     "Schala!!!!!!!!!"
 

     The Eblana were eternal bounty hunters, ninjas trained to subdue prey and recover lost items.  Throughout the years, confrontations with their Wutai cousins and Shinra had made them weak in numbers, although their skill was still unmatched among ninjas.
     Save one.
     Cashaki Eblana saw her prey drop in front of her.  Cashaki raised her katana in a defensive position.  "I have been hired to bring you to my employer, for he wishes you to be in his possession," she informed her prey.
     Her prey smirked.  "No one can defeat me.  I'm the best ninja around!"
     "A proud boast, Yuffie Kisaragi.  Can you back it up?"  Cashaki Eblana surveyed the young daughter of the ruler of Wutai.  A green harness covered Yuffie's torso, revealing her shoulders and navel.  Yuffie's slim legs were visible up to the thigh, where her gray shorts hovered down to.  Short black hair matted the young ninja's head.  She is a braggart, and will be easy prey.
     Unfortunately for Cashaki, she was wrong.
     Yuffie's hand moved in a blur.  Cashaki was barely in time to deflect the shuriken flying for her throat.
     And that was when Yuffie striked.
     The Conformer in her hand, Yuffie flew forward.  The edge of the Conformer sliced into Cashaki's chest, drawing blood.  Had Yuffie been a few inches higher, Cashaki's throat would have been slit.  Cashaki brought her katana down, edging Yuffie's shoulder.  Yuffie's elbow came upward and slammed into Cashaki's chin, causing her head to fly up.  The Conformer again whizzed through Cashaki's flesh, this time striking home.  Cashaki was wide-eyed with terror when her hand went to her throat and felt blood gushing from her wound.  Air bubbles appeared in the red liquid as Cashaki tried to breathe, falling to the ground to die in a pool of her own blood.
     Yuffie stood over the dead Eblana, and smirked.
     That was when darkness stole her vision.
 

     Silas grunted as Schala deftly avoided his lunge, and pinned his lightsaber for the split-second that was required to put her palm forward.  Silas was knocked backward by an unseen force, flying a few feet before coming to a hard landing on the red sand of Cosmo Canyon.  Schala raised her purple lightsaber, and deactivated it.
     "Well done, Schala," Qui-Xi complimented her.  "You have done well."
     "Thank you, Master," she said to him, bowing.
     Silas got on his feet, rubbing his backside from where he had landed.  Qui-Xi turned to him, a mischievous glint in his eye that Silas thought out of place with the elder Jedi Master.  "Three duels, and three times she has defeated you, Silas."
     "I apologize, Master.  I should fight better."  Silas bowed, still not believing that Schala had consistantly defeated him with relative ease despite his longer training period.  Or as Barret would have put it, She kicked yo ass, boy!
     "You nearly got me in that second fight, Silas," Schala pointed out, trying to assauge Silas's pride.
     "Silas, there is no reason to apologize.  Schala's midichlorian count is far higher than your own, giving her a higher level of ability in the Force."  Qui-Xi handed Silas the lightsaber he had dropped upon being hit by Schala's Force telekinesis.  "You both still have much to learn.  Now go rest."
     "Yes, Master," they both answered.
     Qui-Xi watched them leave, and sat down to meditate.  It had been nine weeks since his arrival, and a month since New Mideel had fallen to the Imperium.  The Imperium's droid armies were still silent, having only launched a probing maneuver toward Junon.  Junon's defense capabilities had wiped out the Imperium attempt to weaken their defense, but that did not mean Karbov would not try again, particularly because of his undying devotion to acquring the Eye of Tathos, gateway to the Dark Nether and the one thing that could release the Dark One, Zeromus.  Qui-Xi also had to dwell with the fact that a Sith Lord was present, also looking for the Eye.  With two such powerful opponents hunting him and the Eye, Qui-Xi knew that every moment was precious.
     Qui-Xi.....
     A young female voice echoed in Qui-Xi's mind.  He looked around.  "Who is it?"
     Do not be afraid, Qui-Xi.
     Qui-Xi turned toward a wall, and saw an apparition of a young brown-haired woman, with a red and pink outfit.  He felt the Force eminate from the apparition.  "You are a projection from the Lifestream?"
     Yes.  A grave danger faces us all, Qui-Xi.  Balance has been lost.  The Scales of Light and Dark must be balanced.  That is my purpose.
     "How?"  Qui-Xi stood, surveying the innocent features of the spectre.  "How can I restore the balance?"
     You must find the Chamber of Light.  Have Tifa bring you to the Mako fountain in the mountains behind Nibelheim.  The clue you seek is there.
     Qui-Xi watched the spectre turn.  "What am I seeking?"
     You are seeking the opposite of Tathos, the spectre answered telepathically.  You are seeking the one thing that could mean life or death if the Dark One emerges from the Dark Nether.  You are seeking knowledge.
     "Yes, I understand.  Peace be with you."  Qui-Xi watched the spectre nod, and disappear.
 

     Silas sat down beside Schala, a fire warming them in the cool autumn night of the Canyon.  "You've been doing well these past few weeks, Schala."  Silas put an arm around her.
     "Thank you, Silas," she answered, staring at the stars.
     "Is something wrong, Schala?"  Silas put a hand on her shoulder.
     "I sometimes dream of what it would be like to return home," Schala answered, the stars twinkling in her purple eyes.  "To have all I that I had before."
     "But...."
     "But what?"
     "Don't kid me Schala."  Silas touched her chin.  "You didn't really like your home.  I can tell.  You like being here far more than you liked wherever you're from."
     Schala nodded, a small smile on her face.  "You're very observant, Silas.  If only you were that way with a lightsaber."
     "I'm learning."  He noticed a tear in her eye.  "That's not all, is it Schala?"
     "No, it's not."  Schala sniffed, more tears coming from her eyes.  "I gave in, Silas.  I gave in to the dark desires of another, and because of that, my home is gone, and a young boy your age gave his life to save myself and others.  His blood is on my hands.  I... I do not think I am worthy of the honor Qui-Xi and you have given me."
     "Schala..."  Silas wiped the tears from one of her cheeks.  "Sometimes things happen.  We can't avoid them.  We just have to hope something comes along so we can redeem the mistakes of the past."
     "And what about you, Silas?  What pain is in your heart?"  Schala put her hand on his shoulder.
     Silas sighed, the memory almost too painful for him to confront.  "A few years back, I knew a girl.  Her name was Isha.  I had a crush on that girl.  She was the first one I kissed."  Silas remembered the girl's mischievous smile, her glowing blue eyes.  He remembered the warmth of her lips when he kissed hers most of all.  "One day, we were messing around near the Mako reactor when I threw a rock into one of the exhaust valves for the reactor.  We tried to get it out, but....."  Silas began crying at the memory.  "The reactor melted down, destroying Gongaga and killing many of the townspeople, including many of the townspeople."
     "Including Isha," Schala finished for him.
     Silas nodded, his own tears mirroring Schala's.  "She jumped on me, bringing me to the ground just as the reactor exploded.  A... a piece of shrapnel impaled her in the heart...."  Silas closed his eyes, trying to clear the memory of Isha's dead body being on top of his own.  He remember putting his lips to her cold lips, trying to administer what he knew of CPR.  It was too late, for she was dead the minute her heart was destroyed by the shrapnel.  She had given her life for him.  "Everyone attributed the explosion to Shinra's sloppiness and lack of safety regs.  But I was the cause.  I killed all of those people."
    "Shh...."  Schala put her arms around the weeping Silas while she weeped at her own misdeeds.  They both sat their for a moment, hugging each other, trying to comfort each other and be comforted at the same time.
     Finally Silas stopped the hug.  He gazed into Schala's purple eyes, the pain in them reminding him of his own pain.  "I guess that's why I was so rebellious," he admitted.  "I wanted to have this image of me being a typical teenager.  But how can I be typical when I'm a mass murderer?"
     "Silas, don't do this to yourself."  Schala put a hand on the side of his head.  "It was an accident.  And you know that if a mere rock could cause such a catastrophe, something else could have."
     Silas breathed, almost unable to move his diaphragm because of the massive burden upon him.  "Schala, I've tried to rationalize it for years.  But whenever I think I've overcome it, I see Isha's face again....."
     "Just as I see Crono's face.  And Marle's.  And Lucca's...."  Schala wiped a tear from his eye, letting him do the same for her.  "I guess we both feel unworthy."
     "That I do."  Silas took a breath.  "Schala, forgive me."
     "Forgive you?  Forgive you for what?"
     "For this."  Silas put his lips to Schala's lips, kissing her.  He put his hands on her cheeks, drawing her closer.  He stopped for a moment.  "I wanted to kiss you."
     "That's nothing to be ashamed of, Silas," Schala said to him.  "Kiss me again."
     Silas put his lips back to her lips, putting his arms around her and holding her close.
     "Silas!  Schala!"
     Their kiss was interrupted by Qui-Xi's shout.  "Yes Master?"  Silas got to his feet when Qui-Xi emerged from his hut.
     "We leave for Nibelheim immediately.  Pack your things."
     "My things are packed, Master.  Everything I have is here," Schala pointed out.  Silas nodded in agreement, indicating the same was true for him.
     Qui-Xi seemed satisfied with their answer.  "Very good.  We must hurry.  I shall procure transportation for us."
 

     "You are lucky.  Cashaki was a very skilled Eblana."
     Yuffie opened her eyes.  A young male, appearing to be Wutai, hovered over her.  His dark eyes went well with the dark hair on his head, and his dark clothing.  "Who are you?!"
     "I am Kamashika, honored among Eblana."  Kamashika bowed deeply.  "I am honored to have rescued the famed Yuffie Kisaragi of the honored ruling house of Wutai."
     "Eblana?"  Yuffie narrowed her eyes, suspicious.  "Where have you brought me?"
     "We are approximentally ten kilometers from Eblani," Kamashika informed her.  "The Eblana will be searching for you."
     "Eblani?  So you actually rebuilt the city Shinra leveled?"  Yuffie crossed her arms.  "I'm impressed."
     "Yes, we did.  Now, I must ask why the daughter of Wutai's ruling family is not in her palace."
     Yuffie frowned.  "My father kicked me out again.  He's angry because I didn't recover any of the powerful Materia we used to beat Sephiroth.  Not my fault the Lifestream's weakness renders Materia useless!"
     "Ah.  Your father is foolish, for he has a very strong, beautiful daughter."
     Yuffie stared at him.  "Oh no, don't tell me you're one of those."
     "What?"
     "One of those guys who think they can charm over any woman they want.  Sorry Kama, but I'm not like that.  Now," she got off the sleeping bag he had placed her on, "I'm going to move on.  I'm hoping to sneak aboard a transport for the Nibelheim continent.  Maybe see if Cloud can still use a ninja of my skill to help keep bandits out of his hair."
     "I could use a ninja of your skill for a most dangerous yet rewarding mission."  Kamashika stood behind her.
     "Really?  How rewarding?!"
     Kamashika grinned, impressed by her greed.  "A convoy of traitorous Eblana will be leaving in four days for Midgar, to pledge their services to Karbov and the Neo Imperium.  I have been assured of great wealth if I destroy them for their treachery.  I would be willing to split the reward with you, if you will accompany me."
     Yuffie weighed her options for a few moments.  "You've got yourself a partner," she informed him with a wolfish smile.
     "Then let us be moving, for we shall have to be swift of foot to catch our enemy."
 

     Tifa was the first to see Qui-Xi ride up on a Chocobo, Schala and Silas riding their own.  "Qui-Xi, what...."
     "Tifa, I need you to take me to the Mako fountain in the mountains."
     "The Mako fountain?  Why?  It's probably dried up anyway."
     "Trust me."  Qui-Xi turned to Schala and Silas, who were dismounting.  "Stay here and safeguard the Eye of Tathos.  I shall endeavor to return as quickly as possible."
     "Yes Master."
     Qui-Xi nodded toward them, and waited for Tifa to mount one of the Chocobos they had left.  "Hu," he commanded the Chocobo, grabbing the reins and prodding it onward.   A small cloud of dust kicked up behind them as they moved on.
     Cloud emerged just in time to see Qui-Xi and Tifa ride off toward the mountain.  "Where are they going?"
     "I am unsure.  Qui-Xi wanted to go see a Mako fountain in the mountains."
     "Probably the only Mako fountain still going.  So, how's training Silas?"
     Silas blushed.  "Doing okay.  Although I've found I'm no longer top dog."  He glanced at Schala.  "She pastes me on all the combat testing."
     It was Schala's turn to blush.  "I've never been much of a warrior, but it appears that I am a rather good one," she admitted sheepishly.
     Cloud noticed the looks Schala and Silas were exchanging.  "Something going on between you two that I should know about?"
     "Nope.  Not at all."  Silas walked toward the house.  "I want to go rest.  Just spent over ten hours riding a damned bird all the way here."
     Cloud laughed.  "Yeah, those Chocobos can be a pain in the ass, can't they?  Come on in."
     Silas and Schala followed him into the house.
 

     He continued to trudge through the snow, though by now he was too weak from his exertions to go much farther.  He had to make it to shelter, or he would die, his search over before it had rightfully begun.
     Providence came to him.  Ahead, the opening of a cave loomed.  He gleefully picked up the pace, his previous lack of strength now being overridden by his discovery of shelter.  He slumped over at the opening to the cavern, needing to rest.  Now that he had stopped moving them, his leg muscles hurt more than they had before.  Their aching echoed through his body, drawing a groan.  He had at one time been powerful enough to not even require walking, but the push through the fabric of space and time had drained his energy away, like an overdrawn battery that could no longer be recharged.  He rested his head on the wall of the cavern, and shouted one word, not just through his vocal cords, but through his mind, in the hope that she could hear him.
     Schala!!!!!
 

     Janus.....
     Schala looked up from the table where she and Silas were sitting, her stomach tying up in knots.  Janus?  He's here?!
     "What is it, Schala?"
     "Janus.  He's here!"  Schala jumped out of her chair.  "I... I need to leave.  I have to go find him!"
     "Janus?!  Who's Janus?!"  Silas stood from his own chair.
     "He's my little brother," Schala explained, running outside to where the Aeris was berthed.  Cid and Cloud were standing near the boarding ladder.  "Cid!  Cid!"  She ran up to him, Silas still catching up.  "I need the Aeris!"
     "What for, girl?"  Cid turned from Cloud.
     Schala began climbing up the ladder.  "I need to find him!  We need to leave, now!"
     Cloud and Cid both turned to Silas, who shrugged.  "All the sudden she jumped out of her chair and began talking about finding her brother."
     "Her brother, eh?"  Cid began climbing up behind her.  "Then let's go!"
     "Cid, are you crazy?  We've got to keep the Aeris here to make sure Karbov doesn't try to come and take the Eye!"
     "I wouldn't worry about that, Cloud."  Silas opened the confines of his Jedi robe, revealing the purple stone known as the Eye of Tathos.  "Shall we be going?"
     Cloud stood for a minute.  "I guess it wouldn't hurt to find her brother.  Especially if Qui-Xi can train him too."  Cloud followed Silas up the ladder.  One minute later, the Aeris lifted off.
 

     "Where are these Eblana going to board a ship at, anyway?  My father wouldn't....."  Yuffie looked over to Kamashika, both riding Chocobos.
     Kamashika chuckled.  "Your father's power is weaker than you would believe.  The Imperium could easily overrun Wutai.  Perhaps it is an insult that they do not even attempt to try."
     "How do you know so much about the Imperium?"
     "I am fortunate to have contacts with the outside world.  The Imperium has overrun Kalm, Costa del Sol, and New Mideel.  Their hordes of robotic soldiers are now marching for New Corel, although Planitia's forces are making their advance through the Corel Mountains difficult."
     Yuffie thought for a moment, remembering her friends, and wondering how they were doing.  "Doesn't sound good."
     "No, it does not."  Kamashika looked up at the sun, which was starting to lower in the sky.  "Soon we shall need to stop and give our Chocobos rest.  We have made excellent headway today."
     "If you say so...."
 

     "Well, we're here."  Tifa got off her Chocobo, showing Qui-Xi the shining Mako fountain that she had found years before in the mountains behind Nibelheim.  "Why did you want to come here?"
     Qui-Xi got off his Chocobo, walking toward the trickle of shining liquid coming from the rock.  "I feel something.  Something more than mere Mako.  A great nexus in the Force is nearby."
     "What do you mean?  Could it be the old Mako rea...."
     Qui-Xi.
     Tifa's eyes widened.  "No, wait, that can't be...."
     Qui-Xi looked up from the fountain.  "I am here.  Tell me how to restore the balance."
     Search, Qui-Xi.  Find the Chamber, for it is near......
     "No, Aeris?!"  Tifa's head zipped around their surroundings.  "Aeris, are you here?!"
     Qui-Xi sat on the rock, and took a meditative position.  "Calm yourself, Tifa.  I must concentrate.  There is something here, that I know.  And I must find it, or all is lost."
 

     The Aeris settled down in the snow just outside the cave to the Forgotten City of the Ancients.  Schala was the first one to drop into the snow, even though she was only wearing sandals and the light robes.  Silas and Cloud followed her, both shivering in the cold.  "Schala, where are you going?"
     "I... I feel him ahead."  Schala turned to them.  "Go to the other end of this cave.  Make sure he doesn't come out that way."
     "Schala, I can't leave you here alone!"  Silas ran up to her, plodding through the thick snow.  "Let me come with you."
     "No.  I must find Janus alone.  I will be on the other side of the cavern with him, if I can find him."
     "Schala, please..."
     "Silas, you must trust me."  She put her hand on his face, and looked into his eyes.  "I will be okay."
     "Schala, don't do anything foolish.  If you need help...."
     "I can take care of myself, Silas."
     For a moment, the two kissed.  Schala ended the kiss, and walked toward the cavern.  Silas watched her disappear in the snow and darkness, and turned back to Cloud.  "Let's go to the other end," he said.
     Cloud nodded, and turned back to the Aeris.
 

     "Qui-Xi, what's this?"
     Qui-Xi stood from his meditative posture, watching Tifa examining a nearby wall in the ghetto of the Mako fountain.  "Have you found something?"
     Tifa pointed to a shining green Materia stone in the wall.  "I can't get it out.  It looks so... beautiful."
     Qui-Xi touched the stone.  Green light began pouring from it, illuminating the Mako fountain.  He withdrew his hand, and turned to the fountain.
     Shining Lifestream water flowed from the fountain, running along the edges of the cavern.  The green Materia stone fell out, prompting Qui-Xi to pick it up in his hand.  Much like the Eye of Tathos, it had a small culvert on one edge.
     A noise reached both their ears.  Qui-Xi and Tifa turned to watch one of the rock walls pulling away, and sliding to open the way to a rock path.  "Qui-Xi, how did you...."
     "I am unsure.  The stone seemed to react to my own essence."  Qui-Xi stepped into the rock path, followed by Tifa.  He walked down about three meters, and came into a chamber.  Tifa followed him, and gasped.  "A chamber of mirrors," Qui-Xi whispered.  He strode up to the mirror in front of them, seeing his reflection and the reflection of Tifa in it.
     Welcome.....
     "Who... Who was that?"
     Qui-Xi touched the mirror, seeming to touch his own hand.  Every Force sense in his mind went off, causing him to draw his lightsaber.  It flashed to life, barely able to deflect the downward strike of his reflection in time.  Green lightsaber clashed with green lightsaber for ten seconds as Qui-Xi fought off his own reflection's attack.  Finally the reflection disappeared.  Qui-Xi took a breath, and returned his lightsaber to his waist.
     Come forward, Qui-Xi Lao.....
     Qui-Xi stepped up to the mirror again.  "You are the spirit who guards this place?"
     I am KluYa, the essence of Light, guardian of the Chamber of Light.
     "I need your assistance, KluYa.  The balance has been disturbed."
     Yes, I have sensed it.  The Scales of Light and Dark must be returned to balance, for only then can the final confrontation truly begin......
 

     Schala's lightsaber flashed into existance, tearing through the small creature attacking the slumped form on the ground.  After that one motion, she put the lightsaber back, and ran up to the person on the ground.  "Janus?!"
     Janus's eyes looked up toward her, causing him to smile.  "Schala, I found you....."
     "Yes.  How... how did you find me?"
     "I learned how to push through the fabric of space and time, thanks to Jaspar.  But now that I have come here, I lack the energy to return.  I'm afraid I'm stuck here with you, sister."
     "Come, Janus.  I need to get you help."  She tried to pick him up, using the Force to bolster his weight on her shoulder.
     "Schala, there's something... different about you.  The aura you have, it's refined.  Focused."  He stumbled along beside her, using her for support.  "Pure."
     "I have learned new things since I came here, Janus.  I am being taught in the arts of the Jedi.  Instead of using Lavos, my power now uses an energy field known as the Force."  Schala laughed inwardly.  "But enough of me.  What happened to Zeal?  Did Crono's friends get out safely after I warped them out of the Ocean Palace?"
     Janus nodded.  "Yes.  They destroyed Dalton, found me, and we destroyed Lavos."
     "Lavos is destroyed?!"  Schala's heart skipped a beat.
     "Yes."
     The memory of a jade-eyed teenage girl returned to Schala.  "How did they take Crono's death?  The girl, Marle, was devastated, but I'm not sure how the others would have...."
     "Crono's alive, Schala."
     Schala stopped for a moment, staring at her brother wide-eyed.  "Alive?!  How?!"
     "Jaspar's Chrono Trigger.  I helped his friends use the Chrono Trigger to restore Crono to life."
     Schala felt tears of joy flow down her cheeks, a burden on her heart released.  "That is great news, Janus."
     "I knew it would make you hap....."
     Schala saw the expression of surprise on her brother's face.  "Janus, what is it?"  She looked forward, and froze.
     Before them, blocking the exit to the Forgotten City ahead, stood Darth Lyron.
 

     Yuffie sat beside Kamashika, eating a rice cake and not enjoying it.  "Where did you get this crap?"  She wrinkled her nose.
     "You do not like rice cakes?"
     "Normally I do, but this stuff tastes bland."
     "Yes, I do fear that being on the hunt makes them stale."  Kamashika took a bite.  "All Eblana have heard of you, Yuffie.  Tales of your adventures with the destroyers of Sephiroth are quite exciting."
     Yuffie blushed slightly.  "Yeah, I guess so.  Those were some fun times.  I hate it that I failed to get their Materia, though.  Not that it would have mattered."
     "I would have enjoyed fighting beside you."  Kamashika sat next to her.  "I hear that Tifa Lockhart is a very alluring woman."
     Yuffie's eyes burned with jealousy.  "If you say so," she grumbled.
     Kamashika laughed.  "Jealously, Yuffie?  How very interesting for a woman of noble birth!"
     Yuffie frowned.  "You make it sound like that makes me special.  I'm not special because I'm a Kisaragi, I'm special because I'm the best damned ninja around!"
     Kamashika laughed.  "Very true."
     "Stop patronizing me."
     He looked back at her.  "What makes you say that?"
     "You're patronizing me!  'Very true', Yuffie.  You're just saying that to make me feel good!"
     "You are absolutely correct."
     Yuffie growled at him, returning to eating her stale rice cake.
 

     "I want the Eye."
     Schala eased Janus to the floor, and took out her lightsaber.  "I don't have it."
     "It is near.  If you do not have it, then your friends do."  Lyron grinned wickedly.  "And you will have to pass through me to get to them."
     "I don't want to harm you."  Schala's finger ran over the switch to activate the lightsaber.  The purple energy blade shined in the partial darkness.
     "You are a fool, girl."  Lyron's own double-bladed lightsaber flashed into existance.  "And now, you shall die."
     Schala lunged forward, Lyron easily deflecting her attack with one of his lightsaber blades.  Schala rose her weapon in defense as Lyron attempted a hacking move, then somersaulted out of the way before Lyron could kick her.  She backed up toward the exit into the Forbidden City, Lyron following her.  His smile was evil as he slammed his lightsaber blades into her purple blade continuously, keeping her off balance and constantly threatening to overwhelm her.  Schala felt beads of sweat roll down her face as she was backed up ever farther away from Janus.
 

     Cloud climbed down from the Aeris, followed by Silas.  "Well, we're here at the Forgotten City," Cloud sighed, remembering the tragic events that had occured there over a year before.  Cloud walked down a path toward the city, followed by Silas.
     "Cloud, down!"
     Cloud fell to the ground, barely missing a burst of plasma bolts from a pair of heavy Imperium battle drones that emerged from the rock.  Silas activated his lightsaber, the blue beam whizzing through the air as he deflected the bolts back toward the drones that fired them.  Both drones were hit and badly damaged.  Cloud leapt to his feet, and ran Ultima Weapon into one of the drones.  Silas leapt over the other one, slicing it in half upon returning to the ground.  "How the hell did they get here?!"
     Silas pointed toward the city.  "Cloud, stay here.  I feel something up ahead.  Something dark.  It might be the Sith Lord who attacked Master Qui-Xi at New Mideel."
     "Schala will never see him coming."  Cloud surveyed the fallen drones.  "I'll get back to the Aeris, and get Cid and Reno.  You go try to find Schala."
     Silas nodded, and ran toward the city.
 

     "I am unfamiliar with the entire story of Zeromus."  Qui-Xi stood before the mirrors of the Chamber of Light.  "Can you explain it to me?"
     Behold......
     Qui-Xi recognized Coruscant's image in the mirrors in front of him.  Building after building began to fall.  Millennia ago, Zeromus was a Dark Jedi in your galaxy.  He leveled a quarter of the planet Coruscant before the Dark Side consumed him.  It destroyed his body, but left his spirit intact, a burning fire of hatred.  The image changed to show the planet they were in, with not one but two moons orbiting it.  Zeromus took over the body of Zemus, a Lunarian like I once was.  Zemus was fueled by the hatred of Zeromus, and plotted to destroy the inhabitants of this world so he could live there.  Using my son Golbez as a pawn, he seized the crystals that were once on this world, the anchor from which the Lunarian moon could remain in orbit.  Their power was used to awaken the Giant of Bab-il.  Again the image changed.  A large robotic creature was demolishing towns and villages, as well as returning fire coming from a large force of ancient tanks and airships.  While the tank armies of King Giott of the Dwarves and the mighty airship fleet of Baron fought to contain the Giant, the Heroes of Light entered the Giant and destroyed it utterly.  The Giant exploded.  The image changed to show the second moon again.  The Heroes of Light flew to the Lunarian moon with a spacecraft of my construction, and descended deep into the moon's core.  There, Cecil of Baron, my other son and the first of the Paladins, led the other Heroes to victory over Zemus, and then Zeromus.  Zeromus was not destroyed, however.  Instead, I used my power with the help of other beings beyond mortal comprehension to seal Zeromus away in the Dark Nether, preventing him from ever returning to this plane.  The view changed back to the world.  Two wizards were confronting each other, fighting with arcane power beyond the abilities of those present.  Sixty years later, a Mysidian black wizard, Tathos, tried to open a portal into the Dark Nether to obtain the power of Zeromus for himself.  He was stopped by the Elder of Mysidia, the black wizard Palom.  Before dying, Tathos enchanted a purple stone with an ancient sorcerer's spell.  It made the stone, which became the Eye of Tathos, indestructible.  The spell made the Eye of Tathos the door to the Dark Nether.  The Eye of Tathos appeared in the mirrors.
     Tifa shuddered.  "Meaning that if Karbov gets the Eye, we're all doomed."
     Wrong.  The Eye of Tathos is merely the door.  It is not the key.  The key to the Dark Nether is the blood of the Heroes of Light, or their descendants.  If their living blood makes contact with the Eye, it will open the way to the Dark Nether.
     "Great!"  Tifa was overjoyed.  "That means that Karbov can't...."
     "I do not believe Karbov, as obsessed as he is with the Eye, would be foolish enough to not know the entire legend."  Qui-Xi noticed Tifa's face fall.  "Can you tell me if there are any descendants to the Heroes?"
     There is one.  The mirrors showed a young black-haired woman with light skin.
     "Yuffie?!"  Tifa stared at the image.  "That's Yuffie!"
     Lord Kisaragi of Wutai married Kasami, an Eblana, the descendants of the ninjas of Eblan.  Yuffie, like her mother Kasami, is a descendant of not one but two Heroes: King Edge of Eblan and his wife, Rydia of Mist.  While their country fell apart millennia ago, those central to Eblan still remained together, becoming the Eblana as you know them.
     "But, wouldn't there be more descendants than just Yuffie?"  Tifa stared at the mirrors, seeming to think that she was also staring at KluYa.
     There once was.  The Clan of Mist within the Eblana were all descendants of Edge and Rydia, but outside of Kasami, they were exterminated by their fellow Eblana for joining forces with Shinra.  Now there is only Yuffie.
     "It would appear that we must safeguard both the girl and the Eye."  Qui-Xi turned back to the mirrors.  "If the seal is released, is there still any way we could defeat Zeromus?"
     To destroy him, you require the Eye of Palom, which is now in your hand.
     Tifa touched the green Materia stone in Qui-Xi's hand.  "That's the Eye of Palom?"
     Yes.  After defeating Tathos, Palom forged the Eye of Palom.  He knew that if Zeromus were ever released, it would be the only thing that could stop him.
     "How do we use this to destroy Zeromus?"
     One pure of spirit must sacrifice themself.  In death, their spirit's purity would be amplified by the Eye of Palom, destroying Zeromus.
     "So, to defeat Zeromus, someone has to die?"
     Yes.  That is the only way to destroy him.
     Tifa sighed.  "I'm going to go out to the Chocobos, Qui-Xi.  We need to get back before people start worrying."  She disappeared into the rock path back to the Mako fountain.
     Qui-Xi watched her go.  "There is no other way to stop Zeromus?"
     There is another possibility.  But it is not guaranteed....
 

     Silas first saw the distant flashes of lightsabers clashing when he got to the fork in the path leading to the internal area of the Forgotten City.  His lightsaber flashed into existance, and his run became a sprint.
     Just as he ran by one of the ancient huts, Schala and Lyron disappeared into an opening.  He resumed his run.  Upon reaching the opening, he stood and watched for a moment.  Schala's feet shuffled backward as she remained under attack from the Sith Lord, his double-bladed lightstaff striking her weapon blow by blow.  Silas raised his lightsaber to join the fray.
     That was when Lyron knocked her lightsaber out of the way, and extended his hand.  Schala was knocked backward by the full force of the Dark Side, flying through the air and landing on the edge of a crystal platform.  Her lightsaber flew out of her hand, landing several feet away.  Lyron leapt over to her, placing his foot on her chest before she could raise.  The edge of one of his lightsaber blades neared her throat.  He turned to Silas, the smile on his face oozing evil.  "Give me the Eye of Tathos, or she dies."
     Silas stopped, preparing to jump over and confront the Sith Lord himself.  But he stopped when Schala gasped, the very edge of Lyron's blade beginning to touch her skin, scorching it.  "Don't give him the Eye, Silas!  Don't!"
     "She will die if you do not, then I will kill you and attain it myself.  Deactivate your lightsaber now."
     Hoping to buy time, Silas turned off his lightsaber, and put the hilt on the ground.  "There.  Let her go!"
     "Give me the Eye."
     "Silas, don't!"  Schala let out a yelp as Lyron changed tactics.  He withdrew the lightsaber blade, and raised his hand.  His finger and thumb began closing.  Schala gasped for air, unable to breathe.
     "Don't!"  Silas took a step forward.
     "Give me the Eye, or watch her die," Lyron said, his red eyes burning with satisfaction.
     Silas shifted his gaze from Lyron's eyes to Schala.  Her face was losing it's color, a series of short choking sounds coming from her as her lungs struggled for air.  Her eyes turned to him, pleading to him.  Silas swallowed, unable to watch her die.  "Here!  Have the Eye!"  He brought the Eye of Tathos from his robe.
     Lyron's evil grin now showed satisfaction as well.  "Wise decision, boy."  He reached forth his hand.  The Eye flew from Silas's grasp to Lyron's.  "Now, if you do not wish the girl to die, you will join me as my apprentice."
     Schala continued gasping for air, summoning up the strength to shake her head.  Silas heard her panicked thoughts.  Don't do it, Silas!  Let me die!  Just don't.....
     "I will go with you."
     All three turned to watch Janus stumble through the opening.  He stood erect, even though it took most of his energy.  "Let my sister live, and I will become your apprentice."
     Lyron thought for a moment, sending this stranger's strength.  Seeing that he was already a part of the Dark Side, Lyron released his hold on Schala.  She gasped for air upon feeling her windpipe expand back to normal size.  "Very well."  He leapt high over Silas and Janus, landing near the opening.  "Come, Janus."
     Schala sat up.  "No, Janus, you can't!"
     Janus turned to her.  "For you, Schala, I will.  I fear that the next time we meet, one of us will die at the other's hand.  I pray you are strong enough when that time comes."  Janus wrapped his purple cloak around him, and followed Lyron out.
     Schala fell to her hands and knees, crying.  Silas jumped over to her, helping her to her feet.  "Schala, I....."
     "How could you?!"  She beat on his chest, the tears flowing.  "How could you let him take the Eye for my life?!  How could you?!"
     "I couldn't watch him kill....."
     "Why, Silas?!  Why did you let him win?!  I may have died, but you could still have escaped with the Eye!"
     "Schala, I...."  Silas swallowed.  "Schala, I love you."
     Schala began crying on his shoulder.  "Oh Silas....."
 

     "You did what?!"
     If looks could kill, Silas would have been a pile of ash.  Cloud, Cid, and Reno all glared at him.  "You gave that madman the Eye?!"
     "Thanks a lot, kid!  We're all f$(#ed now!"
     "Qui-Xi must've been crazy to even think of training you!"
     Silas endured their insults at first.  Trying to explain his action, he said, "I couldn't watch him kill Schala.  I love her!"
     "So?!"  Cloud walked toward him.  "You just doomed us all!  You know what he'll probably do with the Eye!  You should've just mailed the damned thing to Imperium Tower with a nice little bow tie on top and a message saying, 'To Emperor Karbov from the most stupid kid to ever walk the planet!!!!!'"
     "Cloud...."
     "And you think that it was worth it just to save Schala?!  If you're that in love with her, you might as well go to bed with her tonight, because by tomorrow, Karbov will have the eye, and will be opening up the Dark Nether to let Zeromus out!"
     "Now listen just a damned minute!"  Silas was now boiling with anger.  "You're right, I love Schala, and I let him have the Eye to save her!  And if you had been there, and it had been Tifa he was choking the life out of, you would have done the same, and you damn well know it!!!"
     Cloud went to counter, but stopped himself.  He's right.  I would have given that guy the Eye to save Tifa, because I love her just as much as he loves Schala.  Cloud thought about the wedding he and Tifa had planned.  He wanted to do it immediately, but agreed with her that it had to wait until the Imperium had been stopped.  Otherwise, they wouldn't want to have children raised in a world ruled by Karbov.
     Silas turned away, the bridge silent.  That silence was broken when the pilot said, "We're approaching Nibelheim."
     Cloud frowned.  "Land us.  We've got to tell Qui-Xi."
 

     Qui-Xi listened intently as Cloud and Silas recounted to him the battle.  "So you allowed Lyron to have the Eye?"
     Silas gulped.  "Yes, Master.  I am sorry."
     Qui-Xi turned from the window he was staring out of.  "You cannot change that which you have done.  For now, it does not matter."
     Cloud leapt out of his seat.  "What the hell do you mean by that?!  With the Eye, Karbov or Lyron could open the seal to the Dark Nether!"
     "Not without the girl you know as Yuffie."
     Qui-Xi noticed the three pairs of eyes staring at him.  "What does Yuffie have to do with the Eye?"
     "The Eye, Cloud, is not the key to the Dark Nether, merely the door.  Yuffie is the only known desendant of the Heroes of Light.  They will need to spill her blood on the Eye to open the door."
     "Then we've got to find Yuffie.  I'll have Cid go get Red and Vincent from New Corel."
     "And where would Barret be?"
     "He went off to Wutai to try to find Yuffie himself, to get her help."
     "He may be in danger."  Qui-Xi sat down.  "I recommend we rest tonight while the Aeris retrieves the others.  Beginning tomorrow, we must find Yuffie."
 

     Silas followed Schala into her room.  "Schala, I'm sorry if you're upset...."
     "No."  Schala crossed her arms, and sighed.  "I'm only upset about Janus.  What will that monster do to him?"
     "From the way it sounds, train him much like Qui-Xi is training us."  Silas turned her around, putting his hands on her shoulders.  "I'm only happy that you're still alive.  I don't know what losing you would have done to me."
     Schala tried to smile.  "It feels... good to be this important to you, Silas.  I only wish I had possessed the skill to prevent the entire situation from having happened.  If we had been back in Zeal, I could have defeated him."
     "But only with the power given to you by that being, Lavos.  Would it have worked, evil against evil?"
     Schala sighed.  "You're right, Silas."  Once again her memory turned to those she had left behind, and the knowledge that they had destroyed the vile creature and restored life to Crono helped heal the wound she had taken by falling to Lyron.  "Silas, what you said earlier, about loving me.  Is it the truth?"
     "Yes.  I love you."
     Another tear came to Schala's face, but this was borne of happiness instead of sorrow.  "I.. I love you too, Silas."
     Silas smiled.  He put his hands around her neck, and kissed her.
 

     Lyron walked into Karbov's throne room.  "Emperor, I see you are well."
     "Who is this individual you bring with you?!"  Karbov pointed to Janus, standing behind Lyron.
     "This is my new apprentice, Darth Magus.  I have a gift for you, Karbov."  Lyron reached into his robe, and withdrew the Eye of Tathos.
     Karbov stared at him wide-eyed.  "Give me the Eye," he rasped.
     Lyron nodded, and threw the purple stone at him.  Karbov grasped it.  "Yes," he murmured.  "The power of Zeromus will be mine!"  He looked back at Lyron.  "Whatever you wish will be yours, Lord Lyron."
     "I only wish the life of Qui-Xi Lao," Lyron answered.  "He will come for the Eye.  When he does, I shall destroy him.  And my apprentice shall destroy his students."  Lyron noticed the glare from Janus.
     "Very well."  Karbov pressed a button near his throne to speak to one of his aides.  "Have our Eblana agent check in.  Make sure he has the target girl and is ready to bring her to me!"
     "Yes, Emperor.  Long live the Imperium!"
 

     Yuffie pulled Conformer out and stuck it to the throat of the unknown person standing next to her.  "I don't think so," she said, rising to her feet.
     "Yeah, yo as quick as ever."
     "Barret?!"  Yuffie dropped Conformer to her side.  "What the hell are you doing here you big oaf?!"
     "What is it, Yuffie?"  Kamashika rose from his sleeping bag.  "Who is this man?"
     "This is Barret, one of my friends."  Yuffie smiled inwardly at the fact that the word "friend" was an overstatement.  "What are you doing here, Barret?"
     "Came to see if you'd be willin' to help us out at New Corel.  The Imperium's being held, but I don't know fo how long."
     "Nah.  Kamashika and I are off to go get some Eblana who are joining the Imperium."
     "Mind if I come along?  I wanna get my hands on any foo's who sign up with Karbov!"
     Yuffie shrugged.  "I guess, as long as you don't expect us to pay you."  She noticed Kamashika's change of expression, thinking he was worried about splitting his share again with Barret.
     "Nah.  So, let's get goin'."
     Yuffie frowned.  "Yeah, I guess.  Let's get going so we can catch up with the Eblana."
     Kamashika was also frowning.  "Yes, I agree.  Barret may ride on your Chocobo."  He went to work packing up his belongings.
     "What's wit him?"
     "He's probably afraid you'll claim his money," Yuffie answered.  "Still, that gun arm of your's will be useful, especially if they have more numbers than Kama thinks they do."
     Neither noticed Kamashika taking out a radio communicator, and whispering into it.  "We are approaching your position.  There is extra baggage, so I will need to eliminate it."
     "I hear you, Kamashika-sama.  Long live the Imperium."
     "Long live the Imperium."
 

     Yessssss.......
     The Dark One stopped pushing against the seal, knowing his time was coming at last.  He would soon be free, and his hatred would destroy all......
 

     "Come the time has," Yoda said to the other Controllers as they watched high in the atomsphere above Midgar.  "Fierce the battle will be."
     "The balance has been restored," Sisko agreed.
     "The clock points to the eleven," Kosh added.
     "We shall observe, as always," Valen stated.
     The leader spread his arms forth, bringing forth views of Qui-Xi at his meditations, Cloud and Tifa holding hands, Silas and Schala making love, Cid guiding the Aeris through the air, Vincent and Nanaki fighting Imperium drones, and Yuffie and Barret heading toward a trap they could not see.  "They are the only ones who can stop the Dark One.  It is on them that we rely."
     "May the Force be with them," Yoda said eloquently.