Darkness Ascending
Part 4
A Final Reckoning
by:
Stephen Garrett Jr.
 

Prologue


     Silas opened his eyes.  Daylight streamed into his room.  He tried to move, but was held down by Schala.  Her head rested on his shoulder, one of her hands on his right side.  He felt her bare back on his fingers, and moved his left hand up to go through her flowing purple hair.  "Schala, wake up."  He nudged her.
     Schala's eyes opened, the purple color shining in the light.  "Is it time?"
     Silas nodded.  "Yes, Schala, it's time."
     Schala sighed wearily.  "I don't want to get up, Silas.  I want to lay here for eternity."
     "So do I," he agreed with a laugh.  "But we have to.  If we don't find Yuffie, we're all doomed."
     "I know."  Schala smiled at him, pushing her lips to his.  The two lovers kissed for a few minutes.
     "Rise and shine kids!  Time to get up and face the music!!!!"
     "Cid!!!!"  Schala turned on her back, allowing Silas to sit up in the bed and confront the sandy-haired engineer/pilot standing in the doorway.  "Damn you Cid!"
     "Hey, watch your language Silas.  There's ladies present."  Cid winked.  "Although I'm sure you know that, since you two seem to have gotten pretty well acquainted!"
     Schala reached to the floor for her robe.  "He's trying to rattle you, Silas.  Ignore him."
     "With a mouth like his, that's a bit hard."
     "That was good," Cid bellowed.  "No wonder I like you, kid!"
     Silas went to get his robe, but stopped and looked at Cid.  "Cid, do you mind if we get dressed?"
     Cid laughed again and slammed the door.
 

     Qui-Xi stood outside the door, watching the sun rise over the nearby mountain peak.  Tifa walked up behind him.  "So, this is it, huh?"
     "Our actions today decide the fate of this world."  Qui-Xi stood still, even when Tifa put a hand on his shoulder.  "I hear that you shall be marrying Cloud soon?"
     Tifa blushed.  "Yes, we're going to be married.  If we win and survive, that is."
     "I wish you happiness for the future."
     "Qui-Xi, is something wrong?"
     "There is nothing wrong, Tifa.  However, I fear that I may not survive the coming battle."
     "Why, of course you're going to survive!"
     "Not if Darth Lyron has his way."  He turned to her.  "He will find me, Tifa.  And we will fight.  All I ask of you and your friends is that you safeguard Silas and Schala.  Let me face Lyron alone.  One way or the other, the Jedi will continue."
     Tifa nodded, understanding.  "You must feel terrible, having lost all your friends.  All the ones you knew and loved."  She looked in Qui-Xi's face.  "Qui-Xi, is that a tear?"
     "It may be.  But it is done.  The Force guided me here to stop Karbov, and I will do so or die in the attempt."
     Nanaki neared them.  "We are ready to go," he said, bowing his head in the presence of Qui-Xi as a gesture of respect.
     Qui-Xi bowed his head toward Nanaki, a similar gesture of respect.  "We shall go."'
 

     "Stop squirming, Barret!"
     Yuffie tried to hold the tired Chocobo steady.  "This thing can't support our weight with you constantly shifting position!"
     "Yeah, sorry for that."
     "We are near."  Kamashika stopped his Chocobo, and dismounted.  "We must continue on foot."
     Yuffie brought her Chocobo to a stop.  Barret got off first, checking the gun on his arm.  Yuffie dismounted, walking up to the edge of the hull they were on.  The climb down would be very steep, but it was not such that it would put them in a free fall that could lead to serious injury.  "Well, here we are.  What now, Kama?"  She walked up beside Barret, Kamashaki behind them.
     "There is only one thing I can do, Yuffie."
     And with that comment, Kamashaki thrust his katana into Barret.
     Barret looked down, his eyes wide when he saw the blood-stained tip of Kamashaki's katana coming out his chest.  The tip withdrew, and Barret fell to the ground.
     Yuffie turned, glaring at Kamashaki, who was now holding a plasma pistol to her.  "What the hell are you doing?!  I thought we were here to stop the renegade Eblana!"
     "Simple, Yuffie.  Those Eblana down there are defecting to the Imperium.  What I forgot to mention is that I'm one of them."  Kamashika's smile was vicious as an Imperium helicopter landed behind them.  Imperium drones came out and grabbed her.  Yuffie struggled against them as they dragged her into the chopper.  Kamashaki followed, taking one last look at Barret.  He smirked at the fallen hero of Corel and jumped into the chopper, which promptly took off.
 

     "Is that what I think it is?!"
     Silas pointed out the bridge window at a helicopter raising itself from the ground.  "That's an Imperium chopper!"
     "There is someone down there."  Qui-Xi turned to the pilot.  "Land."  With Cloud and Tifa following him, Qui-Xi walked to the lower deck and out the door to the outer platform.  The Aeris came to a landing on the soft Wutai grass.  Qui-Xi leapt to the ground, while Cloud and Tifa climbed down the ladder.  "Barret!"  Tifa ran up to their fallen friend.
     "Tifa," Barret grasped, his hand trying to hold the chest wound, although the entry wound was still pouring on the ground.
     "Barret, don't move.  You're badly injured."
     "Shoulda... known that guy.... was bad....."  Blood poured from his mouth, mingling with his beard.  "They got Yuffie.... gotta stop 'em...."
     Qui-Xi kneeled down beside Tifa, and shook his head.  "Your wound, I fear, is fatal," he informed Barret upon putting his hand on it.  "I'm sorry."
     Barret grabbed Tifa's arm.  "Gotta care for... Marlene.  Can't let those.... bastards.... hurt her."
     "Barret, I promise that I'll get the bastard who did this," Cloud vowed to him.
     "No...  Doesn't matter...."  Barret summoned his waning strength to speak again.  "Don't let Marlene.... get hurt.  It's up... to you...."  He fingered the ring on Tifa's finger.  "You two... raise Marlene.....  Tell her.... Tell her I... love... her....."  His last breath spent, Barret's head fell on the ground.
     Tifa lifted his head, crying.  "Oh Barret, why did they have to do this to you?"
     Cloud put a hand on her shoulder, leaning over and closing Barret's open eyes.  "Don't worry, friend.  Marlene is in good care."
     Tifa turned, and put her arms around Cloud.  "He's gone, Cloud.  After all we've been through, he's gone....."
     Cloud patted her head, remaining silent.
 

     "Barret is gone," Cloud said to the assembled heroes before him, New Corel growing smaller below him.  "Karbov has both Yuffie and the Eye."
     "Then, we're dead," Elena grumbled.
     "Not quite," Qui-Xi spoke up from his standard standing place at the cockpit window.  "We can reclaim the Eye and Yuffie."
     "By now they've taken them to Midgar.  The Tiny Bronco barely made it through the AAA nests.  They'll pick the Aeris apart!"
     Qui-Xi sighed.  "I did not say it would be easy.  One person must remain to pilot the ship.  The others will parachute onto Imperium Tower."
     "He's right," Tifa agreed.  "We have to do this."
     "There's a lot of risk involved," Vincent pointed out.
     "Anymore risk than when we descended into the Crater and duked it out with Sephiroth?"
     "I say go for it," Silas announced.
     "I'm with Silas."  Schala stood beside him.
     "The Aeris won't go down without a fight!"  Cid moved beside them.
     "Karbov will pay for what he has done," Nanaki agreed, taking his place with his friends.
     "Well, Cloud?"  Reno looked at Cloud, Cloud looking back.  "Do we have a green light?"
     Cloud surveyed everyone around him, seeing the grim expressions of determination.
     "Let's do it, Cloud," Tifa said to him, putting her arms around him.
     Cloud nodded.  "We're going in."
 

     "What are you doing, Lyron?!"
     Karbov was trembling with fury, Darth Lyron holding the Eye away from him and the bound Yuffie.  "Give me the Eye so I can open the seal!"
     "Not until Qui-Xi arrives.  Then you shall do as you wish."
     Karbov snarled at the Sith Lord, wishing his drones would act as more than mere target practice for Lyron.  "How do you know he will come?"
     "He will come."
     "Emperor!  Emperor!"  Karbov's aide busted in.  "There is an airship on approach!"
     Lyron smiled at Karbov.  "See?"
     Karbov snarled at Lyron again, and growled, "Scramble all aerofighters!  Prepare all AAA weapons!  I want them shot down!"
 

     The assembled heroes stood on the outer deck, waiting to jump.  Cid remained at the controls, guiding the Aeris through the energy bolts illuminating Midgar's skyscape.  "Okay guys, jump off..... now!"
     Silas was the first to leap off the outer deck, followed by everyone else.  One by one their parachutes deployed, converging upon Imperium Tower.
     Cid flashed them a thuimbs up, and put his hand on the switch to raise the deflectors.  He was thrown back by the shaking of the bridge.  An energy bolt had hit one of the Aeris's engines.  Cid got back to the controls, and tried to keep the ship aloft.  "Dammit, gotta keep this thing up!  Come on!"  The nose of the Aeris rose, barely missing the energy field around Midgar as it flew toward the ground.  "SHIIIIIIT!!!!!!"
     The Aeris plowed into the hard earth around Midgar, skidding nearly eight hundred years before coming to a stop.
 

     Silas landed behind the front guard of the Imperium Tower.  The parachute detached upon his landing, directing the attention of the guards.  Silas stuck his hand outward, sending an invisible wave through the Force.  The wave slammed into the guards, sending them through the air.
     Schala landed nearby, bringing out her lightsaber and slicing through two drones preparing to attack Silas.  Cloud hit ground next, taking cover while Schala and Silas dispatched the robot drones coming from Imperium Tower.  Tifa landed on top of a drone, tangling it up in her parachute.  Silas cut her free, and impaled the drone with his lightsaber.  "Watch where you land next time, okay Tifa?"
     "I will, although I hope we never do this again."
     Nanaki landed next, with Vincent and the Turks coming in last.  While Silas, Cloud, and Schala went in to clear out the opposition, Tifa asked Nanaki, "Where's Qui-Xi?"
     "I know he deployed," Nanaki growled.  "Tifa, behind you!"
     Tifa barely got out of way in time, a stream of yellow energy bolts flying by.  Nanaki howled, and leapt toward the drone, knocking it down before it could target him.  He used his teeth to rip out some loose wiring, causing the drone to short out.  "Thanks, Red," Tifa said, picking up the energy rifle the drone had been carrying.
     The Turks entered the building firing, providing fire support to Silas and Schala as they advancated toward the drones forming a defensive wall between them and the elevators.  "Karbov's probably in his throne room!"  Cloud ducked behind cover beside Tifa.  "We've got to get up there!"
     "Agh!!!!!"  Rude fell to the ground, his clothes charred by a direct hit from the drones.
     "Rude's down!"  Reno and Elena took cover, returning fire.
     Tifa handed Cloud a spare plasma rifle, and rolled out of her hiding place.  She wasn't a markswoman, but managed to down a drone before Silas and Schala got through and turned to the drones into so much spare parts.
     Elena leaned over, feeling Rude's pulse.  She looked up at Reno, and shook her head.  Reno frowned.  "It was nice knowing you, Rude."  Reno walked toward the elevator, and turned back to see the others.  "Well, what are you waiting for?!"
     "What about Rude?"  Tifa looked at the fallen Turk, one of her former enemies, and felt sorry that he had been the first to fall.
     "He knew the risks.  All Turks know the risks," Vincent reminded her.  "Let's keep going."
     Tifa kneeled beside Rude's body, and closed his eyes.  Sorry Rude.  You were always the nicest of the Turks.  I really wish you would have survived.
     Cloud's hand touched her shoulder.  "Gotta go, Tifa," he said to her.
     Tifa nodded, and stood up.  "Time to move."  Deep in her mind, Tifa wondered, Where is Qui-Xi?
 

     Qui-Xi guided himself downward with the Force, making sure to land on the roof of the Tower.  His feet hit the concrete with some force, but he held himself steady long enough to let the parachute detach from his back.
     Waiting for him was the black-cloaked figure of Darth Lyron.  "Welcome, Qui-Xi, to your final fate.  You will die now."
     "Wrong, Lyron.  One of us will die by the other's hand."  Qui-Xi's lightsaber flashed into existance.
     "You are a foolish Jedi, Qui-Xi.  You cannot defeat the power of the Dark Side."
     "Others have before."
     "Yes, but at great cost.  Such as your friend Qui-Gon, who fell to Lord Maul."
     "Remember that Obi-Wan defeated Darth Maul, Lyron."
     "True."  Lyron's red eyes blazed with fury.  "But you will not defeat me!"  One of his red lightsaber blades emerged from the hilt.  He attacked Lyron with all the fury of the Dark Side, his lightsaber clashing with the green of Qui-Xi's saber.  The buzz of lightsabers filled the air as their weapons collided again and again, the two circling around each other.  Lyron leapt over Qui-Xi, but the Jedi Knight was quick to whirl around and catch Lyron's roundhouse slash upon his landing.  Lyron thrust his lightsaber toward Qui-Xi, and when Qui-Xi deflected the attack, he kicked Qui-Xi in the ribs.  Qui-Xi fell backward, landing on his back.  Lyron ran forward to kill him, but Qui-Xi's lightsaber caught him at the last moment.  Qui-Xi kicked Lyron's midsection, sending the Sith Lord backward to give him a chance to get to his feet.  Qui-Xi barely had the time to get to his feet before Lyron attacked him again.
 

     "What are you going to do to me?!"
     Yuffie watched, helpless, as Karbov sharpened a knife in front of her.  "Simple, my dear."  His smile was wicked.  "I'm going to cut your heart out and drench your blood on the Eye of Tathos, giving me limitless power."  He cackled when he saw her swallow.  "You should feel honored, girl.  Your death will herald the beginning of the Age of Karbov.  I will rule all."
     "You're crazy!  Let me go!"
     Karbov laughed.  "Do not struggle, girl.  It will all be over soon."
     "Emperor Karbov!"  His aide ran into the room.  "There are intruders in the Tower!"
     Karbov cackled.  "Let them try to get here.  They will merely be wasting their lives!"
 

     The elevator stopped on the 59th floor of the Tower.  Schala and Silas emerged first, deflecting several bolts of energy with their lightsabers.  Six heavy drones confronted them, firing at the two Jedi students.  That was when Reno, Elena, Cloud, and Tifa came out of the other elevator, rifles blazing.  They mowed down four of the drones in one burst.  The remaining two turned to face the new threat, but were quickly cut down by Schala.  Reno withdrew a card from his pocket.  "Level 68 card here," he said, smirking.
     "Elena, behind you!"  Nanaki leapt into the air between Elena and a drone emerging from the staircase.  A bolt of energy seared his side.  Elena and Cloud opened fire, taking the drone down.
     Tifa kneeled beside the fallen Nanaki.  "Red, are you okay?"
     The wolf-like creature howled in misery.  "I.. guess... this is it."  His fur was scorched at the impact point of the bolt.  Tifa touched it, drawing a yelp from Nanaki.  "Leave me...."
     Elena walked over to Nanaki.  "You did that for me?"
     "Above all, I am a warrior, as my father Seto.  I have an obligation to my comrades."  The wolf-like being seemed to chuckle for a moment.  "Imagine me dying to save a Turk.  That I did not see coming."
     "You're not going to die, Red," Tifa said to him.  "Just stay here, and we'll be back for you."
     "Hurry, Tifa.  Please, do remember me.  Let it be written that I died here, and that I died saving a comrade."  Nanaki howled lowly, and was limp on the floor.  His tail, once in constant motion, was at last still.
     Tifa put her hand in his mane, a tear coming to her face.  "First Barret, now you."  Anger filled her heart.  "Damn you Karbov!  You're killing all of my friends!  I won't let you kill anymore!"
     "Tifa, if we stop for everyone who falls, Karbov will be eating cookies with Zeromus before we even get to Level 69.  Can we please go?"
     Tifa noticed Reno's glare.  "You're right.  We stop for nothing.  Not even death."
     "Now you're talking like a Turk."  Reno winked at her.
     "Tifa, I don't know if you should take that as a compliment or an insult," Cloud joked as they entered the elevator.
     "I'll take it as a compliment," Tifa answered.
     The door slid closed, and the glass elevator rose to the 68th floor.  A newly build entrance way opened the way for them to enter the floor.  Immediately Schala and Silas began deflecting incoming enemy fire.  Cloud and Reno began giving cover fire so Vincent, Elena, and Tifa could get by and make a sprint to the stairs for the 69th floor.  Schala sliced a pair of drones in two, and followed them.  "I'll cover you!"  Silas continued to deflect the drones' fire, giving Cloud and Reno time to get around the corner.  Silas backed up slowly, knocking back the bolts to those who fired them much as a baseball player would hit a ball back toward the pitcher.
     "Come on!"  Elena ran to the stairs.
     Immediately several rounds of machine gun fire ripped through her.  Two guards stood between them and the stairs.  Reno snarled, and fired at them, taking another down before he himself was gunned down by the last guard.  That guard was taken down by Cloud in turn.  Reno struggled to crawl over to Elena's limp form.  "Elena, you there?"  He put a hand on her neck, feeling for a pulse.  "Looks like the Turks are gone for good," he gasped upon realizing she was dead.  Looking at the five forms standing over him, he frowned.  "Well, what the hell are you waiting for?!  Don't stop for death, remember!  Get... your asses.... going....."  Reno's head fell limp.
     Cloud considered his old enemies for a moment.  A year ago I might have welcomed this moment.  Not today.  We'll have to make sure the Turks are remembered properly, if any of us get out of this alive.  "Come on."  He walked up the stairs, Tifa and Vincent following him.  Schala and Silas stood over the two dead bodies for a moment.  Silas kneeled down and closed both of the fallen Turks' eyes.  Silas led Schala up the stairs.  They emerged on the 69th floor, finding nothing.  Cloud looked around.  "I guess they don't have any security up here.  Easy going from here."
     They walked through the entry way to go up the stairs to Karbov's throne room, and stopped.  Schala and Silas walked out in front of them.  "Janus!"
     Janus stood before them, wearing his purple cloak around him.  "It shames me to see you again, Schala."  He took out an object, and activated a double-bladed lightstaff.  "Now I must kill you."
     "We'll handle this," Silas said to Cloud, who nodded and led Tifa and Vincent toward one of the stairs.
     Their lightsabers flashed into existance.  "Don't make us do this, Janus," Schala pleaded with her brother.  "Join us!"
     "I cannot, Schala.  I swore an oath upon my very soul to obey Lyron.  I am Janus no longer.  I am only Darth Magus."  He raised his lightstaff defensively.  "Let us end this."  When Schala did not attack, he lunged toward Silas.  This drew Schala into the battle, their blue and purple lightsabers clashing against Janus's two blades and causing small bursts of light in the process.
 

     Qui-Xi felt his strength waning while deflecting another onslaught of blows from Darth Lyron.  "Lyron, do not be a fool!  If Karbov unleashes Zeromus, we are all doomed!"
     "I am not.  You are, Qui-Xi."  Lyron pushed Qui-Xi back against the wall near the chopper pad, and tried to run him through.  Qui-Xi dodged Lyron's lunge, Lyron's lightsaber drilling into the wall.  Qui-Xi tried to bring his lightsaber down across Lyron's wrists, but Lyron deflected his maneuver.  Qui-Xi fell backward, trying to regain his posture, but Lyron did not allow him any reprieve, keeping up the pressure with attack after attack.  Lyron spun his lightsaber around, nearly succeeding in forcing Qui-Xi's lightsaber out of his grasp.  But Qui-Xi dodged quickly.  The green blade of his lightsaber slashed across Lyron's elbow, cutting into flesh and bone.  Lyron howled with pain and anger, and attacked Qui-Xi with even more force, drawing his strength from the Dark Side.  He forced Qui-Xi against the edge, laughing.  "It is over, Qui-Xi!"  He swung low, aiming to force Qui-Xi off the roof.
     Instead Qui-Xi leapt into the air, and landed behind Darth Lyron.  Lyron barely had time to turn before Qui-Xi sent his lightsaber through Lyron's side.  Lyron, his pain driving his hatred to newer heights, threw himself full force on Qui-Xi.  Qui-Xi fell back, allowing Lyron to batter him.  Lyron's lightsaber nicked Qui-Xi's wrist, drawing nothing but a short grunt from Qui-Xi.  Qui-Xi continued to fall backward, waiting for the moment to strike.
     Lyron swung high, aiming to decapitate Qui-Xi.  Qui-Xi, instead of blocking it, fell to his knees and rolled away from the out-of-control swipe.  He brought his lightsaber up through Lyron's rib cage, striking the killing blow.  Lyron glared at him, his red eyes aflame with hatred and anger, before stumbling backward and falling over the edge.  "Qui-Xi!!!!!!!!!!!"  His death howl echoed in Qui-Xi's mind as Lyron tumbled to his doom.
     Qui-Xi got on one knee, trying to regain his strength.
 

     Cloud busted into the throne room, using Ultima Weapon to absorb some of the Imperium's shots.  Vincent growled as his body morphed into Chaos.  Vincent/Chaos spread his mighty wings, and soared upward.  His claws ripped through three drones before the other drones took the time to shoot at him, forcing him to keep moving.
     Karbov growled at Cloud.  "You cannot stop me!  I will become all-powerful, and I will crush you like an ant!"  His smile was pure evil.  "But first, I shall make you watch as I cut the heart out of Yuffie, then your beloved Tifa!"
     Tifa raised her rifle.  "You're not hurting anyone, Karbov.  It's over!"
     Drones ran to Karbov's side, focusing their weapons on Tifa and Cloud.  "Correct, Tifa.  It is over.  You lose!"
 

     Silas slammed his palm in Janus's face, forcing him backward.  He thrust downward to hit Janus's wrists, but Janus brought one of his blades up to catch Silas's lightsaber in mid-slash.  He pushed Silas back, then turning his attention to his sister.  Schala held Janus back, holding her own against her brother.  Janus tried to force her back, but proved unable to overcome her.  Schala forced her brother backward, Silas scrambling to get his lightsaber, dangling from open window, and avoiding Janus's attacks at the same time.  "Stay out of this, Silas!  I must handle my own brother!"
     "But Schala...."
     "Go help the others!"  Schala felt her confidence grow as she slammed again and again against her brother's defenses.  She spun her lightsaber around, trying to find a way to destroy his weapon and get him to stop fighting her.
     Janus deflected a couple of blows, then surprised Schala by hitting her with a weak Force wave to the chest.  She stumbled back for a moment, stunned by the impact.
     "Schala!!!!!!"
     Schala felt the intense burn as her brother's lightstaff blade drilled through flesh and organic material on her side, just below her ribs.  She fell over, critically wounded.  Silas redoubled his efforts to recover his lightsaber when he saw Janus retract one of his lightsaber blades and stuck the active one to Schala's throat.  "I'm sorry, sister," he said to her, "but I must do this."  He prepared to drive the lightsaber into her heart.
     "Janus, please.  Don't do this.  I'll help you find a way out of whatever vow you made to that man.  I can save you."  Schala ignored her pain, pleading with Janus.  "Please...."
     He stopped for a minute.  "Yes, there is another way out," he agreed.  He put the inactive end to his stomach, and activated the blade.  The blade flashed into existance, burrowing through bone, flesh, and other tissues.  Janus gasped, turning off the lightsaber and falling to the floor.  Schala held his head in her arms.  "Don't cry for me, Schala," he gasped.  "This was the only way.  Lavos, he tainted me with hate.  Lyron knew how to use that hate.  You... you must stop Karbov.  Please, stop... him...."  Janus became limp in Schala's arms.
     "Janus, my little brother, not you too....."  She began weeping.
     Silas tried to help her to her feet, having secured his lightsaber to his waist.  "Come on, Schala. We've got to go help the others."
     Schala struggled to her feet, using Silas for support.  He helped her up the stairs, step by step, to Karbov's throne room.
     A standoff was present in the room.  Cloud, Vincent/Chaos, and Tifa stood to one side, Tifa's weapon trained on Karbov, and Karbov's drones stood on the other, their weapons trained on them.  Silas helped Schala to the floor, and brought his lightsaber in a defensive position.  Two drones began firing at him and Schala, their shots heading back in their direction from impacting with Silas's lightsaber.  One of the deflected bolts edged one of the ropes holding Yuffie down, turning a part of it to ash.  Yuffie's hand flew up, grabbing the hand Karbov was using to hold the knife.  Tifa opened fire on the remaining drones, Cloud getting in close with Ultima Weapon to hack and slash drones into as many parts as he could manage.  Vincent became his normal form again.  He evaded a pair of drones long enough to pick up a fallen rifle and fire on the drones.
     Yuffie pushed Karbov's hand back with her free right hand.  "Go... away!"
     "I will have your blood!  I will not be denied my true power!"  Karbov pushed down toward Yuffie with the knife, but was losing the battle to the stronger ninja.
     A stray blast from a pair of drones singed Yuffie's side.  For a crucial moment, Yuffie's strength waned, her howl filling the room.  Karbov seized the opportunity, driving the knife into Yuffie's heart.  Her eyes widened with pain combined with the realization that a fatal blow had been struck.
     "Stop him!  Cloud!"
     Cloud impaled a drone, and jumped toward Karbov.
     "Too late!," Karbov crowed, pushing the Eye of Tathos to Yuffie's gushing wound.  Her blood mingled with the purple stone as she took her last breath.
 

     Yes!!!!
     The Dark One felt the seal began to crack, and pushed himself against it with great fury.  His freedom was no longer a dream, but a reality.  He would destroy those who had opposed him.  His hatred would consume all.....
 

     The skies above Midgar darkened, a cyclone of lightning and dark clouds appearing above Imperium Tower.  The cyclone was immaterial, passing through the roof into Karbov's throne room, and circling around the Eye of Tathos.  The niche in the Eye glowed, and projected a black cone which stopped in mid-air.  Tifa held onto Cloud.  "We failed, Cloud.  He's coming through!"
     The five heroes watched with horror as a dark purple mist emerged from the rift.  A chilling laughter filled the air.  Karbov stretched his arms out, inviting the mist in.  It entered his chest, taking over his body, his spirit, his soul.  Karbov's eyes darkened, his skin crackling, his laughter burning into the souls of those around him.  "Yes," he hissed.  "I AM ZEROMUS!!!!!!!!!"  He stretched his hand out toward Cloud, and a sharp pike materialized from thin air, impaling Cloud and throwing him into the wall.
     "CLOUD!"  Tifa ran up to him, watching him bleed on the carpet.  "Cloud, are you okay?!"
     "He missed my vital organs, I think," Cloud gasped through the pain.
     "I SHALL DESTROY YOU ALL!!!  YOUR WORLD IS NOW MINE!!!!"  Zeromus waved his hand, ripping apart the human guards whom had been Karbov's attendants.
     "This world is not yours, Zeromus, and it shall never be."
     Zeromus turned and glared at Qui-Xi, who stood at the doorway to the roof.  Qui-Xi lifted the Eye of Palom.  As if repeating an incantation, Qui-Xi said, "I call to the spirits beyond to bring forth those who stopped you once, for they shall stop you again."  The Eye of Palom shined in Qui-Xi's grasp, illuminating holy power in such a radiance that Zeromus had to turn away.  Five beams flew from the Eye, forming humanoid bodies.  A strange epheral voice began intoning names:
     Cecil of Baron.....
     Rosa of Baron.....
     Kain of the Dragoons.....
     Edge of Eblan.....
     Rydia of Mist.....
     One by one the ancient Heroes of Light appeared.  Cecil was radiant in the Crystal armor that covered him, the shining steel that was Excalibur in his hand.  Rosa stood to one side of him, a quiver of arrows and a bow on her back, her body draped in mystical pink robes, and her blond hair caught up in a bun.  Rydia stood to his other side, green robes covering her, her green hair flowing down the back of her neck.  Edge was adorned in ninja garb, the Masamune and Murasame blades in each hand, his mouth and dark wolfish hair covered by a blue ninja face veil.  Kain's blond hair was visible through his Dragoon mask, the Holy spear in his hand.
     "YOU!!!!!!"  Zeromus stretched his hand forth, sending the same pikes toward them that had impaled Cloud.  Sensing the danger, the Heroes scattered, avoiding the attack.  Kain leapt high in the air, falling downward and sending the Holy spear into Zeromus's arm.  Cecil and Edge charged forward, hacking away at his humanoid form.  Qui-Xi's lightsaber flashed into existance, the green energy blade joining the weapons of Cecil and Edge in damaging Zeromus's humanoid form.  All three were thrown away by Zeromus, who began repairing his humanoid form.  Rydia forestalled that by sending a wave of incredible heat into the body, melting away portions of skin and tissue and leaving charred bone.  "YOU WILL NOT DEFEAT ME AGAIN!!!!"  Zeromus abandoned Karbov's mutilated body, becoming again the dark mist.
     Rosa and Rydia concentrated, each sending beams of magical power into Zeromus.  The ferocity of Rydia's strength damaged Zeromus, and Rosa's purity burned away at his being.  The other fighters fell back.  "Our swords have no effect on him!"
     "We'll have to think of something, Cec....."  Edge and Cecil were blown away by a blast from Zeromus.
     "YOU, JEDI, SHALL PAY FOR WHAT YOU ANCESTORS DID TO ME!!!!!"  The mist turned toward Qui-Xi, buffeting him with the pure arcane power of the Dark Side.  Qui-Xi flew backward, slamming into a wall and barely retaining consciousness.  Rydia and Rosa rushed to his defense, trying to hold Zeromus back with their own magical abilities.  Zeromus knocked them aside like dolls.  Vincent tried to stop Zeromus, and was slammed aside.
     Schala watched the struggle with the dark being, wanting desperately to rejoin the fight.  Her body protested with pain as she shifted weight to stand.  Her eyes turned to Tifa, who was prodding the dying Cloud, tears streaming down her face.  For a moment, Schala's mind substituted Marle for Tifa and Crono for Cloud.  No, not again, I will not stand aside again!  She staggered over to the fallen Eye of Palom, Zeromus occupied in knocking Kain and Cecil around.  She picked up the Eye, and turned to Zeromus.  "I will not let you harm anymore of my friends, Zeromus."
     "HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!  CAN YOU STOP ME, PRINCESS OF ZEAL?!"  The dark mist of Zeromus seemed to take pleasure in knowing her identity.  "YES, I KNOW WHO YOU ARE.  YOU ALLOWED YOUR MOTHER TO DESTROY YOUR ENTIRE RACE FOR LAVOS, YOU PATHETIC WEAKLING!  YOUR SHAME PREVENTS YOU FROM DESTROYING ME!!!!"
     "Wrong, Dark One, my shame makes me destroy you," Schala corrected him.  She turned to Qui-Xi, nodding.  I'm sorry, Master Qui-Xi, for sneaking into your mind and finding out about this, she apologized telepathically.  "You are through," she informed Zeromus.  Schala took in a breath, and felt her spirit pour into the Eye.  Her body protested losing the spark of life, but life no longer mattered to Schala.  When her body was drained of her spirit, it fell limp to the floor.  The Eye of Palom remained airborne, a brilliant green light eminating from it and attacking Zeromus.  The light burned through his mist form, causing him to emit a howl that pierced the souls of all present.  The purity of the energy burned away at Zeromus's very being, the spiritual equivalent to being burned at the stake.  The mist that had been Zeromus disappeared, as if his form had been disintegrated.
     Rosa kneeled beside Cloud and Tifa.  "You are hurt?"
     Cloud nodded slowly.  "Yeah, I'd say so...."
     Rosa's hands glowed as a beam of white energy came from her torso and into Cloud's.  Cloud's wound healed completely, the pike that had hit him gone.  "That was amazing!"  Tifa stared at Rosa.  "And you're not even using Materia!"
     Qui-Xi rubbed his back as he stood, Cecil and Kain standing around him.  "It appears the Light was correct.  The Eye of Palom did have the power to summon you back to the mortal plane."
     "You fought well, stranger.  I take it you are a Paladin?", Cecil asked.
     "I am Qui-Xi Lao, Jedi Knight.  I believe it would be a rough equivalent to a Paladin."  Qui-Xi extended a hand.  "An honor to meet you, Cecil of Baron."
     "I believe the honor is all mine."
     Over the battle is.  Victors you are.
     Three forms coalesced in the thone room of the late Emperor Karbov.  Each wore a cloak that covered their forms, hiding every part of their bodies save their facial features.  The one ahead of the other two spoke.  "You have done well, all of you.  You finally destroyed the Dark One, ending his evil existance."
     Tifa felt a tear come to her eye upon the memory of all their friends who had fallen.  "A lot of people died to bring us this victory."
     "Heavy the cost was, child.  Deny that none can.  However, it was necessary."
     "Who are you?"  Cloud approached them, Cecil and Qui-Xi behind him.
     "We are the Controllers, the guardians of time and space, of reality itself."  Qui-Xi thought he saw a twinkle in the eye of the leader upon seeing Cecil.  "Our order watches over the mortal plane.  It was we who helped KluYa seal away the Dark One in the Dark Nether.  It was we who sent the spirit of Aeris Gainsborough to re-establish the balance, by revealing to you the Eye of Palom."
     "Why didn't you help in the fight?!"  Tifa glared at the three figures.  "Then no one would have died!"
     "It is not our place to interfere," a deep, bass voice said, coming from the taller figure behind the leader.
     "Interfere we cannot.  Only help maintain balance.  Decide you whether light or dark emerges the victor."
     Qui-Xi's eye twitched upon hearing the smaller figure speak.  "Master Yoda?"
     "Once was I Master Yoda of the Jedi.  Millennia have passed for me, Master Qui-Xi."
     Qui-Xi bowed his head in respect.  "Yes, Master."
     "What is this place?"  Rydia looked around the throne room, then picked up one of the fallen energy rifles.  "What are these things?"
     "It is over 10 millennia since you walked this planet, Rydia of Mist," the deep-voiced one said to her.  "Your world is not the same as it once was."
     Cloud sighed upon turning his view to the dead body of Yuffie.  "And I'm sorry to say that she was the last of your descendants."
     "Wrong you are, boy," Yoda disagreed.
     "There is another," the deep voiced one added.
     "Really?"  Tifa seemed to perk up upon hearing that.
     "The boy you call Silas.  He is the last descendant of Cecil and Rosa," the leader informed them.
     "Silas, did you hear that?  Silas?!"  Cloud turned to find Silas.
     Having been virtually ignored, Silas was holding Schala's lifeless body, weeping.  Qui-Xi walked over to comfort his student.  "Silas, I am sorry."  Qui-Xi felt his heart sink seeing Schala's closed eyes, the life having fled from her body.  She sacrificed herself to save others.  She has atoned for whatever mistakes she made in the past.
     Silas had one hand in her purple hair, the other touching her cold cheek.  "I... I loved her.....  Why does this have to happen to me?!"  He turned to Rosa, frantic.  "You healed Cloud's wound!  Why can't you bring her back?!"
     Rosa shook her head, a couple of tears in her eyes.  "I am sorry, Silas.  No white magic could ever bring her back."
     Silas turned away, holding Schala even closer and crying.
     "Is there a way to bring the girl back?"  Cecil turned to the Controllers.
     Yoda looked at the leader, who nodded.  "Exist a way does," Yoda conceded.  "Heavy the price is for it to work."
     "What price?", Kain asked.
     "Your lives," the leader answered.  "If you five Heroes agree to leave the mortal plane, the Eye of Palom can restore her to life."
     "So, for her to live, we must die," Rydia said.
     "Correct," the third Controller responded.
     Rosa and Cecil took one glance at Silas, the last of their line.  "This world is not ours," Cecil finally said to his friends.  "It belongs to them," he pointed at Cloud and Tifa.  "We have no place here."
     "I agree, my love."
     "I'm with Rosa.  Right Edge?"
     "Yes, Rydia."
     Kain nodded in agreement.  "Our work is done.  We shall leave this mortal plane."
     Cecil took out the shining blade that was Excalibur.  "I took this with me because I felt no other man, Paladin or normal Knight, had the right to wield it."  He handed the sword to Cloud.  "You deserve to have Excalibur, Cloud Strife.  Wield it knowing that you are, at heart, a Paladin like I was."
     "I'm grateful," Cloud answered, his heart throbbing as he took the mystic blade from Cecil.
     "Silas, I'm counting on you to marry this girl and continue our line," Cecil said to the teary-eyed teenager.  "Are you up to it?"
     "With all my heart and soul," Silas answered.  "I just want her back."
     Rosa winked at Cecil.  "He reminds me of you, Cecil."
     "If he's your descendant, he should remind both of you of each other," Edge pointed out with a smile.  He took Rydia's hand.  "May I, my lady?"
     "Yes, you may, my King," Rydia answered, kissing Edge on the cheek.
     "Farewell.  Our world is in good hands with you," Cecil said to the others.  The five Heroes surrounded the Eye of Palom.  Each closed their eyes, and changed into pillars of shining light.  The light entered the Eye of Palom, causing it to glow once more.  A green beam of light touched Schala's body.  After five seconds or so, she began breathing again.  The light ceased.
     "Schala?"  Silas touched his lips against her's.  The two kissed for a moment.  "Schala, you're awake?"
     Her eyes opened, shining with their normal purple color.  "Silas," she said softly, smiling.
     "You're back!"  Silas kissed her again.  "Thank whatever gods exist, you're back!"  He picked Schala up in his arms and stood.  The others applauded.
     "We all must thank you, Schala," Qui-Xi said to her.
     "I'm honored to be your student, Master Qui-Xi."
     "It is I who am honored to be your teacher, Schala.  You and Silas are both worthy Jedi Knights.  With your help, the Jedi will once again stand for peace and justice."
     Cloud surveyed their surroundings, then noticed Vincent holding the Eye of Tathos.  "What are you going to do with that, Vincent?"
     Vincent threw it in the air, and vaporized the Eye with an energy rifle.  "No more Dark Nether," he answered, surprising Tifa and Cloud with the hint of emotion in his tone.
     Qui-Xi picked up the Eye of Palom, which no longer glowed.  "It seems, Vincent, that destroying the Eye of Tathos has also served to nullify the Eye of Palom as well."
     "Balance," Tifa realized aloud.  "They're still keeping balance."
     "Correct, Tifa."  Qui-Xi started for the stairs.  "Now, let us leave this place and mourn our dead."
     "And get married," Cloud reminded Tifa and Qui-Xi.
     "And that," Qui-Xi answered, a twinkle in his eye upon seeing Cloud and Tifa kiss.
 

     Midgar was alive with celebration as President Reeves stepped off his helicopter.  Around them, the re-programmed peacekeeping robot drones of the Imperium stood at attention around Reeves.  He walked up toward Qui-Xi and the others.  "You have saved us all from the Imperium, and whatever evil Karbov was going to unleash upon us."  He bowed to Qui-Xi.  "I thank you, Qui-Xi Lao, for helping us."
     "I thank you, President Reeves, for ensuring that our future will be bright," Qui-Xi answered, bowing in return.
     Reeves turned to Cloud.  "I'm sorry about the others," he said.  "They will be remembered for their sacrifices."
     "Even the Turks?"
     Reeves winked at Tifa, smiling.  "Even the Turks."  Reeves thought about continuing onward when he stopped.  "I forgot to mention that patrols found the Aeris.  We're towing her over to Junon for emergency repair.  She'll be as good as new."
     Cloud's heart was full of dread anticipating the answer to his next question.  "How's Cid?"
     Reeves frowned, seeming to verify Cloud's worst fears.  "The good news is that Cid is alive.  The bad news is that he won't walk the rest of his life, according to my doctors."
     "Poor Cid," Tifa moaned.
     "Give him a wheelchair and the Aeris, and I'm sure he'll be all right," Vincent said, dismissing their worry.
     "Anyway," Reeves continued, smiling again, "let's celebrate!  The last vestiges of Shinra are gone, and now Midgar can truly breathe free.  And...."  He winked at Cloud and Tifa.  "I've heard there's going to be a marriage soon."
     "Two marriages," Silas corrected Reeves, holding Schala's arm.  "Schala and I are getting married too."
     "This will make a great main event for the festivities," Reeves said, delighted.  "The heroes of Planitia getting married."
     "Yeah, too bad you weren't there, Cait Sith," Tifa said in return, winking back at him.
     "Ha!"  Reeves put his arms around Tifa and Cloud.  "Let's go celebrate this great day!"
 

     The celebrations filling the streets of Midgar focused around the cathedral in Sector 2.  Outside, throngs of Midgar's citizens waited for the happy couples to emerge.  When the door flew open, they cheered.  Cloud and Tifa walked out hand-in-hand, Tifa clad in a radiant white wedding gown, while Cloud was in an uncharacteristic tuxedo.  Behind them, Silas carried Schala out, both of them laughing as they were rained upon by confetti and rice from overjoyous Midgarians.  Rolling up behind them was Cid in his wheelchair, waving goodbye and yelling comments to them that would not be suitable for the younger members of the crowd.  Both couples got in a helicopter bound for New Mideel via Junon, the words "Just Married" painted on the back windows.  The helicopters lifted off, Schala and Tifa hurling their boquets into the crowd.
     Qui-Xi watched from a nearby rooftop, smiling.  He felt a presence behind him, and turned.
     The blue specters he had known for years stood behind him.  "Master Qui-Gon, Master Windu," he said in respect to the two Jedi Masters who had passed before him.  "I see you have followed me to this place."
     "Know this, Qui-Xi," Mace said to his former apprentice.  "Your father would be proud of you."
     "You are the rock that the Jedi will be rebuilt on," Qui-Gon added.  "I wish you luck, Qui-Xi."
     "I thank you, my friends," Qui-Xi answered, bowing to his former teachers.
     "Now go, and enjoy yourself Qui-Xi."  Mace Windu smiled at him, and along with Qui-Gon Jinn, disappeared.
     Qui-Xi turned back toward the crowd assembled below, and for the first time since arriving on Planitia, felt like he had come home.
 


Epilogue
Thirty-Five Years Later


     Silas felt the wind whip through his graying hair as he, his wife Schala, and the others waited at the New Coruscant Spaceport.  New Coruscant, once Midgar, was the capitol of the Planitia Star Republic, which now spanned two hundred worlds and six alien races.  It had been ten years after the Imperium War that scientists finally unlocked the key to interstellar travel, with the assistance of schematics and computer files from Qui-Xi Lao's Lightrunner and the recovered ship of Darth Lyron.  The result was a watered-down version of hyperdrive.
     Silas thought about his late teacher, and smiled despite the tear in his eye.  Qui-Xi practically beamed the day the Planitia Star Republic was formed, as it was formed on the same basis that the Galactic Republic had been united.  He took great pride in that, and the few hundred Jedi that now existed were once again acting as the guardians of peace and justice in their corner of the galaxy.
     Before them, a ship much like the Lightrunner landed at the spaceport.  Unlike the Lightrunner's clean hull, it's hull was scorched and dirty.  The ship looked rugged, like a ship that had seen many battles.
     Three individuals descended from the ramp leading into the ship.  One was a blond-haired human of at least thirty, wearing the garb of a Jedi, a woman with buns in her dark brown hair seeming to be of similar age as the Jedi, and a dark-haired male with a blaster pistol at his side and rugged demeanor.  The woman stepped forward, smiled, and said, "I am Princess Leia Organa-Solo of the New Galactic Republic."
     Silas looked to his side, and saw Tifa step forward.  The years had been kind to her.  Despite some wisps of gray hair and a few wrinkles, she looked as young and energetic as ever.  Silas knew the pain in her heart at Cloud's passing five years before, but he had left her with four children, plus their adopted daughter Marlene, and that counted for something.  "I am Supreme Chancellor Tifa Lockhart-Strife of the Planitia Star Republic.  I welcome you to New Coruscant."  The glint in her brown eyes, the expression on her wizened face, all seemed to project her intelligence.
     The blond-haired man stepped forward, and bowed to Silas and Schala.  He introduced himself.  "I am Luke Skywalker."
     "I am Silas Torson, and this is my wife Schala," Silas answered.  "I see you are a Jedi Knight."
     "Yes.  May I ask how you learned how to be Jedi?"
     "Master Qui-Xi Lao came to us thirty five years ago, and taught us in the ways of the Jedi," Schala answered.  "Now we carry on in his absence, leading the Jedi of this galaxy much as the original Jedi of your galaxy were led."
     "I am honored to hear that you have carried on the Jedi traditions.  I am afraid Emperor Palpatine was not so kind to our own galaxy.  The New Republic is still struggling to reform the Jedi."
     "We shall be pleased to send some of our own Jedi to help you," Silas offered.
     "Once again, I am honored," Luke answered.
     "Come, Luke.  I shall introduce you to our eldest son and his wife."  Silas brought Luke over to a man about his age, with dark brown hair and purple eyes like Schala's, and a woman a few years older, with brown hair and dark brown eyes.  "This is Janus Torson, and his wife Marlene Torson-Wallace.  They are both Jedi as we are."  The three exchanged handshakes and pleasantries.
     Tifa and Leia walked over.  "Let's go into the Republic Tower for dinner.  We shall tell you all you wish to know of the history of our Star Republic."
     Both groups of heroes, from different galaxies but bound by their Jedi roots, walked into the tower that had been the battlefield against Zeromus.  Watching over them were the Controllers, joined by the spirits of Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, and Qui-Xi Lao.  "You did well, Qui-Xi," Obi-Wan congratulated his fellow spirit.
     "Thank you, Obi-Wan."  Qui-Xi turned to the lead Controller.  "The balance is still in place, Golbez.  You were correct."
     Golbez smiled beneath his hood.  "Yes, Qui-Xi, I know."
 


The End