Darkness Ascending
Part 2
Currents of the Force
by:
Stephen Garrett Jr.
 

Prologue


     Schala felt the warm sun beat on her as she ventured outside of Santo's house for the first time.  She felt out of dress in the blue swimsuit that hugged her form, wishing she could again feel the soft fabric of her clothing from Zeal.  Her thoughts went to her homeland, and a tear came to her face.  Janus.....
     "Okay, girl," Santos followed her, with his two sons Kai and Victor, "the doctor wants you to be up and workin'.  And watching these two rascals," his hand scrubbed the brown and blond hair of his respective sons, "will take all the energy you've got.  Now you two be nice to Miss Schala, or you won't sit for a week when I'm through with you, got it?"  The two boys nodded.  "Good.  Now go out and have a blast!"
     "Yay!"
     "Yippie!"
     The two boys, both under the age of 10, ran by Schala and leapt into the turquoise Mideel water, the cool ocean water splashing Schala's bare legs.  Santos winked at her, then yelled to his sons, "Make sure not to splash her too much, boys!  Remember what happened to your last sitter!"
     Kai and Victor nodded, and proceeded to splash each other instead.
     Schala followed them deeper into the water, smiling as she watched the two boys play.  They reminded her of some of the children from the Earthbound village that she used to play with.
     Once again, her heart ached as she thought of the destruction that Lavos had undoubtedly wrecked upon the people of Zeal and the Earthbound Ones.  Perhaps her people deserved it for their own arrogance and folly, but the Earthbound Ones were innocent.  The thought that her former subjects were suffering and dying while she was enjoying a warm paradise brought a greater burden upon her heart.
     Her ache was washed away by an out-of-control splash by the blond-haired Kai.  He smiled wickedly as he splashed both her and Victor.  Schala laughed, and splashed him back.  All three were giggling while deluging each other with waves of water.
     Santos watched, and found himself smiling.  At least the girl's finally smiling and having fun.  Santos' attention was diverted by his shipmates untying his fishing boat.  Santos walked into the cabin, and pushed the throttle lever, leaving foaming white froth in his wake.  He stole one last glimpse of the three playing in the water before guiding his boat out to the rich fishing areas of Mideel's coastal waters.
 

     "Concentrate, Silas.  Feel the Force flowing through you, giving you the strength and will to hold the rocks above the ground."
     Qui-Xi observed Silas in a heatstand, levitating three rocks with the Force.  Beads of sweat dripped down Silas's face, touching the sand of Cosmo Canyon below.  "Yes.... Master....."  Silas closed his eyes, trying to maintain his concentration.
     "How's he doing, Qui-Xi?"
     Silas gasped, and fell over on his back, the rocks falling to the ground around him.  He looked up and saw Tifa's face.  "Unnh....."
     Qui-Xi sighed.  "He is a good student, but he lacks focus.  I was hoping that training him here, at the Canyon, would remove him from all possible distractions.  It appears I was wrong."
     "I'm sorry if I interrupted you," Tifa apologized.  "But Cloud wants to know if you'll return to Nibelheim soon."
     "We shall return shortly."  Qui-Xi helped Silas to his feet.  "Silas, you may go rest for the next hour."
     Silas nodded, and after taking a quick glance at Tifa, jogged back to the town.
     Qui-Xi sat on the ground, Tifa sitting beside him.  She asked, "Have you been doing anything besides training Silas?"
     "I have studied the collected data from the late Bugenhagen."  Qui-Xi looked into the sky.  "I am more convinced then ever that your planet's Lifestream is an extension of the Force."
     "I suppose you've heard the news?  About the Imperium?"
     Qui-Xi sighed, and nodded.  "They have seized Costa del Sol, and are also advancing north, toward the Crater.  I am afraid that your forces are no match for them.  Not without help."
     "Barret's gone back to New Corel.  That's the next place that the Imperium will strike."
     "I am not so sure," Qui-Xi disagreed.  "Taking Costa del Sol was foolish for the Imperium.  It would have been wiser to consolidate their holdings on the northern end of the Midgar continent first."
     "Karbov is a madman.  Besides, taking Costa del Sol gives them a foothold on this continent.  Karbov must know we have the Eye in Nibelheim."
     "I'm sure he does.  Which makes me wonder."  Qui-Xi stood.  "Would it not have been easier to crush Wutai and move directly against Nibelheim?"
     "The Wutai are not pushovers, Qui-Xi.  It took a few years for Shinra to subjugate them, even with superior numbers and technology."  Tifa sighed.  "But you're right.  The only question is, what are they up to?"
 

     "This is madness!"  Varlon Tetso, High Admiral of the Neo Imperium Fleet, stood before Karbov in his throne room, Karbov's generals around him and the mysterious Darth Lryon at Karbov's side, his arms crossed.  "Costa del Sol and New Mideel are nothing!  We have squandered our resources in this pitiful excuse for a military action!"
     "Silence, High Admiral," Karbov ordered.  Tetso snarled, and became quiet.  "Taking New Mideel will draw out he who has the Eye.  That is the purpose of this endeavor."
     "And who told you this?", one of the generals asked.
     "Darth Lyron did.  He believes that Qui-Xi Lao, or whoever this 'Jedi' is, will be drawn to New Mideel.  If Lyron can capture him, and retrieve the Eye, we can begin Phase Two of my plan."
     "I can't believe this!"  Tetso was furious.  "You're taking the advice of some tattooed freak over that of your own advisors?!  If you think for one moment that this freak of yours is truthful, you are not fit to lead the Imperium!"
     Karbov frowned at the insult to his leadership.  Lyron took a step forward.  "I do not appreciate your lack of respect, Admiral Tetso."  He raised his hand, and began closing his fingers together.
     Tetso grabbed his throat, and gasped weakly.  His face was turning blue from lack of oxygen, his windpipe being crushed by an unseen hand.  He extended his hand outward to Lyron, as if trying to hold back the dark power that was choking the life out of him.  Lyron watched with satisfaction as Tetso keeled over, spasmed for a moment, and died.  "Do any wish to agree with the late Admiral?"  His red eyes burned into the others.  He was answered by a group of shaking heads.  Lyron stepped back beside Karbov.
     "Get that corpse out," Karbov commanded with digust, indicating the cadavar that was Admiral Tetso.  "And get Tetso's aide.  I need a new High Admiral."
     The other generals watched with pale faces as Karbov's personal guard picked up Tetso's dead body and dragged it away.  Karbov noticed this, and grinned.  "Now, where were we?  You were about to inform me of your troops' readiness to invade New Mideel, correct?"
     "Yes, your Eminence...."
 

     Cloud put his hand on the Eye of Tathos, trying to think of what to do next.  Qui-Xi had taken Silas to train over at Cosmo Canyon, where Tifa had followed to ask Qui-Xi to return, Barret had returned to New Corel to marshall the defenses, Cid had returned to Rocket Town, and Vincent had left to find any escapees from Costa del Sol.  He was alone, save for Nanaki, who was in the field watching over some children.  "I hate being alone," he moaned.
     "You're not."
     Cloud's hand was on Ultima Weapon as he whirled around.  Vincent stood in the doorway.  "I see your reflexes are still quite good," he remarked.  He entered the house.
     Behind him came Reno, Rude, and Elena.  Cloud exchanged glares with the three.  "What are they doing here?"
     "Helping you," Reno replied coldly.  "We know where the Imperium is going next."
     "How?"
     Rude snapped his knuckles.  "You would rather not know."
     "That I'm sure of," Cloud said, frowning.  "Well, where are they going to attack?  New Corel?  Fort Condor?"
     "New Mideel."
     "New Mideel?!"  Cloud shook his head.  "That doesn't make sense!  Aside from the warm weather and fishing, they've got almost nothing down there!"
     "We thought the same thing as well.  But that was when we found out that Karbov's entire purpose is to get the Eye of Tathos, which, I believe, is in your hand."  Reno pointed to the purple stone in Cloud's hand.
     "How would taking New Mideel get Karbov the Eye?"
     "Your guess is as good as ours." Elena shrugged.
     "Yeah, well, let the f$*#er try!"
     "Cid!"  Cloud saw Cid enter from the other door.  "You're back?!"
     "Hell yeah!  And I've got me a new beauty too!"  Cid pointed out the window.
     Cloud looked outside, and gasped.  A graceful airship, much like the destroyed Highwind, sat outside in the field.  A pink flower adorned the side.  "What happened to the Bikini Goddess?"  Cloud winked at Cid.
     "I decided to get a bit sentimental with this one.  Say hello to the Aeris."  Cid noticed the Turks for the first time.  "Say, what're those assholes doing here?"
     Elena frowned, Rude remained emotionless, but Reno laughed.  "Very funny, Highwind," he said, grinning slightly.  "I see there is no love lost between us."
     "Hell no!  You Shinra bast...."
     "Cid, calm down," Vincent interrupted.  "Like it or not, the Turks are on our side this time."
     "Nobody executes our employers and gets away with it," Elena added.
     Cloud, still not trusting his former enemies completely, crossed his arms and nodded.  "Fine.  We'll work together on this one."
     "You won't regret it," Rude promised.
     "We'd better not," Cid muttered.  "Anyway, let's go kick some Imperium ass!"
     "Like that'll do any good.  We don't have any weapons capable of taking down Imperium aerofighters or warships."
     "That's what you f$(#in' think!"  Cid walked out the door, Cloud and the former Turks following him.  "The Aeris has two defense guns, three plasma cannons, foreward and aft missile launchers, and a couple of quad-cannons that Qui-Xi let me take off the Lightrunner, since she's not goin' anywhere.  To power it all, I scraped up enough of the old plutonium in Rocket Town to give her a year's supply of nuclear power!"
     "Oh, that's swell Cid, then what happens when the reactor melts down after they blast through the airship's hull?"
     "Hey, that's not all I cannibalized from the Lightrunner.  Took me a f@#*ing week, but I installed the Lightrunner's backup generator to power it's defense shielding and the blaster quad-cannons.  Of course, it's getting pretty low on fuel, so it ain't gonna last long.  Maybe a month if we take it easy."
     "That, Cid, I highly doubt.  But, what choice have we?"  Cloud began walking toward the Aeris.  "We'll need to stop by Cosmo Canyon to pick up Qui-Xi and Tifa."
     "Gotcha, Cloud."
 

     "You have done well these past few weeks, Silas," Qui-Xi said to the young teenager, who was laying on his stomach.  "You still have much to learn, however."
     "Yes Master," he answered.
     Qui-Xi put a hand on Silas's bare shoulder.  "Silas, tomorrow we begin training in one of the most important Jedi arts."  He handed Silas a flashlight-object.  "You will begin to train in the usage of the lightsaber."
     "Really?!"  Silas, who had been too exhausted to stand, turned and looked at Qui-Xi.
     "Yes.  However, I warn you that the training will not be easy.  You must be ready."
     Silas activated the lightsaber, a blue energy blade flashing into existance with a buzz.
     Qui-Xi heard a loud noise overhead, and looked up.  Cid's airship lowered itself to the ground, landing pylons reaching downward to hold the mighty airship until it was ready to take off again.
     Tifa came running out of one of the rooms, putting on her white mid-riff shirt.  "What's going on?"
     "It appears that something has happened."  Qui-Xi began walking toward the landing site of the airship.  Cloud and Cid jumped down from the pulldown ladder coming from the lower platform.  "Is something wrong?", he asked them.
     "Imperium's going to invade New Mideel," Cid answered.  "Gotta get down there and stop 'em!"
     "New Mideel?"  Qui-Xi's interest was piqued.  "Would that be the tropical city on one of the southern islands?"
     "Yeah," Cloud answered.  "They had to rebuild after the Lifestream welled up and destroyed their original town, deep in the jungle.  Fortunately they rebuilt along the coast, near one of the best fishing spots in the world."
     "And it would be in a rough southeastern direction?"
     "Yes."
     Qui-Xi started toward the airship.  "We must depart immediately for New Mideel."
     "And beat the Imperium to it," Cid added.
 

     The Aeris raced through the air at full speed.  Qui-Xi gazed out the bridge window, Cloud and Tifa beside him.  "Why do you want to go to New Mideel, Qui-Xi?"
     "I have felt a new disturbance in the Force.  It is coming from the direction of New Mideel.  Whatever it is, I cannot allow the Imperium to find it."
     "So, what are we gonna do about the fleet?"
     Qui-Xi pointed to the new control panel to Cid's left, the firing control for the cannons.  "We should be able to sink their transports, and force them to call off the invasion.  I trust you have manned the anti-fighter weapons?"
     "Not yet."
     "I would recommend it.  Look."  Qui-Xi pointed out the bridge window.
     Tifa squinted her eyes.  "Oh no!  Imperium aerofighters!"
     "They appear to be on an attack vector," Qui-Xi noted, watching them get closer.
     "Activating those deflectors of your's, Qui-Xi.  Let's hope they hold up!"  Cid pressed a button, and an energy shield hugged the hull of the Aeris tightly.  "Powering up those forward missile launchers.  Elena, take the targeting controls!"
     The blond-haired Turk woman ran over and yelled, "Target lock!"
     "Fire dammit!"
     Four missiles flew from the launchers along the port and starboard sides of the Aeris, leaving long streaks of red smoke as they raced through the air toward the aerofighters.  Two small explosions appeared in the distance.  "Damn," Elena cursed, "the last two missed!"
     "Here they come!"
     The six remaining aerofighters strafed the Aeris, their yellow energy bolts creating blue "glitter" in the otherwise invisible energy shield.  Defense guns opened fire, but their projectile ammunition proved insufficient to do anything outside of knocking the aerofighters around.  "Reno, Charlie, give 'em hell!"  Cid gritted his teeth as he tried to keep the Aeris steady.
     Two aerofighters exploded after being hit by the blaster quad-cannons.  The other four raced away, ready to come in on a new attack vector.
     "What the f$(#?!"  Cid pounded the screen beside his control station.  "Shield's goin' down!  Something's wrong with the generator!"
     Qui-Xi turned to the back of the bridge.  "R2-Z5, repair the deflectors!"
     His small red droid bleeped in response and descended down the stairs to the second deck.
     "They're coming in again!"  Elena ran over to the plasma cannon controls.  "Want me to use...."
     "No," Qui-Xi interrupted her.  "Your chance of hitting them is minimal, and the plasma cannons will require several seconds to cool down."
     "So?!  We're just going to let them...."
     "They're flying low, down by the outside platform....."  Vincent looked up from the radar controls.  "They appear to be growing legs."
     "Silas, stay here!"  Qui-Xi took his lightsaber from his waist, and ran down the stairs, Cloud, Reno, and Vincent following him.
     Cid watched Silas begin moving toward the stairs through the corner of his eye.  "Kid, he said stay here!"
     Silas gripped his lightsaber.  "Yeah, well, he might need my help."
     "Silas, keep your ass here!", Cid shouted, Silas having already disappeared below the deck.
 

     Qui-Xi's lightsaber was a blue, it's buzz filling the air as he deflected multiple shots from the aerofighters turned humanoid heavy infantry.  Cloud jumped over him, sending Ultima Weapon's purple part-energy part-metallic blade through one of the aerofighters.  Vincent opened fire with his shotgun, keeping one of balance long enough for Reno to activate his EM rod.  The electromagnetic field eminating from his rod fried the aerofighter's internal circuitry, causing it to fall lifelessly to the floor.  Reno turned to the one Qui-Xi was now shielding himself from, and pointed his EM rod toward it.  This aerofighter did nothing.  "Damn, EM shielding!  How the hell did Karbov get his hands on Scarlet's EM-deflecting armor?!"
     "I don't know!"  Cloud tried to jump by Qui-Xi and repeat the process that had proved useful earlier, but collapsed to the ground when a yellow bolt grazed his shoulder.  He gripped the wounded shoulder, which burned with pain.
     "Cloud!"  Qui-Xi tried to move toward the aerofighter, but it's impressive rapid-fire array kept him at bay.  He tried to concentrate, to use the Force to destroy the aerofighter's internals.....
     Silas leapt over him and the aerofighter, landing behind it, and very nearly leaping off.  Giving himself a moment to regain his balance from the out-of-control jump, he activated his lightsaber.  The blue energy blade impaled the aerofighter, causing it to stop firing.  Silas cut upward, destroying the aerofighter's internal CPU and bringing it down.
     "Silas, behind you!"
     Heeding Cloud's warning, Silas turned, and raised his lightsaber in defense from the last aerofighter, which raised one of it's "wings" to stick into Silas' body.  The aerofigher began bursting sparks and electric current, and fell, victim to Reno's EM rod.  "Looks like they're not all EM shielded," Reno chuckled, a smirk on his face.
     Vincent helped Cloud to his feet.  "Pretty bad burn there."
     "Let's get back in."  Cloud ignored the seering pain as he walked back to the door that would take him to the lower deck.
     "Silas, I told you to remain on the bridge," Qui-Xi reminded his student.
     "Master, I apologize, but I thought I would be of more use....."
     "You might have gotten yourself killed," Qui-Xi scolded.  Seeing Silas's hurt expression, the elder Jedi sighed.  "Your heart was in the right place, Silas, but your combat training is woefully inadequate.  Perhaps it is a fault of my own, for I should have known you would be seeing combat before your time."  He put a hand on Silas's shoulder, a slight smile on his face.  "You are young, Silas.  Impetous, brash, aggressive, and perhaps too bold.  Much like myself when I was a Padawan learner under the tutelage of Mace Windu, before he ascended to the Jedi Council.  But these characteristics can be a strength as well as a weakness.  Remember that."
     "Yes Master."
     The teacher and student entered the lower deck.  "Worry not, Silas, for I feel that you shall become a great Jedi Knight."
     "I would be honored to follow in your footsteps."
     Qui-Xi nodded.  "We are the last of the Jedi, Silas.  When I pass beyond to become one with the Force, I will leave you to carry on our ways.  Now, let us go see the extent of the damage...."
     Cloud and Tifa watched them go, Tifa's hand applying a bandage to Cloud's charred shoulder.  "Silas seems so.... different.  He never respected anyone the way he respects Qui-Xi."
     "I guess it's the training," Cloud said, shrugging.
     Tifa playfully slapped him on the head.  "Hold still!"
     "Hurry up," he countered.
     "I'm trying!"
 

     Qui-Xi stepped onto the bridge.  "Have you discovered the problem with the deflectors?"
     Cid nodded.  "Yeah, firing the quad cannons and using the deflectors blew half my f$*#ing power grid down there!  Looks like it can't handle more than one task at a time."
     "Then we shall have to make due."  Qui-Xi walked back to the window.  "Are we back on course?"
     "Yeah.  I took us low so we could avoid more of those Imperium aerofighter patrols."
     Qui-Xi looked down the window at the tropical waters below them.  "I can feel the Lifestream below us."
     "Really?!"  Cid's head shot up from the display.  "How the f$(# are...."
     "It feels like a current below this planet's surface.  The Force flows from it."
     Silas stood beside him.  "Yes, I feel them too.  Like blood vessels, carrying the Force through our planet.  Currents of the Force....."
     "Very good, Silas," Qui-Xi complimented him.
 

     Santos was in a panic as he burst into his home, his children and Schala looking up from their various seats.  "We've got to leave, now!"
     "Why?"  Crysta emerged from the kitchen.
     "The Imperium!  They're coming!"
     "The who?!"  Schala stood to her feet.
     "No time to explain, girl."  Santos grabbed his children by the hand, and dragged them outside.  Schala ran behind Crysta, and gasped when she saw three massive warships sitting on the horizon.  A puff of smoke appeared.  Her mind urged her onward, so she ran to catch up with Santos.  "Hurry children!"
     Santos's home exploded.
     The explosion threw Schala to her stomach.  She turned back, and saw nothing but ash and debris.  "No!"  Tears came to her eyes because of the destruction of her new home.
     Santos's friend Kyle grabbed her, dragging her onward.  "Come on girl," he said to her, "we've got to get to cover!"
 

     "We're too late!"
     Tifa pointed toward the ocean near New Mideel.  Three massive Imperium battleships, and many other smaller transports, sat off the coast.  "They're invading!"
     "Only a few platoons have successfully deployed so far."  Qui-Xi pointed toward a couple of transports on the beach.  "Land me there so I can assist the people in destroying the drones."
     "I'm going too," Cloud said, standing up from the ground.
     "No.  You are wounded.  Reno and Vincent shall be sufficient."  Qui-Xi turned to Silas.  "Silas, I know you wish to join me in this, but you must stay here.  Trust me."
     "Yes Master," Silas promised.
     Qui-Xi nodded, and walked down the the lower deck with Reno and Vincent behind him.
 

     The Aeris soared low over the beach, heading straight for the transports.  Qui-Xi was the first to leap the ten feet to the ground, Vincent and Reno following.  All three landed on their feet about six feet away from a group of six blue-painted Imperium battle drones.  Qui-Xi's lightsaber flashed into existance, his arms a blur as he sliced through two of the drones from the onset.  Reno raised the power of his EM rod, and flashed it toward another pair.  When they didn't fall, he set the rod for electric output, and thrust it into them, damaging their internals with electricity.  Vincent's eyes flashed, the mutated cells in his body morphing him into the form of the powerful Chaos beast.  Vincent/Chaos' claws cut into one of the drones, shredding it.  His tough skin proved effective against the energy bolts being fired at him.  The last three drones focused their firepower on Vincent/Chaos, but barely had a chance to fire off their first shots before Qui-Xi decapitated them with one slice from his lightsaber.  "That was easy," Reno said, kicking one of the decapitated drones.
     "There are more."  Qui-Xi turned, deflecting back a pair of shots to the drones firing them.  Another platoon came over a small dune on the beach, and the battle was joined once again.
 

     "Forward plasma cannon locked," Elena said, smiling wickedly.
     "Let's try these puppies out!  Blow the shit out of 'em!"
     A large green energy bolt rocked the Aeris with recoil force as it flew toward a battleship.  Barely a second passed before it impacted, vaporizing and melting some of the armor, and ripping away what was left with kinetic force.  A magazine exploded, ripping the bow in half.
     "Hot damn!"  Cid's eyes widened.  "I've got to get me more of these!"
     "Cannon will take three minutes to cool down enough for another shot.  Move us so I can hit one of those transports!"
     "Welcome to the New Mideel Turkey Shoot."  Cid changed the Aeris's relative position, enabling Elena to line up the starboard plasma cannon with a formationf of transports.  Another green bolt sent a tremor through the airship as it slammed into one of the transports.  The transport exploded, the shockwave slamming the other transports and capsizing some of them, damaging the others.  "This is putting a strain on the reactor," Cid growled.  "Gotta get some altitude so we can cool the reactor and the cannons off before we blow ourselves straight to hell."  The Aeris rose into the sky.
 

     "Mighty Emperor Karbov," one of Karbov's aides said as he entered the throne room.  "We have news from the invasion."
     "Yes?"
     "A strange airship has appeared, and is destroying our transports with weaponry much like our own."
     Karbov clenched his fist.  "Good.  Now Lyron must get the Eye."
 

     "Move along," a drone commanded Schala.  The entire family had been surrounded by invading Imperium drones, and now seemed to be destined for the horrible slave labor camps Schala had heard rumors of.  A part of her yearned for the abilities she possessed in Zeal, despite the fact that those abilities were tainted by Lavos.
     "We're moving.  Just don't hurt the kids!"  Santos shielded his boys, wincing when an impatient drone stuck the muzzle of his rifle in his back.
     Schala tried to think while they were herded back toward the shore.  There had to be something she could do, something to get them all.....
     A roar filled the air, causing Kai and Victor to whimper with fear.  A giant purple beast flew above, using it's fearsome claws to rend a drone.  A buzz filled the air, causing Schala to turn.  A man in a cloak sliced two of the drones in half with a green energy blade in his hands, then deflected some of the other drones' shots back at them with the same blade.  He grabbed Schala's arm.  "You must come with me!"
     "Who are you?"
     "There is no time!  You must all come with me!"
     "Tell me who you are!", Schala demanded.
     The man nodded.  "I am Qui-Xi Lao.  Now you must come with me.  Reno!  Vincent!  We must hurry!"
     "What's wrong with you?  We have more drones to kill," Reno pointed out.
     Qui-Xi went to speak, but was caught off by a loud whine.  "Children, down!"
     Kai and Victor landed on their stomachs, barely avoiding the hoverbike that flew over them.  Darth Lyron leapt from the bike, his red lightsaber flashing into existance as he flew toward Qui-Xi.  Qui-Xi lifted his lightsaber in defense, deflecting Lyron's first blows.  "Hurry!  Get back to the airship, now!"  Qui-Xi's lightsaber made contact with Lyron's, causing brilliant flashes of light upon impact.  Lyron spun around for a moment, trying to hit Qui-Xi with a roundhouse kick.  Qui-Xi leaned backward to avoid the attack, and tried to use the opening to strike Lyron.  Lyron's own lightsaber stopped his at the last minute.
     "Who the hell....."  Reno watched Qui-Xi and Lyron continue their duel, grabbing his phone.  "Elena, have Cid bring the airship low.  We have a situation on our hands."
     Lyron's red eyes burned into Qui-Xi's.  "Give me the Eye," he commanded.
     "No," Qui-Xi answered defiantly, deflecting Lyron's attacks that came in response to his answer.
     "I will have the Eye, Qui-Xi," Lyron said, snarling.  "And you... you will die."
     Qui-Xi remained silent, fighting off the Sith Lord with all of his strength.  Lyron mounted an offensive, slamming into Qui-Xi with a fast barrage of thrusts and slashes.  Each one was deflected by Qui-Xi, but both knew that Lyron was in control of the fight.
     Nearby, the Aeris hovered near the ground, Reno and Tifa helping Santos and family get in the airship.  "Qui-Xi, come on!"
     Qui-Xi heard Tifa's shout, still fighting off Lyron.  "Leave!  Now!"
     "Not without you!"
     Qui-Xi deflected an attack from Lyron, and leapt backwards.  Cid brought the Aeris near him, and with his second jump, he managed to grab hold of the railing on the outer platform.  Tifa and Silas hauled him up, the Aeris rising into the sky.  Qui-Xi was gasping for air by the time he was on the deck of the Aeris.  "Who was that guy?"
     "That, Silas, was a Sith Lord," Qui-Xi said, his breathing heavy.  "Where is the family we rescued?"
     "On the lower deck."
     "And New Mideel?"
     Tifa's face fell.  "We can't stop them from taking the town, Qui-Xi.  The Aeris can't handle the strain it's own weapons put on it.  We nearly shook ourselves to pieces firing the plasma cannons."
     Qui-Xi frowned.  "Then another town falls to the Imperium."
     Tifa nodded sadly.
     Qui-Xi sighed.  "We must return to the Canyon."
     "Cid was going back to Nibelheim, but I guess he'll take you there first."
 

     Schala stepped off the Aeris, trying to take in her new surroundings.  The ground of the Canyon was reddish brown, the air dry.  The sun was setting in the background, giving everything a reddish hue.
     "Child, who are you?"  Qui-Xi stepped up behind her.
     "My name is Schala."
     "That much I know.  But there is something about you.  You are much like me, for you are not of this world."
     "How... how do you know that?"  Schala's heart jumped, not wanting to be mistreated for being an outsider.  I suppose it would be ironic justice.  Crono and his friends were mistreated by my people for being outsiders.
     "Come, child.  I have much to tell you."  Qui-Xi led Schala toward the town.
     Silas went to follow them, then stopped for a moment.  Tifa stood behind him.  "You did good, Silas," she congratulated him.  "You should have been with us in AVALANCHE back when we were fighting Shinra."
     "I'm afraid that, without Qui-Xi's training, I wouldn't be more than cannon fodder."
     "You've changed, Silas."  Tifa walked up to him, putting a hand on his shoulder.  "You're more mature.  Qui-Xi has done you a lot of good."
     "Thank you, Tifa."  Silas stared into her brown eyes, and fought to contain the desire he felt for her.  "But a small part of me will never allow me to get my eyes off you."
     "Silas, that's okay.  You're a good friend."
     "That's the problem, Tifa.  I want to be more than a good friend to you.  I...."  Silas put his lips to her's, kissing her lightly.  Tifa merely gazed into his eyes, not responding to the unwelcomed kiss.  "But you belong to another person."  Silas sighed, looking at the Aeris.  "And he's going to be waiting for you."
     "Silas, don't worry."  She patted him on the cheek.  "You'll find someone else."
     Silas nodded, his heart aching as Tifa walked away.  He waved goodbye to her when the Aeris lifted off.  Breathing a deep sigh, he walked away.
 

     Schala stared at Qui-Xi, amazed.  Even though our own origins are shrouded in myth, Zeal didn't exist for more than six centuries.  Yet his Republic lasted for over twenty-five millennia?!  How is that possible?!
     "Schala, I must ask, what will you be doing now?"  Qui-Xi sat next to her.
     Schala's expression was blank.  "I... I don't know.  I was hoping to stay in New Mideel, but...."
     Qui-Xi put a hand on her shoulder.  "Schala, you have a different destiny.  I found you because you are a strong presence in the Force.  Your midichlorian count rivals that of Anakin Skywalker himself.  If you stay here, I can train you to be a Jedi.  To give you a purpose in life."
     "There's something else, isn't there?"  Schala stared into his eyes.  "That mysterious man who attacked you...."
     "His is a Sith Lord, trying to kill me."
     "And the Eye he spoke of?"
     Qui-Xi sighed.  "The Eye of Tathos is sought by the leader of the Imperium.  It is a gateway to the Dark Nether, where the Dark One Zeromus is sealed away.  We believe Karbov wishes to open the seal, enter the Dark Nether, and leave before Zeromus escapes so that he can acquire the power to destroy those who oppose him."
     "No, not again...."  Schala's face lost it's color.
     "What, child?"
     "My mother, she tried to harness the power of an evil creature named Lavos.  Lavos awoke from her efforts, and nearly destroyed me and my brother.  A young boy sacrificed himself to save us.  Afterward I was sucked into a Gate, and found myself drowning.  That was when Santos found me."
     "The Force must have brought you here, Schala."  Qui-Xi put a hand on her shoulder.  "Will you help us?  The training will not be easy, and the life of a Jedi is not for the weak of spirit."
     Schala thought of Crono's sacrifice, the grief of his friends, and the probable destruction of her home.  "Yes, I will join you," she said, full of determination.  She had failed to save Zeal from it's folly, and Crono's blood was on her hands.  This was her chance to wash that blood off.
     "We shall begin training tomorrow."
     Silas entered, bowing to Qui-Xi.  "You called for me, Master?"
     "Silas, meet your fellow student.  This is Schala.  Schala, this is Silas Torson."
     Silas was struck by Schala's strength of will as he walked toward her.  Her purple eyes shined with determination, her soul filled with resolve.  Her exotic purple hair flowed down her shoulders.  Silas picked up her hand, and kissed it.  "Nice to meet you, Schala."
     "Thank you," she answered.
     Silas felt his heart quicken.  Her eyes were magnets, drawing him to her.  The feeling and attraction he held for Tifa was blown away by Schala's inner beauty.  "I shall take you to your room.  Tomorrow will be a big day."  He led Schala toward her room.
     Qui-Xi watched them go, a slight smile coming to the elder Jedi Knight's face.  That is the purpose of the Force, he realized.  They are the future of the Jedi.  They will be the ones to carry on our purpose after I leave this mortal plane.
 

     "Tifa, I've been meaning to ask you something....."
     Tifa rolled over in the bed, Cloud beside her.  "What, Cloud?"
     "Well, we've been together for the last year or so, and I was wondering....."  He put a hand in her black hair, twirling it around his fingers.  "You know we're going to beat this thing."
     "How do you know that?"
     "Because we don't have a choice."
     Tifa nodded.  "You're right when it comes to that."
     "Well, when we beat this thing, I wanted to know if you would be willing to do something."
     "Do what?"  Tifa kissed his cheek.
     "Marry me."
 

     "You failed, Lyron.  Gods, I am a fool for trusting you!"
     Karbov stomped around his throne room, Lyron standing before him.  "You should have destroyed him and taken the Eye!  Instead you let them all get away!"
     "The Eye was not with him."
     Karbov glared at the Sith Lord.  "What do you mean the Eye was not with him?!"
     "I would have sensed it's presence.  It was not there."
     Karbov pointed a finger at Lyron.  "You lie!  You're just another incompetent fool I should have kil...."  Karbov grabbed his throat, feeling his trachea being constricted.
     Lyron kneeled beside him, a frown on his face.  His fingers were nearing each other, but not touching.  "I am not one of your expendible generals, Karbov.  I tolerate you, but that does not mean I am loyal to you.  I could kill you whenever I wish, and your quest for the Eye of Tathos would end here.  I want Qui-Xi; that is all.  Cross me again, and you will not live to see your precious Eye.  Do you understand?"
     Karbov nodded quickly.
     Lyron's frown turned to an evil smile.  "Good."  He dropped his hand, allowing Karbov to breathe again.  "Now, you have New Mideel and Costa del Sol added to your Imperium.  I recommend that the next target be New Corel."
     "Agreed," Karbov rasped.
     "I shall be leaving to rest, Emperor.  Go enjoy your new harem of Mideel prisoners."  Lyron cackled.  "Yes, I know what happens to the young women you capture," he informed Karbov, cutting off the Emperor's coming question.  "Did you think you could hide anything from me?  I even know about the gas vents you had installed in my room.  And the explosives, and the hidden spy devices."  Lyron's red eyes burned into Karbov's mind.  "Don't worry, Emperor.  I left everything outside of the explosives intact.  Wouldn't want to destroy your precious equipment."  Lyron threw his black cloak around his shoulders, and walked out of the throne room.
     Karbov watched the Sith Lord leave.  I was a fool to allow this maniac to ally himself with me!
 

     The fabric of space rippled.  A rift was forming, powered by the dark energies of a man with a noble mission.  To find his sister.  To recover her, and bring her back to their home to rebuild.  It would take him a while to punch through the fabric of space and time, but the effort had to be made.
     The Controllers watched him.  "Arrived the final player has," Yoda said.  "The coming of the Dark One we will see soon."
     "The unknown variable still exists," Valen reminded.
     "The balance has been disturbed," a new Controller stated, a black humanoid whom had been bald in his previous life, with a beard covering his chin.  "It will need to be restored."
     "The Sisko is correct," their leader agreed.  "We should alert the Heroes to the existance of the Eye of Palom."
     "The end of the dawn is nigh," Kosh noted.
     "Restored the balance will be.  Alert the Heroes we must."
     "But we cannot break our order's vow of non-interference," Valen disagreed.  "We shall have to choose an emissary of our will."
     "Agree I do, Valen.  Choose the emissary you must, Sisko."
     "I will choose, when the time is right......"