Worlds Away From Reality
- Final Fantasy III - Final Fantasy VII - Breath of Fire III - Megaman X - The Little Mermaid -

Chapter Two

Through Darkness, Upon Sky

"Deafening guidance, unthrobbing heart
lead us, your vision, through untimely art..."

Vincent's long black hair hung around his body throughout the prayer. He knelt in his small antichamber in Nibelheim, dispising the world around him. While the rest of his friends believed they were heros, Vincent realized that killing his love's only son deepened his sin. And the only way out was through necromancy.

Satanic emblems decorated the walls of Vincent's chamber in the most gothic way. Drawn in his own blood on the floor was the Dark Gate symbol. Upon joining this so-called religeon, born out of Sephiroth's theories of Reunion, Vincent had lived a torturous existance in solitude.

5 years had passed since Sephiroth had been killed, and Vincent decided that the only way he could have pleased his love would have been to fight beside him in his quest. Death would have come welcome from Sephiroth's hands, but instead he followed Cloud- his thoughts of revenge against Hojo were far greater than his loyalty to Lucrecia... and for that, his truest sin, he could never be forgiven.

"Through darkness, upon sky
darkest hours never die..."

Vincent could vaguely hear the Christmas celebrations above, in the small backwater town of Nibelheim. But it was none of his business. Oh, how he longed to leave the shackles of sin and join the joyous occasions above- but he was inhuman. His evildoings to great. He prevented Sephiroth from creating a perfect world, where one being ruled all in peace... moreover, he failed his true love by not acknowledging her son's calling.

A silent tear fell down Vincent's face. It was not the first. It would not be the last.

Your sins are many.

They were. Vincent acknowledged the darkness calling out to him. "I know. Too many to forgive."

Repent.

"Indeed. But how... Lucrecia..."

Come with me... together we will gain Sephiroth's dream of a perfect reality!

"Sephiroth. Is this he?"

A silvery, whistling wind extinguished the candles lit in the tomb, engulfing Vincent in a deep darkness.

I can help you wipe your sins clean... and you can help me achieve my goal.

Vincent closed his eyes and held out his hand. "Then I trust you. Take me, O Darkness."

And it did. A silver net fell upon Vincent's form-

-and he no longer was.


Rei the Protector

The voice had been quiet for some time. Ariel sat in a small corner of her cell, clutching her knees, unable to sleep since this cat, Rei, was snoring so loudly.

Well, if the voice was accurate, then she and Rei were on the same side. Ariel snuck up next to the cat (who was still very cold and wet) and poked him in the ribs.

Rei just snorted.

"Geez... vortexes, strange voices, and cat men. What is next?"

At any rate, Rei seemed to be a heavy sleeper. Ariel decided to use the same trick she used on Eric when he snored: she pinched Rei's nostrils together.

Upon which the cat, with a terrible screech, leapt upward, putting a long gash in Ariel's arm.

"Ah!!" yelped Ariel, more shocked than hurt. Rei reached back for his knives, which he realized he had left at home. Both breathed deeply- Ariel's large crystal blue eyes met Rei's catlike emerald ones head on.

"Who are you?" Rei inquired.

"My name is Ariel. And you are Rei, right?"

Rei nodded once. Even if this Ariel was his enemy, she wouldn't be much of a match for him. "Sorry about that wound." Rei ripped a piece of cloth from his shirt (still damp from his swim) and tied it around Ariel's bleeding arm. "You got captured too, aye? Well, doesn't this just beat all."

Rei then examined his surroundings. "What are ya, Ariel? I mean, like what do you do for a living?"

"Princess," Ariel responded. "And I'm not used to this kind of thing."

"Princess, huh..." Rei repeated, as he popped the lock to the cell door with his claw. "I know a Princess. But she gots wings and acts all big an' bad like she owns me... she's in love with my best buddy Ryu."

Ariel stood up, astonished. "You... just opened our cell."

"Yeah. I'm a thief, I guess you could say. Not much of a thief without my daggers, but I think I can get us out of here alright."

"Well, I'm not an adventurer..." muttered Ariel.

"Heh, not to worry. I happen to be one."

Rei led Ariel down a dark corridor. Rei was peering around the corner to check for guards, but there were none... just another endless corridor.

"Well, what kind of adventuring have you done?"

"Just the basics. Walkin' around with a dragon, saving folks, defeating egotistical goddesses, ya know, that kind of thing."

Ariel gasped. "Dr... Dragons? There are dragons where you're from?"

Rei shook his head. "Naw. Were, though. You'll have to meet my friend, Ry..." Suddenly it dawned on Rei exactly where he wasn't."

"What did you mean by that! Like I ain't on my planet no more?!"

"Look, I don't know, but don't yell at me about it!"

Rei sat on the ground, massaging his temple. "Don't this just beat all. Stuck on some other girl's planet with no way home."

Ariel sat next to him, trying to console him. "Well, this isn't exactly my home either. I don't have a clue where we are. This strange light swallowed my husband's ship on Christmas Eve, and..."

Rei chuckled. "Well, I dunno what Christmas is either."

Ariel leaned backwards. "Don't worry- neither did I untill just a few years ago. So what religeon are you?"

"Like I said: we destroyed the only goddess our planet had. Now life is better, I suppose, but folks like me are still without hope. If it hadn't have been for Ryu, I don't think I could have survived..." Rei began to feel a deep sense of appreciation for his friend, now that he realized he may never see him again.

"He sounds like a great friend."

"The best. Putting up with a creep like me."

Rei stood up, ready to continue the journey. "Sorry I ain't much help... but it seems to me I'm all you got right now."

"Same to you."

They started walking again, down another insanely long hallway. "So," began Rei, "tell me about your husband. Nice guy?"

"Of course! Eric is caring, warm hearted..."

"...human?"

Ariel cocked her head. "Er, yeah. That would only make sense."

"I only ask that cuz on my world, not a whole lot of humans around."

"Why? Does everyone have tails and black stripes?"

Rei laughed. "I think you're right. Our worlds are very different places."

The two walked for what seemed like hours. After a long time, Ariel sunk to the ground. "I think we'd better rest..." she said. Rei was about to protest, then remembered he was in presence of a princess. And though he didn't know where she was from, or was not one of her subjects, felt that he had to respect her in that aspect.

Besides, Rei's feet were killing him too.

Rei leaned against the wall, realizing he hadn't easten in nearly two days.

Suddenly, ahead of him, a large, white, circular portal opened up. Rei had to shield his eyes from the brightness...

...and when he opened them, a tall man with pale skin, long black hair, and a flowing red cape stood before him.

"Rei. Ariel," he said simply.

Ariel and Rei stood up, and Rei stepped forward. Something inside told him that Ariel was not a fighter, so he would have to protect her if that is what came to pass...

"Yeah, I'm Rei. What's it to ya?"

"I am Vincent Valentine, and have been chosen to lead the two of you, as well as the others."

"Lead us where, chump? Me an' her are gettin' outta this hellhole and goin' back home."

Vincent sneered. "I'm afraid I can't tolerate that. I am under strict orders by our new master to recruit you by any force necessary."

Nicholi tumbled over in pain, knocking Celes' table lamp off of her night stand. "No! I won't help you! I... I... I... am not an Esper..."

Rei growled under his breath. "Bring it on, sucker. No way in hell you gonna touch her, or me, or recruit us for your master."

Ariel gasped in horror as a change overtook Rei's body. His muscles bulged out, his clothing ripped away from his flesh. Within seconds he was merely a large tiger, incapable of speech or human thought. She crumpled back against the wall, terrified.

Vincent shook his head. "Is that it?" and he, too, underwent a transformation. His skin turned night black and his hair flew wildy. His teeth grew into long fangs and his arms into large, sharp claws.

Rei made the first move. He gashed with his claw at Vincent with all of the instinct and rage of an animal. Vincent, however, who had retained his human brain, caught Rei's flying fist and whipped it around to his back. Rei screamed (or rather roared) in pain. Then, with the ancient rage within him, Vincent threw Rei across the hallway, engulfed in flames.

Ariel screamed as Vincent approached her next. But before he arrived, Rei, obviously still in a barrage of pain, grabbed Vincent by the face, leaving vast claw marks through his skin. Vincent hit the ground, and slowly reverted to his human form, muttering something.

Rei, too, fell to the ground, exhausted. As Vincent tried to pick himself up, something fell out of his belt holster. By some strange knowledge, Ariel knew it was a weapon, and lunged for it.

It was small, black, and far more futuristic than Ariel was used to. Unsure of how it was activated, Ariel simply hid it from Vincent's view.

Rei, too, slowly morphed back into his human form, but he was in bad shape. Vincent's initial attack was too much for him. "Ar...iel..." he muttered, then lost consciousness.

Ariel breathed deeply, unsure of what to do. She closed her eyes and thought of all the times her father had bailed her out of trouble, but this was way out of her league. Something wanted to torture her in this strange new world...

After a long time of contemplating this, Ariel's head sunk down into her crossed arms, wrapped around her knees. She was unable to do anything- but cry.


Truth Inspired By Pain

Setzer had landed the Magician in central Jidoor, where his friends Locke and Celes resided. Nicholi was moved inside, to lay down and begin curing his fever. He was sweating profusely and would mutter from time to time.

Terra was in better shape, though she insisted she could hear the same voices echoing in her mind. She wasn't as affected by it, however, and spent her time watching over Nicholi.

Every now and again something would happen, throwing Nicholi into a wave of madness- a blast of pain. But someone would console him back to sleep.

It was nearly midnight. The winds howled outside, a light snow falling over Jidoor. Strago, Terra, Celes, and Locke were sitting around the dining room table conversing about the strange events.

"Nicholi has never been like this," said Strago, who had known Nicholi for a very long time. The two were very old friends, and they used to adventure together. Nicholi, back in the olden days when he was young, was an accomplished swordsman and master blue mage. He also had control over esper magic, as he was the last of the Thamasians with esper blood in him. His spells were very weak, merely pale curing techniques, but vast compared to that of the rest of his city.

"He was always calm. Collected things, weapons, books. Never said a harsh word unless he had good reason to say it. Firm. But never like this."

"Then why is he like this now?" asked Locke, still trying to adjust to the situation. "What triggered this fever?"

Strago and Terra told what they knew about this "Fictional Death" Nicholi went on and on about. Neither Locke nor Celes understood it, but felt better once they realized that Terra and Strago didn't understand it either.

"The only clues we have are some words that Nicholi was uttering... ray, aerial, fiction, time... it doesn't make sense."

"Ray, aerial, fiction, time," Celes repeated. "Was there anything else?"

Terra shook her head. "Nothing else we could understand. It's all gibberish."

Celes sighed. "But I thought you said you could hear it too?"

"To some extent. It's more like a feeling. Like a guidance. It hurts. And I don't know why. Like someone is trying to prove something."

Just then, a crash from Celes' bedroom. The four ran in to see what was happening. Nicholi was doubled over in the bed, coughing up blood. Celes' antique lamp (which had been purchased from the Jidoor Auction House for over 25 thousand gil) lay smashed on the ground.

"Nicholi!" cried Strago. He ran over to his friend and lay him back on the pillow.

"No, Strago... it's no good..." mumbled Nicholi hoarsly, hacking and coughing in the most painful way. "They're fighting. She's crying. And I'm powerless to stop it."

"Who, Nicholi! Who!"

"The... ones sent here... to help... to help me..."

Nicholi closed his eyes, suddenly calm. Strago and Terra exchanged glances.

"Strago. The Fictional Death. Is coming. My books."

It is not time...

"Strago. You have to help me. We have to help them. We have to stop him."

There is yet another...

"Who, Nicholi! Damn you, you aren't making sense!"

If you defy your heritage you are worthless...

"The Fictional Death. My books."

Do you hear me Terra?

"Wha...?" Terra stumbled backwards into a chair behind her. "I hear it. Nicholi is not insane. It is coming."

You are a part of it!

"And we have to be prepared."


Throughout Future, Throughout Time

X and Zero flew through the streets of Monstropolis on their jet bikes. They had just received a distress signal- Sigma and his Maverick army were attacking the Endinos Corporation Building, headquarters to a worldwide technological empire. Monstropolis was built around Endinos- it was their entire economy. If it was destroyed, then Monstropolis would be thrown into chaos.

Luckily, X and Zero knew what to expect. They were best friends and had crossed paths with Sigma many times in the past. It seemed this time he had only a small army of robots, all drones. The rest of the Maverick Hunters were on call.

"Let's hurry this up, X," said Zero, as the Endinos building came into view. "I wanna get back home and finish that game."

X laughed. "Video games. That's all you ever do in your spare time. You oughtta come down with me an' play some real games!"

"We got a real life game to worry about now though,"

"Let's rock and roll!"

X ignited the airborne boosters on his bike and rocketed off the ground. Zero followed suit. "

"Get yer big guns ready, yo!"

"God dammit, they don't get much bigger'n this!"

X fired a blast of energy out of his cannon, shattering a 32nd story window of the building. The two bikes flew into the building and came to an abrupt stop.

Zero looked around. "I don't see nothin'."

"Neither do I. You go downstairs and call the gang in and keep the Mavericks out of the upper floors. Sigma is undoubtedly at the sattelite on the roof."

"Sounds like a plan. Keep your ass outta trouble, X."

"Yeah, you know me."

"That's what I'm worried about." Zero burned down the stairs to the floors below.

X dismounted his bike and walked up the one flight of stairs to the roof. A large sattelite was there, the key to the Endinos empire, and sure enough, Sigma was attaching a bomb to it.

"Well, well, well." X's hand drew into his arm with a whirring sound, revealing his arm cannon. He locked in on Sigma's head and began charging the energy pacs to full capacity.

"Welcome, Megaman X. I knew you would come for me." Sigma drew his sword, a neon metal that is known for cleaving through cybernetic skin, and approached his nemesis. "Your gun will do little good, Megaman. I am shielded against it."

X sneered. "Nothing protects against my energy cannon. Now disable the bomb or I will be forced to annihilate you."

"You talk big, X. Try it. Hit me!"

X knew better than to call Sigma's bluff. He fired his fully charged arm shot at an overhanging metal beam. Waves upon waves of pure white energy chewed through the metal. The beam dropped onto Sigma, knocking his sword out of his hands. Sigma screamed in pain. "You will never disarm the bomb in time! Give up, Megaman!"

As Sigma tried to remove the beam from his body, X examined the bomb. Nothing short of Sigma's access code would unlock it. The digital timer ticked off the seconds to immenent doom.

"What's the code Sigma!?"

"(argh) Yo mamma! (ack)"

*INPUT ACCESS CODE* yomamma_
*ACCESS DENIED*

34 seconds. 30. 27.

"Sigma if this thing goes off it will kill you too!"

"Then I will find another body... (ugh)"

*INPUT ACCESS CODE*

20 seconds. 17. 13.

Try the code "drlight."

"Who said that!?"

It will save Endinos...

*INPUT ACCESS CODE* drlight_
*ACCESS GRANTED*

The timer froze at 6 seconds. X breathed a sigh of relief.

"No!" screamed Sigma.

Spotlights surrounded the tower. Zero and a few other Maverick Hunters emerged through the stairwell door.

"X! Is it disarmed?"

"Yep."

X knelt down by Sigma's face and slapped across it with his hand. "Game over. I win."

The Maverick Hunters triumphantly left the tower. But for some reason X stayed behind. "I'll catch up later Zero. Go finish your game."

Zero nodded and walked away. X looked off in the distance, in the direction the voice he heard came from.

Now that I've helped you, you are obligated to help me, X.

X strained his eyes. In the distance, a wave of light seemed to be glimmering on the horizon. "That's odd," said X to himself. "It's hours before daybreak..."

Succumb, X! I need your help.

"Succumb?"

It would bring you strength!

"Strength? What the hell..."

I will take care of the rest!

X shielded his eyes. Suddenly his surroundings were very bright- he could hardly stand it. "Zero!" he called.

But when he opened his eyes, nothing but darkness.

By the time Rei woke up, Ariel had fallen asleep. And there was a newcomer. A tall man who wore futuristic white armor, and had a large cannon grafted into his hand. "God damn it," said Rei. "Doesn't this just beat all?"

Chapter One

Mail Brick

Chapter Three